NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuilding 351W

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebuilding 351W
    Posted: March-29-2010 at 7:05pm
Hey guys. I am undertaking an engine rebuild of a 351W EFI out of my 1995 Sport Nautique. It started knocking really bad at the end of last season, so I hoisted up the engine about 2 feet, just enough to replace the bearings. Cyclinder 7 was spun. 1 bearing slid on top of the other and as flat as could be.. So $90 later I had new bearings in and it sounded great... It was a long shot, and I lost.. about 10 minutes after getting it into the water.... knock knock knock... click... and the motor won't move at all. This time I am obviously pulling the motor out. I am going to replace the crank shaft, bearings, main seals, and take the rods to get tested for true at the local machine shop. I know I have a LH rotation engine (standard) so I can get many of the part from any auto parts store. I have seen that cranks for marine 351s are different than cranks for automotive, and when I look at prices, the auto parts store want $250 for a crank and bearings.   Mainas want $650 for just the crank. Is that because the marine crank is different? Stronger to handle the constant high RPM? Or is it just because the Marinas are smaller shops and charge more?
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2010 at 7:33pm
Ahhhh The $250 crank is refurbished. That may be a BIG part of the price difference. If anyone has any words of wisdom on the subject, I would still love to hear them.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2010 at 10:06pm
are the counter weights the same for the automotive and marine ones? or are they balanced differently?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2010 at 10:23pm
do you have a local crank grinder in your area? the parts store has to get them from somewhere and its usually locally, normally in the 150.00 range w/ bearings,and undersize, if you go straight to the source. no difference in marine except the price, i cant imagine that the rods survived, a good engine shop will have machine to repair rods, they grind the flats where they connect together and hone the bore to size.....
"the things you own will start to own you"
JHH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2010 at 12:52am
Newbie here boat and message board. Just bought a 1980. I knew it needed an engine. After checking prices of marine parts to rebuild. I was shocked. Searched the web and found a great price on a rebuilt. I was very impressed good quality, timing chain is double roller chain. Saved me a lot of time Paid $1780 with shipping and core. I do not know if I can post the business name. If not just remove my post. sandjengines.com Thanks to everyone I am learning so much great information on this site.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2010 at 10:09am
Originally posted by JHH JHH wrote:

Newbie here boat and message board. Just bought a 1980. I knew it needed an engine. After checking prices of marine parts to rebuild. I was shocked. Searched the web and found a great price on a rebuilt. I was very impressed good quality, timing chain is double roller chain. Saved me a lot of time Paid $1780 with shipping and core. I do not know if I can post the business name. If not just remove my post. sandjengines.com Thanks to everyone I am learning so much great information on this site.

hope you bought a reverse rotation engine for your application.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2010 at 11:35am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

hope you bought a reverse rotation engine for your application.

I hope so too but looking at their prices it does look like he did. They charge about $200 extra for a RH marine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2010 at 12:16pm
i'm a little confused though since he states it's including the 200 core that would be $1930.00 based upon the site's pricing and 1763.00 for the standard rotation which is the wrong motor for the year boat unless someone has changed the tranny or dump in the transmission.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2010 at 1:23pm
Back to the original poster, here is no difference between the automotive and marine cranks in your application. I would say if you have now spun a bearing twice on your previous crank its probably messed up beyond being saved by a grind and set of oversized bearings but if you try make sure you get the crank magnafluxed before you invest any money in it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2010 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Back to the original poster, here is no difference between the automotive and marine cranks in your application. I would say if you have now spun a bearing twice on your previous crank its probably messed up beyond being saved by a grind and set of oversized bearings but if you try make sure you get the crank magnafluxed before you invest any money in it.

And check the thrust bearing journal too.

and to clarify a little more there isn't any differnce on the cranks as long as they are both standard rotation, but in a reverse rotation application they can be different if the crank has machined wick lines for the rear seal.
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2010 at 11:51pm
Thanks guys. The motor is coming out tomorrow. Got the engine stand, and access to a pretty serious backhoe to pull it up. Thanks for the info and advice. It is a standard rotation engine. Once it is out I will see what I have. I fully intend on taking the block to a machine shop and making sure the channels stayed true, who knows, the whole block could have been twisted! I'll also have the rods checked. I called PCM tech support and they said they could tell me if it is the same crank shaft they used in the marine engines if I can give them the Ford model number. Of course I can't since it would be a refurb. I never considered having my crank shaft cut, if it looks like any damage is mild, maybe I will head down that road. So the goal for tomorrow.. get the engine out, don't drop it on the way out :), and get it on a stand.
JHH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2010 at 1:02am
Newbie I am getting great information on this site just too late. I am waiting for an e-mail from the PO. Boat has a new starter. Probably bought at an auto parts store. What I saw was standard rotation. I am glad I found out now before I progressed further. Again Thanks
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2010 at 6:45pm
Okay the motor is out. Took some pictures to document the fun!!

Here is the motor in the boat.

Here is our "engine hoist"

It is out of the boat!!

Wondering why I can't get a socket on 1 of the oil pan bolts... the oil pan has a dent from the inside. (Ut ohh)

Catostophic engine failure.. 2 rods let loose.

Cam chaft split in 2..

This is what was in the bottom of the oil pan.

The cyclinder wall is pretty beat up, I guess I'll be on the hunt for a new motor... CRAP!!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2010 at 9:37pm
And I thought I was pretty good at breaking an engine
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2010 at 9:52pm
You can actually see the worst damage to the cylinder wall in the picture of the cam shaft. The damage is really low.. the piston would go over it, but the rings wouldn't go anywhere near it. Still hoping I can salvage the block.. Will have to see what the machine shop says about it.
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 11:51am
I've been pricing long blocks over the internet for the last couple of days and thought I would share since it is a lot of calling around and leg work... I called 7 places...

sandjengines.com - $1,846 motor + $400 core + $175 shipping = $2,421
The core would cost me $175 to return and since it is damaged, there may be a penalty.

skidim.com - I work with skidim on everything, but all they sell is crate motors.

jasperengines.com - $2,946 motor + $365 core + $176 tax = $3,487.76 - By far the most expensive.

psengines.com - $2,019 total ā€“ no core ā€“ no shipping ā€“ do not need to return old core

Searchpartsengines.com - $1,838 total ā€“ no core ā€“ no shipping ā€“ $1,920.71 credit card price ā€“ Cash is $1,838.

usaboatmotor.com - $2,195 total ā€“ no core ā€“ no shipping ā€“ no taxes

Firstmatemarine.net recommended me to Atlandtic Engine Exchange. They want $1,995 for motor, no core, no taxes

Some places include the timing cover with the motor, some don't. All include the gaskets. The warantees are all different but for the most part are between 1 and 2 years.

I am going to pull the heads off the motor today and see if they were damaged when the rods let go. I figure there is a good chance one of the pistons got up high enough to do some serious damage to the heads. The problem is that I have GT40 heads right now which were rebuilt last year. I realized AFTER making these phone calls that the heads included with the long block prices quoted are not GT40s. They are the more generic head and will cut down my HP from 310 to about 245. I have called back 2 of the above places to ask them how much with GT40s and they both said they would have to call me back... waiting on those calls.
Does anyone know what I would feel different between 245 HP and 310 HP? Would the boat still plane out with 245? Could I still get up to 40 MPH? The only thing I pull around is a tube, not too worried about getting skiiers out of the hole. I imagine the boat will only go as fast as the tranny lets it go anyway right?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 12:27pm
If the heads are good just get a junkyard f-truck 351 and use its shorblock, put it together and go tubing. You'll still have a 300 hp engine for cheap.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 1:33pm
I agree completely with Gottaski here... you should be able to get a complete low milage (say 75k or less) pull out non roller 351w for around 500 or so relatively local. Look through www.car-part.com. If it is a roller engine you will be on the hook for new pushrods and a gear change on your distributor, so beware of that. You might have a bent valve or two on those heads but just get a local machine shop to check and replace them if necessary.

Everything else will bolt up and it will work, the pistons, etc are exactly the same.. there might be a cam difference but I wouldnt sweat it unless you want to get something special. Yes the piston to wall clearances and ring end gaps on the marine engine are typically larger, but if you are getting a truck engine and it has 50 to 75k miles on it already I wouldn't give it a second thought. You can replace the casting/expansion/freeze or whatever you want to call them plugs with brass if it would make you feel better. I did this last year when I broke my crank in half to build a backup engine, I was back in the water within a couple days.

Be a little careful with electronic parts, injectors, etc, you pull off and keep them as spares for your engine some of them should be the same.. .
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
jrichard172 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrichard172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2010 at 2:42am
Hey im new to the site I have learned alot from this fourm.
I just purchased a 1982 ski nautique it needed a new engine I found a good deal from rapido marine $1600 including shipping.
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2010 at 2:16pm
I am changing out a loose timing chain on my 78 351W RH Commander, they big sprocket has red Nylon ? teeth.... The ones I got at Napa are steel teeth - whats the deal, should I replace just the chain?
ABE
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2010 at 5:53pm
Finally decided to the pull the trigger today. Ordered a short block so I can use my GT40s and it is being shipped to me. I spoke to 8 different places, and Rapidomarine.com turned out to be the best deal for what I needed. Many places won't even sell a short block. I'll keep the thread updated as to how it goes.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2010 at 6:23pm
egad, why?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2010 at 8:29pm
I remeber a couple of members mectioned doing business with rapido marine, and as far as I can remember non of them had any complaints about the product they recieved. I my self asked a quote for a short block when I was sourcing parts for my rebuilt, and RM was the best deal, still I canĀ“t seem to understand if they actually do all the things thay state for such a low price. Finally I opted to rebuilt my engine cause it was to difficult to get the engine through local customs.
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2010 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by abolton abolton wrote:

I am changing out a loose timing chain on my 78 351W RH Commander, they big sprocket has red Nylon ? teeth.... The ones I got at Napa are steel teeth - whats the deal, should I replace just the chain?

I'd say replace them as a set....a new chain with an old sprocket is not usually a good idea.
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 2:28pm
Thanks for the info on Rapido. I found them to be the least expensive, hopefully that doesn't mean the "cheapest". I just ordered 2 new exhaust manifolds and risers from skidim. I really hope my GT40s bolt right up to this short block and it starts on the first turn of the key.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 3:08pm
or go to your local engine builder, every town has one, and see if he has a rebuildable core laying around...use your heads, probably maybe just bent a valve??? easily a thousand dollar project, I just bought a set of sbf rollers from summit, 103.95 for the set, they are summit brand but made by Comp or to the likes, get a good cam, bottem end, slap on your heads....good to go. I see your mechanically inclined. you never know what you get when you mainstream, Tiawan pistons, no name bearings, and Seth assembling in the back forty...
I just assembled a BBC, swap over, the guy supplied the long block, greeeeeaaat deal, 995.00, (no warranty on my part)
I told him do you seriously think this engine will make it to the end of the summer? how can someone build a reliable engine for 995.00? easily, put 9.00 pistons in it, 12.00 rings and 6.00 bearings
"the things you own will start to own you"
wayner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 6:09pm
I looked at 86 Nautique that the engine is shot. Bent or broken rod is what I understand. It is in nice shape and had 800 hours on it. Two owner boat.

When I went to purchase it and look it over is when we found the problem. It would not turn over. I said take it to the shop and get some compression readings and inspected. Shop cam back and said it was froze up and just figure a different motor. It had the 351 ford in it. What would it actually cost me to have another motor put in this boat. It will help me determine the price.
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 12:33am
Hey Eric.. I talked to 2 local guys.. no 351s.. I called 5 junk yards.. no 351s... They are getting hard to come by!! It makes me feel better about the place when there is no core charge because they say they won't reuse a boat block.. And they do give a decent 1 year warantee.

Wayner, I would value a boat with a dead 351 about $5,000 below what the boat would be if it was running. If they disagree, tell them to fix it first, then give them the cost on top of what they are asking.. It's a big hassle!

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 1:15am
I bought a long block 351W RH rotation from Carolina Machine Engines http://www.cmengines.com/
I'm hoping to fire it up within the next two weeks. I was really tempted to find a heavy duty chevy 350 standard rotation junkyard engine and convert it to marine but a lot of the parts on the 351W were pretty new (alternator, starter, prop).
Most marine engines are chevy based now any way.

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2010 at 3:53pm
Try PAWthey have nice deals also on long block...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic