NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

77 graphics resto update

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 7:36pm
Man, what a great job on those graphics !!! Good as the factory, ready to go for years...

Did you use any clear over the top? Oh and is there a particular technigue to air brushing from the dark edge to the fade??

Looks fantastic !!!

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 3:07am
The masking paper roll is called Frisket. If you can find a sign shop or even better a supplier of vinyl ask them for transfer paper. Then you get to pick your width up to I think 42", and length is kind of already determined. Stick with the paper type. Theres also a plastic type. Ive had some paint bleed through the edges with it. Bad.
My Blue 82SOLD!
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 3:10am
The masking paper roll is called Frisket. If you can find a sign shop or even better a supplier of vinyl ask them for transfer paper. Then you get to pick your width up to I think 42", and length is kind of already determined. The last time I bought some I think it was $35 for 18" wide roll. Probably 300' long. I did quiet a few flame jobs with that. Stick with the paper type. Theres also a plastic type. Ive had some paint bleed through the edges with it. Bad.
My Blue 82SOLD!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 10:40am
ThreadJack!!

Andy, are you coming to Green Lake, don't remember if I saw your name on the sign up???
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 11:51am
Jeff, Looks awesome. Don't think I'll get to see it at Lake George this year though. I think I have garage envey.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 12:07pm
Wow and what they said, luv the stands!

I have talent envy...I'd never free hand those curves; I build a jig for almost everything.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 8:28pm
I'm not sure yet. I have other places I'm "supposed to be". My wife said so.

Sorry about the re-post additions snafu. I can't find the delete function.
My Blue 82SOLD!
77 nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2009 at 1:18pm
Mojo, no clear. the Rust-oleum yelds a excelent shine right off the get go. Go over everything with the 3M Finesse It using a buffer with a good quality wool pad and it looks like you laid 3 coats of clear over the entire boat. All of the pictures i posted so far there is no wax on it yet! going to do that today. As far as techinque with the air brush, all i can say is that i have never used one before this project and i was intimidated but i figured i would give it a go knowing that if it didnt turn out good i could go back over it with the blue. I thinned the black down till it almost dripped like water off the stir stick and played around with the settings on the brush and air pressure until it looked about right, crossed my fingers and just did it. Other than a good steady hand there is really nothing to it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2009 at 1:52pm
Jeff,
I got your message on my answering machine yesterday when I got home from work. Sorry I didn't call you back but the message with you phone # was broken up and I couldn't understand it. Since I had emailed you from work earlier in the day with my address I figured you did get it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2009 at 2:05pm
Yup, got it. I will put the check in the mail first thing Monday. Thanks again for everything. Have a great 4th!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 1:04am
Pete, got the decals today when I got home from work and WOW they are perfect! Exact size. I sent the check out this afternoon during lunch.
Gator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 2:02am
This will be the second paint job on my 1977 Nautique (I gave the first re-paint in 1987). It has the Blue lettering with black shadowing as well, and the black shadow was way easier than I thought it would be. I bought an inexpensive air brush and, with the decals obviously still on, just gently traced around the edges on all lettering and lines - sides and back - just as it came from the factory. It looked absolutely the same. Correct Craft told me they used Rustoleum as factory paint so that's what I used.
merrittarnold View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merrittarnold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2009 at 9:12am
Hey guys,
What's your best estimate on the life of this paint job versus the vinyl graphics? I think it looks awesome and am ready to start tomorrow, but I don't want to have to do this every year.
There are motorcycles; and there are Harley Davidsons.
There are tractors; and there are John Deeres.
There are ski boats; and there are Ski Nautiques!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2009 at 10:29am
Merritt,
I'd have to say that both the vinyl and paint are equal but don't worry as it won't be a yearly job. Both the paint and vinyl is affected by UV. The best vinyls are guaranteed for 7 years. That's 7 full years out in the sun so on a boat it may last 3 times that. Best protection when the boat isn't being used is a full past the waterline cover. The transom is the area that really gets the worst sun. Even a boat in a boathouse will get damage from the sun. The sunlight reflects off the water and comes up under the door. I cover my woods even when in the boathouse.

Vinyl has a slight advantage when it comes to dock damage/abrasion.

I'd go with the paint - It's original!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merrittarnold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2009 at 11:10pm
Sounds good to me. Is it best to completely remove the old graphics first? I can tell these aren't original.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2009 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by merrittarnold merrittarnold wrote:

Sounds good to me. Is it best to completely remove the old graphics first? I can tell these aren't original.

Yes as long as you have the tracings needed for your sign shop to make ether the mask for paint on th vinyl. You want a decent clean surface to apply ether.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merrittarnold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2009 at 11:33pm
I've looked at all the pictures and the 79 brochures, but I can't find a good picture of the shading and everything for the 79SN. Is there someone that sells the templates? Does anyone have a good, original picture of all the 79 graphics?
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2009 at 12:11am
Jeff,

I love your work. Where did you get the Rub Rail? Is it a Taco Rub Rail? I do not see the Rope Rub Rail on the Taco Web-site. Maybe you just use the rope instead of the plastic insert. Even looking at it that way I am not sure about which one to use. Do you have the part number for what you have?

Beautiful Boat.

Thanks,

Donald
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2009 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Jeff,

I love your work. Where did you get the Rub Rail? Is it a Taco Rub Rail? I do not see the Rope Rub Rail on the Taco Web-site. Maybe you just use the rope instead of the plastic insert. Even looking at it that way I am not sure about which one to use. Do you have the part number for what you have?

Beautiful Boat.

Thanks,

Donald

Originally posted by 77 nautique 77 nautique wrote:

Hey Tim, Thanks! I'm quite pleased. I may catch some flack over the rope rub rail. Definatly not origional.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2009 at 11:36am
Pete, the rope rub rail may not be original on Jeff's '77, but it sure would be on Donald's '80!

Merritt, I dont believe there are any differences in the graphics from '77 to '79. Jeff's pictures in this thread are your best guide. There are no templates available unless you want to spend $550 on the vinyl reproductions. Just trace your original lettering. If youre not sure if its original, post a picture and we can tell you.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2009 at 11:53am
What type of rope do I need to get for the rub rail insert? 5/8 poly? ( 79 Transom project)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2009 at 12:01pm
Donald, I can't recall the part # and the box is long gone but if you call Woody @ the former Southeast Correct Craft (now a Master Craft dealer....bummer) he can get you what you need. That's where I got mine from. It was a kit. Came with 50' rail, more than enough rope and a ton of stainless screws. Oh and if you go with the rope, I used Woodys suggestion and used a piece of 1/2" copper pipe with a notch cut out of it to clear the screws and some silicone spray to install the rope. I had never installed rope before, maybe there is a better way, but it went in like a dream for me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2009 at 12:04pm
I ment to include this in my post
( Southeast Correct Craft )
Woody
7576 South Orange Avenue
Orlando FL. 32809
407-851-1965
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 5:44pm
I used Woodys suggestion and used a piece of 1/2" copper pipe with a notch cut out of it to clear the screws and some silicone spray to install the rope. I had never installed rope before, maybe there is a better way, but it went in like a dream for me. [/QUOTE]

Jeff,

Thanks and can you give just a little more explaination about the notch cut into the 1/2" Copper Tube. I know that some of the guys have used the Copper Tube with some soapy water with great success, but I am assuming that that 1/2" size is the ID of the Tube. I know that the guys recommend going back with 1/2" Size Rope instead of the 5/8" that came orginal. This is due to the rubber now being hard over time.

How long does this tube need to be or does it matter? I am thinking three inches long. I do not unstand the notch that is cut. I understand that you will see or run into screws to hold the rub rail to the finerglass, but do you run the notch the entire length of the cooper tube so that it looks like a letter " C" but not that big of a notch? Then you align the opening on the screws and push the rope all the way around. If you could post a picture of your Cooper Tube Tool that would be very helpful.

Within the next few weeks, I am going to replace my rope. I want to replace the entire Rub Rail maybe next Winter.

Thanks,

Donald
sweet78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 12:27pm
what color blue did you use the boat looks great
sweetra
sweet78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 12:32pm
I don,t know if my first post went through but boat looks great what color blue did you use
sweetra
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by sweet78 sweet78 wrote:

I don,t know if my first post went through but boat looks great what color blue did you use

Your posts are coming through just fine.

Check Jeff's original post for the prep work details:

http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13844

On the paint:

Originally posted by 77 nautique 77 nautique wrote:

I used Rust-oleum Professional paint bought at Lowes. The blue (V7527 royal blue) was an exact, and i mean EXACT match. The black is gloss black same brand. Both were thined with Toluene eventhough the can says Acetone (Thanks for the tip Pete!). Sprayed the blue, than imediatly after while the paint was still wet, went back through with my $5 Harbor Freight air brush for the shadow. The black melted nicely into the blue. Than imediatly pulled the masking. Pulling the tape as soon as posible is key. The Rust-oleum paint is cheap and easy to work with and very foregiving and best of all...origional. I couldnt be more happy with the results. The biggest piece of advice i can give is take your time masking and use good fine-line tape.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 5:19pm
Hey Jeff,
Are you still posting? I wanted to check your brain about this thread.
Tom
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 9:43am
So guys, it looks like Jeff used this for the wide spray:

Spray Gun

And this for the border:

Air Brush

And this to mask the letters:

Fine Line

And this to mask the rest:

Masking Film

So he rubbed out the hull with rubbing compound right over the old lettering, accepting the fact that the letters would rub off, but still be traceable. After he was happy with the hull being cleaned up and shined up with the compound, he used the fine line to outline the outside of the lettering, and then came over all of it with the traceable masking film. He then cut the masking film using the fine line to be the actual border with the lettering, and allowing the masking film to stick to the fine line, and peeled back the traceable masking film from the lettering. He then mixed out blue Rustoleum Professional paint with toluene and did some test sprays to find the right consistency. He used the detail gun to spray the letters, then, while the paint was still tacking out, he went to black Rustoleum, and put the border on. He then pulled up the film and fine line as quick as he could. Does that sound right? Please add inputs.
Tom
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 10:16am
Uhhh oooo Tom has the retso bug!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic