Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Valvoline VR1 racing oil in name only

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
Author
martin 74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Valvoline VR1 racing oil in name only
    Posted: March-17-2009 at 3:47am
Per this post Valvoline VR1 may not have enough ZDDPs as real racing oil to protect our engines. This links says that real racing oil needs to say "For off road use only" otherwise by law they have to reduce ZDDPs. Per link we need to buy Valvoline

VV850 Conventional Racing SAE 10W-30
VV851 Conventional Racing SAE 20W-50
VV854 Synthetic Racing SAE 10W-30
VV 853 Synthetic Racing SAE 5W-30

Can this be right?

http://www.4m.net/archive/index.php?t-48472.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VALVOLINE-RACING-OIL-20W-50-SYNTHETIC-VV855-12-QUARTS_W0QQitemZ260364263223QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090218?IMSfp=TL0902181310008r1115
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 3:53am
Im glad you made this post. I am far from a mechanic, but believe in the best care or oil for the boat. I have the dealer due all the scheduled maintance, but never asked what brand or type of oil they use. What does PCM reccomend?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 10:02am
Martin,
Next time you're looking at oil, take a look at the VR1. It does state "for off road use only"! It does contain the high levels of zddp needed for our flat tappet engines!

Ryan,
Typically a dealer will use the oil that contains the max $$ between wholesale and retail!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 10:03am
they wouldnt do that Pete
"the things you own will start to own you"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 10:24am
Martin - I read the racing post referenced & it was just 'Gibbs' opinion that VR1 would shorten lifter life. He had no data to back up his opinion.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 12:34pm
After this 25 hour "break-in" period. The oil needs to be changed. If I wanted to purchase my own oil for them to use and wanted a real good oil for that ZO6 motor what would you guys suggest?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Martin,
Next time you're looking at oil, take a look at the VR1. It does state "for off road use only"! It does contain the high levels of zddp needed for our flat tappet engines!

Actually, it states: "It is recommended for engines burning gasoline and full or partial alcohol fuels in track and street service."

source: http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=50

And also:

Valvoline Racing VR1: 75% higher zinc than SM engine oil with a balanced additive package designed to work in both racing and street-legal applications. This product will protect older style push-rod and flat tappet engines. Valvoline provides this product in both multi and mono viscosity grades: SAE 20W-50 (part vv211), straight SAE 50 (part vv235), SAE 10W-30 (part vv205), SAE 30(part vv223), SAE 40 (part vv229), and SAE 60 (part vv241)

source: http://www.valvoline.com/downloads/2008-003a.pdf

I'm still using the VR1...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 2:11pm
Be careful with conventional racing oils- they dont have the same detergent packages as regular street-use oils. Most times, the oil change interval is reduced from 3,000 miles to ~500. VR1 maintains the standard detergent package so it has a normal recommended OCI.

Dont just go by what you see on the bottle- although the API rating is usually a clue. Look at the spec sheet and you'll see that VR1 has a pretty high level of the heavy metals (zinc and phos) that we need in our flat tappets.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 2:36pm
Rotella T 30 or 40 weight.........Combine with a FL1-A filter and you have an ample package to protect your cam and lifters.
This is all I use now in the flat tappett motors, with modern or "roller" motors any high performance oil will be just fine.....Boat dr
Daveinater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 4:28pm
Hey Doc,

This is going to sound really lame but what engines are modern "roller" motors?

Signed,

Clueless.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

Im glad you made this post. I am far from a mechanic, but believe in the best care or oil for the boat. I have the dealer due all the scheduled maintance, but never asked what brand or type of oil they use. What does PCM reccomend?

Ryan,

Our Chevy engines are Roller not flat tappet, do not need the ZDDP.

Check your manual as the ZR could be different then the Excalibur in my 206, I have been running Shell Rotilla 15w-40 in mine, most 15-40's may say "Diesel" or something along those lines, no problem, it is the correct weight, conventional oil is best, the remote filter is a standard Ford FL-1a, yes a Ford filter on a Chevy motor, do not fear however, this single Ford component does not appear to hinder the Bow Tie power!!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 5:07pm
Quinner,This statement is absurd....

do not fear however, this single Ford component does not appear to hinder the Bow Tie power!!

If anything it will enhance the less than stellar attention to detail and lack of engineering in the GM. We all can't be first,some have to strive for that next level.Try some Autolite plugs and maybe you will rise another step in your QUEST.I feel your pain Chris............Boat dr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

conventional oil is best

Careful, CQ. There are many good conventional oils out there- Rotella and Castrol GTX being at the top of my list. That doesnt mean theyre better than synthetics though, especially when it comes to the new roller motors. Several of the 196/Excals that I run with use Mobil1, same as Ive switched to in my truck.

PCM does not recommend the use of synthetics- but they they dont discourage it either. Conventional oils are more than adequate, obviously- but theres nothing wrong with synthetics. Just dont try to extend the manufacturer's oil change interval unless youve got a used oil analysis to back it up.
martin 74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 5:17pm
Davinater

I am in no way an expert but I think the ford 351 changed to roller lifters in 1994 and chevy changed in 1986. There are others who will clear this up, but the new oils by law have reduced ZDDPs to increase cat converter life. Unfortunately, our older engines need ZDDPs to lubricate our pre 1994 or 1986 tappet lifters properly. Boat Dr is saying that any quality oil is ok for roller lifters but tappet lifters need oils with higher ZDDPs like Rotella T 30 or 40 or VR1. I have used both in the past and get whichever is in stock.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by martin 74 martin 74 wrote:

Davinater

I am in no way an expert but I think the ford 351 changed to roller lifters in 1994 and chevy changed in 1986. There are others who will clear this up, but the new oils by law have reduced ZDDPs to increase cat converter life. Unfortunately, our older engines need ZDDPs to lubricate our pre 1994 or 1986 tappet lifters properly. Boat Dr is saying that any quality oil is ok for roller lifters but tappet lifters need oils with higher ZDDPs like Rotella T 30 or 40 or VR1. I have used both in the past and get whichever is in stock.

All very true EXCEPT that it is important to note that the marine industy (as usual) lags behind the auto industry and there are exceptions to the rules above. For instance, there is no such thing as a roller 351w marine engine- even the GT40 (used through 2002) was flat tappet to the very end based on everything Ive read. The 350 used in GM trucks on the other hand didnt go roller until the mid to late 90's, so be sure to check the block's code if youre anywhere near the flat tappet/roller cut off.
Daveinater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 5:33pm
Hmmm....this is good info. I thought the Walmart oil I've always used was fine....?

--Dave

(okay I'm kidding but didn't know to look for anything special for my 1992 5.8 Pro Boss...good info here guys. Thanks)
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

conventional oil is best

Careful, CQ. There are many good conventional oils out there- Rotella and Castrol GTX being at the top of my list. That doesnt mean theyre better than synthetics though, especially when it comes to the new roller motors. Several of the 196/Excals that I run with use Mobil1, same as Ive switched to in my truck.

PCM does not recommend the use of synthetics- but they they dont discourage it either. Conventional oils are more than adequate, obviously- but theres nothing wrong with synthetics. Just dont try to extend the manufacturer's oil change interval unless youve got a used oil analysis to back it up.

castrol gtx is the one I used on my last oil change... It has a good price but I was wondering if its good...15w40....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

conventional oil is best

castrol gtx is the one I used on my last oil change... It has a good price but I was wondering if its good...15w40....

If you have a newer style roller motor , but all 351w motors require high levels of the additive ZDDP, these are in too low a concentration , in the Castrol ,to lube flat tappett cams. You be the judge on how you spend your money.
Being penny wise and dollar foolish will cost major bucks on an inboard.Oil is cheap change often and buy the best filter .
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 7:26pm
kapla, the GTX 15W-40 diesel oil has enough ZDDP, so yeah I'd say it's a good oil.

I'm very tempted to switch to it from the VR1 20W-50 we are using now. I'd like to have a talk with an oil engineer regarding the whole "diesel" aspect and it's components to find out if it is OK for a primary barefoot boat (~4k+ rpm) that runs ~160 F and even cooler in the 32 degree water.

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 7:30pm
oops I used the gasoline one but the diesel is available here... next oil change...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 7:35pm
oil threads are always interesting and confusing in the same time!!! i like them... mixed opinions...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 7:45pm
Are you talking about the GTX 15W-40 being for gasoline? The only 15W-40 I can fnid is the one and only diesel variety. Castrol wouldn't give me a selection from Argentina, I don't know what is available to you down there.
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 8:47pm
I was at the Napa the other day and I noticed that they have straigth weight oil on the VR1 line. They had 40, 50, 60, and 20W-50. I have the 20W-50 now but I am considering a straight 40.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 9:41pm
   this topic needs to be a sticky.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 10:37pm
A lot of the new boats call for 15w40 which is a diesel and/or marine oil.
carnes99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnes99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2009 at 3:16am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Quinner,This statement is absurd....

do not fear however, this single Ford component does not appear to hinder the Bow Tie power!!

If anything it will enhance the less than stellar attention to detail and lack of engineering in the GM. We all can't be first,some have to strive for that next level.Try some Autolite plugs and maybe you will rise another step in your QUEST.I feel your pain Chris............Boat dr

Amen Boat dr! I consider the best part of my boat to be the FORD filter.

Anyway Penzoil makes a 15w-40 that is called Marine. I just used that and think that it will be fine.
Keep mama happy and life is GOOD!
Josh
2005 SAN LE
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2009 at 9:51am
I presently have the heads off my 351, it has 120 hours on it since the rebuild. Out of curiousity I pulled each lifter out and checked for lifter/cam wear and they look as good as they day they went it. Cylinder walls look great as well.

I've used VR-1 20w50 from day one, unless the product has changed I will be sticking with it.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2009 at 10:10am
you have to be sure near the API cert it says SC and SI which means, one means spark compression (diesel) spark ignition (gas) some will have one or both...this is from memory so dont give me a hard time if its not correct
"the things you own will start to own you"
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 1:38am
Eric (not trying to give you a hard time here)

You are close....the C rating is for compression ignition (there is no spark) and the S rating is for spark ignition.

These are the first part of the API rating system.The second part of the designation tells what standard the oil meets. Current spark rating is SM and the C rating is at CI-4. Rating are found in the donuts along with the SAE ratings. As shown, some oils will meet requirements for both engine types.
martin 74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 4:56am
Thanks all

No doubts Valvoline VR1 series and Rotella straight weights are the best motor oils for our tappet valve engines.

Interesting NAPA carries VR1 in straight weights. The '74 Waukesha engine manual suggests 10W30. I have been only able to find the 20W50.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
  Share Topic