NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hurricane in Alabama

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hurricane in Alabama
    Posted: October-30-2008 at 9:01pm
Someone should go take a look at this one. The ad is in the latest Rudder (ACBS magazine) The seller states it's a "project" boat and the chrome has been re plated. 327 (AMC) Graymarine. Claims to be the only one existing. He wants 5K. I have emailed him for more information.

email: tim@the-browns.org
ph: 205-960-7111

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 12:35am
Ooooohhhhhhh Mannnnnnnnnn ......

is that KOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!

Any idea of the year? If the 327 is original, would have to be mid 50's or newer?

Where did that drawing come from? Would love to see pics or more drawings!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 7:18am
Steve,
Yesterday I neglected to look in our own diaries. I forgot he's in there!! Tim Browns Hurricane It's a 55.

I just looked him up in the ACBS directory. The phone # (above post) is listed as a daytime. He also has his evening # in the directory: 205-956-9304

Dave,
In Tim's diary, he states he spoke to a Jim Jettmore at the CC factory. Is he still around? What is his background? I'm asking just to find out if Jim was (is)well versed in the history of the Hurricane and to provide Tim with correct information.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 9:05am
I just checked my home email and did get a responce from Tim. I asked him some questions regarding the bottom (5200?), originality and engine.

Here's his responce:
"The original bottom, got stopped on it because of health. It's all
original, the engine was replaced by the original owner, 6 with a
Greymarine V-8 in 1958. The chrome has been replated.

Tim Brown
3293 Hoot Owl Lane
Irondale, AL 35210
Phone: 205-956-9304
Cell;     205-960-7111"

Greg,
He's on the NW side of Birmingham not to far from Atlanta!! How about a new woodworking project? Maybe Amy would like a wood boat?

Billy,
What about yourself?

Reid,
You need at least one wood boat in the fleet!!

Sounds like it's going to need flipping and the bottom re worked. I can safely say that sitting in the barn for all the years that the bedding compound between the double hull has been completely dried out. Wood may be ok - it would be removing the outer planking to the waterline (all the bottom planks plus the one above the chine)and then rebedding it with 5200. Remember that CC was one of two boat manufacturers that double planked the hull sides as well as the bottom. (per Don Danenberg)

The pictures don't show the deck but if covered, it should be ok. The hull sides look to be in decent shape but sides and deck would need to go down to bare wood.

The engine not being original isn't that bad. The 58 Gray is "period" correct and would only be a 1 point deduction with the ACBS judging guidelines.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 11:53am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg,
He's on the NW side of Birmingham not to far from Atlanta!! How about a new woodworking project? Maybe Amy would like a wood boat?

If it were in the 1-2k range, we'd be all over it. We'd really like to have a new project, though we have 1 yet to finish and I think we'll be holding on to hard cash until we see where the markets go.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 5:06pm
Hmmm asking 5K paid 1100.....

Nice ROI if he gets 5K....

I'm with Greg....price is too high.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 7:07pm
Sounds like he did an aweful lot of replating. Regardless of what he paid the boat has a value, I dont know about 5 but then again I havent seen it. Sure arent a ton of double planked correct crafts around though.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Hmmm asking 5K paid 1100.....

Nice ROI if he gets 5K....

I'm with Greg....price is too high.

Tim,
How versed are you in the wood boat market? I ask because I have to disagree with your price comment. Keep in mind the asking price is never the sale price and regarding the ROI he bought it cheap as I don't feel the farmer really knew what he had. Joe is correct that there aren't many double plank CC's out there and I have a feeling the seller is correct that this is the only Hurricane still around.

I took another look at the Rudders classifieds so I could give you a idea of asking prices. The 5K is the second to the cheapest listing. The next price up are several around 10K, then the 30K's and after that the prices "sky rocket" up to 110K. This Hurricane is actually fairly priced considering it's condition.

Granted this boat does need work but not as much as you may think. Let me explain my comment on the bottom. Bottom repair/maintenance is very common with a double planked wood boat. Chris Craft recommended that refastening (larger and longer screws) may be needed every 5 years and that the outer planking be removed for a new canvas/bedding compound job every 10 years.

Refinishing a wood boat is also considered a maintenance item. Now I certainly don't know for sure as I haven't see the boat but from the pictures it really looks it pretty decent shape. Stripping down to bare wood, staining, varnish/paint is needed but it's typically done every 20 years (to bare wood) or so depending on the usage.

We do not know the condition of the engine but it does sound like it does have low hours and may be fine. I have emailed the seller asking him the engine condition.

Joe's correct that the chrome being done needs to be considered. This is worth between $500 and $1000!

Now it is true that CC's don't get the big $$ like other better know antique and classics but this boat is truly rare. A person putting in his own time and factoring in a fair wage to restore this boat will get a ROI!

I wish I was in a position to grab this boat!

Edit: I've been thinking about the dollars. Without a engine rebuild, I'd say that out of pocket you would need to put in a additional 2 to 3K on the bottom, refinish and upholstery. Then in todays market and considering it's a CC, I'll say it would be worth 20K min.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2008 at 12:32pm
This boat is sold, Thank you Pete.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2008 at 2:43pm
Alan,
Sounds great! Keep in touch. Looks like I'm going to have to make a trip to Big Rock in the near future. I'm anxious to see it!!
If you haven't gotten around to refinishing the garage door yet now you have a reason to do it. Practice!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2008 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

This boat is sold, Thank you Pete.

"Somones" a LUCKY DOG!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2008 at 10:33pm
Will it be at Green Lake in July?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2008 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Will it be at Green Lake in July?

Not in 09, Too many projects before it. Hopefully 2010 but we'll see.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2008 at 11:09pm
Damn I want a ride, I think that will end up a stunningly good looking boat. A perfect executive cruiser, glad you ended up with it Alan...well if I couldn't have it anyway.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 8:21am
Alan,
Heritage Harbor in Ottawa 2010! Brand new facility that the Blackhawk Chapter is just finishing up the negotiations on. We plan on making it bigger than our Lake Geneva show. Possibly the international in 11!

Now that you are a owner of a boat made of a different material, and myself now membership chair of the chapter, I'm definitely going to have to talk to you!!! It's also a great group of people.

Plan on getting yourself some Reed and Prince driver bits! I don't know of anyone still making the actual screw drivers still. I did have a Snap-on set but loaned them out and the rest is history. The set of screw drivers that is!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 8:27am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alan,
Heritage Harbor in Ottawa 2010! Brand new facility that the Blackhawk Chapter is just finishing up the negotiations on. We plan on making it bigger than our Lake Geneva show. Possibly the international in 11!

Pete, I motored through Heritage Harbor last time we were on that part of the river, that is going to be an impressive place.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 10:08pm
Good to see it will be in good hands Alan. When you going to get it?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 11:12pm
Nice move Alan. Make sure to document the resto for us when you get moving on it.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 11:15pm
Also, I might be of help with the 327 Gray Marine Fireball. I did buy the manual and have found a good amount of parts sources.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Good to see it will be in good hands Alan. When you going to get it?

I need to get it within a couple of weeks but it does not have a trailer so I've got to find one to borrow or rent.

Steve, You already came to mind with the motor, I don't think I'll have any time to work on the boat this winter but I'd like to survey the engine and posibly fire it up so I know what I've got.

I'm sure I'll be calling on the full resources of the site for this one but I'm realy looking forward to the challenge.
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 2:00am
Way to go Alan . It seems like just last week that you were telling Wendy and I how badly you wanted a wood boat project .I personaly wouldnt think of a better one to have than this . Or a better person to have it .

A big congratulations to you and Dana. Im sure she will be eager to help .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 2:17am
Congrats Allen. That's a great wooden Correct Craft to restore.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 11:47am
Alan,

Let me know if you need anything on this one. It is not that far from me & I would be glad to help you out if you need some help picking it up.
Greg

86 BFN
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 12:04pm
Good for you Alan! I could almost taste it when Pete put this topic up.

Now, if you only knew someone who knew something about wood work!

Sorry, I couldn't resist that(LOL)...I'm sure it'll turn out nice as the rest of your work!!!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
tjlake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjlake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 2:26pm
Alan, I'm about 20 mins. from this boat. Not much of a wrench turner, but am local if you run into anything "unpredicted"..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by tjlake tjlake wrote:

Alan, I'm about 20 mins. from this boat. Not much of a wrench turner, but am local if you run into anything "unpredicted"..

Would you mind emailing me your phone number just in case. Right now the plan is to pick it up this saturday. The biggest issue will be transfering it from the floor dollys to the trailer. My wife and I have done this before but it might be a good idea to have a little more muscle around. I don't anticipate any issues but it' nice to have a fallback plan just incase.

Thank you.
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 3:45pm
Congrats Alan. Can't wait to see it.

Rob
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

Alan,

Let me know if you need anything on this one. It is not that far from me & I would be glad to help you out if you need some help picking it up.

Greg, could you email me your phone number just incase we need it. Appreciate the offer.
Thank you
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 4:16pm
Big Al on the wooden scene. Congrats.. Not sure if this is a stress manager, or stress maker, but have a great time with it.. Let me know if you need any local help storing, flipping etc etc.. We'll look forward to watch it's resurrection...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

any local help flipping

Moj'

We'll have one of our "Chicago Beers" get-togethers at Alan's for the big roll it over!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic