NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Running boat without water

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mr_beat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_beat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running boat without water
    Posted: October-03-2008 at 3:07pm
I was wondering what the effects of running my SN 2001 without water for 15-20 seconds would be? I have only worked with jetskis before and this is not a problem as long as engine temps stay low. I was wondering about possibly the water pump being a problem? This is with the prop dis-engaged. (nuetral)
JamesE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 3:17pm
I would strongly recommend against it. The raw water pump impeller is rubber and the water helps to lubricate it. Without the water the impeller will burn up. Sometimes when this happens they break into small pieces which then could possibly clog cooling passages. If you need to run it out of the water you should get a flush pro or something similar. Without cooling water I wouldn't recommend running the boat for anything longer than firing it up and shutting it right off.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 3:22pm
The impeller in your Raw Water Pump is rubber, if it is run without water it will melt or simply break apart. A few seconds running is OK but long enough to pump all the residual water from the intake will most likely cause damage.

If you need to run out of the water one way is simply drop your garden hose in a 5 gallon bucket, then disconnect your water intake at the pickup, place that hose end in the full bucket of water and with the garden hose on to keep the water level up you can run as long as required.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 4:04pm
The only case I see for this is to check briefly if the stater is working and battery is charged right before launch so that you don't have an oh crap once in the water. But again hit the key, turns over, turn it off 5 seconds and your done. Not let it fire and run a second, smoked impeller is what you will get.
Tellarico View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tellarico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 5:03pm
I cut the brass end off the garden hose, remove the screen on the intake and jam the hose in the intake under the boat and run it like it's in the water.
mr_beat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_beat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 6:16pm
Thank you guys. I am guilty of letting it run a good 15 seconds. Unfortunately learning things the hard way. It was my friend and I's stupidity and hastiness because of a dead battery that lead to this anyhow. It was barely starting because there were not enough cranking amps and if it were in the water, be it just enough backpressure, or what.. it wouldn't start. So We rev'd er up a bit out of the water. I havent looked over the mechanics of the cooling line. I will want to pull this out and check it/replace. How hard is this and where is it located in the boat briefly.

Ryan
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 6:41pm
Ryan,
There's a good chance that you damaged the RWP impeller. Follow the suction hose from under the engine to the belt driven pump. They aren't hard to change. A few bolts and you'll see the impeller. A inboard is not a PWC!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 6:51pm
He's only got 8 posts Pete?!!?   

Ryan, look under 'common questions' for a good thread with good pics on your topic. My box isn't navigating well or I'd put up a link.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
mr_beat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_beat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 7:28pm
Thanks for the help guys I hope to check it out today or tomorrow and ill let you know.
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 8:15pm
welcome to the site ryan

RWP pictures
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2008 at 1:51am
After I winterize my boat, I take the belt off the RWP. And I crank it and let it run for about 10 seconds once a month, and the engine has antifreeze in it. As long as you have water or coolant in the engine and the RWP is not turning, a few seconds isn't going to hurt anything.
Tim D
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2008 at 9:33pm
Ryan:

Guys on this site will debate this topic back and forth to death. My experience is that I usaully start the boat without water to make sure it runs before heading to the lake. Never have I even come close to burning up an impellar. So, 15 seconds and you are probable ok, unless it was high rpm. Now, if the impellar was marginal to begin with, then you should check it out for your own piece of mind.

I can tell you that I have connected the fake-a-lake, done other things, then forgot to turn on the water. I started the boat and let it idle for several minutes. I finally realized my mistake when the exhaust manifold were getting hot to the touch. Shut her down and pulled the impellar....absolutely NO damage what so ever. What I am trying to say is that an impellar in good condition is not as fragile as some guys will lead you to believe. But, at the same time, I am not condoning the practice other than BRIEFLY starting the engine (less than 5 seconds) to verify it is going to run.

To each his own on this topic.
Fibersport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fibersport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2008 at 1:46am
New member here ......

You might look into an impeller made by Globe. They claim you can run it 15 minutes dry without hurting it, not that I would try however. I have one in my Century and have never had any problems. One thing about garden hoses in buckets leading to your raw water pump, if you're not careful you can collapse it because of too much suction.
Greg
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2008 at 3:32am
Originally posted by Fibersport Fibersport wrote:

One thing about garden hoses in buckets leading to your raw water pump, if you're not careful you can collapse it because of too much suction.
Greg

Since the raw water hose is on the suction side of the pump, you have to make sure you use wire reinforced to prevent collapsing

Wire reinforced hose
-Adam

1973 Skier
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2008 at 11:47am
it is so simple to put a water connection on the transom and use a Perko or to the likes of a Perko valve, they make valves with check balls to where you dont even turn a valve, hook up the hose and fire the boat. the impellers may run a couple minutes with out water but you change the composition of the rubber when heated, they are made of Buna rubber which is good to 850 degrees but when heated may loose some of its pliability and harden up and then you risk breaking the impeller blade and loosing it down stream. dont get me wrong I will fire a boat once in a while without water but not often because especially on out drives its to much work to replace them
"the things you own will start to own you"
bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2008 at 7:40pm
why even take a chance on damaging impeller unless you enjoy replacing it?   no, never run without water for no period of time.....
bill
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2008 at 11:05am
Food for thought while we are kinda on the subject....... Do you guy's remove the impellor for winter so that the vanes do not retain a "memory" ? I usually change mine every two years. Sometimes go 1.5 years if I notice the temp getting a little higher than I'd like. I do keep a new spare in the boat at ALL times.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2008 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Food for thought while we are kinda on the subject....... Do you guy's remove the impellor for winter so that the vanes do not retain a "memory" ? I usually change mine every two years. Sometimes go 1.5 years if I notice the temp getting a little higher than I'd like. I do keep a new spare in the boat at ALL times.

Never! Over 25 years on my dual cavity in my X55 and still going strong. Maybe it's a age thing - older is better? Right John??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2008 at 11:43am
Pete, I'm curious how you even change the impeller on your X55. It appears to be a crank driven pump that hides behind the main pulley. Seems like it is maybe a difficult job, especially on a boat with a front bench seat?

Even though impellers make look great, as they get old, they push less water. I recently changed an impeller on a 1988 Johnson 9.9. It was original, but looked perfect. I put the new one in and could not believe how much more water it was pushing and how much more quiet the engine was.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2008 at 12:18pm
Bruce,
The pump is a belt driven on the port side. I just unbolted the whole pump. It's not the greatest spot to get into but better than working on a PWC!! The rear engines can be even worse. My in-laws old OMC I/O had the tilt motor go out. The mechanic was considering being hung off the hoist by his feet so he could get down in the hole head first!

Yeh, I know it's time for a new set of impellers! When I get done with the re finish I'll go looking for them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2008 at 12:27pm
Went over 400 hours on our first impeller. Only changed it for piece of mind although the veins did take a good set and were a bit stiff but still kept the engine cool "enough". With all the skiing and barefooting we do though I'd hate to see it let go at 4k rpm.
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2008 at 1:10pm
I made my own fake a lake from a cheap toilet plunger and a piece of PVC. Take the rubber part off the stick and cut a whole in the center of the rubber part so water will flow through. cut a piece of 1-1/2" PVC to fit whatever length you need to wedge it and the plunger under your boat and to the ground. Cut a hole somewhere in the side of the PVC so you can run a water hose through the PVC and up to the plunger. Thread the hose onto the plunger and twist plunger back into the PVC. You now have a fake a lake that is custom fit for your boat and trailer. If you need pics I can get some.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2008 at 1:33pm
I agree with DavidF. The impellers are a lot more durable than you think. Last year I left the impeller in the pump and rotated the pump pulley a couple times over the winter so it wouldn't be set in the same spot all winter. I'm leaving it in again this winter and I'll change it in the spring after 2 full seasons. I bet it'll be in perfect shape just like every other impeller I've ever changed.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2008 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Fibersport Fibersport wrote:

One thing about garden hoses in buckets leading to your raw water pump, if you're not careful you can collapse it because of too much suction.
Greg

Guessing what Greg was trying to say is if you connect your garden hose directly to the water intake hose it can collapse the garden hose from too much suction. If you put both hoses in a full bucket of water you should not have a problem as your intake will draw from the bucket, the draw could exceed the supply for quite a while before the bucket would drain down.

Always remove the impeller during layup and keep a spare on hand, have used the same impeller for 100's of hours without any problems.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic