Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

distributor gear

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
heal-o View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heal-o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: distributor gear
    Posted: October-01-2008 at 11:01pm
question to whomever could help... I just bought a 1974 CC with a 302 mustang engine. it has a Mallory distributor. Problem the engine was running great, but then everything went down hill put a timing light on it and the timing was off and the engine wouldn't run. i then somehow got the engine running and it ran great, but then put a timing light back on it and watched the timing light move off the mark (it stopped running). Has any one ever had the distributor gear sheer? could this happen? someone told me that the distributor could have seezed up, i had some play in the rotor when i put the boat in the water, but now i have no play, but still turn when cranking the engine i thought it could be slipping and the only thing holding the gear on was fragments of metel for the role pin...
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 11:27am
possible, pull the dist and see what's going on, might be a timing chain issue too.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 11:32am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

possible, pull the dist and see what's going on, might be a timing chain issue too.

Or the mechanical advance is rusted up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 11:33am
It sounds like you have a bad timing chain.

However, don't jump to that conclusion before checking a couple things first.
1. Is your distributor points or electronic? If points, are they damaged?

2. Try turning the engine by hand using a ratchet/socket on the front of the crankshaft. Pull the distributor cap and rotate the crank shaft clockwise and then counter clockwise. If the timing chain has excess slack the rotor will pause when you change rotation direction. In other words the rotor will not turn until the chain slack is taken up.

Try that and let us know about the results.

It is rather uncommon for the distributor gear to wear out. Not impossible but very uncommon.

There's lots of knowledgeable CC fans here. We'll help you get it running!

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 11:36am
No play in the rotor leads me to think your mechanical advance is screwed up. You can shear the gear, believe me on that one, but the roll pin probably wouldnt break just the teeth on the gear. But if you did that you would have a lot of rotor play. You should be able to move that rotor about 20 degrees in one rotational direction at any time, if you cant the mechanical advance is probably buggered or something in general is in that distributor messing things up.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 11:36am
Dammit you got to be quick around here
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 11:38am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Dammit you got to be quick around here

No kidding. 4 replies in about 2 min!

Don't you guys have to work for a living? Oh, wait...I'm goofing off too!

heal-o View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heal-o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 11:51am
guys, thanks for all the good info and the quick replies, the engine now has points. it's a sin how the guy i bought the boat from kept it. I've always dreamed of having an older CC and now i've got it... This site is great i will work on the boat tonight and keep all informed, also put some pics up, boat is great shape except lack of engine mnts.

Thanks,

Ryan
heal-o View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heal-o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 1:00pm
everyone, i worked on the engine lastnight and took the dist cap off with a little lube oil sprayied in to the "machnical advance area" playied with the rotor and suddenly had a play back to the rotor. i put all back together turned the key and the engine started right up and runs great.

THANK YOU ALL!!! You're all a great group of CC boaters and fans. i will be posting some pics of my boat today. ONCE AGAIN THANKS.

-RYAN
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 1:56pm
I might want to source a new distributor before too long only a matter time before this one starts acting up again, but then if it wasn't taken that well of in the past and If you stay on top of things it could last too but again depends on the intended use and how long you plan to own when weighing the option to buy a new dist.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic