NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New rudder - loose

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New rudder - loose
    Posted: September-25-2008 at 1:03am
I have just had a new rudder installed into my 1989 SN. It's the newer style with the tuning adjustment tabs.

The problem is that there seems to be some play in the rudder that I don't recall previously. I didn't notice vibration throught the steering wheel, but with the rear floor up, I cound see the cable vibrating

Is there an adjustment to fix this.?

I'm dropping the boat back to my local ski boat shop tomorrow and would like to go through any issues with them.

Any advice would be appreciated.
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 1:37am
Chopper, I'm not sure if that type of rudder is correct for your older boat..I would double check with the dealer. With the boat out of water check to see if you have play by moving the rudder by hand and have someone hold the steering wheel. You can also e-mail me tomorrow at dhendricks@correctcraft.com
and I can check my records at work..
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 5:57am
Yes there is some slight play if you move it by hand.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 10:01am
is the play in the rudder port or side to side?
"the things you own will start to own you"
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 10:20am
Chopper what happened to your old rudder?

If the new shaft is the same diameter as the old one maybe it is just some type of turbulence issue with the tunable rudder. Did you replace the packing on the rudder. I'm finding it very difficult to buy the packing in Australia. They don't seem to have the 3/16" size. If you did let me know your source.

How do you go with the axle on your trailer?
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 10:23pm
Hey Lewy,
I "came across" some mudstone as speed in a local river whilst I was testing my newly installed flush kit.

Bent the rudder back, and bent up the prop blades a bit. had to get a new rudder as the old one cracked trying to straighten it. New prop / shaft, & had too get the skeg straightened too.

I don't think the packing bush was replaced. I spoke with my service guy about it this morning. He has a lot of bushing stock on the shelf. If he has the right one, I'll let you know. If not, we should get some sent over.

I haven't had a chance to even look at the axle.
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

is the play in the rudder port or side to side?

Hi Eric,
I'm not 100% sure. how do I check if it's the port.? I'm thinking the bush needs replacement.?

From memory there is some side movement.
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 10:27pm
Lads,
My mechanic has advised that I need a new "bearing" for my rudder housing.

Is there a bushing insert or something that is available.?

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet to see exactly what he means.
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 10:48pm
Hi guys,
Discount Inboard Marine list a replacement rudder port for 70-97 nautiques.

Will this be what I require, or do I simply need to replace the rope seal.? I think my mechanic's concern is that the top nut is damaged (probably due to the seal being worn out) and is out of round. If the seal is replaced, it may simply continue to happen.

Is it just the rope seal that I need to replace or is there a bushing insert (similar to the skeg) that needs to be replaced also.?

I think the movement problem is due to a non-existant shaft seal.

What are your thoughts.?

Lewy,
What part do you need.? I can add it to the order of you like.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 7:31am
Originally posted by Chopper Chopper wrote:

Hi guys,
Discount Inboard Marine list a replacement rudder port for 70-97 nautiques.

Will this be what I require, or do I simply need to replace the rope seal.? I think my mechanic's concern is that the top nut is damaged (probably due to the seal being worn out) and is out of round. If the seal is replaced, it may simply continue to happen.

Is it just the rope seal that I need to replace or is there a bushing insert (similar to the skeg) that needs to be replaced also.?

I think the movement problem is due to a non-existant shaft seal.

What are your thoughts.?

Lewy,
What part do you need.? I can add it to the order of you like.

The port should be one piece without any additional bushing. The rudder shaft to the port has always been a pretty sloppy fit. Re packing the stuffing box will usually take care of the slop. Since this isn't a continuiously rotating shaft, the packing can be tightened down quite alot.

Measure the distance between the shaft and the ID of the packing nut to make sure you need the 3/16". Maybe it needs 1/4"??

If you do need a new port, here's a source that will ship world wide:
rudder ports

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 10:19am
Chopper if you order from Skidim could you order a couple of extra 3/16" gortex packing. Have been unable to source 3/16" packing in Australia never mind the gortex stuff. Shoot me a email if you go thru Skidim so I can arrange payment to you.

I did the prop shaft on my 89 but while I have the rear floor out may as well do the rudder packing as well. It is a very different setup to the log with 2 seals that we use in Australia. But I can see advantages by being able to tighten the packing nut down and reseal the shaft as the packing wears.

From what I have read the rudder should be 3/16" like the prop but Pete would have a better idea. If it is the same rudder port from 70-97 Skidim should be able to advise you on the size of the packing also.

Gortex 3/16" packing

89 Ski

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 10:54am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

From what I have read the rudder should be 3/16" like the prop but Pete would have a better idea. If it is the same rudder port from 70-97 Skidim should be able to advise you on the size of the packing also.

I may not have a better idea!! I mentioned measuring the space because who knows what has happened to the boat in it's travels all the way down under!! Measure to be sure!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 11:19am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

I may not have a better idea!! I mentioned measuring the space because who knows what has happened to the boat in it's travels all the way down under!! Measure to be sure!

Definitely measure before ordering the packing! My '90 took 3/16" in both the driveshaft and rudder- but there seem to be a lot of inconsistencies. My dad's '03 took 1/4" in the driveshaft.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 8:48pm
Lewy - FYI My '89 took 1/4 inch for the rudder packing.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 12:54am
I might measure it then hey.!

Peter,
if I understand you correctly, I am measuring the ID of the packing nut, subtracting the rudder shaft dia. 1/2 of the difference should tell me if I require 3/16 or 1/4.?

Lewy,
You better measure yours too.

My service guy has seals on the shelf, but I didn't check what size he had.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Chopper Chopper wrote:

Peter,
if I understand you correctly, I am measuring the ID of the packing nut, subtracting the rudder shaft dia. 1/2 of the difference should tell me if I require 3/16 or 1/4.?

Yes, or get back there with a 3/16" and a 1/4" drill bit and see which one fits.

The ID of the nut is a little misleading. It's actually the ID of the port (the main body). On the inside of the nut, you should have a shoulder that pushes on the packing area. You'll see it!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 10:20am
Will measure mine & get back to you. It looks as though there is a few different rudder ports out there not the same from 70-97. CC must have had different suppliers over the years.

89 Ski

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic