Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wet seats and carpet

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
WackyWillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WackyWillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wet seats and carpet
    Posted: July-02-2008 at 5:23pm
Feedback please! I try to keep the interior of my boat dry because I've been told getting it wet promotes fiberglass cracking (from swelled wood) stringer and floor rot, along with ruining the carpet and upholstry (cracking and backing rot). The key to long boat life is to keep it dry. Some of my passengers disagree and think its perfectly fine for the interior of the boat to be soaked every time the boat goes out. What's your thoughts??? Am I being too protective of my boat???
JJ's seein' it right.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 5:25pm
Whats the boat...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Jetski180 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetski180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 5:27pm
It's a boat and it's made to get wet. I would agree that you should try and get it as dry as possible before storing or putting the cover on the boat. I wouldn't worry about somone getting into the boat dripping wet. As long as you take the time everytime after you finish using the boat to wipe it down and dry it off you will be fine. Good luck and enjoy your Nautique they are a blast.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 5:38pm
well actually they should drip dry before they get in the boat, stand on the platform and dry off then get in the boat it will allow the carpet and everything else to last much longer.

letting it get soaked is not the way to go because regardless of what you do you will never get it completely dry and you will always trap water in the foam of the seat and foam backing of the carpet. This promotes mold and rot not good and if there are cracks in the floor then it's in the wood too.

It's our boat if they do not want to follow your rules then have then get the hell out of the boat and get there own to trash or someone else's boat to ride in because that is not the way it works on your Boat The Captain aka own of the boat makes the rules and if you can't live with them then tough *************** get your own to *************** up.
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 5:43pm
And the dissenting opinion...what's the use of a long lasting boat if no one is having any fun?
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 5:48pm
Older boats with wood in the construction are more susceptible to issues with water in the boat. Still, even with modern boats, it can be a PITA to get the boat dry and ensure you don't get mildew, carpet spots, etc. under the cover. I have friends who make people towel off before getting into the boat. They also towel off boards, skis, etc. I'm not that anal, but I'm not happy when folks just pile in soaking wet and saturate the carpets.
A little common sense goes a long way.

In the end, its your boat, your rules. If my "passengers" disagree with my rules, and I don't have many, then they won't be invited back. BKH
Livin' the Dream

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 5:54pm
The key here is it is your boat. If you ask the others to drip off or dry before they get in the boat, they should honor your request. Of course that statement is out the window if it is your wife you are talking about!

I don't have to ask my kids to drip off. They know they get the evil eye if they don't. They also inform their friends of that rule if they take someone with them. You can still have fun & take care of the boat as the same time. In my opinion the water belongs on the outside of the boat.
Greg

86 BFN
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 5:54pm
Yeah I pretty much ride em hard and put them away wet, worst is the amount of water that comes out of the life jackets. The only thing that really ticks me off is when someone who knows better steps on a seat with shoes on, a long term ski buddy pulled that last year steping over the gunnel step pad and right onto the passenger seat, I guy a full interior exterior wash and wax out out of him before he was allowed back in the boat.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Yeah I pretty much ride em hard and put them away wet, worst is the amount of water that comes out of the life jackets.

I'm with Joe.

Best thing I ever did was put a canopy on my lift and a sun shade on the side.

I never cover the boat. Always dry.

Tim

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 6:16pm
You can also put some solar vents in your cover...

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

The only thing that really ticks me off is when someone who knows better steps on a seat with shoes on

Joe, I've got one even better - Stepping on a varnished deck or gunnel with shoes on!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
WackyWillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WackyWillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 8:41pm
Maybe a better description would help...

A group of kids really enjoys swimming off of the boat....   using it as a swim platform and diving off the sides. Getting into the boat numerous times soaking wet and sometimes even splashing the boat. The carpet gets completely saturated and takes days to dry out. I think it's totally damaging to the boat. I'm just wondering what your opinions are. It's a 2001 hull.
JJ's seein' it right.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 12:25am
Sounds like a case of kids gone wild! If you are that concerned, have them stop. There are ways of having fun without trashing the boat.
Greg

86 BFN
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 12:39am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

It's our boat if they do not want to follow your rules then have then get the hell out of the boat and get there own to trash or someone else's boat to ride in because that is not the way it works on your Boat The Captain aka own of the boat makes the rules and if you can't live with them then tough *************** get your own to *************** up.

I agree with Chris on this one. Captain's rules. My boat has six rules.
1. Only drivers are me or my wife. (I let my dad and nephew drive once...See rule #6)
2. Do not hit the boat with your board or ski.
3. Do not press on the rear vent covers when boarding.
4. No pets.
5. No smoking.
6. Any other rule the Captain comes up with.

Breaking any of thes will get you kicked off immediately!

Matt
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 12:42am
Originally posted by WackyWillie WackyWillie wrote:

Maybe a better description would help...

A group of kids really enjoys swimming off of the boat....   using it as a swim platform and diving off the sides. Getting into the boat numerous times soaking wet and sometimes even splashing the boat. The carpet gets completely saturated and takes days to dry out. I think it's totally damaging to the boat. I'm just wondering what your opinions are. It's a 2001 hull.

Parents need to control their kids!
Buy their own boat to tear up!

Matt
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 1:40am
Originally posted by Brktracer Brktracer wrote:

Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

I agree with Chris on this one. Captain's rules. My boat has six rules.
1. Only drivers are me or my wife. (I let my dad and nephew drive once...See rule #6)
2. Do not hit the boat with your board or ski.
3. Do not press on the rear vent covers when boarding.
4. No pets.
5. No smoking.
6. Any other rule the Captain comes up with.

Breaking any of thes will get you kicked off immediately!

Matt

Wow...Got a pylon stuck up your Azz??

Few rules in my boat:

1. Whenever the boat is not in gear the nuetral pin is pulled out.
2. Only one person in the boat on the lift.
3. Everybody that skis has to know how to drive. IE Everbody drives.
4. Don't bang up the boat for no reason.
5. Whenever the boat is not in gear the nuetral pin is out.

MichaelQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 4:34am
WackyWillie,

I had the same problem. Look at the 4th page of this General Discussion section and open up the "Teak Floors in '79 Nautique" thread.

It works great - boat is put away bone dry everytime.
- Michael Quigley
'79 Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic