NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone Recommend a Spare Tire Carrier

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone Recommend a Spare Tire Carrier
    Posted: June-19-2008 at 1:51am
Getting ready for the long trip to Green Lake.

Anyone recommend a spare tire carrier. A lot of the bolt-ons look flimsly. I'd really like to make as much room in the car as possible, so it would be great to mount the spare to the trailer.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 3:46am
Brian
How much room is there on the tongue of your trailer? Is there room to lay it down? This pic shows the cuda I just bought with the spare mounted that way.

btw, Im looking for a replcaement for this trailer..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 3:59am
Unfortunately no Steve, it's a swing away tongue. I either have to fabricate a carrier, which I don't have time to do right now, or buy one those side mount carriers. They're only about $35, but again, some look cheap. Don't want it falling off. BKH
Livin' the Dream

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 7:31am
Brian, Here's one high mount tire carrier
If the room on the tongue is real limited, I have used this type mounted opposite the jack stand so the mounting bolts are common (they share the same bolts or at least 1 set). I don't like the horizontal types because water gets trapped in the wheel even if you have a cover on it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 9:51am
Brian, I put one like Pete's showing on my new trailer and it's not flimsy at all. Mine came from Champion Trailer, it was less than $30.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 11:26am
Brian, I too had one like Pete linked and it worked great but that was on a Fish-n-Ski boat trailer. NOT cheesy at all. I got it from a local marine/outdoor supply store.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 1:28pm
here's a thought throw a blanket down in the boat and lay the tire in the boat. You have a v-drive so there should be room. I'm assumming you are only doing this because of the long hual in a couple of weeks.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 1:33pm
I'm with 79, for one trip just toss it in the boat. For the third year in a row, expect to see our spare in the back of the pickup.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 1:35pm
Thanks guys. For 30 bucks, why not.

Chris, I hear you, plenty of room in the boat. But, I generally try not to pile a bunch of stuff in there just because it's so easy to steal.   BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 1:37pm
if nothing else Brian it gives you peice of mind for the trip and allows you the time to do it right when you get back instead of rushing and getting something that is a compromise for what you actually want.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Thanks guys. For 30 bucks, why not.

Chris, I hear you, plenty of room in the boat. But, I generally try not to pile a bunch of stuff in there just because it's so easy to steal.   BKH

there's not a hugh market for hot tires though, so I doubt it would go, stereo and other stuff yes, tire, well not so sure.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 3:22pm
Brian, if you can wait till GL i will bring you one, have several galvanized in the Toy Shed.
Installed one on my trailer for the trip North last year, and the price will be Correct..............Boat dr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Brian, Here's one high mount tire carrier

I have that exact mount on my '90 trailer, and very similar ones on both Skiers. Its one of the first things I add- Ive never had a flat, but its cheap insurance.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 5:47pm
Very generous offer Doctor.

I bought one this morning for $28 shipped. I rarely tow more than 20 miles. This should get me through the trip.

Thanks all,

BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 1:54am
Every time I see that rig I like it more Tim...it sure is a nice looking set-up. You sure keep your toys nice.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 11:50am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Brian, if you can wait till GL i will bring you one, have several galvanized in the Toy Shed.
Installed one on my trailer for the trip North last year, and the price will be Correct..............Boat dr

Billy, I'll take one. Send a email and let me know the correct price.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic