NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

where and who do you work for

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
Author
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by PLBC PLBC wrote:

Think of your country before your personal wealth

Is it me or does this sound slightly communist?

It is you.

I am not saying to give to your country or get screwed, just think if the consequences of your actions and decisions. Who does it help (your country or another). If it doesn't help your country it won't help you in the long run.

(side note, where is my money?)
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 3:59pm
Man, I'm crawling in my skin wanting to jump into this, but my better judgment tells me don't touch it.

Perhaps over beers some time. BKH
Livin' the Dream

oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 4:09pm
Hi, I worked for IBM for 27 years and now work for Lenovo, the Chinese company that bought the personal computer division from them. We are all over the world but mostly split between the US and China. After working with these folks for some time now it shows that people are the same all over the world. I work in the service and support development area. I drive a white and gold 2000 Ford F150 step side and a black 2005 Chrysler 300C.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 4:17pm
PLBC I would back you pres, infact I think I should be you VP. Looks Like we think along the same lines.

I am nor trying to say that we can buy everything that we need made in america, oh wait maybe we can we did along time ago.

I also think if are gov. had the balls to level the playing field with all the countries that import stuff to us, you would buy your honda's or toyota's because you wouldn't be able to afford it. Just like japan does to ford and Gm car prices. But not many peolpe in the US know or care about that.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 4:19pm
Hey Gary (oldskiboat),

I see you work for Lenovo & you are up in North Carolina. We just did some drawings on a new project up there in Morrisville for Lenovo. Is that new building for you guys? If so, thanks for the USA / China $$$$$$$$ !

Greg

86 BFN
66Skylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 4:41pm
One example of our country going to hell in a hand basket…

My father works for a company that makes parts for various manufacturers.

They made prototype parts for a company that makes drills, as well as other household products... I don’t know if it is slander to mention the brand, I’ll only say they invented the portable hand drill…

After they tested the parts the drill company complained because the parts lasted too long. The parts didn’t fail as quickly as they wanted them to. They’re designing things to fail so the customer will to go out and buy a new one…

I'd rather see them design the item to last as long as possible. THAT would build brand loyalty and make me look at their other products...
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 4:52pm
that's why i don't buy B&D tools, millwakee or Dewalt are the way to go if you want them to last. There is only one thing to get from them and that's the wormdrive framing saw, everything else they make is crap for the week-end do it yourselfer then throw it out.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 4:56pm
Are these boats made in Japan? Toyota Epic

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 4:56pm
B&D makes Dewalt.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 5:30pm
Toyota Epic is no longer made at all. However, the hulls were made in the US, and they used a lexus V8 powerplant. They were built in one of the ba$$ boat factories in the south, but I cannot remember which one. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 5:41pm
Federal-Mogul recently sold its camshaft manufacturing business to a Chinese company. The brand "Speedpro" is no longer seen on the Federal-Mogul website. Depressing.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 6:44pm
I have a friend that works for federal-Mogul here in the states of course he a machinist.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 7:30pm
PLBC gets my vote for pres. as long as he brings Hollywood along as Secretary of Defense.
   Just for the record,I do own a foreign truck,as you already know,but currently in the stable is also an 03 Jeep Rubicon,an 06 Jeep Commander,06 Mustang GT conv,and I also own a Polaris 4-wheeler and an Arctic Cat sled.I drink American Beer,own a CC(obviously)and every other vehicle I've owned before this truck has been american made.I don't think that one truck qualifies me as being in love with everything foreign.I also believe (I may regret saying this) that people who buy American only,for whatever the reason,are sometimes missing out on a good product,but thats great if your happy with your purchase.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
duckfamily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 7:49pm
I am a lineman for an electrical company. I drive a Dodge Diesel. But I have 3 Hondas and 1 VW in my driveway also. When the americans can even come close in the car market I will consider switching. The big three could take a lesson from Honda, Toyota, VW and the Meloons. Do not sacrafice quality.
Correct Craft owner for 13 years.
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 9:50pm
I build low boy trailers for E.D.Etnyre.We build top quality products for road building and heavy hauling. We import some of our steel but that upsets me when we have a steel mill 30 miles away that goes out of buisness with over 1300 employees . I would just asoon buy american when I can . I drive a 94 buick ,2001 4 door f150 ,2001 Windstar I have a 67 442, a 59 and 72 CC and a 66 and 85 Chris Craft. I think we should buy american to keep the jobs and money in America.

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 10:34pm
I'll stand with BKH for now but am very tempted to jump in.
For now, I'll just say Ford ownes Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo, Aston Martin and a substainal portion of Mazda. Daimler-Crysler ownes, Detroit Diesel, Mercedes and Crysler/Dodge (of course). GM ownes Saab, Daewoo, Saturn and is in bed with Isuzu, Toyota, Suzuki, Renault and BMW. We live in a GLOBAL economy.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by PLBC PLBC wrote:

Think of your country before your personal wealth

Is it me or does this sound slightly communist?

Sounds more like FASCISM to me, seriously. I'm so Conservative I make G.W. Bush look like a "New Dealer" but come on, let's call a spade a spade.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2006 at 11:16am
union sheet metal worker local #33 cleveland ohio

adding to some of the comments germany has one the biggest union labor work forces in the world. i think people who buy foreign cars should place stickers reading along the lines of "proud to buy and support foreign countries, not my own"

bkh- i love your information on correct crafts... thats about where it stops... i understand we all have different opinions, and i try to respect that....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2006 at 11:28am
Originally posted by ryanandrews ryanandrews wrote:

bkh- i love your information on correct crafts... thats about where it stops... i understand we all have different opinions, and i try to respect that....

And that's why I stand here on the sideline for this one. Unlikely anyone, from any side of this, is going to change their mind anyway. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Atmspltr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atmspltr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2006 at 1:45pm
Interesting thread...

Senior Reactor Operator...nuke power plant...22 years and counting

2005 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab diesel...4x4
2000 Dodge Intrepid
1993 F-150 4x4
1991 Mustang GT
1969 Mustang Mach 1
1969 Camaro RS/SS

Not intentionally all American...just worked out that way. All things being equal, I'll spend my dollars at home.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2006 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

Hey Gary (oldskiboat),

I see you work for Lenovo & you are up in North Carolina. We just did some drawings on a new project up there in Morrisville for Lenovo. Is that new building for you guys? If so, thanks for the USA / China $$$$$$$$ !

Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2006 at 9:05pm
Yep, those building are for us. Hope you made out well on the drawings.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2006 at 9:49am
my brother in which is also my partner just bought this chrome side cover for his harley right from the dealership and on the backside of it it had a sticker...made in China. we are turning into a global economy one thing good about a global economy is that it discourages outsiders wanting to come here for the american dream because now they can make the same money somewhere else
"the things you own will start to own you"
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2006 at 5:11pm
I work for Liberty Mutual Insurance Group, so you would think I don't have to compete with foreign workers but...

That's not true. First of all, since insurance is really just a financial instrument (not a tangible product, like cars, etc), insurance companies buy and sell all the time. Furthermore, I am a technology worker, so my employer is always trying to figure out if they can outsource my job to India, China, even Ireland.

So far they've been unsuccessful, and unless India and China get a lot better at software development, my job is safe. It helps to be better than your competition, and in this particular industry the American workforce is still superior.

I have very mixed feelings about the global economy. I don't know where I stand. On the one hand, I want the best possible product I can get for the least amount of money and I don't appreciate laws that prevent me from doing that. On the other hand, I don't want American companies to be weakened in the market place because other countries exploit their labor force or use unfair govt practices to artificially reduce the price of their own goods. But now I need a third hand - having lived in a foreign country for an extended period of time, I am empathetic to the poor slaves that populate many of them and would like to see their lives improve. It's a very complicated, confusing issue that can't be boiled down to simplistic maxims like "Buy American."

The world has grown very complicated.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2006 at 5:45pm
Dchris,
I agree, there are no simplistic solutions to very complex issues. I have also spent some time either in 3rd world countries or working on projects in them. The issues that people face would be horrendous in our own eyes. Transportation, health care, food, water, housing, and safety, things that I take for granted are a daily challenge for much of the world.
I have several friends who have been affected by outsourcing and a then resulting change of lifestyle. On the other hand I have seen what can happen when Americans partner with communities in distressed areas. When we do that we make new friends and see their lifestyle improved.
I'm not so smart in figuring this out, but the more we can help other economies improve the better off we will be. Again, I realize that statement is rather simplistic, given the nature of third world problems. Of course the problems our own economy faces in health care, education, etc., cause many problems to people here.
To change the subject, I'm going to go run my boat around tomorrow.

Submitted with some hesitation,
Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2006 at 7:20pm
I teach art in a high school. I work about 190 days a year, and go to the lake just about everyday during the summer. I feel for you guys that have to work all year. Check out my website for my cla$$.
http://www.columbus.k12.nc.us/echsart/

I drive 3 4Runners and I still have my very first car, a Datsun Z car. My boat has the largest engine of all. Hey that might be a good poll.
Tim D
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2006 at 7:32pm
     I run the family business of installing and maintaining two-way radio systems consisting of 911 dispatch centers, radio tower sites, and repeater systems.

I drive a 99 Chev G3500 extended van converted by Quigleys in PA to 4 wheel drive with a 3 inch lift kit. It is also my pov 99% of the time.

Jeff...
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2006 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

that's why i don't buy B&D tools, millwakee or Dewalt are the way to go if you want them to last. There is only one thing to get from them and that's the wormdrive framing saw, everything else they make is crap for the week-end do it yourselfer then throw it out.

Are you saying,the B&D framing wormdrive saw is a good one? I never tried it. I have been using a Skill model 77 wormdrive saw for ever. Great saw for sure. I was in construction most of my life. Which means...I love tools! And looking for reasons to buy them too.
Scott
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2006 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by bkhallpa$$ bkhallpa$$ wrote:

Originally posted by ryanandrews ryanandrews wrote:

And that's why I stand here on the sideline for this one. Unlikely anyone, from any side of this, is going to change their mind anyway. BKH

I feel like I'm at a family reunion here.
Scott
trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2006 at 7:24am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

that's why i don't buy B&D tools, millwakee or Dewalt are the way to go if you want them to last..

Black and Decker is DeWalt, FYI. I worked in Industrial Distribution for 14 years as a middle manager, purchasing, sales, etc. and just recently left there for a career in Law Enforcement.
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
  Share Topic