Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

looking for a correct craft.....

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
airnautique85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airnautique85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking for a correct craft.....
    Posted: July-29-2010 at 3:21am
Am currently looking at a Ski Nautique 2001, 95 Sport Nautique, or a 92 Nautique Excel. The main thing that i was wondering is which produces the better wake?
Any inforomation about any of the boats would be helpful.

just a newbie trying to find the right kind of boat
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 3:33am
go with the 95.....unless you want to deal with rot in the 92 or 88. 95 also might have gt-40 and can produce a good wake.

Are you a high-level wakeboarder?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airnautique85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 2:10pm
not a high-level wakeboarder.. just a novice boarder
Excel94 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Excel94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 8:02pm
Storm34 brings up a good point that CCs from 1993 on did not have wood stringers, which is a key selling point.

Just from a "best wake" point of view you would probably be pleased with the Excel, even without additional weight.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Excel94 Excel94 wrote:

Storm34 brings up a good point that CCs from 1993 on did not have wood stringers, which is a key selling point.

Just from a "best wake" point of view you would probably be pleased with the Excel, even without additional weight.

and the additional space for not having the engine in the middle...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 8:38pm
'93/later excel or super sport. I'd love to have a V-drive for the space/wake.
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airnautique85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 12:38am
link for the 87 Ski Nautique 2001http://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/1861499484.html

link for the 92 Nautique Excel http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=820253

link for the 95 Sport Nautique http://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/1859830064.html

am looking for one that produces a decent wake for wakeboard and barefoot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airnautique85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 12:38am
sorry but i guess am not sure how to link to the website
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 2:30am
Of the 3 models listed, if I were you, I would go with the 95 sport, especially if it has the gt40.

The stringer rot is a serious issue. Also, as a novice boarder, the v drive excel could end up hurting you, not that the wake is a tiny wake on the sport nautique though. A sport can make a very nice wake when weighted down, but do everything else as well, and that year won't have wood stringers, and hopefully the gt40. The open bow will really make it nice.

As far as the 2001, well, they are good boats, but are small inside, have carbs, and have wood stringers.

edit, I looked at the sport. Get the sport if you can. That one is clean, has low hours, the GT40, and has a nice tower with a stereo already in it. Looks pretty turn key. I may be looking to add a sport or similar next year, and one like that for that $$ looks very nice.

The excel does look nice, but is older, not a GT40, and despite having a tower and an open bow, and a V drive, I still would buy the sport over it.   Personally I think the excel is overpriced, and it still has wood stringers remember.
excel
sport
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airnautique85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 3:00am
thanks for the help.... it is very appreciated
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 4:37am
Originally posted by Hawktique Hawktique wrote:

'93/later excel or super sport. I'd love to have a V-drive for the space/wake.

I'm not picking on you Hawk, but you raised a point I've been thinking about. There is an assumption that there is more space in a V-Drive. It is a common assumption, but I just don't think it is true.

Given a VDrive, and a Direct Drive with the same hull, I contend that there is the same space available in each. The layouts are different, and a person may prefer one over another, but I can't see a difference in available space. The motor box and the transom on the Direct Drive take up about the same space as the motorbox and the storage hatches on a VDrive. The open bows should have about the same space in each boat.

True, many VDrive are bigger boats, but I believe if you built the direct drive just as big, it would still have the same available space.   

Just thinking out loud.                  

BKH            
Livin' the Dream

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 12:30pm
Brian, look at the 2001 that form and function converted from DD to V drive thread.

maybe it is an illusion of more space with a VD vs DD, but you usually buy a bigger boat because you haul more people.    If you want to haul 8 people in the boat, poll then 7 other occupants on what boat has more room, whether the square feet are equal or not, and I'm sure the VD would have a majority of votes.

A very wise professor of mine in college once told me this...

"Perception alters reality"

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 1:17pm
I don't thing the space is any larger or smaller but pretty equal in actuallity, to me there are a couple main points for each, VD more storage space harder to work on the engine, DD less storage, easy access to engine.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by airnautique85 airnautique85 wrote:

link for the 87 Ski Nautique 2001 87 sn

link for the 92 Nautique Excel 92 excel

link for the 95 Sport Nautique 95 sport

now that works better other than the one is removed now
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 1:22pm
It looks like that 2001 is already gone?

Either way, I'd go with the sport. Both owners are asking about the same amount and I think the newer boat (sport) should be more valuable.

The v-drive layout can be a little nicer, but the direct drives are a little easier to service. The engine is a little more accessible when it's right in the middle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airnautique85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 2:01pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airnautique85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 2:02pm
try that link cause he did lower the price for a day and took it off and went back to the older ad
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 2:32pm
Yeah, that new link for the 2001 does work, but even though that 2001 is clean, if you can, buy the sport.
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 11:10pm
I love my 2001, it definitely has the best wake with no or little ballast, but in this case I'd probably pick the Sport as well. Well, actually if I had 15K to spend I'd keep looking for a SuperSport.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airnautique85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2010 at 12:47am
thanks for all the input, it helps a lot in my decision
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2010 at 1:00am
Originally posted by TRIP TRIP wrote:

I love my 2001, it definitely has the best wake with no or little ballast, but in this case I'd probably pick the Sport as well. Well, actually if I had 15K to spend I'd keep looking for a SuperSport.

It would have to be a very well abused super sport to go for 15k.
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 4:20am
Not neccessarily. I know a guy that found a PERFECT SS for just over 10K. I know, that won't happen again. But only a few days ago a really nice one with FCT2 popped up for I believe 16K. Was gone in a few hours. So yes, if you're not in a hurry you can find a good one for 15-ish, definitely.
Shiny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 12:07am
This is great info as I too am looking for an older correct craft. Actually would like to find a bit of a project boat. And close to my town too

-Shiny
You know its gonna be a good day, when you wake up and nothing new hurts!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic