Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Temporary" Garages

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Temporary" Garages
    Posted: November-01-2006 at 9:11am
I'm currently home shopping and recently came to the devastating conclusion that we will not be able to purchase a place with a sizable enough garage for the 2001. She's an '87 I bought this spring and has spent all her other winters in a heated barn. Needless to say, this was not an easy realization for me. The 2001 one and my new wife have become a solid 1-2 in my life (the order of which has yet to be determined), and the thought of her being outside, all alone, all winter, is a tough one (the boat that is, not the wife).

As a workaround, I'm giving serious consideration to one of those hideous looking "temporary" tents. I've found them at a couple different places, I think something suited to my size is going to run about $600, from what I've found thus far. Couple questions: Anyone use one? Any recommendations as far as type, size, brand, installation, place to buy one, and/or anything else I'm forgetting? Overton's has a pretty decent selection, the one pictured below is the style of the $600 12' x 24' x 8'

Paul

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2006 at 9:37am
Where are you located? I dont know much about temporary enclosures, but I would doubt such a tent would be suitable if you get any snow. Have you considered paying to have it stored somewhere? Another option is to have it shrink wrapped and then store it in your yard.
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2006 at 11:05am
I actually just purchased one of these for my 2001 last month.

I think it is 10x10x20 and cost 185.00 at CostCo.....it went through some wicked winds last week (gusts up to 40mph)without any problem......only problem is it was little short in lenght so the tongue of my trailer hangs out.

I paid $60 a month for storage, so it should pay for itself by the new year

TR is probably right about heavy snows.....good thing I live in the south

Life is Good.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2006 at 5:55pm
King Canopy

This one is snow load rated, so they do exist.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2006 at 9:02pm
I live in the burbs of Manhattan. Not exactly Maine, but we get some decent snow. I've seen some hold up relatively well. One of the guys I used to work for had one at his house complete with concrete slab, floor drains, landscaping, and a loft inside for storage. He had a larger one for plows, salters, etc. Again, these were all able to be be put up because they're "temporary." Money was no object for him, but for me, it very much is. The King Canopy looks great, but $1000 is kinda steep for me.

I also though it would be good not only for winter, but for those summer days when the carpet is soaked and you don't want to throw the cover on until everything is nice and dry. By the time its dry, the 2001 is usually full of leaves and needs to be vacuumed. It's kind of an annoying cycle.

Costco is a brilliant idea - I buy just about everything else there. I checked quickly on their website and didn't find anything, I'll have to dig a little more later.

I checked Amazon too, have gotten some amazing deals there, but nothing jumped out. I'll keep digging...
79 Mustang View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2006 at 9:15am
We live in the midewest. A popular storage option in this area has become the enclosed carports.

You can buy a car port package that includes sides and ends as well as service door and overhead door.

These builds offer greater protection than a canvas building and with some insulation could be heated.

These buildings also offer the ability to remain portable and could move with you if necessary and when mounted to concrete slabs are almost as nice as a regular garage for a fraction of the cost.

I looked at one on display in our area and the standard carport sold for around 600.00 and then approaced the $2000.00 range with sides, service door and overhead door. The one I looked at had a gable roof look as well making the building not too unattractive.

Here are links to a few such places...but shop around.....prices and packages vary greatly here in our city as well as on the internet.

In my view you are getting a lot more building here for not a lot more money.

Good luck

http://cla$$icmanor.com/carport2.htm

http://cla$$icmanor.com/carport3.htm

http://www.carports.com/garages.html

http://www.carports.com/online-brochure-versatube.html

http://www.portacover.com/photogallery.htm

http://www.gaport.com/garages.htm

http://www.superiorportablebuildings.com/Garages.htm
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2006 at 9:20am
Here is another such buildinghttp://www.elitedeals.com/vistoustsh121.html
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2006 at 4:34pm
sorry Paul.....couldn't find it online at Costco either...saw it my local store here in TN and bought it on the spot. Seems like costco's product offerings are allways changing,....guess I got lucky?

If you'd like some pics to help with your search, let me know.
Life is Good.
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2006 at 5:38pm
79 I see you work at Borg Warner. Do you know a guy by the name of Karlson that works in Dixon Il. He also does testing on new products for quality control at Borg in Dixon.

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2006 at 10:42pm
These enclosed carports are sweet! Unfortunatly, I have to due this on a shoe-string budget because all extra cash is going towards a down payment.

One thing I've learned about Costco: There is no such thing as, "Hmm... that's kinda cool, I'll think about it and buy it next time." It's already gone. If you see something and like it, buy one - better yet, buy two and return the second one if none of your buddies need or wants it. They'll take anything back (a buddy that used to work there told stories of people drinking a 1 3/4 gallons of milk and returning the rest because it was bad). I guess that goes along with the people in this area mentioned in the tranny thread (I apologize on their behalf - we're not all bad).

This is the most reasonable I've found so far, but I'm still diggin':

http://www.portablegaragedepot.com/index.cfm?sku=72434&catid=999999
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 8:10am
Paul, Have you considered taking off the swim platform to get it in the garage? I have a removable one on mine but again my garage is long enough to get her in without taking it off. Could you use a "you store it" facility until you move?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Paul, Have you considered taking off the swim platform to get it in the garage? I have a removable one on mine but again my garage is long enough to get her in without taking it off. Could you use a "you store it" facility until you move?

Yep. We're condo shopping because real estate is kinda pricey around here still, and that's all we can afford (even townhouses, which typically have at least one garage, are well out of our price range). I was adement about looking at places with garages (which, with condos, are far fewer and father between). We found a couple, but the garages are smaller, condo-sized garages (20 feet long). Even if I take the platform off, I still have to get the rest of the trailer (where the tongue is) in. I've read about ones that swing away, but I don't know if they can be retrofitted and if so, where I'd get that done. I have the original Correct Craft trailer. Width of the garage would be tight - but do-able. The last thing was that I haven't found a condo complex yet that lets you keep boats in the lots, so it was HAVE to be garaged. That would mean taking off the swim platform every time or leaving it off all together (and at this point, I don't think I could live without the platform). I was interetested to hear you say you have a "removable" platform, some type of quick-release setup?

Both the real estate agent and the wife have been more than understanding about the whole thing. That made it even tougher when I kind of came to the realization on my own that I probably wouldn't be able to take the 2001 to our new home (unless I want to move further upstate and commute 1 hour+ everyday). That's why I figured I'd put up one of the carport/garages and my father's house. It'll suck to not have the boat with me, but at least it will be dry, a little bit warmer, and reasonably protected.

...Unless, from what you're saying, I could have an easily-removable platform and a swing away trailer. Hmm... got any more info on these (a glimmer of hope is reignited!)?

Thanks again,

Paul
1987 SN2001
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 10:03am
HMmmmmmmmm, sounds like your in a pickle. One more reason "Why I love the south!" Yes the platform R & R in about 5 mins. two thumb screws and it slides up and off. I have seen somewhere ( may even be here ) that someone retrofitted their trailer to a swing away. Looked pretty good from what I remember and I think the guy was a welder and did it himself. You may have to dig a lil' but I know it has been done. I'll get the name of the company that sells the kit for the platform. May be available at skidim or somewhere's else.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 9:10am
Pat,

BorgWarner Dixon is a different division of our company....sorry to say I don't know that person.

Scott

Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 12:57pm
Alloy Marine Products for the removable brackets.. $100 bucks each bracket.. Pricey, but what isn't????

Moj
curvylake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curvylake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 11:14pm
I can't afford a $600 shelter right now. Does anyone have any tips for building an appropriate 2x4 frame shelter with a tarp type of solution? I live in upstate NY where it can snow heavily at times. The '82 Ski Tique I just brought home from Alabama deserves the best I can give her. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Matt
Matt
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 11:29pm
JUUNNKK...i bought one for my nautique last year...long story short..it ended up in my neighbors back yard a street over crumpled..garbage after that but manged to fight and argue a refund...they do not hold snow loads..it tells you that clearly on most of them...i was out there every day night brushing snow off until it sailed away..had it fastened properly also..
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 11:30pm
do what i do..get 2 construction h.d. tarps and wrap the thing up until spring..as long as its winterized your fine...
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 1:16am
Here's a swing away tongue but from what I've seen on older CC trailers I don't think you'll gain much as most come to a vee too close to the tongue.swing away tongue
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 10:00am
I ran out of room (too many CC's!) and bought one out of Northern tool about 12 years ago. It's in nothern Wisconsin and has seen plenty of snow. They are made for it. The picture with the snow in the link actually looks like mine! Even though I went with the cheaper grade of vinyl I have never had a problem. The forest green color blends in very well and the install was easy. Here's a site I found on line:
instant garage

It looks like Nothern Tool has changed brands plus when I ordered it, they just passed me on to the manufacturer and collected their commision. I do remember it ended up costing about $600 at the time because shipping wasn't cheap. They do have some weight to them! The only repair I had to do was when a tree limb punched a small hole in it. I'm not a duct tape type but it worked!

I've been through the route of trying to tarp a boat for outside snow country storage. The only way it works is if you build quite a elaborate pitched 1x4 framework for support. With tarping you also end up with potential moisture problems (just like heat shrink) unless vents are put in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 10:18am
Paul,
I've been thru two of those shelters.
You're right, they're great for about 10 months of the year. Keeps the boat dry, shaded and clean.
But during those other two months of snow/ice/wind we get each year, there always seems to be that one storm that'll bring it down!
Right now on my 84, I built a kind of curved skeleton out of PVC pipes. This sits inside from the transom up to about the front of the motor. Then I put a tube in the front seats for support between there and the windsheild. Then I add the mooring cover and then a tarp tied tightly over the whole thing.
I also crank the front up as high as it will go (until the skid plates hit the driveway) so that snow slides off to sides and rear.
I started building a carport but unfourtunately haven't finsished it yet. It'll be much nicer when that's completed!
Good luck - Snow on a Nautique sucks!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 11:00am
Originally posted by NAUTI84 NAUTI84 wrote:

Paul,
I've been thru two of those shelters.
But during those other two months of snow/ice/wind we get each year, there always seems to be that one storm that'll bring it down!

84, Where are you? If mine has lasted 12 years in northern Wisconsin, you must live in a REAL bad area of the country!
The two that you bought, were they a good high quality brand?

I'd like to add that my last trip up north is New Years. After that I shut down and drain the house so I'm not there to remove any snow on it the remainder of winter. 84, Are you using the screw in ground anchors?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

84, Where are you? If mine has lasted 12 years in northern Wisconsin, you must live in a REAL bad area of the country!
The two that you bought, were they a good high quality brand?

Probably not the best quaility, but not the real low end ones either. They had the 1.5" galvy pipes, but they also weren't the totally enclosed ones. (I was using just as a roof over boat. boat itself was still covered with a tarp.)
Problems seemed to be with a heavy wet snow's weight between the pipes and high winds that got underneath and peeled it back like a can opener. Bent the pipes 90 deg's!
And yep, even had ground stakes and added ratcheded straps to tighten as much as possible.
I've seen lots of people try to leave these up as car ports and by end of winter, you see many of them on the ground.   
The totally enclosed ones like the rounded "cover-it" brand may work better?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 12:39pm
84, You may have it figured out that the roof only was the problem with the wind getting under it. Mine is the "Cover-it" brand and is the house style. I did a on line search and couldn't find them but only looked at one page of results.
I do remember that when ordering it that the cheap vinyl that I got was guarantied for 7 years and the premium was for 15 years. Not feeling I would need it that long, I went cheap. I guess that at 12 years I'm now walking on thin ice but I have inspected it real close and there are no signs of vinyl problems.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 1:12pm
   My bro-in-law has a $600 shelter.He uses it to house small construction equipment in the winter.He used rebar bent over on the end and pounded into the ground to anchor it.We live in Maine and can get plenty of snow.He has never had a problem with his,but it has the arched roof,which appears to make all the difference.I've never seen any snow accumulate on it,it slides right off.He's very anal and has no complaints with his.It is also green and blends in very well.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 9:11pm
i only paid 250 bucks for mine..maybe thats why it was a diaster
curvylake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curvylake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by ryanandrews ryanandrews wrote:

do what i do..get 2 construction h.d. tarps and wrap the thing up until spring..as long as its winterized your fine...

yeah, and then do you put anything under that?? i was thinking like a big saw horse kind of thing that would sit in the boat to shed the snow....
Matt
DeepCreekNauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2007 at 4:54pm
We looked at a temp shelter but I was a worried about snow. I know a few guys who had problems with snow & wind resulting in a collapse. Once they fall in the structure, depending on the model, it pretty much shot.

This year, we purchased a heavy gauge cable and a 2 heavy duty tarps. We placed the trailer & boat between 2 trees on the long axis. Then we strung the cable between the trees and draped the tarps (doubled up) over it to form an 'A' frame tent. This created a steep pitched roof line. We tied down the tarps as tight as they would go.

We have had a few snows and heavy rains and everything seems to be working very well.

Total cost was about $60.00 not including all the beer we drank.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2007 at 5:01pm
beer is the best part
curvylake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curvylake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 12:53am
Thanks for the helpful info. I think I got covered today with this saw horse frame and a heavy duty tarp. You could probably get away with just the sawhorse alone but, like most of you, I care a little too much. I'm no carpenter but it was pretty easy and came out really solid.

I put pieces of plywood under the feet of the saw horse to avoid ripping the carpet.

Using pieces of wood clamped to the swim platform, I screwed the back extension to a piece of 2x4 scrap. Up front I wedged in a 2x4 near the trailer tongue using shims with screws into the 2x4.

I also ran bungees (you could use rope) from screws near the top of the saw horse to the trailer for extra snow support and sawhorse stability. I finished sharp parts of the wood by screwing pipe insulating foam to the 2x4's. I need to replace the 20'x30' tarp with something a little smaller and easier to tie off but I think this will work well for upstate NY. Cost about $100 with tarp and lots of bungees but it's reusable.

This is an unproven technique but I'm very confident about it and I'm certain I'll sleep much better this winter. Maybe this will help someone else in a similaur situation. I should move south. Can't wait for spring and summer! Hope everyone has a good winter. Thanks again!

Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic