NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1956 Collegian restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2021 at 9:58am
got all the bad frames replaced and set.  Also rebuilt the strut support block, slight overkill but it's not going anywhere.  Will try to get some CPES on everything this week so we can set the keel this weekend, after that we'll move on to cleaning up the stem.  Time to get a wood order going for the bottom.

Old Strut support

new strut support

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2021 at 2:46pm
Beautiful work. Enjoy following along.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2021 at 9:27pm
Always enjoy watching your work, Alan. You clearly make little compromise with regards to quality.
Question from someone who knows nothing about wood boat construction. What is the purpose of the bevels on the frames and strut support up against the keel? It obviously leaves an open gap there that I assume has a functional purpose.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2021 at 9:01am
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Question from someone who knows nothing about wood boat construction. What is the purpose of the bevels on the frames and strut support up against the keel? It obviously leaves an open gap there that I assume has a functional purpose.

That is simply a channel to prevent water from becoming trapped in that bay between the last frame member and the transom.  You can see all the frames have a similar notch at the keel so water can run to the lowest point of the bilge.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2021 at 9:11am
Thanks for the compliments guys but I would go on record saying that I've seen plenty of stringer jobs on here where the quality of wood working is beyond this level and there are several guys here that could easily tackle a wood boat if that was a bucket list item.  

Biggest issues I've seen are there's a learning curve with the materials and processes and acquiring the right tools.    AND Clamps, never have enough clamps.   I'm doing a few things differently than the factory to try to improve,  even some things that would have improved the Hurricane.  Learn as you go and try to do better than yesterday.  I'm also getting better with 5200 and epoxy.

Make sure you don't put a completion date on it, these wood boats take time.  Unless you could work on it every day the progress seems to take an eternity.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2021 at 1:57pm
Yes, I worked on the boat last weekend.  No I'm not going to post any pictures.  They all start to look the same after a while and I don't want to bore you.  

BUT, I'm going to side track slightly from boats and show a project I did over the Christmas break that got me back working on the boat.  It's relevant because up until this project I was in a bit of a slump with everything but my day job.

So short story, my son and I have a common interest in music and talk quite regularly about it.  He plays guitar and builds his own effects pedals.  He ended up buying a second amp to kick around with, it was a beat up old Peavey.  We started talking about making a new cabinet for it, one thing lead to another and I had a new project.   I had some Mahogany left over so we decided to try to build a cab that would have a sort of vintage look to it.  I also found some left over Lacewood so we added a new pedal board to the list.

I spent a couple of weeks in December on these two, collaberating with my son on colors, materials, hardware.  Love the way they came out but most of all it got me to pick up my tools again.  As soon as I was done I got back on the Collegian and started kicking butt again.  That was a deep rut that I hope I never fall back into again,  gotta stay busy.  Enjoy.

original cabinet

New vintage Mesa Boogie look in process

The finished product

and the finished pedal board

PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2021 at 2:06pm
As always, nice work Alan.
illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2021 at 2:45pm
Sweet!
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2021 at 8:01pm
Fantastic project Alan. Thumbs Up Looks great. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2021 at 5:35am
To follow in the off track here Alan...

I so enjoy watching YouTube/Discovery Channel/... videos about craftsmanship and woodworking in particular.
I literally spend hours on end watching them. So I truly enjoy topics like this one. 
And since I moved to our new beautiful house outside the city centre, where I now have my mancave/hobbyroom, these videos got me into making my own hobby woodworking space. 
Up untill now I have been working on making my (mobile) workbench:

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2021 at 7:24am
Kristof,
Nice! Thumbs Up Now you need to find a wood boat over there to restore. Big smile  Your new room needs some sawdust. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2021 at 8:57am
Kristoff,  That looks like a very nice work space and a great start.  You actually have more stationary pieces than I do.  Look into some dust collection next. 

I have a very nice table saw but other than that everything else is hand tools.  Band saw, thickness planer, jointer, shaper are all on my list but probably won't happen in this home shop because it's in the basement with limited access.  I can't even get a full sheet of plywood down stairs.  This is the main reason I stopped doing fine furniture work, boats seems to fit my shop and lack of equipment better.  

So for now I've been investing in better hand power tools as I go.  I've really fallen for Festool products which are crazy expensive but once you use one you'll have a hard time picking up anything else.  My most recent and probably the best tool I've ever purchased is a Festool track saw with a 5' and a 10' track.  This is an unbelievably effective tool especially when you can't get sheets of plywood to the table saw.   I have an assortment of routers and I still want to pick up a new Festool router because they are just so darn nice.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2021 at 9:09am
And since no one gave me any crap for going off track, here are your pictures, don't say I didn't warn you. 

I got home from work a little early and installed the keel last night.  I wanted get this in and give the 5200 a few days to set so I can shape the keel in over the weekend.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2021 at 9:34am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

My most recent and probably the best tool I've ever purchased is a Festool track saw with a 5' and a 10' track.  This is an unbelievably effective tool especially when you can't get sheets of plywood to the table saw. 

Besides trying to maneuver 4x8's on the table saw, there's also a weight issue. It seem that over the years, they are making plywood heivier! Wink Yes, the track saw sure is the way to go. I went the cheap route in getting a Kreg track that you mount your own saw on it's sled. But then, I decided I needed a new saw and felt cordless was the way to go. Add the saw cost to a decent blade and a 6Ah battery and I should have gone Festool!! Getting back to handling 4x8 sheets of ply, my recent purchase of cabinet grade was a special order at the Home Depot. My decision to go with the Depot was due to them having a panel saw. Once the order came in, we ripped the 4x8's down to 16" widths which fit my needs AND made the ply something I could easily handle. Then finish cuts with the Kreg track. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2021 at 10:12am

Be careful guys, you will end up with one of these…LOL 

If you like playing with dovetails can recommend this jig works well https://www.leightools.com/super-jigs-overview 

keep up the great work guys Thumbs Up

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2021 at 10:41am
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Be careful guys, you will end up with one of these…LOL 

If you like playing with dovetails can recommend this jig works well https://www.leightools.com/super-jigs-overview 

keep up the great work guys Thumbs Up

You're killing me Roger.  My work neighbor just closed his cabinet shop and sold a large CNC like that,  I kept trying to find a reason to buy it, thankfully I couldn't.  

PS.  Never said I liked playing with Dovetails, LOL.  Those Leigh jigs are nice.  I use an $89 Craftsman that is one step from the trash can.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2021 at 11:21am
Pretty impressive fellas. Didn't know what a track saw was so I had to look it up. What a cool tool.  May have to invest in one myself. Damn sure coulda used one to rip the 5/4 trex boards on the Morfoot Marina dock I'm modifing. Thanks for sharing and costing me more money guys. Good stuff Alan. Keep up the nice work. Thumbs Up

Roger I may have to make a trip across the pond just to see your shop! Wink
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2021 at 11:54am
Alan, you were wise to step away from an old CNC if it was a router, we had our big one go to scrap and small has gone to the 3rd world in a container, its the operating systems that go or out dated, it gets harder and harder to keep converting files back into Win 95/98 some have taken to time to convert to a newer system but its all time and money...We went with new 4.5 axis CNC... the picture is of our beam saw with scribing which is CNC its there baby saw can only cut 4off 3/4 stack 10x4ft at a time or any stack of sheets10x10ft max.

keep the pictures coming they go well with my tea...Thumbs Up 

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2021 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Pretty impressive fellas. Didn't know what a track saw was so I had to look it up. What a cool tool.  May have to invest in one myself. Damn sure coulda used one to rip the 5/4 trex boards on the Morfoot Marina dock I'm modifing. Thanks for sharing and costing me more money guys. Good stuff Alan. Keep up the nice work. Thumbs Up

Tim, any time let this Cov 19 go first as you pay £1750 to isolate in a hotel. Ouch 
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 3:45am

Look into some dust collection next.
That is indeed the next on my list... Making a DIY dust collection system Embarrassed

My most recent and probably the best tool I've ever purchased is a Festool track saw with a 5' and a 10' track. 
I love my track saw. Lots of parts of that workbench came to be by it... 

Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Since you will have crossed the pond, after visiting Roger, hop across the Channel to Belgium for a few beers and a slalom pull Smile

- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 7:08am
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Kristof,
What brands of track saws are available over there? What did you purchase? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2021 at 3:02pm
Feeling pretty good about the progress although I'm running out of time very quickly as the weather looks better every day actual boating will push this aside very soon.   The inner chines got steamed and installed this weekend. 

Next up will be to fair the chines in, fit and install the outer chines, CPES and paint the framework and then I'm going to try to get the inner plywood bottom fitted and installed.  Slightly optimistic but I've got a full head of steam so I'm going to keep at it.

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2021 at 6:23pm
I see your compulsion to collect and save wooden CC's is now moving into to JGC's Wink

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2021 at 4:26am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Kristof,
What brands of track saws are available over there? What did you purchase? 

All kinds of brands like Festool, Bosch, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Black&Decker, Makita...
I bought a brand called Parkside, made in Germany. These are good quality hobbygrade electric tools. Have made quite some projects with these tools and they never failed me. (I did look at tons of YouTube reviews on them before purchasing them). 
The good thing is that they cost a fraction of expensive brands like Dewalt or Festool.
And I am a hobbyist, not a professional carpenter Big smile

I try to limit my moneypit to the boat and the model aircrafts LOL

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2021 at 6:49am

I bought a brand called Parkside, made in Germany. These are good quality hobbygrade electric tools. Have made quite some projects with these tools and they never failed me. 
The good thing is that they cost a fraction of expensive brands like Dewalt or Festool.
And I am a hobbyist, not a professional carpenter Big smile

The Parkside brand sounds like our Ryobi over here. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2021 at 9:31am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

I see your compulsion to collect and save wooden CC's is now moving into to JGC's Wink

I had to get Dana one so she'd stop driving mine!  155,000 miles and still running like new.  Her's is a gasser because the eco Diesel is no longer available in the JGC. Shame because it is without question the best vehicle I have ever owned.  Lot's of hate for the Eco diesel in the states but I must be the exception.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2021 at 8:55am
Got a days worth of work done over the weekend.  Still have a few more pieces to fit in at the bow but it's coming along.  These are just temp fastened and will all need to come off so I can Cpes before permanent installation.  

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2021 at 8:58am
Alan,
Are you still getting lumber from LL Johnson?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2021 at 8:59am

Alan,

Yes
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2021 at 9:01am

Alan,

Yes

It sure looks good. I've never heard anything bad about their lumber. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic