Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski pylon

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2015 at 12:09pm
When I bought my used Wildcat a year ago the transom had 3 after market ski towing rings fitted thru the hull. It looked way too cluttered for my liking so I had them cut off after we thought by just removing the nuts on the inside and hammering them towards the outside. Well, they weren't budging at all. Very time consuming since they were up inside just above the fuel tank with all the wiring and cramped space. We ended up cutting them off on the outside right against the hull with a grinder and then had to use a grinder wheel to go into the glass where the bolts were, patched and painted each cup with gel coat to match the hull color. I think it came out pretty good!

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7613&sort=&pagenum=1
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2015 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

8 teenage skiers on two skis isn't even equal to 1 full size adult on 1 ski.

I'm having a little trouble buying this. I've never seen a slalom skier who knows what he is doing, do anything but pop right up behind any inboard. Say that's about 175-200 pounds. Eight (smaller) skiers is going on 1000 pounds or better. Any group ski I have seen with 4, 5, 6, or more, it takes a little bit of work on the part of the boat and a few yards to get them all up.

The use the lifting ring for pulling argument will live on. Many say they've seen it done for ever, especially on the older boats without pylons, will argue their point and folks who have seen some spider cracks will argue their point. But like many of the extreme positions held here, lets be reasonable. To say a boat shouldn't be tied to a dock with the lifting rings because they are for lifting only, is just plain silly.

Actually, I think Pete may be trying to make the point that it's not so much the getting up, but the tremendous stress created when an accomplished slalom skier makes an agressive cut, but it would take an engineer to determine ultimately how that would compare to the aggregate weight of multiple skiers.

My comment on tying off to the bow ring was simply a sarcastic smarta#! remark about an earlier thread that somehow recommended not using the factory equipped cleats on a Southwind. Of course many boats do not have cleats, including my Century; on which we have been tying up to the front ring for 40 years.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2015 at 1:51pm
That could very well be, tho, not the way I read it. But it is a fair point. Years ago I read that a strong slalom skier pulls about 300 pounds. That was likely dated info, so I did a little research and came up with this snippit out of the BallofSpray forum. 600 to 750 pounds, legend of Mapple hitting 1000 pounds, but no strain gauge to support that. Still, 600-750 is pretty good. I am not sure any of us weekend warriors have to worry about that, though. Be interesting to put those 8 skiers on combos on a strain gauge.

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/7033/the-physical-forces-of-slalom-skiing
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2015 at 2:38pm
Oh I don't think that's how he really meant it either, I was just offering a kind out...

I wonder how time and equipment advances play into it also. Would the cut a guy like Joe Cash might have made on a wood ski with rudimentary bindings have had a more or less violent effect on the boat than the cut a modern competitor makes with a high tech ski and 2 big boots? You might think the new guys cuts are more radical, but in actuality perhaps are smoother? Hmmmmm. .....

Guess you'd have to find some old video or compare tournament stats old vs new.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2015 at 9:54pm
This is my front ring,no idea of how they got there.They have been around since I have had it. Not a single crack on the back

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 4:09pm
Funny you mention Joe Cash. I was thinking it was a Joe Cash picture that had the caption about 300 pound pull. I was wrong on two counts. It was a Billy Spencer (1963 world champ) picture with the caption, and it was 460 pounds, not 300. Here are the two pics out of an old book I have (that one day I will have to return to my high school library, I am guessing)

Seeing the picture of Joe Cash kind of reminds me of a pet peeve I have. I kind of chuckle at weekend warriors that think they have to go out and buy a $1500 ski because it will make them better. Yet look what Joe Cash could do on a flat wooden ski. I think just about everyone who is free skiing would be just fine on an O'Brien World Team Comp. I know, the flamers will tell me better equipment helps and makes it easier to progress, but I would contend a lot of people spend a lot of money on equipment that is a lot better then they are or ever will be. Not a complaint or criticism by any means, just an observation. (from a guy who is notoriously cheap, just ask HW about my awesome rope collection.)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 4:26pm
Larry, I think your tube is the most valuable piece of water "sports" equipment you own.

Can you snag more buoys on a modern ski with small, modern wakes? Yes. Does that make ME better or the boat & ski better? Did I increase my skill level or did the equipment allow my current level to score better?
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 4:33pm
But imagine what he coulda done on a new ski....

Many years ago I was standing on shore with a friend, and his brother overdid his landing, hit the rocks at speed, flew out of the ski, and tumbled to a stop on the shale; his brother went running, presumably to check on his brother, but then kept on running right past him yelling "oh no, my Joe Cash!!!"....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 4:35pm
You were sworn to secrecy about that. (besides, probably needless to say, it was a gift from very generous, periodic visitors, who thought my equipment shed needed one.)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 4:38pm
sure it was
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 4:43pm
Back to HW's question. I am an intermediate to advanced recreational skier and an absolute novice/rookie course skier. If I went though a course on a World Team and then a Radar Vapor, would I do any better? Not sure. Be fun to test that out. Put Joel on one then the other and there probably would be a difference. But Nate Smith on one then the other, probably be a difference, but me, not sure. I may be at a WTC level and after that it doesn't matter. Put me on a flat wooden ski and then a WTC and I would do better.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 5:35pm
First time I skied a composite/fiberglass ski I hated it, could ski way better on the basic woody I was used to. 30 years and numerous fancy pants composite slalom ski's later put me on an intermediate or wood ski and I hate it, can push it all over the place.
To your point Larry, do believe what you are used to makes you a better skier however the latest and greatest gear out there now is some pretty amazing stuff from boats to bindings and everything in between.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

This is my front ring,no idea of how they got there.They have been around since I have had it. Not a single crack on the back

Gary,

We are going to have to renegotiate my offer on the old blue boat of your that you are not using any more.

Jus saying.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2015 at 1:03am
Well if Larry is added to the list of famous CCF Tubers that just about seals it, I need a tube! Any day now I expect Pete to come out of the tubing closet

Don there is no negotiating on price the line behind you is just too long. It is because everyone knows that it's very rare to find a Correct Craft that has never been used at Cypress Gardens.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2015 at 5:22am
what did you do with the old tow rings :D

I want one hahaha
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2015 at 4:57pm
I have skied on an O'Brien World Team Comp for the past 25 years. I would say I am a good skier, not a course skier. When I bought my boat the guy threw in an HO ski that may be aliitle to big for me but there is a big difference between the two. Easier to get up with the HO and I think better control. I haven't gone back the the O'Brien. If I ever get a day off I'll have to try both and report back.
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"
Jacob24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 10:52am
Hello

I am a fairly new member, and I'm from Belgium. I want to keep my 1982 SN all original, and therefor I've bought the extended pylon mount. My question is if anyone knows if any extended pylon will fit my pylon mount?

Thank you
Jacob
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 11:03am
We can't answer that without info on the mount and the pylon you have. The SDBM is a 2.5" diameter bar and most extended pylons are made to slip over that size.

Jacob24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 11:21am
Ok great. I got the actual SDBM, so you did answer my question. Thanks
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 11:24am
Jacob,
Welcome to CCfan. It's always great to add another member from overseas.

Do you happen to know this member? If not, get in touch with him. Kristoff has been with us for some time and is one of the many fantastic members.

HW is correct. posting the diameter of your pylon will allow us to answer your question better.

Do you have any pictures you can post of the boat? We always ask!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jacob24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 11:41am
Hello and thank you for the warm welcome

This is unbelieveable, I don't know Khristoff personally yet, but I actually do know who he is, and I know his Boat. He is THE driver for THE ski team in my neighbour town, And I'm a member of THE other water sports club. So our teams are like 1 Mile seperated from eachother.
Pictures of my boat Will follow soon, but I've to leave for work now Quickly.

Best regards
Jacob
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic