Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - GT-40 EFI Engine sputtering, ECM relay or FCC???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 EFI Engine sputtering, ECM relay or FCC???

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
ricofrancois View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT-40 EFI Engine sputtering, ECM relay or FCC???
    Posted: January-11-2013 at 4:06am
Hi

I have a CC 97 with GT-40. It is mainly used for slalom skiing at 34mph. I use the boat all year with no more than 2 weeks unused.

A few weeks ago, I used the boat to ski. We skied about 4-5 sets and the boat ran fine until it chocked for 1 sec at 34mph, before the gate. It was like the power died for 1 sec and came back. It was short enough for the skier to complete the pass. The boat ran fine thereafter. It was about 50F air and water.

2 weeks later I used the boat again. Same thing boat starts perfect and we ski a few sets until it did the same thing again. This time I notice that the "check engine light" came on for 1 sec while the boat choked.

On the next pass the boat did it straight away but a lot worse choking several time with a strong smell of gas.

We decided to go back to the dock with engine running fine on idle.

The only thing we noticed is the exhaust manifolds are colder than normal and while the temp gauge is moving, it seems that it is moving a lot slower.

Our theory was that the thermostat is malfunctioning and instead of opening progressively, the engine gets hot and the thermostat opens suddenly which causes the computer to over feed the engine with gas choking it.

Would it make sense?

Last service was within a year and impeller, oil filter, fuel filter... were replaced. Spark plugs are 18 months old and thermostat was replaced 1 year ago as the old one was stuck open.

Thanks

Ski Nautique 97 - GT40 EFI
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2013 at 5:20am
My '98 did the same thing, but it was the lanyard.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2013 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by ricofrancois ricofrancois wrote:

Our theory was that the thermostat is malfunctioning and instead of opening progressively, the engine gets hot and the thermostat opens suddenly which causes the computer to over feed the engine with gas choking it.

Would it make sense?

If you are taking a poll I would say no. I have never heard of this happening, not even sure it is possible. What is there for computer diagnostics out there for this engine? You need to find out what might be triggering the CEL. I think Jody is selling a PCM service manual. I would pick up the phone and start calling CC service departments.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2013 at 12:29pm
A.) I like SN206's idea to check the lanyard switch. Always rule out the simple things first.

B.) Check out this thread:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25584&title=poor-mans-gt40-diagnosis

C.) I already checked out above thread for you, of all the options listed in it, I like this one best: http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23424&PN=1&title=engine-missing It turned out to be an ECM relay.

D.) I also like this one, secondarily:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23542&title=interruptions-while-running--2001-super-sport Distributor Stator issue. Not sure how you fix/replace that though, as not much detail was given.

E.) Make sure you circle back with your findings.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2013 at 5:35pm
SN206 Did yours stall or ran poorly otherwise? Mine is only under load at 34mph or after getting up a skier.

Hollywood, I think I agree as the thermostat was replaced not too long ago. The CEL may have turned on because the engine almost stalled before power came back but I will check if I can get a read on the fault stored.

Bri892001 Lanyard or ECM relay would be cheap fix

I am going to the lake on sunday and will report back.

Thanks to all

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2013 at 5:52pm
The colder than "normal" manifolds could be that your newer impeller is doing a better job of delivering cool water to them than your old one. I'm not a 100% on this, but I don't think the t-stat affects the amount of water being delivered to the manifolds. As, water is constantly going through the manifolds whether the t-stat is open or not.

One question, this smell of raw gas, any idea if it is coming out of the exhaust or from under the engine cover?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2013 at 6:04pm
The impeller was replaced last march and the manifolds were definitely warmer with the new one but could be wrong.

The gas smell was out of the exhaust.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2013 at 7:14pm
cold manifolds is not a problem
This is the life
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2013 at 7:17pm
I would check over electric connections make sure all are clean and tight.
This is the life
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2013 at 7:35pm
I told to a boat mechanic and he told that what I am describing is likely fuel related. Maybe a fuel pump about to die. I ordered an ECM Relay anyway and will try that as inexpensive enough.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2013 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by ricofrancois ricofrancois wrote:

This time I notice that the "check engine light" came on for 1 sec while the boat choked.

This is the critical bit of information you have either a faulty SLOW (limp) mode oil pressure switch or the faulty SLOW mode temp switch. These switches are additional to the senders for the temp and oil pressure gauges. There is also the possibility of a SLOW circuit wiring problem.

You can test this by just disconnecting the wire from both of these SLOW switches.

Is the engine running at normal temps 160 ish?

I have some pictures of the location of these SLOW switches that I will post when I get on the right computer.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2013 at 11:51am
+1 on what Lewy said.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2013 at 1:25pm
I was going to suggest oil pressure switch or wiring issue yesterday but decided to keep my mouth shut as I'm not too engine-savvy but my '96 did the same exact thing after Woody put the new GT-40 heads on it a couple years ago. First water test after the new heads were on I backed it off the trailer and idled out, ran great. As soon as I got into it it did exactly what the OP described. Turned out a loose connection to the pressure switch.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2013 at 5:36pm
Anyone knows where the high pressure pump is?
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 3:03am
It is inside the FCC.

89 Ski

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 4:23am
Hi

I took the boat out for a test drive, unfortunately the fuel pressure gauge I had didn't fit. I will have to get one for a smaller valve. Anyone know what gauge fits? Is it just ford?

The service manual I have downloaded from Planet Nautique is for the old GT40 with high pressure pump at the back.

Anyway, I ran the boat (temp 45). Started perfect with a bit of a loping at idle which is normally only in the summer.

I ran a few passes including WOT over 40mph and everything ran fine. Water temp and oil pressure looked perfect.

I let the boat rest for an hour and ran another few passes in the course at 34mph. 1st pass fine, second pass the GT40 sputtered at the end of the course, I put the throttle in neutral and the engine stalled. Again water temp was on 150 and oil pressure steady just above 40.

I started the engine and cruised back to the dock at 30mph with engine sounding fine.

I checked the oil pressure switch and connections and it seemed fine.

I always leave the tank full and use the boat at least every other week. I will try dry gas anyway.

I will replace the fuel filter next week end, but someone mentioned a clear hose that could be cracked in the FCC, do you have a part number?

I will also get the relays R130011 at NAPA. Are they exactly the same as NAPA AR174?

Thanks for your help again!

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 8:35am
Is the engine check light still on as stated previously? If so you are getting way of track.

89 Ski

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 1:29pm
The CEL came on but I think it's more because the engine stalled. The light is on whenever the key is turn with engine off.

Lewy2001 if you have the pics of where the oil switches are, that would be great!

I will plug a fault reader next time as well.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 8:09pm
Eric, these switches are additional to the gauge senders with the oil SLOW switch you can see the gauge sensor clearly right next to the SLOW switch. The temp slow switch is in the top of the inlet manifold mine is a bit more obvious as I have a "T" and 45 degree elbow in original inlet manifold location for a heater. The temp gauge sensor is in the circulation water pump.

OIL SLOW SWITCH

TEMP SLOW SWITCH

89 Ski

wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 3:49pm
Fuel filter and the small hose in there cracking? (Theres a fix kit for it) I had similar symptoms on my 1997 GT-40 and this seemed to be the permanent fix.
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 4:27pm
Here's a write up of another member with the same issue...

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21983&title=pcm-gt40-backfires

1964 American Skier
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 4:37pm
Thanks Lewy2001!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 4:48pm
Keep Wetskier2000's suggestion in mind too. Considering how frequently that little tube fails, and how relatively cheap it is to fix, it's worth checking, even if it's just to cross off and move to the next suggestion.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 4:52pm
Yes I just ordered my service parts but it shipped already.

I think the hose is part number R035098B and costs $4

I will see if I can find it locally, so I don't have to wait!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by wetskier2000 wetskier2000 wrote:

Here's a write up of another member with the same issue...

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21983&title=pcm-gt40-backfires

For the convenience of all, here's a proper link

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2013 at 1:34am
ok so I took the boat out today.

still waiting for my service parts that include the fuel filter with o ring and fuel pump hose.

Anyway I went out and tried to read an error code with my code reader but couldn't get it to work.

I decided to change my ECM and FUEL PUMP relays as this came up as a common fix and the boat worked fine all day. The issue never occurred.

I don't think I feel this is a definite fix but it's looking good so far.

Only problem is while we were running the boat without the engine cover, we noticed that the manifold were leaking a bit... starting new thread!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2013 at 11:50am
Sounds good so far...

Yes, the relays.. I keep a spare in the boat...

Do you have a CEL when the engine is running? If it's only on with key on, engine off, isn't that normal?

Finally did my manifold leaking repair this year also...

I wish I was skiing but it's 16 degrees here right now...

1964 American Skier
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2013 at 9:19pm
Hopefully this is it! The CEL only came on during engine off key on. However when the problem occurred it almost stalled the engine which I guess reproduce key on engine off for a second.

Anyway I will run the boat on sunday and see if it's a definitive fix.

Now I am worried about changing the riser gaskets and finding a decomposing manifold. The boat was only ever on fresh water, so hopefully it should be okay.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 10:46am
If the CEL light is not coming on with engine running then it will not be the SLOW circuit being activated causing the problem. Maybe you should have been more clear with the symptom description.

The first thing you need to verify is the fuel pressure at both idle (31 +or- 3 psi) and just ignition key on engine off (39 +or- 3 psi). You can also check your pressure at WOT or with the vacuum hose removed from fuel pressure regulator for max fuel pressure. The relays could be the problem but a fuel pressure gauge will help confirm. The computer will not store a code for low fuel pressure.

89 Ski

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 4:38am
The boat didn't start after running fine for a set. I noticed I couldn't hear the fuel pump anymore when turning the key. After checking a few things, I tried to play with the emergency circuit cut off switch and the fuel pump started again and the engine ran fine. I guess it could explain the whole intermittent cut of.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic