Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM GT40 backfires

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bruce R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM GT40 backfires
    Posted: June-06-2011 at 12:32am
I have a 1997 SkiNautique 176 with a PCM 351 GT40 engine. It has about 600 HRS on the clock. It has not run much over the last two years (about 5 HRS run time). Anyway, I just pulled it out of the garage, changed the oil, drained the fuel out of the FCC and chenged tge fuel filter. The old filter was a little dirty bit nothing major and the fuel looked and smelled OK. Anyway, took it out and it ran it for 15 - 20 minutes without any issues. Parked it at camp for about 1.5 hours, and afterwards, it would barely run. Idled poorly and would backfire and die at anything above idle. Changed plugs (looked good), plug wires and coil wire, distributor cap and rotor with no help. It sounds like both pumps are turning on OK when you turn key. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce R
Bruce R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 12:56am
I should also mention that the impellor was also changed before hand, In addition, the water temp and oil pressure was OK when I ran it for the 15-20 minutes. I had to be towed back to the ramp (bummer). This is the first major failure that I have had with this boat since I bought it new.
Bruce R
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 1:12am
Bruce how old is the gas? New fuels don't last very long before it seperates.I'd get it out of the tank,drain the filter and throw in a can of seafoam and refill with fresh fuel and go from there.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 2:30pm
Both pumps? Is it EFI?

Backfire is almost exclusivly an ignition timing issue (wrong spark at wrong time). Is the distributor mechanical advance under the rotor free / smooth and working properly? Distributor hold down bolt secure and static timing unchanged.

Does the distributor rotor point at #1 cyl pole on dist cap when #1 is at TDC on Compression stroke? Obviously it did when running but somthing has changed.    
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Bruce R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 3:00pm
I believe that I had about 1/2 to 3/4 tank most likely from last summer.
My plan is to drain the FCC again, remove canister and look for anything obvious. Thank you for your advise.
Bruce R
Bruce R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 3:11pm
It is a GT40 EFI engine with two fuel pumps. One supplies fuel to the FCC. The second is a high pressure pump that supplies fuel to the fuel rail for the injectors. The boat ran perfectly at idle and high speed for 15-20 minutes. I let it sit for about an hour and then it started, would barely idle, would barely run in gear and would backfire and quit when any throttle was applied. I checked and replaced the plugs, wires, rotor and cap. BTW all looked very good. Good point though, I will check timing and or alignment of the distibutor, rotor with #1 TDC.
Questions

1. Could a faulty coil cause these symptoms
2. Could a faulty fuel pump (either one)cause these symptoms
3. what is the quickest way to check fuel pressure on the fuel rail?
Bruce R
Kevin's '79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin's '79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 3:31pm
Bruce,

I have a '97 Ski Nautique and I had a similar problem. Mine ran fine and then after turning it off for a while and then when I went to start it back up it would not run past idle speed and backfired when you gave it throttle as you indicated. What it turned out to be was a crack in the clear fuel line that is inside the FCC. When you take the FCC back off you will see the fuel line and I would bet you will find it has a crack in it which is not allowing it to pump at the right pressure. This line was later changed to a more durable one and it can be purchased from Discount Inboard Marine. Vince at Discount Inboard Marine diagnosed my problem and it turned out to be exactly what I have described above. Hope this helps. Kevin
Bruce R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2011 at 1:05pm
Kevin,

Thanks for the tip. I will look for that when I take the FCC apart and inspect. I will send an update afterwards.

Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce R
Bruce R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 1:04am
Kevin,

You were exactly right. I took apart the FCC and found a crack in the fuel line that connects to the high pressure fuel pump. After replacing the bad chunk of fuel line, the boat ran fine in the yard. As always, the true test is on the water. Thanks for the tip!

Bruce
Bruce R
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 10:02am
and you thought you learned things in the Penthouse forums...I'll put that one in the memory bank
"the things you own will start to own you"
Kevin's '79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin's '79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 3:18pm
Bruce,

I'm glad I could help. It appears that this is a common problem on '97s with GT40s and if not diagnosed correctly a person could spend a lot of money trying to fix it. Thanks to Vince at Discount Inboard Marine for diagnosing the problem when I had it since it is an inexpensive fix. I have offered this tip previously and it fixed the problem for another Correct Craft Fan member. Thanks to Keith for giving us the Forum to talk about our boats.

Kevin
phkemp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2012 at 10:41pm
Wow, this is exactly the the symptoms I'm having with my '96 GT40, which I have posted up on this forum. Kevin also responded to me. Now I've read your thread. I have ordered new spark plug wires AND that piece of hose, from skidim. But I'm going to go outside right now and take the FCC off and have a closer look. Your story is EXACTLY what mine is...hope I find the fix is the same...a $1 piece of new hose!
1997 Hydrodyne Grand Sport Elite
PCM GT40 5.8L EFI, 310 HP
Hybridized with Big Air Wake Tower and Bimini
phkemp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2012 at 11:15pm
WOW! Kevin, you da man. I was going to go to the auto parts store and invest $58 in a pressure gauge tonight to test the high pressure pump. That would have let to a low reading I bet, and then I would have ordered a $140 fuel pump. I just went outside and pulled the FCC again and removed the pump and hose. At first it looked ok, but then....I found a tiny crack, you almost have to squeeze the hose for it to open up to where you can see it. I was floored. Based on it being exactly your problem, and the other guy on this thread...I am optimistic! No just have to wait 3 days for my parts to get here! THANKS THANKS THANKS.
ricofrancois View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 4:44pm
Hi, anyone knows the part number for the hose to replace?
Ski Nautique 97 - GT40 EFI
ricofrancois View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 4:54pm
I think I found it http://www.nautiqueparts.com/internalfuelhoseforfcc.aspx

Ski Nautique 97 - GT40 EFI
phkemp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 5:01pm
If you call skidim they will know just what you are talking about when you ask them for the hose for the FCC. Their number for the part is RK045098. And it's all of a dollar, rather than the $4.25 they are charging at your link. That's a rip but then again $4.25 to get you boat running again is nothing.

Don't forget also to order a new filter and o-ring for the FCC, skidim part number is RP080026. 40 bucks.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by ricofrancois ricofrancois wrote:

I think I found it http://www.nautiqueparts.com/internalfuelhoseforfcc.aspx

For the convenience of all, here's a proper link.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
doc995 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 9:10pm
Hey all;

After reading through .. this really sounds like it could be my problem (see my recent post 'Won't plane .. starts fine')

Can anyone tell me... is there a 'FCC' (Fuel control cell?) on my '95 CC SN (GT-40) and if so .. does anyone have a photo to show where it is .. I'd sure like to open it up and have a look at the bit of clear tubing you're talking about ... was just about to order up a fuel pressure testing kit .. (but dismal prospects for repair since 1995 GT-40 2 stage fuel pump ($375) currently on back order until ???) .. but maybe it's the hose in the FCC?? (one can hope) (did read the posts .. so its the 'clear fuel line' that goes from the low pressure fuel pump to the high pressure fuel pump?) .. photo's would be very welcome.

thanks!
Matt
DMC '95 Nautique [D8]
phkemp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 9:26pm
The FCC is on the front of the engine, passenger side. Google "GT40 FCC" to see a pic.

Here are complete instructions I posted a couple years ago somewhere here.

The FCC and bowl is the black cylinder on the port (passenger) side of the engine (should be) on the front. Has hoses going in and out of the top. To check the suspect internal hose:

1. Drain gas (and separated water) from FCC bowl. Do this by removing the valve on the bottom of the cylinder, have a quart plastic bowl under it to catch the fuel (and water and probably some gunk) that will come out. Drain it completely. Replace the valve, using some gas-rated thread tape, and tighten firmly.

2. Unscrew the FCC bowl from the top part like you would an oil filter. I used an oil filter wrench that was a bit too loose of a fit, so I put a small wrench under the filter strap, which firmed it up so it wouldn't slip. Put filter wrench near top of cylinder. If you're lucky like I was, it'll unscrew fairly easily and you can remove it. If not...search this forum for "FCC removal" and you'll read of the different ways others got it loose if it was really stuck. It can really be tough to get loose it seems. Be careful not to damage it!

3. Once loosened, unscrew and remove FCC bowl; what you should see remaining is the high pressure fuel pump hanging from the suspect hose, and the power wires, with the fuel filter on the pump. OR the fuel filter might be stuck in the bottom of the FCC bowl. Remove the filter from the pump by sliding it off (or if it's in the bottom of the bowl, use some tools to get it pried out.)

4. Remove the fuel pump and hose, you will destroy the crimped clamps while doing so. That's OK.

5. Inspect the hose carefully. Squeeze it all around...you will see a little crack in the hose if it's damaged. Assuming it is.....(or even if not, replace it anyway)

6. Call Skidim and ask for a repair kit. It's a dollar. While you are at it, order a new fuel filter as well. The hose will come with new clamps and a new o-ring for the top of the FCC; there will also be one in the new filter, keep this as a spare.

7. Carefully remove the old o-ring from the top of the FCC where the bowl screws in. You need to look up from underneath to see it. DO NOT score or damage the top of the FCC while prying this o-ring out. Put the new o-ring in place, I used a bit of oil to lubricate it, just like you should with an oil filter.

8. Install the new hose on the fuel pump, then to the top of the FCC outlet, using the new crimp clamps. Reconnect the wires to the fuel pump.

9. Slide the new fuel filter onto the fuel pump until it's seated.

10. Feel with a finger to make sure the new o-ring is still in place at top of FCC. Slide the FCC bowl over the fuel pump/filter, and screw it back in. Lubricate the threads with some oil or grease first. Hand-tighten, then finish tightening with oil filter wrench. Don't overdo it!

11. Turn the key one click, and off again, repeating several times. You should hear the fuel pumps kick on for two seconds each time. After 3 or four times, the FCC bowl should have plenty of fuel in it again.

12. Making sure you have water supplied to the freshwater intake, start the engine and see how she runs. Hopefully, your problem is solved at this point.

Good luck.

doc995 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 9:39pm
Thank you
.. the pics on Google help a lot. I'll order up a repair kit with replacement filter as you recommend and have a go at it this weekend. .. Thank you!
DMC '95 Nautique [D8]
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 10:36pm
The 1995 GT 40 does not have the FCC, so don't think you will find the same issue if I have learned this correctly from reading the Poor Man's GT-40 Troubleshooting Guide and reading just about everything Lewy has to contribute.
doc995 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 10:40pm
Hmmm... You may be right. I was just looking on line atthe replacement hose (RK045098) and it says 1996-98. I'll go have a look at the motor,   Thanks.
DMC '95 Nautique [D8]
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 11:26pm
When you say won't plane what RPM is it getting to?
doc995 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 11:46pm
out of gear (in neutral) engine revs just fine to about 4500RPM and seems smooth.

in gear ... seems to 'choke out', pop and backfire as you roll the throttle on (as if you were going to pull a skier out) ... and it happens pretty much at any RPM as you 'hit it'.

If I tease the speed up I get to about 2000 RPM when it starts to misbehave, but I can usually get the boat speed up to about 25-28 MPH (about 2300-2400 RPM) .. just about, but not quite up on plane.

So could easily be the S L O W mode kicking in .. so I did pull all wires from any sensors I could find for oil pressure (2 wires) and water temp (2 wires) and took it out on the water .. no difference. Not convinced I actually 'disconnected' the sensors for the S L O W mechanism though so have been looking at pics online today and will revisit this. This is all a bit new to me not having tinkered with boats a lot .. but more than a little knowledge/experience with cars/motorcycles over the years .. just a lot of new terms here.

Also .. looking to see if there is any FCC on my boat (1995 Ski Nautique closed bow w/ GT-40).

Much obliged for any thoughts, recommendations you might have.

Matt
DMC '95 Nautique [D8]
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2016 at 1:02am
Is the Profile Ignition Pickup(PiP) sensor loose in the distributor? Does the PiP have any flakes of metal on it that could be interfering with the cylinder 1 detection? Do you have the bonnet on the distributor that prevents cross talk between the distributor and the Thick Film Ignition Module(TFI-IV)?

To check the fuel pressure simply put a fuel pressure gauge onto the schrader valve located on the bow section of the starboard side fuel rail.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 12:11am
Mathew, how long since you've done basic tuneup stuff, specifically spark plug wires, cap and rotor?

When an engine is under load, their is more resistance to spark in the combustion chamber, which will make the spark "look" harder for another way to ground besides through the spark plug. Definitely worth looking at your plug wires to make sure you're not getting any spark leak.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic