Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is tubing growing in popularity or is just me?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is tubing growing in popularity or is just me?
    Posted: August-09-2012 at 6:47pm
I'll tell you what- at our quiet lake in the northwoods tubing has just gone rampant. The tubes people are using these days are huge- like couches on the water or entire islands. The kids never fall off of them and thus the tube rides NEVER END. They just go on and on and on. All over the lake. I swear this has gotten worse even over the past 3 years.

There are multiple tournament inboards on the lake that do NOTHING other than TOW TUBES ALL DAY.

Back in the day when I tubed- pre-slalom-madness- the goal was to basically dismount the person on the tube. It was driver vs. tuber and your ride would end in a spectacular fashion every time. It was SUPER fun in that regard and I remember laughing my as$ off on the tube. You wouldn't last long.

These days it's huge tubes filled with kids who don't do anything other than sit there and enjoy the ride. I don't get it. The rub is that since the tube rides never end, the water is ruined for all other sports (although I bet the waverunners, which are also multiplying, love it). More and more people rotate onto the tubes from the dock and just go and go and go, never getting their hair wet. I've seen boats running tubes for 4+ hours a day- no joke.

The boats just burn gas and send rollers into the shoreline all day. I've thought about sending a letter to the association about this but I just don't see how it couldn't somehow backfire or sound crotchety. Our ski runs are 10 minutes per rider- up the lake, down the lake, done. We use the water for a slice of time, then let everyone else use it. Common courtesy.

Do parents these days just not even consider waterskiing for their kids? Anybody else seeing this "tubing revolution"?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 6:55pm
Agreed on pretty much every point.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 7:02pm
disgusting and my hatred of it has grown even faster
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Agreed on pretty much every point.

A second agree! Besides my pro tubing, the "sport" is foolish. Joel, go out to your neighbors and teach them how to ski!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 7:06pm
they ruined perfectly good water at salt fork this past weekend for most of the day...there were three separate times that I stood on the front of my boat screaming like a crazy person at a passing tube boat or jetski. I want to start carrying a beebee gun.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 7:07pm
I've posted this before, but worth posting again.

Tubing is lame

(disclaimer...in no way do I think tubing is as serious as cancer, but I do hate both)

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 7:08pm
then the jet skier who follows you around to see what you're doing.

get ***************ing lost
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 7:12pm
Is it not getting worse? Or is it just me? Tubes keep growing in size and the rides just seem to go on forever.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 7:15pm
It has gotten worse. We've definitely noticed, especially with inboards. I/O's have always been bad. It's part of the pussification of America, and the constant need for instant gratification. Lots of kids aren't encouraged to learn something difficult that may not happen in an afternoon.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 7:22pm
Contrary to Joel's story, I cannot seem to remember any spectacular tube rides. They are all a blur and were a complete waste of time. Never again.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 7:29pm

It has gotten worse. We've definitely noticed, especially with inboards. I/O's have always been bad. It's part of the pussification of America, and the constant need for instant gratification. Lots of kids aren't encouraged to learn something difficult that may not happen in an afternoon.

Bingo, could not be said any better than this.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 7:35pm
Yes, now the overpowered pontoon boats are doing it, carrying 12 aboard and everyone wants three turns.

And they don't yield for anyone !

Sombody with better photoshop skills graft a tube onto this please..

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 7:47pm
Tom,
I remember the early days of the pontoons with the big HP's. Man, they were bare footing behind them!! Yes, that is certainly better than pulling tubes!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 7:48pm

It's part of the pussification of America,

Yeah Cbass, AMEN to that. They go from laying on the couch playing video games to laying in a tube complaining about being bored.

Not a lot of motivation from the parents though, they are the ones putting the tubes in the water. The kids will usually gravitate to what activities the parents are doing so if Dad is pot bellied, beer drinking, stand up while you drive kinda guy the kids are a lost cause.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

if Dad is pot bellied, beer drinking, kinda guy the kids are a lost cause.

Hey I resemble that remark and my 5 year old skis and my 1 year old will be on the ski trainer next year. And neither one will ever be on a tube or play soccer.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 8:35pm
agree on all points...and it's actually worse up north than it is at my house. i think it has a lot to do with a change in the type of people that have an "up north" cabin...used to be hunters and outdoors DIY kind of people...people that had respect for the land and the lake...they bought the lake property because they loved being outside. they ski a little, fish, tube a little maybe, relax by the lake, build their own place, etc...good people...i call them "originals". i think this started to change about 10 or 15 years ago with the whole cheap loans and second mortgages and property value increase. the up north lake lots and cabin prices skyrocketed and the people buying them became clueless yuppy d-bags with no idea how to bait a hook or drive a boat. they bought pontoons with huge outboards because some d-bag salesman convinced them they could "do evertything". these people built huge houses with AC and dish network...sit inside all day except from 1-6PM when they TUBE *************** NONSTOP!!! I *************** HATE THESE PEOPLE!!!
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 8:36pm
I agree to everything that all y'all have said. YES the tubes are getting obnoxious and all that people want to do anymore. Allan is dead on. Kids are getting fat and lazy and it's up to parents to stay active in some cases.
The last two times I had taken teenagers out they wanted to tube. I first time I said I didn't have any but that I had kneeboards. They were bummed but after trying them out were glad I didn't have tubes. The 2nd pair tubed as I borrowed Nautiquehunters which I really did have to get sweet talked into but convinced them to try and kneeboard once we found good water and they loved it as well.

My daughter Sydney (who's 16) surprised the heck out of me by saying " Dad, next weekend we are at your house we need to get up at 6AM and come to the lake so we'll have good water to ski on! These tubers are ruining the water!" Music to my ears Gentlemen.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 8:47pm
I am pretty predjudiced on this one but when I see a tubing family this is what I vision,then I puke. Tell me that kid has a chance.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 8:54pm
I think dad needs a 'Bro' He's got some serious man boobs!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

I think dad needs a 'Bro' He's got some serious man boobs!

I'm having a hard time figuring out who is the "she" and "he"!!!

Yes, we see plenty of them in northern Wi.!1

Joel, I'm surprised you have a issue on your private little lake??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 9:11pm

I am pretty predjudiced on this one but when I see a tubing family this is what I vision,then I puke. Tell me that kid has a chance.

It's all McDonalds fault not theirs!!!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 11:00pm
I can see this thread exploding, like I wish all tubes would!!
The PWC's are right there on the aggravator meter followed by the surfers, then you get the over ballasted wb boats pulling a rider who cannot even do a wake to wake.

Tough situation because the tubers and big wave boats are creating a black eye for any towed watersport.

Tubing specific, this summer we had a moron on a PWC hit a tube while being pulled, unreal, one of the tubers was slightly injured.

Again this year, on the Chain of lakes near us (busiest waterway in Chicagoland) a parent took their kids tubing on Saturday late afternoon in what is virtually a highway of boat traffic, the 10yr old fell off the tube and was run over by a 29' Baja and killed. Unimaginable horror and beyond sad.

No doubt it is a problem, the scary part is if the solution compromises all of us responsible skiers.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 11:09pm
Nick,

Michigan has the most beautiful lakes in the Midwest hands down. We spent a week up in Glen Lake over the fourth, In the AM it was skiers only but once the lunch bell rang, omg tubers everywhere, majority being pulled by big dollar V-Drives with towers or brand new Cobalts, wtf?? No skiers anywhere. Craziest thing I saw was what appeared to be a Dad wakesurfing his kids on an i/o Cobalt, dangerous and lame all in one.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 11:37pm
I have to play the devils advocate here.
Whats the difference between a tuber getting pulled or these mammoth wave making wake boats. They both destroy any kind of ski able water or even boat able water.
If you ask me yes most tubers are dumba$$ boaters with no clue but these new wake boats are just as bad.
End of July we were in Deep Creek MD(tuber capital of the world) for the week and some of these wake boats about knocked us off our docks as they came by. MOST OF THEM PULLING TUBES with loaded up ballast WTF.
I just cringe when I think of those ugly a$$ G-25 barges hitting the lake.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:05am
Sounds like you need waterski ambassadors out there.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:15am
To me, it's the length of the run. 10 minutes doing my "Real sport" and I'm done. My boat goes on the lift and nobody else on the lake is affected for the rest of the day.

I've seen boats tube for over 4 hours nonstop on my little lake up north.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:26am

He's out of breath and hasn't completely beached himself yet.

I took my daughter to one of the local marinas Saturday to see how she liked the fit on the boots on a new pair of intermediate skis. The skis and wakeboards are in the back showroom. You find them after you walk past all the fn tubes, which you can see in the front of the store from the road.
The co-owner spent some time talking with my daughter about the progress of her skiing. In parting, she tells my daughter how happy she is that she's skiing because so few kids on the lake even try to learn anymore. She then says "hardly anyone even bothers to go in the back showroom anymore. They just come and buy tubes." It's not my place to tell her how to run her business and I'm sure the tubes are her money makers but I sure felt like saying "So put the fn tubes in the backroom and make them walk past the skis and boards."
Driving past the lake yersterday, I looked out to see a pontoon pulling kids on a tube, chasing a cuddy pulling kids on a tube, in a nice little circle. Quite the circus act.
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:41am
Yeah agreed on all points too.

Can't stand the way they drive with a tube on behind. Wild ass crap that should get you jailed for endangering your kids in such a way. The drivers are often way to focused on watching the tube than where the boat is pointed.

At least with surfers the boat is traveling slower and more often straight.

I found a tube floating on the lake last week. My boys were so excited to see the kabar come out of the glove box. So if you are missing your HO Spiral, is in the trash can at Marshall Park, west end of Lake Mendota.

If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:46am

What are they looking down at?
Leaning concrete? Grab handles that broke? Wondering if he'll make it?

If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:51am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I've seen boats tube for over 4 hours nonstop on my little lake up north.

Can you imagine the fuel bill for a day of this.

I will admit we surf but try to save that for after the water goes to crap and we can't do anyting else anyway. We're also on a river and know where the true skiers and boarders play so it's easier to stay out of their way. I think they call that courtesy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic