Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Points or Electronic ignition

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Points or Electronic ignition
    Posted: June-20-2012 at 1:04am
What are the pros and cons of switching from points to electronic on my 1974 Ski Nautique. Also, How hot is your ignition coil supposed to get? I can barily keep my fingers on mine for more than a few seconds. Is this normal?
74SkiNautique
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 1:30am
Originally posted by 74SkiNautique 74SkiNautique wrote:

What are the pros and cons of switching from points to electronic on my 1974 Ski Nautique. Also, How hot is your ignition coil supposed to get? I can barily keep my fingers on mine for more than a few seconds. Is this normal?

I've read some negative comments & I can't speak for the technical aspects, but i switched over to electronic ignition in my 75 Century and it's run well & reliably ever since.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 9:12am
Chris,
Was the coil changed out? Is the voltage going to it proper for the type? (internal or external resisted) It also should be epoxy and not oil filled sing they lay on their sides.

Point sets have been used since they got rid of the old "hit and miss" engines. That's lots of years!!! They work plain and simple. Conversions on the other hand always don't. There are several brands out there that reliability is a problem. If a conversion goes out on you in the middle of the lake, you had better have an extra on board. If a pont set gets bad, all you need is to clean up the contacts to get back home.

What is the problem with the engine or are you just wanting to go for some bling?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 5:20am
This coil says use external resister on the side of it. We havnt changed it since we bought the boat in 2004. It feels VERY hot, and it seems like it is oil filled because I can hear liquid in it. Anyway, the boat runs great when the points are cleaned and gapped properly. it seems about every 25 hours we have to re-clean and gap them because it gets a little hard to start when hot. If I switch to electronic, is it an upgrade or a downgrade. How long do you guys run before you have to clean your points?
74SkiNautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 8:58am

This coil says use external resister on the side of it. We havnt changed it since we bought the boat in 2004. It feels VERY hot, and it seems like it is oil filled because I can hear liquid in it. Anyway, the boat runs great when the points are cleaned and gapped properly. it seems about every 25 hours we have to re-clean and gap them because it gets a little hard to start when hot. If I switch to electronic, is it an upgrade or a downgrade. How long do you guys run before you have to clean your points?

Chris,
Check the voltage to the coil to make sure the ballast resistor is doing it's job.

You should not need to clean the point set every 25 hours. You may have a bad condenser.

I went over 20 years (over 420 hours) on my 312 without even opening up the distributor!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 9:19am
All condensers are not created equal,the condenser needs to match the points or the points will arc and burn.
A warm coil is normal HOT is not.

I've used Mallory E spark & DUI electronic ignitions both are good.

Get the points right and use the money to buy a prop.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

wingwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 11:24am
Throw the old points away and install new ones along with a new condensor. Once the coating burns off the points they are done, cleaning/filing will get you home but that's it. Be sure the new contacts are clean and oil free before and after install. Oily feeler gauges are points worst enemy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 2:43pm
ok. We installed a new cap, rotor, points, and condensor a few years back. We used Mallory, i tihnk it was $38 for the kit. also, we have already upgraded to a 4-blade OJ propeller. haha
74SkiNautique
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 3:05pm
I had a 1985 Ski Centurion with a PCM 351 and points. I converted to electronic (sorry, can't remember the brand) about four years into my 10 years with that boat before my Nautique, and I was very happy that I did. Not one problem; worked like a charm, and no more dealing with points and condenser. :) I'd do it all over again if I had a points engine.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2012 at 4:23am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Chris,
Check the voltage to the coil to make sure the ballast resistor is doing it's job.

You should not need to clean the point set every 25 hours. You may have a bad condenser.

I went over 20 years (over 420 hours) on my 312 without even opening up the distributor!!

We just installed a new resistor because that failed a weeks ago. If you clean the points correctly, and set the gap correctly, how long should they last before you have symptoms of dirty points?
74SkiNautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2012 at 4:30am
I have heard that do to the fact that no one uses points in the volume that there used to be, that the replacements are not up to the quality standards of old. If I needed some I'd check with Napa
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
wingwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2012 at 10:04am

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Chris,

We just installed a new resistor because that failed a weeks ago. If you clean the points correctly, and set the gap correctly, how long should they last before you have symptoms of dirty points?

Once you remove the platinum coating from the contacts either by filing or from use they are done, all the cleaning and new condensers in the world will not prevent them from burning again.

Years ago the contacts were solid platinum and they could be dressed with no problem.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2012 at 8:13pm
Ok. So I should just replace em all together, instead of keep cleaning them every 25 hours.
74SkiNautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic