NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2000 Sport Keypad help

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 6:53pm
I can send the keypad and PME (black plastic expensive thing) to Larry in FL and he can check both to see what the problem is.

Don't want to pick up a 360 dollar part if we really need the 1500 dollar part........ouch

Also, called whitelake and talked to a nice lady who had just got off the phone with a guy named Jimmy who was asking about the exact same part for his 2000 ski as I was! I need to contact that guy and see what his deal is. Jimmy, where are you?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

If you watch that video, the guy had already energized his dash, when he hit his backup starter button.

I wonder if that back-up starter button is as simple as
a constant hot (from battery etc.) > Horn type switch > to parallel wire to Starter relay/NSS

Brian,
I agree. Your wiring idea is logical.

Exactly. If his keypad was totally hosed all this setup would do is crank the starter- the engine would never fire and the rest of the dash would be inoperable as well.

I've often thought "Gee, what am I going to do when my 12-year-old keypad dies?". I'll probably just order a new one but it would be neat to figure out how to manually 1) wake up the rest of the dash/relay system for accessories and then 2)supply power to the engine computer/engine and 3) trigger the starter. #2 and #3 are probably simple to do but I bet #1 is not. I don't know how to tell the master module to just "wake up" without the keypad.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 7:07pm
Mike, how about Jody at Fla Inboards. Think he is probably busy this weekend, but could probably give you some insight first part of the week.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 9:37pm
Does it have a master kill switch on the gunnel like the '09? Could it be there? You did check the battery right?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 6:20pm
A mechanical backup to an electronic gizmo is ALWAYS a good idea. Number two after you sort out the keypad issue is the backup starter button!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 5:03pm
Big thanks to Larry Shea for checking out our start button keypad.

He reports that our Keypad works flawlessly. He says our PME must be toast. Looks like we're ordering one of those.

PME
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 6:52pm
Must be?

What other tests can be done to qualify the PME being bad other than trial and error? Not trying to stir the pot at all, but I'd want to see more evidence before purchasing something that costs up to a grand. Thought I'd ask for future members as I'm sure this will come up again.
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 7:32pm
Holy Moley! That's a little pricey.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 7:43pm
Hint! I do have two of them on the shelf used if you want to try before you buy!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 7:44pm
Jody, thanks a ton for the offer...

Don't they have to be "burnt" with the code for each specific boat?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 9:04pm
If Jody has 'em and they need to be flashed, I'm sure he can flash 'em!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 10:06pm
I'm sure glad I have key switches!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 12:36am
Good input Pete...new PME on order before Jody posted. Hopefully its the right fix.

Stupid technology. You'd be amazed how important that black box is.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 1:54pm

I'll take the keypad system over pushbreakers and bird's nests worth of wire and corroding connections any day! I know one day mine will bite me, but until then I'll truly enjoy it. Progress FTW. IMO the competition has still not figured out the push-button dash as well as CC did 12 years ago. The 2012 Malibus have me pulling my hair out.

The part is 600.00 and you MIGHT have to replace it in this case once every 12 years! Buy it and enjoy the boat for another 12 years. Or more. The summer is short and the boat/system is awesome. Rock n' roll. No regrets.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 1:58pm
Still cheaper than stringers.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 2:04pm
Got a PN discount on it too which saved about 70 bucks so that was nice.

I do enjoy the black box over the mess of wires that usually has to be re-done in your garage after 10 years. The 90 left us stranded one day due to crappy wiring to the ignition key a few years back.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 2:08pm
I would take the old style push-buttons, key and switches, with a neater/nicer install.

I don't understand why they used the whole "daisy chain" thing, instead of bus bars.

It would be interesting to see a pic of what the newer stuff looks like behind the dash.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 2:13pm
Should have taken pics of what the box looks like on the inside...basically open it up and it's a computer. Circuit board, breakers, soldering, etc etc

Here's the front and back of our keypad. Really can't do much testing. 10 buttons on the pad and 4 wires out the back. Hard to do diagnostics at home!

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I'll take the keypad system over pushbreakers and bird's nests worth of wire and corroding connections any day! I know one day mine will bite me, but until then I'll truly enjoy it. Progress FTW. IMO the competition has still not figured out the push-button dash as well as CC did 12 years ago. The 2012 Malibus have me pulling my hair out.

The part is 600.00 and you MIGHT have to replace it in this case once every 12 years! Buy it and enjoy the boat for another 12 years. Or more. The summer is short and the boat/system is awesome. Rock n' roll. No regrets.

Thats a great idea,what are you going to do when they quit making replacements,junk the boat?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 2:29pm
All you old dudes that don't like technology are being a little ironic posting on an online forum via computer aren't you? Or do you type on the typewriter and snail mail to Keith for him to post?

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Thats a great idea,what are you going to do when they quit making replacements,junk the boat?

I have the feeling we'll see some kind of wiring harness retro-fit kit, kind of like the Protec to traditional distributor retrofit kit.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 3:50pm
I run across old electronic controls and drives on a monthly basis. I'm lucky to have found a decent repair service. They will troubleshoot and repair any board.

BTW,
Gary has the typewriter plus, he also has a Dictaphone so when I need to send Keith a letter, I call Gary, record the message, he types it and mails it for me!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 3:52pm

I call Gary

On the telegraph?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

I call Gary

On the telegraph?

Mike,
No, I went pretty high tech. Gary being with AT&T for so many years did me a favor an wired me up. I still need to get him over and get the phone into the house. Climbing that pole is getting pretty old. Remember the old TV show Green Acres?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 4:57pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 5:13pm
You guy's are laughing now but just wait. I just went through this with my Dads Town Car. 2000 with 65K on it the whole electronic dash goes out,speedo fuel and temp still worked. He took it to get fixed at the dealer,no can do they don't make that part anymore.Drove him to Florida and on my way home the rest goes down.Just great now I was afraid to shut the car off because the security system is in it too.That did not happen and finally made it home. Finally found a place that would fix the assy after I removed it from car. You can't even go to a junk yard to get one because it's coded to the car it came from You can't even find out anything on the web,none of these old codgers use it or work on their car
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 5:17pm

I call Gary

On the telegraph?

We used to use smoke signals,but the epa got wise to us.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 11:34pm

Should have taken pics of what the box looks like on the inside...basically open it up and it's a computer. Circuit board, breakers, soldering, etc etc

Mike get some pictures of your old one interested to see what is in there. As Pete suggested they should be repairable by the right person.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 1:10am
Pic!

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 12:08pm
Dad got the new PME installed last night. Boat works like new now. He also said a bunch more lights light up on the dash on a start up and fade out on stop all cool-like. I bet our digital gauges that we thought were bad and replaced last spring would work like a champ again too. PME was our enemy all along!!!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic