NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 6:42pm
with the damage to the prop being so small could I not just bend the tip back over with an adjustable wrench? not beating on it just hook it over and bend it back. still want to get an acme 422 but with this transmission leak not found as of yet I'm just looking to save and get back on the water.
93 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 8:19pm
Ross,
The prop is not soft brass. It's Nibral and harder than you think. Try it if you want but I feel you will end up doing more damage. Sent it to a prop shop and have them do the job on it. Then you'll have a good spare prop for when you get the new one.

If the prop has been properly installed, you will need a puller to get it off.

When you get the new prop, there's a thread on how to lap it to the shaft. I'll see if I can find it for you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 8:24pm
Ross,
Here's the thread: proper prop installation

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 10:53pm
Thank God!!! I think I've found the problem... you guys are great. So I had time to dig around this evening and it looks like its the tranny fluid cooling lines leaking. Not sure if the hose is bad or if it just needs to be tightened up...does it have an o-ring inside the fitting? Anyway here is the pics of what I saw. You can see the outer cloth on the hose is wet with fluid, some under the wire for the temp sensor "i'm guessing that's what that is" and some in the threads were the hose connects to the cooler.
93 Sport Nautique
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 12:52am
Cool, hopefully that fixes it. When tightening up the lines on the cooler use two wrenches. The coolers are pretty thin using two wrenches will help to keep from cracking it. I would keep an eye on the tranny fluid sounds like someone changed fluid before selling. Not that thats a bad idea, but to be on the safe side I would keep an eye on it.
Mike
Lakedog55
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 1:13am
I think it's leaking at the end connected to the tranny and running down to the cooler before dripping down. Would that end be a double wrench job as well?
93 Sport Nautique
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 3:45am
Originally posted by Tiger76 Tiger76 wrote:

You can see the outer cloth on the hose is wet with fluid, some under the wire for the temp sensor "i'm guessing that's what that is" and some in the threads were the hose connects to the cooler.

That is not a temp sensor it is the Neutral Safety Switch NSS. Glad it was a simple fix for you.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 10:51am
I would pull the fitting out of the case & re-seal those threads, it looks to me that it is leaking there. Fluid usually doesn't run uphill. I had a similar leak, I think I used teflon tape, be careful not to let fragments of tape get inside the case.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 11:03am
Ross,
I go along with Chris's idea with the Teflon tape but just want to make one thing clear. The tape goes on the pipe treads of the flare adptor to the trans case. No tape on the actual flare fitting where the hose connects.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 11:06am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ross,
The prop is not soft brass. It's Nibral and harder than you think. Try it if you want but I feel you will end up doing more damage. Sent it to a prop shop and have them do the job on it. Then you'll have a good spare prop for when you get the new one.

Gotta disagree with you there, Pete.

The old school hand finished props perform pretty poorly on these larger ski boats, as compared to the new CNC wheels with big, accurate blades. Night and day performance difference... which is why that old prop, even in mint condition, is only worth around $100 (maybe less if its been repaired). He'd have more into it than its worth if he got it fixed. I suspect that a few minutes spent with a hammer and a file will get it back into very useable shape. Probably no perceptible performance difference either.

Id save the $100 repair costs and put it towards a new prop instead! Or, if you dont care enough about the boats performance to justify spending $350 on a new prop, put that repair money into the gas tank. Either way, its not worth investing a dime into a professional repair on that prop, IMHO.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 11:22am
Very good point Tim. Thanks

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 11:29am
I'm gonna try to address the hose issue this evening if time allows and might take a look at the prop some more.
93 Sport Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 11:52am
I dinged up my 540 last fall on a ramp lane curb about the same as yours and managed to straighten out the damage with a cresent wrench at Salty's house. I took time straightening it back to original form and used a straight edge to fine tune it, constantly measured and compared it to another blade. Was still concerned about performance and vibration issues until I took her out the next day to confirm that all was just fine.

I say straighten it yourself, save the money for a new prop and when time and money allows send your "spare" off to be checked out by the pros.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

No one adressed your speedo problem so first thing to do is check to make sure the pitots aren't clogged up. That's usually the culprit so I remove the rubber tubing from the top of the pick up (Pitot) use a syringe with rubber tubing filled with water connect it to the pitot and force the obstruction out. If you don't have the means to do this a small fish hook usually works to dig out the trash partially blocking the hole.

Just to add some visual to this as I had forgotten that I had these pictures saved for future reference and stumbled across them.

Syringe tool I keep in the boat for back flushing the pitot if I have one clogged while out in the water. Works 95% of the time unless I really have an obstruction in there. The other pic is where your obstruction will be if speedos are slow to respond.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 2:11pm
Tim, did that tubing come with the syringe? Did you buy the setup together?
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 4:22pm
Thanks for the pics. Gotta find some more time to work on it.
93 Sport Nautique
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 12:10am
Morfoot I worked on the speedo this evening and now I'm able to get water to come out of the tip on the end but very little is this correct or should it flow out?

Ordered my new fuel gauge and I also took two hammers and was able to straighten out the prop in about five minutes.

A buddy of mine is giving me a fake a lake tomorrow for free so I'll be letting you guys know if I got the tranny fixed.
93 Sport Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 12:29am
If you're using a syringe to back flush the pitot and you are getting dribbles then you've got blockage in there somewhere. Water should come flying out of there like a squirt gun. I've used a small fish hook to dig in the hole at the base or use a drill bit smaller than the hole and hand drill it till you free up the debris.

Brian, the tubing was actually laying round the shop for a couple of months as someone ordered the wrong stuff. We needed hard plastic tubing for a job not rubber so I found a use for it.

We use syringes all the time at work to inject resin into parts or for small applications where we use them like a baker would icicing to apply resin to small bushings or inserts where you don't want a huge mess or applying resin on parts similar to a caulk gun.
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 9:40pm
Used a small bit and hand drilled as you instructed and now water come out like a jet.

Was also wondering if you guys strap down the back of your boat to the trailer?
I have the wench strap and added a turn buckle to the front and have been running a ratchet strap across the back but was just wondering if the back strap is needed. The guy I bought from only ran the wench strap. Funny because my third trip the strap broke away from the hook while loading due to the age of the strap.
93 Sport Nautique
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2012 at 12:56am

I have the wench strap ....

Just for clarification:
Wench: Verb:to associate, especially habitually, with promiscuous women

Woah.
now a winch strap I understand , and I do use one on the front of the boat.   probably a part to be replaced every couple years so you don't run the risk of breakage.   Also probably good to carry a spare if you are using this as your primary method of holding the boat down.
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2012 at 1:19am
Haha go figure I'd spell something wrong, but that was a funny one to get wrong.

Now back on topic I'm using the winch strap. As well as two other means to keep the boat on the trailer. Is this just over kill.
93 Sport Nautique
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2012 at 10:10am
You shouldn't run the tranny when out of the water it's hard on the cutless bearing and the driveshaft seal.

As for launching...I launch in a river that has a pretty good current what I found helps is don't put your trailer so deep. Back in till the fenders are just above the water, that way they will help guide the boat off and on.
Once at night(in a hurry) I put it too deep and when I pulled it out the current had pushed it to one side of the trailer and it ended up on top of the edge of the fender and smashed the fender and took a chunk of gel out of the bottom edge of the boat. DON'T DO THAT!!!
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2012 at 4:50pm

Haha go figure I'd spell something wrong, but that was a funny one to get wrong.

Now back on topic I'm using the winch strap. As well as two other means to keep the boat on the trailer. Is this just over kill.

no, not overkill, I think you are on the right track wiht the winch, turn buckle and straps at the back, you should be good to go.
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 12:37am
Put my new winch strap on this evening and installed my new fuel guage that I ordered from nautiqueparts.com
Thanks for the sticker

I also fired up the boat on my new free fake a lake and let it warm up and run 5-10 minutes and didn't see any leaks from the tranny. Will check again in the morning, but all still looked good 1-2 hours after running.
93 Sport Nautique
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 12:10am
Well the tranny return hose looks to be leaking still. I can see 0/01/90 printed on the side of the hose. Do you guys think that the hose could have been made in 90? If so I'm gonna go ahead and replace both just to be safe.
93 Sport Nautique
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 1:53pm
Replaced tranny hoses and spark plugs this past saturday. Maybe I can put it in the water this weekend to give it another go.
93 Sport Nautique
defsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 10:29pm
I'm also a new owner. just bought a 1969 barracuda any important things I should know about this boat? my first boat I live in Maine cant wait to get it in the water!
1969 barracuda
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 11:51pm
Congrats on your boat. This is my first boat and I'm learning alot from all the great people on this site. The first time I put mine in the water I had to adjust he packing around the shaft because it was a pour not a drip every 7 seconds. Check for other leaks water, gas, oil and tranny fluid. Make sure prop spins freely by hand and prop shaft looks good and straight. Enjoy everyone checking out your toy...
93 Sport Nautique
defsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2012 at 12:31am
thanks. I'm having trouble trying to start a diary so i can get some pics of my boat up.every time I submit my info its saying there is some error on line 125.
1969 barracuda
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2012 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by defsc defsc wrote:

I'm also a new owner. just bought a 1969 barracuda any important things I should know about this boat? my first boat I live in Maine cant wait to get it in the water!

What part of Maine do you boat in?

As far as things to know...hmmm. Make sure you've got oil in the engine, fresh gas in your tank, a charged battery. Make sure that any parts of the cooling system that were taken apart for winterization are put back together.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic