Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Tower (Struggle)

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Daveinater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski Tower (Struggle)
    Posted: September-27-2010 at 4:21pm
oh man that is painful to look at. Maybe my gel coat problem isn't really that bad after all....
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2010 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Another genius with a home-installed tower on an otherwise beautiful classic. Did he really think it looked right mounted that far back????

whoops

A beautiful, unmolested, well cared for boat. Then he got a hold of it. The two things he did (radio and tower) look like crap. Someone should smack him.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2010 at 9:51am
Yikes! You really worked hard--it was worth it the boat looks great.
Tom
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2010 at 12:31am
One more thing I should have added....

Having watched the ND folks install the tower on the '92 Sport, I dont think I'd recommend doing it on your own. They said this boat was especially challenging. The front feet are actually CURVED to follow the shape of the hull behind the stainless bow rail and the windshield. That was really the only place they could put the feet. Accessing that area required cutting an access hole on both sides, in front of the windshield and behind the seat back cushions. Besides the hassle of all that, they had to do alot of digging out of foam and other fiberglass strands to allow enough room for the reinforcement metal plates under the feet.

Maybe it's just me...I know there are alot of talented folks on this forum but for us "hacks" who dont normally work with fiberglass, etc., I wouldnt recommend it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2010 at 12:23am
Hey Tom,

Actually, I got a pretty good deal from New Dimension because they hadn't had a pattern boat for the '89-'92 Sports. I live in the Atlanta area...ND is up in Maryville, TN so I trailered my boat there to have the tower built and installed. I absolutely love it. In fairness to Wayne and his great crew at New Dimension, I really dont want to advertise the price I paid, as it was a special deal for providing the pattern boat. Having said that, I would pay full price for one of these towers in a heartbeat (and was prepared to do so). The bimini top option is incredible. I believe it's an add'l $800 or so but when you look at the quality and engineering, I'd do that again too. LOTS of headroom underneath (I am 6'2" and stand underneath it).

I've gotten pretty familiar with Maryville, TN. After the first season on the water, I had my local marina in Wedowee, AL do some gel coat work on the bottom of the front hull section. After the next season, when I pulled the boat out of the water, the gel coat work had all bubbled. Naturally, I was horrified. I took it to the marina and they agreed "that aint right" so they re-did it. When I left the boat there, I put my cover on it (the shop was pretty dusty from the gravel road leading up to it). I had adapted the cover to include some metal buckles and rings to go around the tower legs, which still allowed for pulling the rope at the rear to tighten the cover. Well, unbeknownst to me, they trailered the boat to a local auto body shop and back to have the gel coat work done. When I came to pick the boat, I was horrified to see that the legs of the (beautiful) ND tower looked like they had been beaten on with a hammer....the powder coating was gone and there was dents everywhere. "WHAT HAPPENED??!!" They hadnt even noticed it (red flag alert!) Turned out the buckles and rings beat the snot out of the tower legs when they towed it back and forth. Initially they wanted to paint it ("Well make it look like new!") Uh, no. The best I could do was they agreed to pay for new tower legs but "we aren't going to remove and reinstall that tower!" So, off to Marville, TN I went....back to ND where they promptly removed the tower, disassembled it, installed new legs and reinstalled the tower (all in less than an hour---wow, they are good). They treated me great but I could have done without the 6 hour drive.

When I got it back to Wedowee, AL, I took it back to the shop to have the bubbles fixed. They did the job over again and I found bubbles they missed. (sheesh, third time's the charm???) After that, they actually removed the boat off of the trailer (I dont think they ever did that before) and sprayed the new gel coat on. It actually looked pretty good. My concern, however, was the small area that initially needed the repair had grown---and grown---and grown some more each time they fixed it and feathered it in.

Last weekend I pulled the boat out of the water. Yep, bubbled again (!!) This boat is always on an air dock lift. I put it on a lift between ski runs. We wipe the hull down after every trip out. This boat has been babied. It NEVER sits in the water other than when we're actively boating. This isnt a normal case of gel coat blisters from sitting in the water.

Our good friends Vince and Karen at Discount Inboard Marine have pointed me in the direction of a great boat re-builder who specializes in replacing stringers, floors, and gel coat work. It's time I take our poor boat to a professional and have this fixed once and for all. Where is he? MARYVILLE, TN.

*sigh* Maryville, here I come (again).

Do these things happen to just me????

--Dave

P.S. Interesting P.S. to the "we aint gonna remove and replace that tower!" Turn out this marina has purchased quite a few ND towers...just didn't want to fool with mine. Nice....
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2010 at 10:10pm
I do like that. How much was it complete?? (If you don't mind me asking) Did you install it yourself?
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2010 at 9:20pm
I researched all the towers for my 1992 Sport and wanted something with a good aerodynamic, but "classic" look. No matter what I found, I always came back to the New Dimensions tower. They don't "look universal" and the real "swoopy" (is that a word?) look just didnt seem to look right. It reminded me of people who put big spoilers on the back of Chevrolet Cavaliers. Yeah, spoilers look cool (sometimes) but sometimes you can try to look cool TOO HARD. Anyway, I went with the New Dimension and couldnt be happier. I get compliments all the time. I spent a few extra bucks and got their built-in bimini top, which fits "on" the tower and can easily be retracted and remains on the tower when folded.

bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2010 at 1:47am
Another genius with a home-installed tower on an otherwise beautiful classic. Did he really think it looked right mounted that far back????

whoops
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
wakeroper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeroper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2010 at 1:13am
YOU ARE A GENIOUS......or I'm a dumbass. Knocked the roller pins out and came right out with little fight. Thank you sir.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 9:24am
Are you sure you have the pins out? Did you use a punch and remove them? The pins are roll pins and are hollow. Take a close look.

The R&F can be stubborn. Get some decent penetrating oil on it like Kroil or a 50/50 mix of ATF and a solvent like acetone. Be patient and while pulling up like you are, start to see if you can twist the R&F in the pylon (careful - too much force and people have snapped the fingers off).

I'd say the shank of the R&F is about 5-6" long.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wakeroper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeroper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 10:26pm
I have an 84SN2001 I am trying to put a pylon on. For the life of me I can not get the finger out of the ski pole. There are no pins in the top holes a couple of inches below the ring. How long in the finger? is there pins anywhere else? I have the boat parked under a tree limb with a hoist pulling on the ring. Dont want to damage anything. Help.......
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 12:48am
My wife hates it when I hang up the towels like that!

Also sounds like I need a new moniker - it's a boat but also my toy.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 1:20pm
Besides getting the boards off the floor it doubles for drying laundry.

dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Sorry just cant help myself.
All tounge in Cheek!!!!

What he said. All in good fun, to each his own. What matters most is that you're teaching others to ski. Keep a goin'.

Doug
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

I see towers on old Nautiques and for some reason the SS Minnow keeps popping in my head then the Gilligans island song!! Oh no! not Again!!!
Cheers!!!

I know, I suck because I can not buy a new ski boat every year, sigh. I know, it's all about being with the "in crowd". I will just relegate myself to the loser column. Whatever, I gave my report and I am happy with the end result. I pretty much have rhino skin when it comes to veiled superiority complexes. Guys, They are only fv<king boats. They are not objects of worship and they are tools for family fun. If you become obsessed with them, they own you.

No! NO!!! You got me Wrong!!! I am kinda like Pete with the Tubing thing!
Mine is Monkey Bars on Boats. Shoot I was the first guy at Correct Craft to Ride Ski whatever you want to call it behind the patented tower that we designed I was test monkey!!. Your boat is a Cool looking boat It's me all the way! Just do not see the need for Roll bars on a boat in fact I was on the ground floor of the T-shirt if it was easy they would call it wakeboard! Sorry just cant help myself.
All tounge in Cheek!!!!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 12:53am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Kevin,
I've been really feeling my age lately and the tube pro circuit is really getting tough. Pretty soon I'll be in the seniors class. In the meantime, I'm really thinking I need a "crutch" to aid my tubing so I'm contemplating going with a set up like this on my Atom. Won't cost much as it's just some 2x2 carbon steel tube and I've got the MIG welder out in the shop. What do you think?

Honestly Pete. I think we should stick with the disc & stool. it's us, it's old school, if we want air we get taller stools. I'm talkin pure wood baby, no carbon fiber, maybe some nonskid or speedydry trown on the wet paint and of course with the invention of the router some beveled edge.

Maybe see you at the disc nationals in the grumpy ol men division.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 12:45am
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Originally posted by form&function form&function wrote:

If I could change anything on my boat it would be the tower and bimini.A smart man would have used the flight control.Other than that theres not really anything I would change on the boat.

I hope you have better luck than Ryan and others who have had the same thing

Ahhhh, Lake Altus (Oklahoma). I know it well. My first barefoot experience in 85'. Anyhow, nothing is irreversible. My boat is not pristine, was a salt water boat for a time, and it seems to just keep pulling really well. We put 75 hours on it this summer towing every kid in the neighborhood. We towed Cub Scouts, nieces, nephews and people who just came to our place and asked us to teach their kids. If the tower does not work out, I am out $621 (with a military discount) and I will have to fill 8 holes. I guess I do not know any better and this is high tech in my little world. I will probably change out the speakers and run the wires internally but I was in a rush to get it set up and running.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 11:56pm

If I could change anything on my boat it would be the tower and bimini.A smart man would have used the flight control.Other than that theres not really anything I would change on the boat.

I hope you have better luck than Ryan and others who have had the same thing
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 11:47pm

They are only fv<king boats. They are not objects of worship

Must disagree. Not only do I worship my boat, you oughta see my newly refurbished trailer. Just came in from the garage and having a beer with it (her). I've kept her home an extra week, just to spend more time with her.

Doug
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 11:43pm

OK heres the pic

Now THAT is a damn funny picture. Amazingly, they haven't figured out that you can use the tower to pull the skier as well. That dude's about to get a serious rope burn on his hands.

Doug
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 11:29pm
Ok, just kidding. Heres the pic.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 11:27pm
OK heres the pic
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 10:33pm

I see towers on old Nautiques and for some reason the SS Minnow keeps popping in my head then the Gilligans island song!! Oh no! not Again!!!
Cheers!!!

I know, I suck because I can not buy a new ski boat every year, sigh. I know, it's all about being with the "in crowd". I will just relegate myself to the loser column. Whatever, I gave my report and I am happy with the end result. I pretty much have rhino skin when it comes to veiled superiority complexes. Guys, They are only fv<king boats. They are not objects of worship and they are tools for family fun. If you become obsessed with them, they own you.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

Pete, Unless your loking for some serious air tubing, you should be fine without the tower, but for you I suggest the tower and flyhigh combo.

Kevin,
I've been really feeling my age lately and the tube pro circuit is really getting tough. Pretty soon I'll be in the seniors class. In the meantime, I'm really thinking I need a "crutch" to aid my tubing so I'm contemplating going with a set up like this on my Atom. Won't cost much as it's just some 2x2 carbon steel tube and I've got the MIG welder out in the shop. What do you think?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 7:52pm
I mounted mine next to the lawn chair I bolted to the ski platform.
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 7:43pm
Adding a trolling motor on the front of my 92' Ski Nautique.

Looking for expert advice on mounting....Off the front or just in front of the passenger side windshield?

Doug
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 7:30pm
Cheers!!!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 7:10pm
first, I have too agree with Hollywood, You can do flips & other tricks on a wakeboard with out a tower. Go to the wakeboardreport.com There is a video of Scott Byerly behind a outboard malibu, No ballast and std ski pole.

Second in the diaries section is a picture of my 87 2001 witha Joystick Pro tower. Realitively inexpensive (via ebay) relatively easy install and it was solid, folded fairly easily.

2001. com has a section with pictures of a lot of 2001's with just about everyones tower so you can see which you like the looks of.

For me, The Sky High is a slight pita but like the boom (also a slight pita) it's there when I need it. I am under a canopy on a boatlift and like the convienience of not having to cover my boat.

Pete, Unless your loking for some serious air tubing, you should be fine without the tower, but for you I suggest the tower and flyhigh combo.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 6:51pm
Ok, where are the pics?!?!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 6:36pm
Soooooooo, Here's an update. I did put the Big Air "H2O" tower on my 89 SN. I am very happy with it. The company was GREAT to work with. I did not like a machine burr on the inside of one of the connections, and they sent a new one out no questions asked. I also changed my mind about 2 of their tower racks, and they exchanged them with no problem. I am ordering their 3 color bimini top as we speak. It folds with the tower for storage. The tower itself looks good, does not make any noise, and flips down in minutes. Fixing the storage issue is almost the best part! I ended up with 2 racks that hold knee boards, wake surf and wake boards. I even was able to stick skis on top of a wake board when the wake board was placed in the knee board slot. I put on some speakers from "Boss" that were bigger than I thought they were, and I got screwed by BUY.com and thedeepdiscount.com on an amp and PA system to boost the sound. I will be fixing that for next season as well. The "air" was really good and my 360's improved immediately. I am now in the search for ballast for next season as we plan on adding wake surfing to our talents. Installation was not too tough and outside of errors I made, was not too frustrating. If you are in the market for a good tower that is about 1/3 the price of the stock towers, this is a good buy.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic