Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19140
Printed Date: April-29-2024 at 5:05am

Topic: Ski Tower (Struggle)
Posted By: Bama Nautique
Subject: Ski Tower (Struggle)
Date Posted: August-21-2010 at 1:40am
I have an 89 SN 2001 and just had it wet sanded and am waiting on a set of original decals to put back on it. I love the fact that my 89 will be completely restored to its original condition in just a few more weeks.

My son just learned to wakeboard and has taken to it very well. I purchased a used Skylon pylon for $50 and it has worked great for the few weeks that I have had it. The problem is that we dry dock and I have to put it on and take it off each time. Doesnt take too long but it is something that has to be done.

I am struggling with the idea of installing a ski tower on the 89 SN 2001. I love the look of the towers on the newer boats but am not sure I like the way they look on the older boats. I have found some at bigairwaketowers.com and am looking at the Vapor and the Ice towers. I know that I may get blasted for even considering putting a tower on an older boat and taking away from the classic Ski Nautique look. I just wanted to throw the idea out there and get everyones response on what they thought.

Thanks for your input.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5040 -
89 Ski Nautique 2001

89 Ski Nautique 2001

Replies:
Posted By: emccallum
Date Posted: August-21-2010 at 2:38am
that sure is a nice boat to be sticking a tower on! I vote for keeping the Skylon, and making your take it off each time, that may cure him of wakeboarding, and get him on the slalom!

Posted By: SN206
Date Posted: August-21-2010 at 2:42am
agree

-------------
...those who have fallen and those who will.

Posted By: TX Foilhead
Date Posted: August-21-2010 at 3:12am
I'm going to disagree with the no tower crowd, New Dimensions look just fine on those boats. I do question the time saving though because you will still have to put the tower down, and that may be a little more labor than removing the Skylon.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-21-2010 at 9:53am
No tower.
3 no.
1 yes.

Don (the no vote),
Why don't you have your boat in the diaries or at least a link or avitar? I have a feeling your boat is far from original. If that's the case, I feel your situation is certainly different than someone who has made a effort to and wants to keep his boat original. How about a link to some pictures?

Doug,
Yes, very nice. Keep up the good work.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: August-21-2010 at 11:18am
Hollywood doesnt need a tower (crutch) to flip........

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: August-21-2010 at 4:15pm
Pete, I'm really just too lazy to take some good shots. With the exception of the tower and some traction mat added to the gunwales, everything else is either original or can be retuned to original. Although I do like to upgrade things, I try to make it a point not to compromise the original look anymore than I already have, if it doesn't look like it came that way I won't do it. That being said there are some things that either weren't available (Perfect Pass) or weren't ordered (heater and depth/temp guage) that have been added to make her better for our use. In the end she is doing what she was designed to do, which is pull things around the lake, and we get quite a few people every year who can't believe she is almost 20 years old.

I've been working hard on the late summer detailing, so hopefully I'll get around to some pics before too long, they just don't look right sitting in the dark boat slip where she spends most of her time in the summer.

Date Posted: August-21-2010 at 4:34pm
Don,
Understood. Still, get some pictures and a diary entry!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: gn6027
Date Posted: August-21-2010 at 10:11pm
Doug,
   I put a FCT on my all original '87 back in 2005, and don't regret it at all. (Sorry Pete, I know you're cringing as you read this) I had a Fly High, but the tower is a great addition.

The FCT tower install was a little tricky, and I would do things a little different if I did it again.

The tower folds down in less than a minute; much quicker than with a pylon.

Be prepared to spend more than $50...

Just my $0.02...

By the way, nice looking boat!!

Glen

-------------
GN6027
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2562 - 1987 Ski Nautique 2001

Posted By: jbenbri
Date Posted: August-21-2010 at 11:05pm
If you go with the tower I'll be happy to give you the $50 for the pylon. I am trying to finish a stringer job on a 83 and am having the same debate myself. If I get a pylon for $50 the debate will be over. The pylon will win out for sure!

Posted By: TRIP
Date Posted: August-21-2010 at 11:09pm
I like original too, and couldn't put a tower on a Silver Nautique but I'd put a FCT2(/ND) on this. The only really good looking tower for a 2001 and as close to original as can be.

-------------
http://www.flyzone-cr.com" rel="nofollow - FlyZone Costa Rica Wakeboarding
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=8406&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 1997 Super Sport

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: August-22-2010 at 11:18am
BN - Also vote no on the tower!

We use a extended pylon. I tied the bow strap to the lift eye with an elastic strap & leave it in place, even for trailering. It takes like 1 minute to put up the pylon.   I would think that folding a tower up & down would be more work than that.

My .02

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: thatdude596
Date Posted: August-22-2010 at 11:38am
stay away from bigairwaketowers!!!!!!!!!!!! they almost tried ripping off a guy i know who lives in the village. he sent the money for the tower speakers lights racks etc, and almost didnt get any of it. he finally got the tower after 4 months, relentless calls threats and more threats contacting the police calling the local bbb etc etc. it was at the point this guy was gonna pay some people to go "check" this guy out. guy came up with every reason as to why it wasnt being shipped or made yet. it took another month to get the lights and racks. the guy who owns and operates is a real piece of work. if your looking into a tower go new dimensions or even monster for a budget priced solid tower.i think a tower looks good on any boat. the skylon is a pita!

Posted By: jbenbri
Date Posted: August-22-2010 at 3:47pm
I put a big air tower on a boat I use to own and had no problems.

Posted By: seacamper
Date Posted: August-22-2010 at 6:25pm
I just had a great experience with Big Air. I ordered the H2O with 2 racks and a bimini top. I still need to install it, but it came in 4 days, the company was great to work with, (I worked with Deeana) and they sent me extra pictures to help me measure and also sent me instructions via PDF. They also are "military friendly" so ask for their discount. Not sure what the story was on your buddy thatdude596, but my experience to date was excellent service.
As far as the vote to tower or not to tower, I obviously vote for the tower as I am about to put one on my 89 SN. I really do understand and even admire the purist view, but I based my decision on what the tower will do for my ski experience. The boats I have skiied in with towers are more organized. The racks hold the boards/skis, bimini top and keep your field of vision clear and everything off the deck. Speakers and lights just sweeten the pot. The penalty is 16 holes and possible spider cracks. Thats just me, and if these boats are tools for skiing/boarding/family fun, I think the penalty is worth the gain! Thats just my 2 cents.
Tom

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: August-22-2010 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by gn6027 gn6027 wrote:

The FCT tower install was a little tricky, and I would do things a little different if I did it again.

By the way, nice looking boat!!
Glen

If you say the install was a little tricky, knowing your skills and those of your helper (Dad) then I gotta guess it might just be a little tough for the rest of us.

"Nice looking boat"...you oughta know.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: Chopper
Date Posted: August-22-2010 at 11:11pm
I'm a fan of the tower over a high pole, but you have to choose the right tower, and you have to have the budget.

I put a "universal" type tower on my old 1989 when I "restored" it. I went the heavilly customized route though to suit wakeboarding. The universal tower was a real pain in the butt to fold down - too fiddly. I would do it again, but it would have to be a FCT 2 style like ND offer. Problem is that the universals are all much cheaper. Keep this in mind when looking at them. If possible, get the supplied to demonstrate the folding technique.

For $50 you have spent, I'd stick with that high pole for a while, and get some pole mounted racks. This would be much more cost effective than a tower, and you would still want the racks. As others ahve said, the pole only takes a minute to take down.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1540&sort=&pagenum=2&yrstart=1996&yrend=2000 - 98 Ski

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: August-23-2010 at 12:45am
No tuna tower!

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: akabulla
Date Posted: August-23-2010 at 1:34am
I have an older tuna tower and I think the lines look great compared to the line of the windshield although it is a real PITA to fold down. I have to use a hex wrench every time and it folds down into the middle of the boat and not over the bow!

I for one would not put one on an all original 2001 but my boat was brought back from the dead and not even close to original so I had NO problem slapping that puppy on mine!

I almost got a red 89 that had 120 original hours on it and would of used a pole instead of a tower but it is nice to have my mirror and boards all out of the way with the tower. I also have a mount I made to film the wake boarder which wouldn't have worked without the tower.

Good luck!

Date Posted: August-23-2010 at 2:01am
I think Joey makes a good point, if the boat is not stock and in good condition, then why not. I'm also a believer in thinking it through and making sure the tower and the lines of the boat work. My tower hung from a tree over my boat for 3 days and my wife and I moved it around and looked at it and thought about it until it was right. I knew that I didn't want a ND tower, had to have something that could stand up to the foils, and would have had it made custom if that's what it took to get the lines I wanted.

Doug, don't pull any direction but up on the lifting ring, the earlier comment about using a bungee on the ring to hold the bow sling in place was a good idea.

Posted By: form&function
Date Posted: August-23-2010 at 2:14am
Just for the record the 89 2001 is not classic or antique.If it wasn't for the wakeboard croud it might have gone down in history as the worst ski boat ever made so I say put whatever the hell you want on it.
fyi,the big air products are a joke.

Posted By: 98motorsport3
Date Posted: August-23-2010 at 2:59am
Originally posted by form&function form&function wrote:

Just for the record the 89 2001 is not classic or antique.If it wasn't for the wakeboard croud it might have gone down in history as the worst ski boat ever made so I say put whatever the hell you want on it.

I totally agree. I always thought some people on here were a little wacky when it comes to these boats. Maybe it's just me, but I would have no problem slapping a tower on a 100 hour silver nautique. It's a boat and not a rare one. But they are freaking awesome!

Posted By: 83ski2001
Date Posted: August-23-2010 at 3:32am
if someone was putting a tower on an old wood boat that would be one thing...but the 2001s are a dime a dozen...

Posted By: MI-nick
Date Posted: August-23-2010 at 3:27pm
if your son is serious about wakeboarding, the tower would be a good investment...better pull, better visibility (no cable), better interior room (board racks, no cable), and you don't have to put it up/take it down. i think it will have zero effect on resale and may even increase resale as the 2001 makes such an excellent wake boat. it does take away from the "classic" look...but, what is your boat supposed to do?? look good or work good??

-------------
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...

Posted By: anthonylizardi
Date Posted: August-23-2010 at 6:19pm
My friend has a Big Air on his and at first I though that for the price is great. Now that I have FCT2 on my boat and the difference is amazing. The FCT2 is so solid, no anoying noises, and folds in minutes. Also, I like the look even though the purist thinks the opposite. I really like how much space I have gained.

Date Posted: August-24-2010 at 7:40pm

WOW! Can you qualify that statement? The 2001 got great reviews in comparison testing,
http://books.google.com/books?id=euMDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA86&lpg=PA86&dq=American+Skier+Advance&source=bl&ots=qTXrClWdNv&sig=lAMr1pMyTNRgPBvzcyceGmMDysg&hl=en&ei=NyN8S57_O4z-Ncr9xbwF&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CAgQ6AEwATg8#v=onepage&q=American%20Skier%20Advance&f=false
so I guess all the boats it beat are worse than it! The 1989 was the first year they used the reduction gear (powerplus) transmission for more out of the hole power. This was the first year of the silent muffler as well. 1989 was also the first year that Correct Craft used AME epoxy resin instead of polyester resin that all other boat companies are still using. AME 4000 at half the weight of polyester and is more than twice as strong. This is huge in being able to handle multi-directional stress. It also helped with the stringer problems the earlier 2001 series were plauged with. It happens to be classic to the 2001 enthusiasts who have their own website.
http://www.the2001.com/
I'm just saying..............

-------------
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft

Date Posted: August-24-2010 at 8:31pm
As a side note, I am one of the wakeboard folks who sought out this hull specifically for the accidentally great wakeboarding wake it produces. I really could not care less about the great minimal slalom wake it produces at slalom speed. I do appreciate the improvement for slaloming over my other boats (an outboard and a Yamaha jet boat) I bought it for the wake hence the wake tower. I sort of agree with you form and function,on the fact that this boat is not a collectors classic like the early boats, but you pretty much came off as arrogant and abrasive and condesending towards these boats. What boat do you have? I looked at your profile and noticed an absence. For the nay sayers on the Big Air product, I will admit that at 2 to 3 times the price, you can get a better product. If I had $50,000 to blow, I could get the ski boat of my dreams. For a family trying its best to provide a good ski experience for its kids (10 and 8), I am pretty sure an 89 SN with a Big Air tower is going to get them by for quite a few years, and if they advance I can replace towers, and the old one will be retired. By then I will be ready for a new motor that will talk to a new Zero Off system. If they do not advance and grow bored with skiing, my wife and I will just have to make do with an old boat and an old tower.

-------------
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft

Date Posted: August-24-2010 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by MI-nick MI-nick wrote:

if your son is serious about wakeboarding, the tower would be a good investment...better pull, better visibility (no cable), better interior room (board racks, no cable), and you don't have to put it up/take it down. i think it will have zero effect on resale and may even increase resale as the 2001 makes such an excellent wake boat. it does take away from the "classic" look...but, what is your boat supposed to do?? look good or work good??

BINGO

-------------
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft

Posted By: anthonylizardi
Date Posted: August-24-2010 at 8:44pm
If you are set on the Big Air is your call. Have you look at Monster? The only reason I mention this is because of what I have seen in the big air, the rattling make me crazy. Is your call. I bet it would work fine.

Posted By: NAUTI84
Date Posted: August-24-2010 at 9:04pm

2001's might not be classics or antiques (yet). But most Harleys and Vettes aren't either.
In all cases, there are those done right, and many done very very wrong!

When it comes to the tower, tough decision -
If your family is into it and that'll give you the most use, slap it on and run it into the ground (water)!
These tug boats were made to be used.
I almost put a Monster on mine. Now glad I didn't though, because it turned out that my girls weren't that into it and my sking buddies got too old!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=421&yrstart=1981&yrend=1985 - EX-NAUTI84

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: August-24-2010 at 10:03pm
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15448&title=2001v-drive - Form and Function's V drive

Seacamper - Take a look at this thread.... F&F is well versed in the 2001, and put together a beautiful, well thought out project.   He explains a lot of his desicions on how he decided on some of the parts he chose... He probably took a lot of flack for not being true to the original, but did come out with a very nice user friendly boat.

Date Posted: August-24-2010 at 10:26pm
EDIT.....Wrong discussion doh!

Date Posted: August-24-2010 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15448&title=2001v-drive - Form and Function's V drive

Seacamper - Take a look at this thread.... F&F is well versed in the 2001, and put together a beautiful, well thought out project.   He explains a lot of his desicions on how he decided on some of the parts he chose... He probably took a lot of flack for not being true to the original, but did come out with a very nice user friendly boat.

WOW! Thats quite a mod! A tip of the hat to F&F on that. I could have missed the "tone" of his reply so if I did, F&F, my apologies.

-------------
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 12:34am
Originally posted by akabulla akabulla wrote:

I also have a mount I made to film the wake boarder which wouldn't have worked without the tower.

Good luck!

Not true. Ski Pro Accessories has been making the pylon mount Trakker since 1990. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: WakeSlayer
Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:15am
I see both sides. I had a tower on my 92BFN, and would not change that one bit. I would definitely not waste the money doing it to my 90SN. I also would not put one on a pre-82 CC.
The 89 is largely sought after because of the unique boarding wake it throws. If the boat is perfect or near so, I would not install one, but really, if that is your boarding boat, and you are not planning on getting a V-drive (or making one, in Ryan's case ) do what you want, it is your boat.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 10:57am
Guys - I have an '89 & didn't know the wake was unique.   I thought it was the same hull as the earlier 2001's. Was there a change in '89 from previous years to the hull shape?

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 11:27am
No. I think there was thread creep. I think what people are saying is the 2001 series got a reputation among wakeboarders because of its deeper v. At slolom speeds, the boat had a great rep because of its ability to produce a minimal wake in most conditions but it was beat by other boats on glass. It was designed as a 3 event boat and CC chose a deeper V to field more lake conditions. The deeper V ended up giving a nice wake by mistake for the up and coming wake board craze. When wake boats started being made, many noted the 2001 series already threw a great wake and with sacks, was outstanding.

-------------
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Ski Pro Accessories has been making the pylon mount Trakker since 1990. BKH

Some of the reasoning in here is crap.

You can put your mirror on the windshield frame. The tower will still need to be folded down. On a closed bow boat, a tower just doesn't make sense to me. If skiing off the short pylon is too hard try tubing.

-------------

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 12:51pm
This sure is a bare knuckle forum!

-------------
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Some of the reasoning in here is crap.
You can put your mirror on the windshield frame. The tower will still need to be folded down. On a closed bow boat, a tower just doesn't make sense to me. If skiing off the short pylon is too hard try tubing.

We aren't talking about only skiing. We are talking about wakeboarding. Have you tried wakeboarding off a short ski pole?

It isn't crap reasoning. My mirror is a good foot off the top of my windshield. I had it on my windshield and I hated it because it really blocks your view when sitting high on the chair and looking over the windshield.

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:19pm
Look through the windshield, that's why it's clear glass. If you know what you're doing you can perform all the same tricks from any pull height. I do put up the Skylon if I'm struggling with something new.

-------------

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

If you know what you're doing you can perform all the same tricks from any pull height.

I don't know Kev, I've been thinking about a tower or a extended pylon to help me out with my tubing. I need a "crutch"!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:27pm
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not true! When you do tricks that require you to keep tension on the rope it will pull you out of the sky and back to the water much faster when the tow point is lower.

I have wakeboarded on a low tow point and it was terrible!

Your funny Pete :)

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:31pm
Why not both?!

-------------

Posted By: mdvalant
Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:33pm
If you want to be a stand out wakeboarder, why jeopardize your possible career/tournament status by skiing on a short pole?

If you want to compete with the big dogs, you have to give yourself a chance. They use nitrous, now you have to. That sorta thing.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5009 - '90 Ski (sold)
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5479 - '00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:36pm

keep tension on the rope it will pull you

Sounds like plenty of tension, what's the problem?

out of the sky and back to the water much faster when the tow point is lower.

Defintely truth in that so you better be smooth if you want to make it!

So you're saying you can't do anything on wakeboard w/o a tower pull? If everyone is doing a 360 on a high pull and you can do it off the low, that tiny extra air from the high pull might net you a 540. Now YOU win! Challenge yourself and you'll progress much quicker.

-------------

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:42pm
If you think you are in need of a tower to pull off a certain trick think again and read this page if you have not already seen it.

http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archives/2008/02/exclusive_footage_of_a_young_s.html - No crutch

Most people want to say a tower will help them throw their first invert or make them a better boarder. Yes, there are advantages to a tower. Reality is, they need to work on their technique and timing instead.

I love when all the kids on our lake with $70K Xstars come out on saturdays and try inverts when they cant do the basics. I wonder why they all get pissed and cus at my buddies when we roll by in our SN (no extended pylon) and throw inverts on a trick ski! A tower DOESN'T make you a great wakeboarder!

-------------

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:45pm
Thats so true. My 10 and 8 year olds suck! What pussies! Really, what was I thinking? In the few times that we make it out skiing, I need to keep pushing them to excell! Screw that wake board tower! They are going to drop and give me 20 every time they FAIL to excel verses just having a hoot of a time! If they still can't progress, I think its time for a blanket party! The truth? They can't handle the truth!

-------------
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:47pm
You're right Chris, It doesn't. But, it can make a great wakeboarder better.

I've never skied off a tower, always on a standard '90 pylon. I am skilled in rallies, Scarecrows, Backrolls, Tantrums, Handlepass 3's, etc etc...

But, I do agree with most of you on the fact that the closed bow boats don't look right with the towers. 206 or bigger for me... JMHO

-------------

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

I love when all the kids on our lake with $70K Xstars come out on saturdays and try inverts when they cant do the basics.

Hey at least they are doing something, most of those boats around here are pulling double tubers...off the tower!

-------------

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:53pm

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not true! When you do tricks that require you to keep tension on the rope it will pull you out of the sky and back to the water much faster when the tow point is lower.

I have wakeboarded on a low tow point and it was terrible!

Your funny Pete :)

Akabulla, on this you are just wrong. I've posted before a video of Scott Byerly doing tricks that most will never touch behind a barefoot malibu outboard on a low pole. Shapiro and Parks did the same behind ski boats with low pylons, for a long time. I've pulled local riders doing tricks off the low pole that few will ever pull off.

It's about the skill of the rider. It has little to do with the height of the tow point.

There are a limited number of tricks for which the rider needs to get great height to pull off the trick. Examples include the speedball and the 1080. There are probably less than 200 people in the world that can do these types of tricks.

A high tow point does present certain advantages, but to say that it is required is just not correct.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:07pm
Before I bought my 2001 I owned a Fish-n-Ski and wakeboarded behind it with a just a ski pole for bass boats. Trimmed up the motor and filled the live wells and I was throwing Tantrums, backrolls, front flips and I was in my early 30's doing it. YES, I had to work hard at learning tricks but I know it made me a better boarder. I'll agree that from a Skylon or tower it is easier but not necessary.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:10pm
I never said it was required. All I said is you will stay in the sky longer with a higher tow point which I still stand by.

I have seen the videos you posted with Scott and they are very impressive.

It is a wonder we even have Super Air Nautiques with Towers when we would be just as well off with a POS outboard and wakeboard just as good!

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:12pm
Forget the fish-n-ski. I got a 16ft flat bottom with a 30hp johnson that I do all my moves off of.

Put 2 anchors in the back and 6 gallons of gas..shooooo.

-------------

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Forget the fish-n-ski. I got a 16ft flat bottom with a 30hp johnson that I do all my moves off of.

Put 2 anchors in the back and 6 gallons of gas..shooooo.

Now we're talking! Let me know if you ever put that puppy on Craigslist.

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:24pm
Very interesting thread. From what I see, most of the 50K plus wakeboarding boats I see are just cruising around blasting music, with wakeboards still on the racks! Most of them cant ski, so they tube or wakeboard! Around here, wakeboarding is more image,than talent. I usually tell the kids to try something that takes effort....skiing. Or as my T-shirt says "If it was easy, they would call it wakeboarding"

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:26pm
haha funny part is, in HS I did rig up a little quick clip system to be able to pull skiers behind it......

put many hours on it when I didn't feel like taking care of a boat all day like we do the ski :) lol

It's more like a hunt/fish/ski boat. I learned to barefoot behind it when I was about 8.

-------------

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:34pm

I never said it was required. All I said is you will stay in the sky longer with a higher tow point which I still stand by.

I have seen the videos you posted with Scott and they are very impressive.

It is a wonder we even have Super Air Nautiques with Towers when we would be just as well off with a POS outboard and wakeboard just as good!

All we are saying is you should not justify needing a tower to pull off the tricks. Yes, a high tow point might get you another .002 seconds in the air if you are just learning, but it will not make drastic improvement in your riding unless you are elite.

If you have a nicely preserved 2001 it's not worth destroying with a tower in my opinion.

-------------

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:45pm
You guys are missing the point, a tower is really a coat rack for your boat. I now I would have many stiches and some really bad looking upholstery if we tried to cram 4 or 5 foils in the boat. With everything off the floor it also make getting to the cooler easier.

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

You guys are missing the point, a tower is really a coat rack for your boat. I now I would have many stiches and some really bad looking upholstery if we tried to cram 4 or 5 foils in the boat. With everything off the floor it also make getting to the cooler easier.

I can understand that, at the same time if they are just skiing ad boarding then the bow storage is a nice place for all the gear. We had plenty of space in our 88 for 2 boards and 2 slaloms along with a few skiers, vests, towels and more importantly...the cooler!

PS- Don, thought you might want to see this http://nautiqueparts.com/nautiqueexceldecal.aspx - link , saw in another thread you were looking for original decals to have as replacements.

-------------

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:52pm
i can do 3's, and 5's behind my in laws 16' bass boat...but it's WAY easier behind an inboard...and even easier behind my 2001 with a tower?? what's the point here?? tower DOES make wakeboarding better but it is not required, nor is it a substitute for poor technique...what is the point here??

-------------

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 3:01pm
The point is you don't need a tower to ride a wakeboard.

-------------

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 3:04pm
and you don't need an inboard to ski...but, if you are a serious wakeboarder or skier, what is better to have??

-------------

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

Very interesting thread. From what I see, most of the 50K plus wakeboarding boats I see are just cruising around blasting music, with wakeboards still on the racks! Most of them cant ski, so they tube or wakeboard! Around here, wakeboarding is more image,than talent. I usually tell the kids to try something that takes effort....skiing. Or as my T-shirt says "If it was easy, they would call it wakeboarding"

I would argue that wake surfing is even more about image than talent.

I think it is very hard to get really good at wake board, skiing,or surfing. They are different, but all very difficult to get really good. But people don't want hard challenges, they want easy.

For many people its tough just to get up on a water ski. Wake boarding is easier and most people will get up on the first day. Surfing is even easier and most people can throw the handle (with the right wake) on the first day. Not surprising surfing is taking off in popularity, just wake boarding did when it came along (poor water conditions have something to do with it as well, but again, that all comes back to what is easy. It's not easy to get up at 5 am for good water). Of course tubing is even easier, and sitting in the boat with a beer and loud music perhaps the easiest.

I don't have a problem with 70 or 100K boats. It's their money, do what they want. I do have a problem when the same people can't afford a house, have to sell the boat the first month they are out of work, etc. Again, not my problem, but it disturbs me.

What does bother me is the lack of common sense, courtesy, and safety which seems prevalent regardless of the price of the boat.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: Tom351
Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 4:19pm

I don't think the 80's SN2001 are classics and need to be protected from modification, but I also don't think it is a contender for "worst ski boat ever made". My impression has always been that they were the best available ski boat in the 1980s. Can you please explain why you think it is "worst ever"?

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 5:27pm
I also disagree with worst ski boat in history. I wouldn't trade an 88 2001 for and 88MC ever. Sure, the wake is a little smaller but the 3 event wake is much better along with tracking, ride, and comfort are far superior. 2001's were revolutionary in their day.

-------------

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 5:31pm
Yea I agree Chris, my buddy has an 89 mastercraft tristar. Good god that thing is incredibly annoying to drive compared to our buddy's old 89 Nautique. Steers hard, bows up like an I/O, banks hard on the turns, no hole shot, can't see out the windshield, can't fit in the seat (I'm not a huge guy) cockpit is all jammed up on top of you, I could go on forever lol

The Nautique's were the Cadillacs, they still are, they always will be.

-------------

Posted By: WakeSlayer
Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 6:37pm
I learned half my kneeboard inverts behind an 18ft Baja outboard. The other half behind an 89SN, and my lightly weighted 90SN. No tower, no skylon.    i did get a skylon after a while, but do not attribute any skills I had to that nor a tower.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Yea Chris, my buddy has an incredibly hard, hard on, no hole, can't fit in (I'm not a huge guy) all jammed up on you, forever lol

They still are, they always will be.

-------------

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 6:41pm
How long did it take you to copy/paste that Mollywood?

-------------

Date Posted: August-25-2010 at 10:42pm
classic hollywood

-------------

Posted By: Bama Nautique
Date Posted: August-26-2010 at 4:03am
OP here. Wow, what a thread. Thanks to all that took time to respond. Some great advise on some post and others just plain junk. I asked for opinions and that is what I got. Thanks again to all that took the time.

I realize that the 89 SN may not be a classic in some opinions but as far as the look of the older boats I will consider it a classic and I guess thats what counts. It is still almost in showroom condition as far as the interior goes. With the wet sanding and new decals it will once again look brand new. The original question wasnt if he needed it or not to wakeboard but if it looked right and what peoples opinion was. He can do just fine with the short pylon but I was going to use the tower in place of my extended pylon in order to free up floor space by attaching wakeboards to it and possibly one day adding a radio to the boat and using it to attach speakers.

I learned to ski behind a chapparel and was pleasantly surprised by the 89 SN wake when we got it as by this time I was slaloming pretty regular and actually to the point of competiting some. I also liked it for the kneeboard wake as it was large enough at those speeds to do flips off of. And at faster speeds I could cross the wake barefooting. Anyway, to make a long story short I was extremely happy with the performance of the boat and I am still happy to this day, even with all of the new bigger Nautiques out there.

My original question was as to the looks of booms on the older SN and my struggle with adding one to it. I love the looks of the towers on the newer boats but just wasnt sure I liked them on the older boats. I am going to just stick with the extended pylon and stay away from the tower. I know that the boat is meant to be used and that is exactly what we are doing. We will continue to do it also, however we will do it with a pylon and no tower.

Gonna keep it original. Thanks to all that took time to reply.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5040 -
89 Ski Nautique 2001

89 Ski Nautique 2001

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: August-26-2010 at 4:27am
Doug I too thought of adding a tower to my 89 SN2001. I did have a 87 that had a monster tower and I thought lowering it was no easier than removing the high pole. The other reason for the tower was storage. I have found with board racks on the high pole and racks on top of the bimini I can free up plenty of room in the boat.
The right tower can look OK on these boats but it is all personal taste. It is your boat you can do what ever suits you. If you hang around here long enough the keep it original code seems to just become natural after a while.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Date Posted: August-26-2010 at 11:48am
when you get tired of dealing with the skylon and tripping over boards on your floor go with a custom tower like mine or one from these guys
http://www.newdimensiontowers.com/galleries/nautique/1973-1981_Ski.html - new dimensions tower

-------------

Date Posted: August-26-2010 at 12:03pm
I feel this is a good decision. Enjoy that beauty, there are not too many out there in superior condition.

-------------

Date Posted: August-26-2010 at 12:09pm
i just checked the photo in your diary...i change my opinion...keep the '89 the way it is and get a beat up '82 and put a tower on it for the kids...

-------------

Posted By: NAUTI84
Date Posted: August-26-2010 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Bama Nautique Bama Nautique wrote:

I am going to just stick with the extended pylon and stay away from the tower. I know that the boat is meant to be used and that is exactly what we are doing. We will continue to do it also, however we will do it with a pylon and no tower.

Gonna keep it original. Thanks to all that took time to reply.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=421&yrstart=1981&yrend=1985 - EX-NAUTI84

Posted By: BobsChopShop
Date Posted: September-07-2010 at 12:59am
MI-nick nice tower! I bought a '78 5 years ago {2:00 am on ebay} I have a friend that has a 79 SN that has been wiped down everyday, and looks like it did 30 years ago, i would slap him if he started cutting holes for a tower... Mine on the other hand, had no pylon when I bought it, had more rot than fiberglass, now has a cut down pylon out of a tige'. and a custom tower on the way, when you buy a boat for $1225 bucks, it doesn't mean a lot, I have had the privilage of using 2008 206's on the ski team. a late 70's early 80's nautique is hands down better for wakeboard and barefoot, and + tower, a great combo.

-------------
Overbuild it and they will come.

Posted By: FUN-9C1
Date Posted: September-07-2010 at 4:24pm

Wow... worst ski boat ever made? That's a pretty bold statement. Sure are alot of them around considering what poor quality they must be to be the worst ski boat ever made!

All cars and boats were at one time not antiques or classics, but I'm glad that there are those that made it all the way to antiquity unmolested. I tend to think of my cars and boats and future antiques and tend to treat them as though they are already antiques. I don't think I would have the stomach to drill holes for a wakeboard tower in my own boat, plus I don't like the looks of them, but if it gives you and your family more enjoyment together, go for it.

I just about cried when I drilled holes for the bimini, but now I'm glad I did it, we use it pretty often.

-------------
'86 2001
'50 Century Imperial Sportsman

Date Posted: September-21-2010 at 6:36pm
Soooooooo, Here's an update. I did put the Big Air "H2O" tower on my 89 SN. I am very happy with it. The company was GREAT to work with. I did not like a machine burr on the inside of one of the connections, and they sent a new one out no questions asked. I also changed my mind about 2 of their tower racks, and they exchanged them with no problem. I am ordering their 3 color bimini top as we speak. It folds with the tower for storage. The tower itself looks good, does not make any noise, and flips down in minutes. Fixing the storage issue is almost the best part! I ended up with 2 racks that hold knee boards, wake surf and wake boards. I even was able to stick skis on top of a wake board when the wake board was placed in the knee board slot. I put on some speakers from "Boss" that were bigger than I thought they were, and I got screwed by BUY.com and thedeepdiscount.com on an amp and PA system to boost the sound. I will be fixing that for next season as well. The "air" was really good and my 360's improved immediately. I am now in the search for ballast for next season as we plan on adding wake surfing to our talents. Installation was not too tough and outside of errors I made, was not too frustrating. If you are in the market for a good tower that is about 1/3 the price of the stock towers, this is a good buy.
Tom

-------------
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft

Date Posted: September-21-2010 at 6:51pm
Ok, where are the pics?!?!

-------------

Posted By: harddock
Date Posted: September-21-2010 at 7:10pm
first, I have too agree with Hollywood, You can do flips & other tricks on a wakeboard with out a tower. Go to the wakeboardreport.com There is a video of Scott Byerly behind a outboard malibu, No ballast and std ski pole.

Second in the diaries section is a picture of my 87 2001 witha Joystick Pro tower. Realitively inexpensive (via ebay) relatively easy install and it was solid, folded fairly easily.

2001. com has a section with pictures of a lot of 2001's with just about everyones tower so you can see which you like the looks of.

For me, The Sky High is a slight pita but like the boom (also a slight pita) it's there when I need it. I am under a canopy on a boatlift and like the convienience of not having to cover my boat.

Pete, Unless your loking for some serious air tubing, you should be fine without the tower, but for you I suggest the tower and flyhigh combo.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4487" rel="nofollow - 1998 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Fl Inboards
Date Posted: September-21-2010 at 7:30pm
I see towers on old Nautiques and for some reason the SS Minnow keeps popping in my head then the Gilligans island song!! Oh no! not Again!!!
Cheers!!!

-------------
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0

Posted By: dmiracle
Date Posted: September-21-2010 at 7:43pm
Adding a trolling motor on the front of my 92' Ski Nautique.

Looking for expert advice on mounting....Off the front or just in front of the passenger side windshield?

-------------
Doug

Date Posted: September-21-2010 at 7:52pm
I mounted mine next to the lawn chair I bolted to the ski platform.

Date Posted: September-21-2010 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

Pete, Unless your loking for some serious air tubing, you should be fine without the tower, but for you I suggest the tower and flyhigh combo.

Kevin,
I've been really feeling my age lately and the tube pro circuit is really getting tough. Pretty soon I'll be in the seniors class. In the meantime, I'm really thinking I need a "crutch" to aid my tubing so I'm contemplating going with a set up like this on my Atom. Won't cost much as it's just some 2x2 carbon steel tube and I've got the MIG welder out in the shop. What do you think?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-21-2010 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

I see towers on old Nautiques and for some reason the SS Minnow keeps popping in my head then the Gilligans island song!! Oh no! not Again!!!
Cheers!!!

I know, I suck because I can not buy a new ski boat every year, sigh. I know, it's all about being with the "in crowd". I will just relegate myself to the loser column. Whatever, I gave my report and I am happy with the end result. I pretty much have rhino skin when it comes to veiled superiority complexes. Guys, They are only fv<king boats. They are not objects of worship and they are tools for family fun. If you become obsessed with them, they own you.

-------------
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft

Date Posted: September-21-2010 at 11:27pm
OK heres the pic

-------------
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft

Date Posted: September-21-2010 at 11:29pm
Ok, just kidding. Heres the pic.

-------------
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft

Date Posted: September-21-2010 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

OK heres the pic

Now THAT is a damn funny picture. Amazingly, they haven't figured out that you can use the tower to pull the skier as well. That dude's about to get a serious rope burn on his hands.

-------------
Doug

Date Posted: September-21-2010 at 11:47pm

They are only fv<king boats. They are not objects of worship

Must disagree. Not only do I worship my boat, you oughta see my newly refurbished trailer. Just came in from the garage and having a beer with it (her). I've kept her home an extra week, just to spend more time with her.

-------------
Doug

Date Posted: September-21-2010 at 11:56pm

If I could change anything on my boat it would be the tower and bimini.A smart man would have used the flight control.Other than that theres not really anything I would change on the boat.

I hope you have better luck than Ryan and others who have had the same thing

-------------

Date Posted: September-22-2010 at 12:45am
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

If I could change anything on my boat it would be the tower and bimini.A smart man would have used the flight control.Other than that theres not really anything I would change on the boat.

I hope you have better luck than Ryan and others who have had the same thing

Ahhhh, Lake Altus (Oklahoma). I know it well. My first barefoot experience in 85'. Anyhow, nothing is irreversible. My boat is not pristine, was a salt water boat for a time, and it seems to just keep pulling really well. We put 75 hours on it this summer towing every kid in the neighborhood. We towed Cub Scouts, nieces, nephews and people who just came to our place and asked us to teach their kids. If the tower does not work out, I am out $621 (with a military discount) and I will have to fill 8 holes. I guess I do not know any better and this is high tech in my little world. I will probably change out the speakers and run the wires internally but I was in a rush to get it set up and running.
Tom

-------------
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft

Posted By: harddock
Date Posted: September-22-2010 at 12:53am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Kevin,
I've been really feeling my age lately and the tube pro circuit is really getting tough. Pretty soon I'll be in the seniors class. In the meantime, I'm really thinking I need a "crutch" to aid my tubing so I'm contemplating going with a set up like this on my Atom. Won't cost much as it's just some 2x2 carbon steel tube and I've got the MIG welder out in the shop. What do you think?

Honestly Pete. I think we should stick with the disc & stool. it's us, it's old school, if we want air we get taller stools. I'm talkin pure wood baby, no carbon fiber, maybe some nonskid or speedydry trown on the wet paint and of course with the invention of the router some beveled edge.

Maybe see you at the disc nationals in the grumpy ol men division.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4487" rel="nofollow - 1998 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Fl Inboards
Date Posted: September-22-2010 at 1:01pm

Cheers!!!

I know, I suck because I can not buy a new ski boat every year, sigh. I know, it's all about being with the "in crowd". I will just relegate myself to the loser column. Whatever, I gave my report and I am happy with the end result. I pretty much have rhino skin when it comes to veiled superiority complexes. Guys, They are only fv<king boats. They are not objects of worship and they are tools for family fun. If you become obsessed with them, they own you.

No! NO!!! You got me Wrong!!! I am kinda like Pete with the Tubing thing!
Mine is Monkey Bars on Boats. Shoot I was the first guy at Correct Craft to Ride Ski whatever you want to call it behind the patented tower that we designed I was test monkey!!. Your boat is a Cool looking boat It's me all the way! Just do not see the need for Roll bars on a boat in fact I was on the ground floor of the T-shirt if it was easy they would call it wakeboard! Sorry just cant help myself.
All tounge in Cheek!!!!

-------------
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0

Date Posted: September-22-2010 at 1:17pm

Sorry just cant help myself.
All tounge in Cheek!!!!

What he said. All in good fun, to each his own. What matters most is that you're teaching others to ski. Keep a goin'.

-------------
Doug

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: September-22-2010 at 1:20pm
Besides getting the boards off the floor it doubles for drying laundry.

-------------

Date Posted: September-23-2010 at 12:48am
My wife hates it when I hang up the towels like that!

Also sounds like I need a new moniker - it's a boat but also my toy.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Posted By: wakeroper
Date Posted: September-23-2010 at 10:26pm
I have an 84SN2001 I am trying to put a pylon on. For the life of me I can not get the finger out of the ski pole. There are no pins in the top holes a couple of inches below the ring. How long in the finger? is there pins anywhere else? I have the boat parked under a tree limb with a hoist pulling on the ring. Dont want to damage anything. Help.......

Date Posted: September-24-2010 at 9:24am
Are you sure you have the pins out? Did you use a punch and remove them? The pins are roll pins and are hollow. Take a close look.

The R&F can be stubborn. Get some decent penetrating oil on it like Kroil or a 50/50 mix of ATF and a solvent like acetone. Be patient and while pulling up like you are, start to see if you can twist the R&F in the pylon (careful - too much force and people have snapped the fingers off).

I'd say the shank of the R&F is about 5-6" long.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window