Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wet Sanding

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bama Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bama Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wet Sanding
    Posted: July-19-2010 at 4:24am
Just had my 1989 SN 2001 stripped and wet sanded. It looks great but I do have a question.... It has the shine back but if you look you can still see where the old decals were... Is this normal? It looks 100% better but not all the way back to factory shine.

I also have two scratches on the side in the red part that look like 'white scratches' that I thought they could get out but apparently were not able too. They are not that bad but I can see them so it makes me want to fix them... What is my best solution for this...?

Thanks CCF folks.
I love this site for all of the information. I hope to one day be able to help people as much as you have helped me.
Thanks again.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 6:00am
Doug I wet sanded my 89 also and got close to the factory shine. I had more problem with the white gel it is tough to get it back to the the white where it was protected from the sun. Pete will chime in about gel coat repair kits and colour matching.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 8:46am
Doug,
Can you post a picture of the white scratches? The depth will determine if they need to be filled.

Yes, the "ghosting" from decals can be tough. Some will always be there. I had to regel the complete transom of my Tique due to the PO naming the boat with decals. New decals will cover yours up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 2:49pm
What was thier process with the sanding and buffing. Lewy's boat looks awesome in that pic. I had just around 20 hours into mine. Sanded 4 times and buffed 6.
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
NAUTIQUEjunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTIQUEjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 10:45pm
I will chime in on this one, i posted alot of pics a couple of years ago on Planet Nautique of the last one i did. I will only use 2000gr on faded gel and light surface scratches. I really dont see much need to go any heavier on your paper unless its severe UV damage. I used Malco and 3M products for the most part. Following wetsanding I used Malco rapid cut compound to remove the sanding scratches. Then followed by 3M Finishing Material, now its starting to smooth and shine the Gel, now moving on to Foam Pad glaze to get the depth/wet look.. and finally a good paste wax ie Malco also.. I beleive you can acheive better than Factory results with the right products and a little knowledge..

Bama Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bama Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 1:41am
I will post pics next week of the scratches and try to give some idea of how deep they are. Dont get me wrong.... I am very satisfied with the job they did, I was just wondering if there should be a contrast where the original decals were. I have gotten numerous comments on how great it looks and am very happy with it, I just want to get rid of the scratches in the red part. Hopefully the pics I post will give you some idea.
I AM STILL WAITING on a set of original 89 decals (white check pattern with gray leading edge) to put back on as well as the bow and transom decals.(red with black outline), and still waiting on pin striping and Correct Craft logo for back of boat with World logo.
NAUTIQUEjunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTIQUEjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 4:08pm
Sometimes you can do more harm than good on deep scratch removal. Correct Crafts Gel is around 1mm thick sometimes less, so if you were to take you index finger useing it on top of lets say 1500gr paper, you would create a dip or crater in the gel once the scratch was gone.

You are better off blocking sanding the scratch until you are satisfied, but you still have to have some common sense on when to stop sanding.. Once the Gel is gone its to late of course..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic