NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do I need new exhaust manifolds?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do I need new exhaust manifolds?
    Posted: April-29-2010 at 6:42am
Well, I still have a running issue on my 78 martinique with the 351.

At this point, I am thinking maybe my original exhaust manifolds are shot? It runs great on the trailer with a fake a lake, but when in the water, it won't rev above idle in gear. i have done pretty much everything i can think of to it.

Rebuilt gt40p heads, edelbrock performer intake, the carb has been gone through and I am pretty sure that isn't the issue, the fuel pump pumps well, although i have yet to put a psi gauge on it. It does suck up fuel quickly from the feed hose, I have a new points set up on it as I thought my EI conversion was faulty, new PCM cap and rotor, new PCM plug wires and NGK plugs, and all the top end gaskets. Compression is very good as the boat has under 5000 hours total on it.   I replaced the fuel water separator on it, and for the life of me I can't figure out anything else.

The distributor is stock, but clean and with as few of hours it has on it, I doubt that that could be an issue. I have the timing right, and the firing order is correct.

Water seems to come out of both exhausts fine and evenly, for the most part, but I am thinking maybe the manifolds have failed and that is the issue?

Is there a way to test them? Can it be done on the motor without removing them? If money were still not an issue, I would simply buy a new set of oscos for 450 for the set with gaskets( or get hiteks) but I would rather see what I can do for as little money as I can go.

Thanks,

Tom
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 7:01am
forget about the exhaust manifolds, they have nothing to do with this...

when was the last time you ran the boat fine? what work has been done on it since?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 8:27am
Tom,
I agree it's not the manifolds. You don't get any more RPM's out of it past idle while in gear?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 11:09am
Tom,

You say it runs good on the trailer, are you able to get it above idle in neutral? Manifolds could not do this. Could your throttle/trans linkage be messed up?
Mike N

1968 Mustang

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

and the firing order is correct.

Are you sure? With just 2 wires crossed a motor can still sound ok with no load but put it in gear and it will struggle.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 1:44pm
have you varified that the throttle cable is actually moving at the carb while your underway? have you changed props?

Seems really wierd it doesn't increase any,
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 1:48pm

Compression is very good as the boat has under 5000 hours total on it.   

I hope you meant 500...cause 5000 is a ton of hours.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 9:14pm
Well, the last time it ran perfectly was right before the RWP impeller went a couple seasons ago. After that,I couldn't get it to run properly. After the impeller was replaced, cleaned chunks of impeller out of my t stat housing, and some came out of the exhaust manifold plugs when I drained them too.    I swore it was a carb issue, but after the carb had been checked out by a holley carb guru (not a ski boat carb guru, but he has done a few ski boat carbs with no issues), and I learned a LOT about carbs by trying to see what the issue was if it was carb related. Nothing after looking at the carb many times tells me it is a carb issue, but i could be worng.

It would run, but cut out after it got on plane. Sometimes it would take a while and I could ski behind it, other times it wouldn't let me ski.

I did a compression test with the original heads on it, and it looked fine. I thought maybe I had an intake manifold air leak, so while I was at it, i got the edelbrock performer, and while i was at it, got a set of gt40p heads that were fully rebuilt by a trusted machine shop. I figured with the original head gaskets, that might have been the issue. So I put new top end on it, all gaskets, the newly refurbed heads, the perfomer carb, tested the fuel pump and it works and does not let gas past the first membrane so that is fine apparently.

While testing and redoing the top end of the motor, I saw the fuel line was original from the tank to the fuel water separator. When i replaced that, i found what i believe to be my issue of the motor cutting out. There was crap in the fitting right off the top of the tank. I wish i would have found that a long time ago. i bet the boat would have been fixed with that alone.   who would have known? but I hear I am not the only one to spend a lot of parts only to find it was very cheap fix even with the new gas hose.

it runs great out of the water, but bogs and dies in gear on the lake.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 9:15pm
Yeah, I get some RPMs past idle in gear, but not enough to get on plane.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 9:18pm
Yeah, I looked at it tons of times last year. I am positive the firing order is right. I even tried a couple different alternate firing orders, but none would work well on the trailer besides what it is using now.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 9:23pm
Yeah, I am pretty sure it moves like it is supposed to. It runs like a champ on the trailer.   You can watch the throttle go up and down with the throttle lever.

the prop on it now is the 4 blade acme, but that has been on it for a long time, pretty much since i owned it and redid the interior. That has never been an issue.

I may have a revelation here.

I do need a new bushing in the prop shaft strut, and the packing needs to be replaced as well because it leaks a little too much and it's been a few years since the packing has been changed. Could the bog and then engine kill be from extra friction from these 2 things?

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 9:26pm
oops yes, 500. Even if it had 5000, with the new top end that probably wouldn't be an issue, at least with the good compression I have on it.

My compression did go up with the new heads and gaskets, but not a lot. it was fine before the head swap.

I will be bringing the CC down home here from the cottage so i can work on it. if i can't figure it out, I will take it to the mechanic, but I HATE to do that. And I would hate it if it was something stupid that they charged me a lot of $$ for. For em time is still more plentiful than $$$.

I'm hoping to have this boat at the green lake reunion for my first time there.

if it were distributor related, it wouldn't rev and run like a top on the trailer, right?
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 10:07pm
I have seen a distributor with a dirty pickup not let the engine go over 3k rpm but that was with a conversion and you said you went back to points? You have the adapter plate in between the intake and spacer I assume?
Brian
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 1:24am

It would run, but cut out after it got on plane. Sometimes it would take a while and I could ski behind it, other times it wouldn't let me ski.

This is where trouble shooting over the internet gets tricky, you have to give us consistent information. You originally said it won't rev above idle in gear, but now you say it gets you on plane for a little while and then dies.

Try a new coil. Is there a balast resistor inline?
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 1:24am
Yep, I have a spacer and an adapter plate from spread to square bore. i forgot to mention that, but yeah, it's in place.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 1:32am
This is the plate hotboat is talking about, is this what you have in place

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 1:34am
I had 2 distinct issues. One was having an obstruction in the fuel line right at the ball valve anti back siphon part, and then I now have a different issue. That's why my description is a bit inconsistent.

Yeah, it does rev above idle in gear, but not well, and usually dies unless I am very lucky and I can catch it so I don't have to re start it.

I have a msd blaster coil on it, but I have tried 3 known good coils and I get no difference in the boat's reaction. A ballast resistor is in line.

I know, over the internet analysis is a pain.

What's your take on the drive shaft bushing thought I had earlier? This thing runs so well on the trailer that it baffles me what it's issue is on the lake.

I just want to get the boat running properly. 2 years ago I was so sick with a nasty cough I couldn't even think about waterskiing, and last summer was cold. This summer should be nice as we are ahead of schedule temperature wise with a very abrupt end to winter.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 1:35am
That plate is exactly what I have.

Mine is a summit brand.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 1:51am
The problem is not in your driveline.

Sounds like fuel to me, either delivery or carb. I know the carbs been rebuilt but I would try to find another one to test with. Have you personally checked the float level on the primary side? Sounds like when you power up it's running out of fuel. Accelerator pump working?
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 2:07am
I wish I had someone in the area with a known perfectly set carb to try out.

It sort of does sound like it runs out of gas when powering up out of the hole on acceleration to me, but IIRC,I now have the float set pretty high so I was trying to eliminate that as an issue. I think if I set it any higher, it would spill gas out of the tube. I tried adjusting this in the water too when I had an issue, and I was not able to get the floats set in any position to get it to power out of the hole properly.

The accelerator pump does spray gas when activated. I have no clue if the cc of the pump is the right amount, but it ran with this carb before it was checked out. i doubt the accelerator pump was even messed with.

If I were to buy a brand new holley 600 cfm marine carb, would it literally be bolt on and not need adjustment? I really don't want to throw a good chunk of money at the boat, but I want to get it running finally.
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 2:53am
Make sure where the fuel line goes into the carb is the same as you have if you get a new one,they are not all the same.
Brian
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 3:48am
I would rather buy a used known nice one due to cost, but even if the fuel line inlet was a tad different, that is not a big deal to me.

Anyone know of someone selling a nice used carb?
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 4:21am
What height should the primary's float be set at?

I want to try at least 1 more time to fix it myself before I resort to spending hundreds on a new marine carb. Since the carb has been rebuilt, i would think I should be able to simply adjust what I have, right?

The best deal I see on a 600cfm holley for marine use (universal marine) has a side single fuel inlet. Is the fuel inlet on this one just needing a fuel line to be bent and flared to make it work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holley-0-80551-600-CFM-4160-MARINE-CARBURETOR-ELE-CHOKE-/300408682243?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item45f1c0b703
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 10:54am
Fuel Pump OK?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Fuel Pump OK?

I was wondering the same as nobody menction that!!!
I remember I had similar issues with my boat, say 7 years ago..I was kind of a newbie and didn´t know much about this engines...
Boat would run fine and it would stumble eventually under load, sometimes it did fail and others no problem..it was a random problem, When i was with the mechanic on board it run like a champ. Then problem got worst. Ended up being the pump rubber diafragm (hope I speel it right) that was falling appart, and little pieces of rubber were going through the line and clogging the carb on its way..The mechaninc found the pieces of rubber in the screen located in the carb fuel inlet.
I changed the pump and problem went away.
BEfore you venture in the pump change try to put a gauge and see how much psi its flowing...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 2:04pm

the fuel pump pumps well, although i have yet to put a psi gauge on it. It does suck up fuel quickly from the feed hose,
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 2:13pm
Alan,Think he could have blown the power valve in the carb?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 2:19pm
OK couple comments. First don't spend any money on a carb, adjust what you have. Secondly just because you checked the fuel pump for a leak past the diaphram only verifies it's not leaking and does not say anything about the amount of fuel pressure it suppliers. So assuming the fuel pump is ok is a bit risky in my book.

So sollutions for the problem, couple of basic checks are require and all can be done in the drive, but first, check the anti-siphon valve at teh fuel tank make sure it's clear, next get a fuel pressure gauge disconnect the fuel line at the carb and crank the engine over a couple times to verify you are getting 5 lbs of pressure. Next you need a timing light and need to verify that the timeing is set between 8-10 BTDC, next you have to verify the mechanical advance is working properly, crank the motor up to 2500-3000k and verify your getting upper 20's to low 30's of total advance. Once all that is verified it leaves the carb.

What needs to be check at the carb is the accel pump, disconnect the cable at teh carb slowly move the carb's throttle open watching for a stream of gas to squirt into both primary barrels for the entire range of the throttle's travel. If the stream starts half way throught travel that's not good and it needs adjusted, there is a little screw/nut adjustment by the diaphram the needs adjust until you get a full stream of gas for the entire stroke of the throttle.

Now if the float is too low then it's going to lean out the carb and usually backfire through the carb, now if it's too high then it bogs down the motor.

Basicly your problem is ignition timing related not enough advance over the rpm range or a fuel delivery problem. So do the easy stuff first, fuel pressure and timing verification, then move forward to teh carb.

What type of ignition system to do you have? points. electromic, conversion?

engine bogging down under load causes,

Flooding
Retarded timing
lean setting
no fuel pressure
no fuel volume
bad accel pump
bad coil
bad module
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 3:54pm
Thanks for the detailed post 79.

I was going to install an in line fuel pressure gauge. One of those nice things to have, even after the issue has been fixed.

I did check the fuel pump my seeing how quickly it sucks out a plastic cup worth of gas. It would slurp that up very quickly, IIRC, only a couple cranks of the motor when the ignition was off of it to test the fuel pump.

I had EI on it, but it now has new PCM points and condenser.

I cleaned the anti siphon valve out during the head swap/ fuel line change. That ended up being my original issue of why the boat would run for a while, on plane, then die like it was out of gas. had I looked there before I took the heads off, I would have fixed my boat. Instead I figured I might as well make more hp while I was at it and got gt40p heads and the performer intake.

I have used a timing light to check timing. IIRC, it is in the 8-10 BTDC now. To check total timing, simply leave the timing light on as it is revved to 2500-3k and read the light? If it has 20's to low 30's total advance, that would rule out any issue int eh distributor, right?

It could be the accelerator pump. I know it squirts, but when it squirts I don't know. I will have to verify.

How high is too high on the primary float valve to bog it? Obviously you don't want it to spill gas out the tube, but a boat static on a trailer versus one in the water is a big difference with angle. The bow going up at all would throw any fuel to the back of the front bowl.

I doubt it is a bad coil, as I have tried 3 known good ones and that isn't the issue.
bad module? you mean the silver box at the back of the motor?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 4:53pm
just because it's sucking up gas doesn't mean it has enough pressure to lift the needle off of the seat in the carb so get the gauge and double check.

take a buddy with you to drive or watch the carb, lift the engine cover remove the arrestor but some power to it and look and see if fuel is being sucked from the front of the primary barrels, it should only be coming from anular ports in the center of the barrels. Take some carb cleaner or starting fluid, once you are going and the throttle is opended up and it's bogging down spray some of it accross the top of the carb's primary barrels if it takes off your not getting enough gas if it boggs down more then your flooding it and the float might be too high or your mechanical aadvance isn't working in the distributor. Your correct on how to check for total advance BTW. It's easier if you have an adjustable style timing light to verify it otherwise you have to take a guess as the scale on the block doesn't usually go high enough.

You have point in it now the module was removed when you replace the conversion with the points. Now since you have re-installed the points did you set the dwell? you can get close by setting the gap but it can be an art getting it exactly right with that method so a dwell meter is your best friend in this case. You'll want to go back and readjust timing if you have to change the dwell, set the dwell at 28-32 degrees.

If it is way off you'll want to readjust everything, timing idle air mixture screw, idle too as these will change with changes to the dwell and timing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic