NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do I need new exhaust manifolds?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 8:38pm
LOL

Yeah, you never know when a smoking habit actually helps;)

1 degree is not off by much Pete. Heck, even the instructions I have seen say + or - 2 degrees.

I have a feeling buying a new dwell meter would be easier too, but I have to say, if I will spend the 30 dollars on a dwell meter, I will go and spend the extra 40 dollars on a pertronix EI kit, and leave a book of matches , and the wire LOL, in the boat as part of my tool kit for my points back up if the EI ever fails. Heck, Summit even gave me a $10 off code for my next order over 100 dollars.   

I just put in my new fuel pump. It reads 7 psi pretty much all the time. It goes to 6.5 psi right after I gun the gas, but then climbs back to 7 psi even if the throttle is left at the same higher revs. The motor runs a lot better now. It smoothed out pretty much everywhere. The carb may need a tad bit of tweaking (with the 2 idle screws- Alan, that's what you meant by adjusting the carb:). I don't know if this is normal, maybe the floats are set a tad high (at least the primary), but there is always gas dripping from the "squirter rings" in bigger drops. When I rev it up, it runs fine, even with that, and after I let off the gas and let it go back to idle, it runs perfectly until a few moments. I think that tells me that excess gas is being put in the throat making it stumble a little.

I could take a short video of what I am describing if that will help.

I think at this point, I could probably drop it in the river by me and give it a test under load.

I am crossing my fingers, but I think the fuel pump may be the biggest issue it had.

I will be done dinking on the boat for today, as the fiance and I are looking at a litter of yellow lab pups in a little bit. Who knows, we might even bring one back today depending on if they are actually 8 weeks old today.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 1:26pm
pertronix isn't what you want to buy, get thE mallory e-spark unit.

also lower the float level on the carb, you might even have to get a pressure regulator since the fuel pressure is now on the high side, to stop the extra fuel flowing through the venturis. This can be due to a high float or it can be because the needle and seat isn't closing due to too much fuel pressure.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 6:25pm
What model number is that mallory e spark kit?

I will re adjust the front float.

And I came back with this little guy yesterday.

8 week old purebred lab pup with english (blocky head) bloodlines.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

What model number is that mallory e spark kit?
Give Karen a call at correct parts

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 9:03pm
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 3:49pm
On CC parts, I see they have a mallory conversion for screw down caps. I assume that is why I would need to call since I have a clip cap.:)

I see this place sells the pertronix as well. What makes the mallory "better" than the pertronix? There are actually 2 pertonix ignitors, the ignitor I and ignitor II.

I used an ignitor I until I believe I fried it while trying to chase my tail when had a anti siphon valve clog. It seems to run pretty well now, without taking it on the lake yet. The only thing I can see that is up yet is maybe the float in the primary needs to be lowered a tad now that I have a fuel pump that works how it should.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 1:24pm
Well, I let her run on the hose in the driveway for 30 minutes or so yesterday. I need to put in fresh gas, and was kind of double checking the running condition and burning up a little gas in the process so when I put in fresh gas, there is less of the old stuff.

The boat starts pretty much right up, even if I don't manually close the choke plate, and it idles nice, and revs nicely all through the entire rpm range. It sounds better than when I bought it, and it ran well then.

The slight burble is still there, but that could be from old gas. I will take it out sometime very soon, and report back. I am cautiously optimistic I have the motor tuned/ adjusted pretty much spot on.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 1:32pm

The slight burble is still there, but that could be from old gas. I will take it out sometime very soon, and report back. I am cautiously optimistic I have the motor tuned/ adjusted pretty much spot on.

Spot on i don't think so,

After you installed the pump did you go back and adjust the idle mixture screws and base idle? you should have, still holding out on the choke too it sounds like, why can't you just fix it right for a change?
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 1:44pm
That's why I said pretty much spot on. ;)

It should be good enough for a test drive. I mean I have driven it when I knew if would only idle around the lake.

Yes Alan, I did adjust the base idle and the 2 idle screws. That did smooth it out quite a bit. I am figuring that the slight burble is from the front float being set a tad too high, but it could be from older gas too. I'm guessing that it is not from the gas from last year, but I figured I would give it a try first before I monkeyed with the float.   I will get the choke fixed properly in the very near future.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 1:51pm

Yes Alan, I did adjust the base idle and the 2 idle screws.

Remember you need to adjust your air mixture screws with the boat in gear in the water. I do mine with the boat sitting on the trailer in forward just pushing on the bow stop.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 2:01pm
Ahhh!

That I did not do yet.

Thanks for the reminder:)
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 1:53am
Well, the boat does run much better than it has in a while, but I do believe that I need a fuel pressure regulator.

I have gas coming out of both primary and secondary squirters, even at idle. If it were just the primaries, I might think it would be a float too high issue, but both?

Also it was running at 8 psi of fuel pressure , rather than the 7.5 psi it was previously in the driveway.

I found this one at Summit. It is like 25 dollars, and has 2 outlets. I only need one outlet, so I should be able to put a brass plug in the other outlet, right?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3131-1/?rtype=10

Now I should be able to put a ferule with a compression fitting on the
inlet and the one outlet, right? I don't want to have any more rubber fuel line when the hard line looks nicer in my opinion.

I guess I should set the pressure to like 6 psi once I get this on. What do you guys think?
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 3:00am
I found this one too, from Jegs.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/15912/10002/-1

This looks to be the pretty much same as the one from Summit.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 9:08am
Tom,
Somethings up with with your carb. Why would you need pressure regulation if it never had it to begin with. The 7.5/8 psi is within the normal. Rebuild time! Have you been messing with it internally?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 3:14pm
It's been rebuilt by a guy that actually knows holley carbs. It has nearly new needles( about a year and a half since it was redone). I will check both floats, starting with the front. Before with the old worn out 4psi pump, it never had gas come out of the secondaries like that on the trailer. That's why I think it needs regulation. 4 psi didn't make the secondaries do this before.

Taking the bowls off will show me if there is varnish or other crap in there too.

I'm pretty sure other folks here have had to put on regulators once they either get a new fuel pump.

What is the upper end of acceptable psi range?
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

pertronix isn't what you want to buy, get thE mallory e-spark unit.

also lower the float level on the carb, you might even have to get a pressure regulator since the fuel pressure is now on the high side, to stop the extra fuel flowing through the venturis. This can be due to a high float or it can be because the needle and seat isn't closing due to too much fuel pressure.

Pete, even Chris says here that I may need a regulator.

I won't spend the money in the reg until I open the carb up today. If the carbs floats just need to be finally adjusted one last time, I will get that choke stat instead of the reg.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 3:36pm
well I'm betting your carb guy isn't all that good otherwise he would have replaced the choke stat, so the question bears to what else did he cheap out on too?, cans of carb cleaner enstead of the buck of carb cleaner to soak it in, diaphrams for the seconday's?

Pete my buddy Mike uses a regulator and gauge on his stroked 350 mag i/o BTW for the same reasons, too much pressure blowing fuel past the needle and seat.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 3:51pm
Chris, the choke stat was in perfect shape when it left his place.
I broke the terminal off while putting on or taking off the wire one time.
He soaked everything in his parts washer table.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 4:24pm

Chris, the choke stat was in perfect shape when it left his place.
I broke the terminal off while putting on or taking off the wire one time.
He soaked everything in his parts washer table.

that screams the guy doesn't know what the hell he's doing. You don't clean a carb in a parts cleaner you clean it in a bucket of carburator cleaner not kerosene or mineral spirits, half ace carb rebuild IMHO.

hope it has the blue gaskets if it doesn't you better get a new kit before you start taking it apart or you'll be sorry you didn't afterwards.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 4:38pm
Chris and Tom,
My point was why would the regulation be needed if it never had it to begin with. I can understand on a engine that's been modified but Tom, you have a stock engine to my knowledge. Did you put a stock fuel pump back on it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 4:48pm
Chris, he used carb cleaner only in the parts washer, not normal parts washer kerosene or whatever they use in those typically. He had shelves of holley parts in his basement. Apparently carbs are his thing. For him, a bucket, or 5 of the carb cleaners wouldn't cut it. He had a tight fitting lid on the cleaner bin/ washer as well.

It has the blue reusable gaskets on it, the guy put those on it.

No Pete, it is not a stock fuel pump. It's not a high pressure one per say, but it may have a little more pressure than a standard stock replacement. It's supposed to put out 7.5 psi.

I will see if I can get new diaphragms for the original delco pump that was on it at some point.

I'm very close, even as it is it runs pretty well. But I am certain I will need to adjust he idle and the 2 screws on the metering block once I either get the floats where they should be set, or assuming that is not the issue, the pressure regulated down a tad.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 4:50pm
Usually you don't Pete, I agree but in this case for what ever reason the pressure is High, to me 6 lbs is about as much as you will need and anything over that starts creating problems and needle's not seating because of the higher pressure. In my buddies case he was/is fight a midrange miss, hopefully the new Davis DUI dist. will fix the problem, but he has tried a couple different carbs and actaully screwed up his first rebuild because of the high pressure blowing past the seat and leaking down through the carb, washing down the walls and not letting the rings seat properly because he didn't realize the issue until it was too late. Well since then he's stroked it and got different vortec heads and some other goodies, yet still had the miss, very slight at that but still not right, and since the Thunderbolt ignitions module is almost the price of a new dist, he opted for the HEI Davis unit in hopes that's the cure.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 4:58pm

Chris, he used carb cleaner only in the parts washer, not normal parts washer kerosene or whatever they use in those typically. He had shelves of holley parts in his basement. Apparently carbs are his thing. For him, a bucket, or 5 of the carb cleaners wouldn't cut it. He had a tight fitting lid on the cleaner bin/ washer as well.

the more you talk the less credability your carb guy gets. You use a 5 gallon bucket of cleaner with an adgitating device hook to the basket, soak it for 4-6 hours, rinse and blow dry and then assemble the carb. Again it's all in who's turning the wrenches and there are so many shade tree idiots out there.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 5:08pm

No Pete, it is not a stock fuel pump. It's not a high pressure one per say, but it may have a little more pressure than a standard stock replacement. It's supposed to put out 7.5 psi.

There you go again with the non original parts! I have to ask why did you use it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 5:33pm
Guys, I am making what I have work. If I have to throw 40 dollars or so at a regulator and a choke stat, I will. I don't want to spend 80-100 on a different pump, when the one I have obviously puts out enough psi.

Being unemployed leaves a tight budget. It's not that I am trying to be cheap, it's more that I need to be frugal. Even if I did buy the one that DIM or other places sell, it wouldn't be original Pete. ;)

I have to weigh all my decisions based on dollars, but at the same time keeping upbeat and doing what I can since I have time now.

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 5:38pm

It's been rebuilt by a guy that actually knows holley carbs. It has nearly new needles(too.

I'm pretty sure other folks here have had to put on regulators once they either get a new fuel pump.

You do not use nor need a regulator. You replace parts with OEM parts.What part of this do you not understand. Marine carbs, fuel pumps, alternaters, dizzys, starters. They are porpose built marine , not some *************** you decide to put on cause it will work better......
Most of us have the Correct Parts on our boats,if not we post and we get told how to be Safe,and enjoy the use of these old boats.We make a few friends and learn a few boat lessons along the way........billy
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 8:09pm
So I checked both primary and secondary floats. The front was almost level, and I adjusted it. Also, I verified the needle valves were actually opening and closing with the floats. I also was able to get the motorcraft 1 wire choke stat to work on my holley. There are 2 electrical connections, but 1 was just in a different place. Simple fix, and it works. If I didn't bring this up, I doubt anyone would even know it wasn't the original one.

I did have to modify the end of the bimetallic spring to fit onto the post that is part of the choke lever mechanism. Not a problem either.

Also, I have the boat idling in the driveway now. No gas is coming from the secondary squirters, and only one drop once in a while is coming out of the primaries.

I won't get the regulator.

I'm well aware of what is, and what isn't marine specific. Some things like fuel pressure gauges and such, are not an item that needs to be marine rated. You won't catch me trying to run a non marinized alternator, starter, or distributor. There are very good reasons for using marine rated ones.

Pete, my boat is not stock anymore. It's got gt40p heads, and an edelbrock intake. Not to say the totally stock fuel pump wouldn't supply the carb with enough fuel though, even with the mods I have done.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 8:51pm
Horkn, wrong again.... Stock pump will supply way more "VOLUME" than the jets can supply . Your motor will run just fine with a stock PCM pump.
Do the math dude, how many pounds of fuel can you burn in one hour at WOT.That number, pounds per hour,is all the fuel the pump needs to replace inside the carb bowls, no more and often a lot less.......
I also doubt that the regulator is USCG approved for marine use.If it does have a SAE No. and tag stating compliance, if not good luck................Boat dr
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 10:07pm
I guess you didn't read that I won't be buying a regulator as I got it to almost completely stop "spilling" out of the squirters.

Note on my last post that I mentioned a stock pump would surely do the trick. So I am not "wrong" as you say.

I am saving up for a new stock pcm or equivalent pump, probably the one for 80 dollars from DIM, unless someone sees one for a better price.

By me making the choke stat work, and not getting a regulator, I pretty much saved as much as the new pump from DIM costs.   I will see where I am at after my mortgage is paid this week.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 10:37pm

I am saving up for a new stock pcm or equivalent pump, probably the one for 80 dollars from DIM, unless someone sees one for a better price.

By me making the choke stat work, and not getting a regulator, I pretty much saved as much as the new pump from DIM costs.   I will see where I am at after my mortgage is paid this week.

Tom,
Did you ever think about rebuilding the old pump? Kits run about $25 to $45. That's probably cheaper than the regulator. Since you're out of work, it may be a better solution. (it also avoids the "half assing" scenario again with the regulator! )

Your pump is probably riveted together. They are ground off, guts changed out and machine screws used to put it back together.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic