Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do I need new exhaust manifolds?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
inglesideshawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 5:05pm
sounds like a fue problem..
try the pick up tube in the tank,(broken)
siphon valve?

or just run it out of a outboard tank and eliminate the fuel system and see if that works..
1989 nautique
QUEBEC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QUEBEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2010 at 11:09am
I think you have fuel a delivery problem here. if you can I would instll a guage on the pickup side of the fuel pump. between pump and filter on the tank side that can read a vacuum like on a old oil burner or fuel pump. then take ride around the lake and monitor the reading. there should be no vacuum reading at all if there is you have a restiction. dirt or somthing in the tank/ bad fuel line filter or fittings somthing on the fuel pickup side of the system.   
NEVER EVER GIVE UP ON YOUR SELF YOUR FAMILY YOUR FRIENDS AND GOD THERE ALWAYS A NEW DAY
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2010 at 4:20pm
The gauge is not a bad idea but it's more common to put a pressure gauge between the pump and the carb. You should see around 6 to 7 lbs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
QUEBEC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QUEBEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2010 at 9:32pm
A guage that reads a vacuum on the pick up side is a quick way to monitor any type of system with fluids that are pulled from a tank for a small or large restriction. once the guage comes of 0 there is a problem starting. A pressure guage will not respond that fast to any problems.
NEVER EVER GIVE UP ON YOUR SELF YOUR FAMILY YOUR FRIENDS AND GOD THERE ALWAYS A NEW DAY
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2010 at 3:16am
So on the stock front fuel bowl, what is the thread for the inlet? it's definitely not 9/16-24 like the side mount one on the carb I linked to.

I am trying to find a new fuel line to bolt to my carb and put that in line fuel pressure gauge(0-15 psi liquid filled).

I do need a new choke assembly as well as my electrical prong broke on my old one last summer, so I am getting a parts order from summit to get what I need. Unless someone has a used but good electric choke Assembly for sale....

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2010 at 11:08am
this is my Pressure guage installation I did 2 weeks ago...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

So on the stock front fuel bowl, what is the thread for the inlet? it's definitely not 9/16-24 like the side mount one on the carb I linked to.

I am trying to find a new fuel line to bolt to my carb and put that in line fuel pressure gauge(0-15 psi liquid filled).

I do need a new choke assembly as well as my electrical prong broke on my old one last summer, so I am getting a parts order from summit to get what I need. Unless someone has a used but good electric choke Assembly for sale....

so you've been running the boat with full choke and wonder why it's not getting any RPM's   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 3:52pm
It should be a SAE flare.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 3:05am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

so you've been running the boat with full choke and wonder why it's not getting any RPM's   

Sounds like the problem to me..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 8:51am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Sounds like the problem to me..

I knocked a choke wire off my 81 last fall while winterizing and didn't notice it, within a few minutes it started missing like hell and pouring black smoke out the back. I do run colder plugs in my boat than most do though so it doesn't take much to screw it up.

I really hope this isn't the choke or Mr Horkin's gonna have some egg on his face for sure.    
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 12:26pm
all it takes is leaving out one little piece of information to get side tracked and start chasing a tail.

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 2:14pm
now are we sure the choke got stuck closed?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

the normal postion is closed and since the terminal is broken there is no reason to feel that the coil inside of it is broken allowing the choke to open. Also if it was stuck open then starting would be a major pain.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 4:06pm
Tom,
Do you understand how the electric choke works? We can fill you in if needed!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 9:37pm

Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

the normal postion is closed and since the terminal is broken there is no reason to feel that the coil inside of it is broken allowing the choke to open. Also if it was stuck open then starting would be a major pain.

I have my choke disconnected and the plate's wide open.
it just takes a little throttle at cold starts to have her going, no pain involved, and engines rans great once it's warm.

Now, if the plate's stuck closed it would start nicely and ran like crap after warm up, wouldnt it?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 2:23pm
you can adjust the choke so it is that way if you don't want to use it. but typically when it is installed correctly there is tenson on the top butterfly and has the coil heats up it opens the choke
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 7:11pm
LOL. no this piece got knocked off the choke after futzing with the carb 1000 times. It has no effect on the running of the motor.

The choke stays off in it's normal setting, and needs to be manually adjusted to have the choke on for starting it when it is cold. I think when the piece broke originally, the choke would close off like it was supposed to. I adjusted it so it would not close unless you did it manually.

If this were the issue, I would be happy as hell, with no egg on my face at all.

I think I will bring the boat down home from up north this next week. then I can really get this thing back on line.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 12:37am
I am going up north Tomorrow, so the boat will be here on Wednesday and I can figure this out:)

I have a feeling the fuel pump may be shot. That would explain why it can't take the load of hauling the boat out of the water under load. The accelerator pump may not be set right either, but my bet at this point is on the fuel pump. I mean, it is from 1978.

I attempted to use a new automotive holley fuel pump when I had the check valve obstruction, but that didn't fix the issue, because the fuel couldn't get to the pump. I could try that fuel pump out and if that fixes it, then buy anew marine pump.

I think my father has a dwell meter as well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 9:35am

but my bet at this point is on the fuel pump. I mean, it is from 1978.   

Tom,
I sure hope this turns out to be the problem but don't count on it. My 64 has the original pump and I just put a rebuild kit in my 54's pump a year ago.

Are you planning on getting a pressure gauge in line as recommended to check it? I still lean towards ignition. Maybe you should go up with a spare conversion modual as well. Per Chris, you should carry a spare on board anyway. I wonder what the next thing Chris will be recommending for spares. Maybe the engine??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 2:06pm
I kept mine in perfect running order so there was never a need for spare parts on the boat, When you know how to turn wrenchs and tune an engine then there really isn't a need for tools or spare parts on the boat. Only time I had issue that I couldn't fix with out tools was the shaft breaking and a new coil going out within 5 hours of use.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 2:17pm

I kept mine in perfect running order so there was never a need for spare parts on the boat, When you know how to turn wrenchs and tune an engine then there really isn't a need for tools or spare parts on the boat. Only time I had issue that I couldn't fix with out tools was the shaft breaking and a new coil going out within 5 hours of use.

This must be the best post ever
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 1:47am
Well, the boat is in my driveway now, so I can get to wrenching.

I will be getting the pressure gauge and also testing the dwell, and once I can locate a nice timing light that I can check total advance with I will do that too.

Pete, that's really interesting about the stock fuel pumps lasting as long as they have for you. Maybe the ethanol added to our gas down here might have prematurely worn out the diaphragms in mine?

PS, it has autolites in it, has since the gt40p's went on. They were cheaper and easier to find than the ngk's;)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 2:21am

Maybe the ethanol added to our gas down here might have prematurely worn out the diaphragms in mine

Here's my 40 year old pump that was run for quite some time on ethanol. Had no problems,just decided to rebuild

here it is finished

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 2:27am
Wow, that's shiny now:)

So you can simply rebuild these things?

Who sells the parts?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 2:40am
Check with these these guys. You will need the numbers off of the pump mounting flange.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 3:06am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Must be a message here...check out the headline on the newspaper.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 9:23am

there really isn't a need for tools or spare parts on the boat.

Chris,
I'm confused. Here's what you said May 10th:

it's easier to just keep a spare module onboard.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 1:14pm
Pete do you always take stuff out of context?

we where talking about someone else's boat and the need to keep the points and condenser as back up, My comment was it would be easier if you just kept a spare module onboard instead, Didn't say I would, didn't say I was concerned, he was concerned so I suggested a spare module over the points and condensor.

Why is keeping a spare module better than keeping points as a back up for an electronic conversion if your the type of person worried it's going to fail and leave you stranded? Becuase it only takes two screw to remove the module and plug in a new one and your on your way. Done in about five minutes maybe less and the engine will run fine.

Now if your Electroinc conversion fails and you keep the points as back like YOU seem to suggest quite often. So the steps required for that are removing the conversion kit, mounting the plate for the points to mount to, wiring up the points, replacing the rotor with the old rotor, gapping the points, then jacking with the timing and/or gap untill you can get the engine started and adjust the timing by ear. So after about 1/2 hour if your lucky and are good at adjusting the timing on the fly then your back running. That is provided that you remembered to save the wire for the points to connect them to the coil, doesn't work with out it and you can't use the wires from the conversion unit either you just removed it, but no one ever talks about the wire that is needed to reinstall the points and saving it. Also the rotor is another common part over looked, some conversion kits actually want you to remove the cam lobe for the point's so you need to save that too

What seems easier removing two screws in less than 5 minutes or jacking with several other items for a half hour or longer?

For the record the only tools I ever carried if any at all, was a screw driver and a small adjustable wrench and a cork screw with a bottle opener on it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 4:52pm
Chris,
I understand your point completely. You took my post out of content. It was meant as a joke and the reason I put the in it!!

Yes, changing out a modual is easy but you know me I'm just not a fan of them. You'll agree that a complete distributor conversion is the way to go. Until the day comes when I do a non original distributor conversion, I'll stick with the points. If I run into a problem all I need is my wifes fingernail file!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 5:15pm
Pete, you're an emotocon machine nowadays. I remember when you didn't believe in them.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic