NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

prop shaft removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
benrankin33 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benrankin33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prop shaft removal
    Posted: March-24-2010 at 11:11pm
In a nut shell I can't get it out!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benrankin33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:10am
Does any body have advice on how to remove the priop shaft in 1990 ski nautique?
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:38am
on my 85 2001 I borrowed my buddies steering wheel puller . It worked fine but it was on there tight
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benrankin33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:41am
I can't get the prop shaft out, to replace strut bushing, have you had any experiance with this?
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:45am
Ben,

I know of two methods to do this.

Method #1 is to remove the motor. Then it is easy to remove.

Method #2 is to use a tall 1" Diameter Socket or a 1" Dia Pipe between the Drive Shaft and the Drive Shaft Coulper and four threaded rods with nuts. You use the threaded rods to pull the coupling off of the shaft. The Coupler will slid over the 1" dia socket or pipe. The piece of pipe is between both couplings and is on the drive shaft 1" dia and the Trans Coupling. The coupling is on with a taper fit. To put it back together some put the shaft in the oven and the coupling in the freezor and the quickly put them back together. The new shafts use a key way type system that is easy to work with.

Do a search and I think that it was Pete Brainard (8122pbrainard) that put up a drawing that shows how the threaded rod puller system works. They use a piece of pipe or a socket to place between the couplings. Send me a e-mail to tilley165@bellsouth.net and I can draw a picture and scan it to you via e-mail. However, the picture is on this site if you do the search function. It may have been done by the Boat Dr., but I am thiking that it was by Pete. If I was you I would also install a Drip Less Packing kit while you have this all apart. JMO.

I hope this helps,

Donald
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:46am
you cant remove the coupling? describe further, more explanation from you is needed
"the things you own will start to own you"
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:46am
Be patient, lots of old folks around here are in bed already. I'm sure you'll have an answer in the morning if not sooner.

I'm almost positive there are threads on this if you haven't searched give it a try. Heat is always a good option if you have a torch.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:47am
if im in bed this early, you know what im doin
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:52am
you know thats right ...Donald has the right idea a steering wheel puller is about 20bucks and you can return it if you want
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benrankin33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:59am
I read the response @ the coupler puller, but I guess I need pictures, Donald i will email u. Eric I have removed rudder and all coupler bolts, bailing wire etc. nothing will budge,have i forgot somthing.And by the way thanks for everyones patience with me,first nautique.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 1:06am
Ben,

I will send you a drawing in the morning. The coupler is on with a Taper Fit. It is a PITA. If your Drive Shaft is bent. The new ones have a different setup.

Donald
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

To put it back together some put the shaft in the oven and the coupling in the freezor and the quickly put them back together.

Actually I think you got that backwards. You want to put the shaft in the freezer and the coupler in the oven. Metal does the opposite in that it SHRINKS when cold and EXPANDS when it's hot. We used to soak wing to fuselage attach bolts in liquid nitrogen to shrink them before we drove them in place on a 727. It made the job less easier and didn't need quite the hammer to get em to go in. Here in the shop we have liquid nitrogen on hand and the machine shop is constantly tapping into our supply to shrink the bushings they manufacture before installing them in engine cases.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 9:50am
or call A.R.E and buy a double taper shaft, he is out in Oregon and the place is called Elberts, Cecil is the owner
there is no easy way to gat the coupling on, unless you do what they say above, no knicks can be on the shaft or the coupling will stop half way, then your really screwed
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benrankin33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 10:12am
I cant get the coupler to seperate from trans. coupler.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 10:26am
Take a old wood chisel and hammer to the parting line betwen the two halves. It's common for them to be rusted together.

Next issue will be the coupling half removal from the prop shaft. It's not threaded and not tapered unless someones put a ARE shaft in it. It is a shrink to fit.
Using the search, here's a thread that may help
Here's the thread with the sketch of the "long threaded rod trick"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 11:01am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

if im in bed this early, you know what im doin

Eric,
From some of your comments you've made lately, the key word in your above stated is "if"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

The coupler is on with a Taper Fit. It is a PITA. If your Drive Shaft is bent. The new ones have a different setup.

Donald

only if it has been replaced with a taper shaft, the orginal shaft's and even some replacement shafts are straight with a slight press fit and keyway.

Also if you are using the threaded rod method make sure the solid piece be it bar stock or a socket the O.D. has to be 7/8" or smaller or it's never going to work.

You might have to use a rubber mallet to get the coupling halfs to seperate as they like to rust up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 11:44am
I've got to get our IT guy up here to check my computer. It's got a echo on it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

hey that wasn't posted when I started to type
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

hey that wasn't posted when I started to type

Chris,
Sounds like you type like I do!! 28 minutes?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 2:01pm
No it's just switch to work related stuff then back to the important stuff.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 2:30pm
It's probably not a double taper, since he did mention the word "bailingwire"
Worst case senario of coupler gaulding, either cut the shaft and buy a new one, or pull the engine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

It's probably not a double taper, since he did mention the word "bailingwire"
Worst case senario of coupler gaulding, either cut the shaft and buy a new one, or pull the engine.

Why, you like pissing money away?

get the half seperated hards part of the job sometimes, then use a puller and it come right apart, no need to remove the engine or cut the shaft. You need to work smarter than work harder.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 2:50pm
Worst case senario, meaning stuck so hard that a puller will bend the coupler anyway.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Worst case senario, meaning stuck so hard that a puller will bend the coupler anyway.

well if you don't know what your doing and grabing it by the flang instead of the meaty section of the coupling but worst case get a new coupling or have the old one faced which you should have done anyway.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benrankin33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 7:08pm
Guys thank you for all the info.,amazed @ the knowledge out there, it has been very helpful! In case anyone is wondering, I cut out the drive shaft, going to order double taper shaft and dripless. Is OJ dripless seal a good one.I noticed it about 50 bucks cheaper than PSS seal any info?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 8:46pm
Ben,
Just FYI if you don't want to or don't have the cash to spend on the dripless, the way to go is with the Gortex GFO packing in the existing stuffing box. Personally, I feel the dripless is over rated and really not needed.

Good news on the ARE shaft. That is a very nice product.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benrankin33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 9:46pm
I would rather not spend the money, but I don't like water in the bilge. Is there a clear advatage to dripless seal vs the gortex packing?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 10:54pm
Ben,
Since you're putting the double taper shaft in and it makes pulling the shaft coupling easy and fast so I suggest you try the Gortex first. Then, if you don't like 1 drip per minute you can easily put in the drippless system.

What's the problem with water in the bilge? You do realize it is more the norm for a boat!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benrankin33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 11:34pm
I think I will take your advice with the gortex, I have worked very hard in my other boats to eliminate water in the bilges. It has cost me alot of money in the past, but being a boat owner I know the old saying. Guess I'am just anal about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic