Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Cable for 66 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mustang 66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang 66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Cable for 66 Mustang
    Posted: March-15-2009 at 4:10am
Hi Guys,

I have a 1966 Mustang and my steering cable has always been tough to move back and forth.
Now after sitting for the winter her in Minnesota it has frozen up completly. I removed the cable and it looks original with
a for bolt white pivot that mounts to a ball on the stringer and a spring loaded clip that
mounts it the the ball on the rudder arm. I can't seem to find any numbers or lettering on either the cable or the steering unit behind the wheel. Does anyone know who made the cable, part #'s and where to get a new one? I would appreciate any help!!!

Thanks,

Pat
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2009 at 11:19am
Try SkiDim. Vince will help you select the right one.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2009 at 11:45am
I think I got mine from SkiDim also. I can get the part number later today. I think it was the 17ft. one, not positive. I believe I had the original in our 68, too. It was a faded blue/hospital green color. I ran into three issues. First, you need to order the clevis kit (not really a problem). Second, the tube on the cable that gets clamped into the clamp block is not removeable. Therefore, you need to also buy a tube. Third, once I had the tube installed, it was not quite as long as the original and I did not have enough throw to make an even swing between left and right steering. I did not feel the cable would throw out enough to make turning left what it once was. Because I was under the floor fixing everything my solution was to move the clamp block rearward about 2.5 inches. This gave me what I wanted for the port swing on the rudder, and gave me a little room to adjust it back if necessary.

Are you able to access the back of your stringer to get at the bolthead?
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2009 at 1:52pm
The 16' Correct Crafts used generic 16' Teleflex cables. $98 from Go2Marine

Like Slayer said, you may also need the Teleflex Clevis Kit.

You should be able to reuse the clamp tube from your old cable, but I bet Go2Marine carries that as well if you need one.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2009 at 7:01pm
Measure and mark your entire pivot range on the rudder port. I did not do so, which may have led to my thinking. Just did not look like it sent far enough to me.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang 66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2009 at 7:08pm
Thanks for the help with the steering cable guys!! I ordered up one today on Go2Marine with the Clevis kit. While working on the mustang today I noticed that the hose around the shaft log (not sure if this is the correct term ?? or the area where the shaft passes through the hull) is full of cracks and needs to be replaced. I removed the clamps and carefully trimed the excess glass from the bottom of the hose and clamp. Then I disconnected the trans coupling, however I was woundering how to remove the shaft side of the trans coupling that is keyed. I don't want to risk damaging something thats why I am coming to this wealth of knowledge. Also what do you guys recommend for the shaft packing, just put new packing in the nut or use a shaft seal like I have seen on SkiDim?
As always thanks for the help!!!

Pat
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2009 at 7:42pm
Pat,
Here's the spacer and long bolt trick used to remove the shaft coupling:

The coupling to the shaft should be a interference fit so they can be difficult at times to remove. If your's comes off easy and there's a black "smut" at the bore of the coupling and on the shaft then the coupling has fretted due to bad shaft to engine alignment. Hopefully you'll be ok. Get out the micrometer and measure. The bore should be .0005 to .001 under the shaft. Now, since it a shrink fit, to get the coupling back on, you'll need to heat the coupling in your oven at about 450 degrees for several hours. This will allow you to slip the coupling on the shaft before it cools.

Before you go to put the coupling back on, you should check the face to make sure you haven't warped it when removing it. A flat file accross the face is the easiest but chucking it up in the lath and using a dial indicator is best. If it is warped, then it needs to be pressed on the shaft and a facing cut taken to true it up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2009 at 8:05pm
I changed mine not too long ago on my 66 Mustang. The hard steering on mine was broken wire in a ball inside the helm. I would recommend taking it apart and cleaning out the old grease. You will need a new support tube also because the where the cable attaches to it will be different. I think my old cable screwed on the inside of the tube and the new one was made to screw on the outside, anyway the original was the opposite of the new cable.

and you will need a clevis kit to attach the new style cable to the rudder arm.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang 66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2009 at 11:51pm
OK I got the shaft off thanks to Peter's handy trick with the spacer and two bolts.
The couler is about a little less than 0.001 smaller than the shaft so I should be ok there, but now you have me worried that I might have warped the face. What is the best way to check it if I don't have a lathe to chuck it up in? Also any advice on old style shaft packing vs. the new style seals that SkiDim offers.

Thanks,

Pat
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2009 at 10:45am
Pat - You could check your flange for warp by holding it up to the mating trans flange & checking for a gap with a feeler gage. Should not be able to slide a .001 feeler in anywhere.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic