NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Manifold Gaskets?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manifold Gaskets?
    Posted: February-11-2010 at 3:02pm
I was wondering when should you have your manifold gaskets serviced? I was talking to someone on this, said that it could be possible for them to rust due to water staying in the manifolds. And then water can eventually after a while if not serviced, water can shoot into the engine, and not out the exhaust where it needs to go. I was told too, that to see if, you pull the 2 spark plugs in the middle of each side, and see water, you could then see your manifold gaskets need to be replaced.What is the deal on this?   
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 4:33pm
stop talking to that person, they have no clue.

The water jacket on the exhaust is completely sealed and can only go out the top thru the riser, so if you pull a spark plug and see water then the manifold is cracked and needs replaced or you have a cracked head or blown head gasket.

The exhaust manifold gasket only needs replaced if it is leaking exhaust fumes which you should be able to hear very easily. So unless you can hear and feel the exhaust coming out one of the runners where they meet the head, leave them alone.

Very bad info you recieved not even close to reality.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 4:37pm
Im guessing he's talking about manifold riser gaskets. Yes, those should be replaced if they show any signs of leaking as they can lead to the problems you described.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 4:40pm
Thanks Chris,
I apperciate the advice. I had a funny feeling about manifolds gaskets needed to be replaced every so often.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Im guessing he's talking about manifold riser gaskets. Yes, those should be replaced if they show any signs of leaking as they can lead to the problems you described.

TR,
Yes sir, thats the part. By looking at the manifolds, if you see water rust lines, then they are do.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 4:52pm
Thats correct. If you see rust stains then they should be replaced. While water leaking from the water jackets to the exterior isnt a problem, there is a good chance theyre leaking to the inside as well- which is a problem.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 5:07pm
TR,
Ok, i will check those. thanks
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

guess I'm used to refering to it as a riser gasket and not a manifold gasket.

But one other thing when you replace them make sure that the surface is flat on the mainfold and riser before you put them back together. Otherswise you'll still have a leak. For reference the front passage is blocked off when you install the new riser gaskets.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 5:32pm
they need to be sanded all the way down to the metal and flat, correct. Then place the new gasket on top and place manifold back on.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 5:52pm
I would scrape off the gasket then lay a straight edge on the surface to check for flatness, If it needs to be trued up then use a hard flat block to wrap the sand paper around to make sure you keep it straight and flat as your sanding it down.

You want to check both surfaces, the mainfold and the riser.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

For reference the front passage is blocked off when you install the new riser gaskets.

Uh, I dont think so. SkiDIM says to block of the back (outlet side).

http://skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1109

Makes sense, as the outlet side is lower and would be the path of least resistance- so the top wouldnt get sufficient flow. By blocking it, water is forced to the top of the riser and allowed to spill down.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 6:58pm
my fault thought it was the front as that is the entry port for the water and it wouldn't get to back of the manifold.

thanks for the correction Tim.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 7:33pm
That makes since... I will work on mine this weekend. I will use a leveler to make sure both ends are flat and even.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2010 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

I will use a leveler to make sure both ends are flat and even.

Lee,
See if you can find a decent straight edge like the steel ruler off a combination square. I'm not too sure what you mean by a "leveler" but it doesn't sound too precise of a edge to me.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2010 at 7:03pm
Lee
when addressing this task, you might end up with some broken bolts, specially the back ones that are longer(at least they are in mine). They tend to rust and freeze in there and when unbolting them then break, It hapenned to me.
squirt some PB blaster and hit them with a hammer to loosen them, and then unbolt them slowly.
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2010 at 9:37pm
Sebastian,
Thanks for telling me about those bolts. I got not room for error on doing that. I am going to check those out this weekend. I hope it is not a difficult job. If it seems to be to diffucult, I have someone that said they would put new gaskets and file that down where it needs to be. Said it would cost a couple 100..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 12:50pm
If I was you I would save that couple 100 and order the gaskets and do it yourself, it's a very simple job. The hardest part is getting the exhaust hose off and you don't actually have to remove it but it is much easier if you do.

You'll need a box end wrench, the thinner it's wall is the better, to get the bolts out, a putty knife/gasket scraper to remove the gasket and a striaght edge and sanding block and paper to square it up if it needs it. Once you get it loose then you can use the open end part of the wrench you run the risk of rounding off the head if you start with the open end first then it's a real bear to remove if that happens, so be sure and have a good quality box end wrench to use.

But all you have to do is soak the bolt heads with PB balster or simular liquid wrench type oil, spray the gap too. Then remove the four bolts attaching the riser to the mainfold. If a bolt is being stuborn go slow and respray the bolt with the PB blaster ever turn or so to help it along and to prevent breakage. It takes a little time because you can only get a half turn or so out of it due to no space to swing the wrench much further so don't be in a hurry.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 1:02pm
It's not a hard job, if the bolts are still hard to remove after soaking and tapping turn it in (tighten) just a little to help clear the threads and install new bolts too.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 2:48pm
Chris and Andy,
Yes sir thanks a bunch for that info. I will use it this weekend. I am getting those new gaskets tom, and will do the job saturday morning. PB Blaster i guess you can get at any marine store or hardware store?
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 3:55pm
Lee,
Glad to see you're going to try this yourself. The $200 sounds pretty steep! Was it quoted to you by the same person that said the gaskets should be changed?

The PB can be found at almost any store - even Walmart. I find that Kroil is better but that's only available direct on line plus you would need to wait for it.

I'd like to reinforce Chris on the importance of getting a high quality box wrench in there. A "top shelf" wrench will have a slimmer cross section to get onto the bolt head in the tight area of the rear bolts but also be strong (high quality forged). A 6 point wrench would be best but I don't feel you would get the swing needed so use a 12 point. Borrow one if you don't already have a good set. Do not try to use a open end wrench.

You know there's always someone around here incase you run into a problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 4:17pm
As Pete pointed out the wrench makes a hugh difference on this job the standard Craftsman wrench won't work usually because there's too much metal on the wrench. They do carry a proffessional grade wrench and by the looks of it it should work fine and you do want a 12pt too. I have snap-on wrenchs and they'll work fine, matco's too. I would start with what you have and see if the wrench fits squarely on the bolt head on all four bolts on both sides and if it does then your good if not then you'll see what we are refering too with a clearance issue. i don't remember but I beleive you can get a couple of them off with a socket but maybe not it's been some time since i took one apart.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 4:46pm
Pete and Chris,
alright.. so I Can find that PB Blaster at Wal-Mart.. Great my favorite store.. I get that today. On this 6 point or 12pt metal wrench, you say with a 12 pt i will not get enough swing for the rear bolts. Will I need both these wrenches to do the job, or will the 6 pt do it ok. Sounds like the hard part is the rear bolts. Which one is better? And which brand you guys like best, I might pick one up, and keep for the future.. Chris mentioned metco..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 4:55pm
i think i have a 6 but not a 12..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 4:58pm
it was MATCO BTW, you don't want the 6 point box end wrench you'll have trouble finding one to start with most are 12 pt.

Choice's

Snap-on
Matco
Mac
Sear's professional series.

so really your limited to sears to be honest just make sure it's the professional series, it'll be smoother and shinnier than the stand forged wrenches they sell. If you have a friend that is a mechanic then one of the professional tool salemen might call on them weekly so you might be able to pick one up that way since they are usually sold off of trucks and not in a store.

the six point limits the angle that you can actually fit the wrench on the bolt's hex head so it might take a bit longer using it but if that is what you have and it's thin enough in the right area then there really isn't a need to buy a new one then just make do with what you have.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 5:22pm
Lee,
If you do have a 6 point, see if it will fit and use it at least to break the bolt loose. I wouldn't say they are difficult to find but yes harder to find. Chris is correct that the 12 point is more common.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 5:30pm
Question - Having never changed mine. Want to know if a thin-wall 12pt socket on an extension would work?
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 5:34pm
Steve, Good Question?!
ok, i will see if i can find a 12 pt wrench some place, chris said sears.. I hope they got one..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Behl Behl wrote:

Question - Having never changed mine. Want to know if a thin-wall 12pt socket on an extension would work?

Steve,I
It's the two bolts on the aft end of a riser style manifold. They are in a pocket in the side of the casting so no you can't get a socket on them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Steve, Good Question?!
ok, i will see if i can find a 12 pt wrench some place, chris said sears.. I hope they got one..

just make sure it's the professional model look at it online first so you know what the two look like, the one you want is polished and not a rough cast looking wrench which is the standard Craftsman wrench
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 5:54pm
How bout these?

http://home.pronto.com/mpm/pa-12-pt-wrench/aq-_SIZE_12-_USIZE_point_pint_port-_HN_wrench/c-v1_11_107_670?adid=s10-173-6037-10_gs
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic