Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Watersking In Chicago

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
ski247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Watersking In Chicago
    Posted: November-01-2009 at 3:55pm
This is the first time I have every posted on a forum so here goes.

I have a 99 ski Nautique with 400 hours in perfect shape that I ski behind every summer. I have lived in a small city most of my life so getting the to a course has been fairly easy.

Recently my job has transfered me to Chicago (I have never lived in a big city). My office is downtown so I am thinking it might be tough to find a good place to ski.    I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on where to ski or where I can live so I can get to a good ski lake. I might try to live in Bucktown, or near the shore for a year or so but I am up for the suburbs if I can still ski.

Thanks for the help.

Paul     
The point of life is not to arrive in the grave in a well preserved body, but to slide in totally worn out shouting "holy sh#@ what a ride"
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2009 at 4:29pm
Paul, welcome aboard . You have found a site that may fill all your needs, and intrests. There are a few here that live in and around your area that will chine in as to when and where to enjoy your new home.
The season there is short but lottsa winter things to do there we dont have in the deep south......SNOW......ICE......SKATES......SLEDS......BLIZZARDS......
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2009 at 5:29pm

Welcome Paul, There are several guys who live not far from you, give them some time and they will chime in here I'm sure after the games.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2009 at 7:49pm
Paul,
Yes, welcome from me too!

I'd guess there are at least 30 hard core CCfan'rs in and around the Chicago area so I'm sure some ideas will come up.

If you find a place in Bucktown, have you done any searching for a spot to keep the boat? At a marina or would you be trailering from were ever you store it. If you are looking at a garage in the Bucktown area, be real careful and measure the length. The garages are older and shorter!!

Be patient and I know you'll get some idea on lakes from other members. Personally, I don't do much boating in the area to come up with any ideas except most of the lakes are to the north of the Chicago metro area.

What area are you coming in from?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2009 at 9:22pm
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2009 at 10:36pm
Paul,

Watch the chicago beers thread in the "Off Topic" section. I believe the Chicago crew is talking about getting together for happy hour in a week or two. If they got a ggod group, there is bound to be some of the skiers there.
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2009 at 10:56pm
That picture is AWESOME!
My Blue 82SOLD!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 10:40am
Paul,

Welcome to Chicago! There are many options for places to Ski, Lake Michigan can sometimes be an option, boat traffic is generally never an issue but waves/choppy unsafe water can often be a problem, the Chicago river, in Tim's picture above, have skied it and it's not a very good option, no wakes, narrow areas, hard walls and sometimes floating debris. Living downtown is great if you are single or just want to enjoy the city however keeping/storing a vehicle and boat can be a bit of a challenge and expensive.
Once you get away from the city there are many options, however as Pete mentioned most are north and west. If you decide to live in the Burbs the train service in/out of the city is pretty good (I use it most days). To the west the Fox River has boatable water in various communities like St Charles and Elgin, the river North of Algonquin road is boatable all the way past the Wisco line. In my area there are many small lakes and also the Chain of Lakes. Another option is there is a private ski club near Volo and another in Libertyville if all you do is ski the course. Lot's more to tell depending on what direction sounds interesting to you.

BTW, the people in this city are great IMHO, met many through this site and skiing and the Chicago contingent is a really good one, Pete, Alan, Mojo, Joel, Gary x2, Dave, Ken, Scott, Hollywood, Johnny & the PLBC crew, to name a few

Chris
ski247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 11:27am
Thanks for the reply. Thanks for the options sounds like I have a few. From the way it sounds I might be better off storing the boat and truck near a lake and spend the weekends sking rather then the evenings during the week. I will for sure look up those areas when I get into town.   

I will be in Chicago in mid-Feb so hopefully I can start to meet some of the sking crowd when I arrive. I had a great group in Columbus, Ohio.

Sweet sking pic on the river.     
The point of life is not to arrive in the grave in a well preserved body, but to slide in totally worn out shouting "holy sh#@ what a ride"
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 12:14pm
You're in good company. Plenty of skiing in "Lake" county IL, north of Chicago and as Quinner said the Metra system is great for getting in and out of the city. We have good private clubs and good public water too. It took us a long time to find it all but the work has already been done for you at this point!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 12:50pm
Paul;

Welcome to the site, and Chicago. I live out in Cary (near Crystal Lake) in the far Northwest suburbs. Some nice options out this way. Some very nice boatable, and skiable sections of the Fox River out here starting at Algonquin and going north into Wisconsin, as has been mentioned. Very rough on weekends, unless you get out there at the crack of dawn. I would find a place to keep it out here, and take the train out (or drive out) and use it. It would be a major hassle to keep in downtown and tow it out each time, in my opinion.

If you want to go further north, you could tow it to Lake Geneva, WI (a large rough lake most of the time), but absolutely gorgeous, .....or to Delavan Lake, in Delavan, WI. A smaller lake that may be more conducive for water skiing than Lake Geneva.

There is also a ski club out here in the NW burbs that I use. They have an '06 Ski Nautique, a private lake, and a slalom course. Not exactly cheap, but, when you look what you get, it could be considered a bargain. Many people that live downtown come out and ski at the club. You can't use your boat at this ski site though.

Good luck, and keep in touch. I can get you some names of marinas out this way if you decided to keep it at a marina with in/out service. And, I would be MORE than happy to be a spotter should you need one
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 2:24pm
Keeping a boat in Bucktown is not even an option IMO.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Keeping a boat in Bucktown is not even an option IMO.

Neither is skiing on Lake Michigan.. Yes, he'll want to find a lake he likes in the burbs etc and store it out there at a marina for sure... Parking, manuvering etc etc will be a nightmare in the city.

Hey, at least we have another drink'n member and future recruit for GL 2010 LOL...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 3:00pm
Oh yeah Paul....forgot to mention the Chain of Lakes up in Fox Lake. An absolute madhouse on weekends, but LOTS of fun. And, if you do get to the Chain of Lakes......Two Words: Blarney Island

Blarney Island
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

.....or to Delavan Lake, in Delavan, WI. A smaller lake that may be more conducive for water skiing than Lake Geneva.

Doesn't the lake still have a weed issue?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 3:15pm
Pete....I was up there several times this year. All in all, a very clean lake. There may be a weed issue at the far end in a small area. But, the main body of the lake is good. I really like that lake, and lots of classic Correct Crafts up there. Lake Lawn Lodge on Delavan is one of our families favorite getaway spots.

I believe that quite a few years ago, they drained the lake to kill the weeds, and get rid of junk fish. Its good now.
ski247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 11:30pm
Blarney Island? Sounds like I will need a someone to navigate home a trip to this island.

Thanks everyone for all the great information.

I am always looking for some drinking buddies so I will always be up for some social events. As for a second or even a third I am sure I will need people when I arrive. Hopefully I can start to meet everyone when I arrive in Feb. I will keep you updated on where I end up living.

Sounds like a great crowd looking forward to meeting everyone.

Paul   

skierbrant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 3:42am
Doesn't it have to be warm for the weeds to grow? Maybe that's why there wasn't a weed issue this summer
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 12:18am
My brother owns 2 bars downtown. The High Dive, great wings. And the Rocking Horse. The horse is a younger crowd. The Dive is more town-ey but cool. He lives on Lawrence 1 block off LSD.
My Blue 82SOLD!
ski247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 4:56pm
Sounds great I will for sure stop by and have a few.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 5:19pm
Paul,
Watch for the "Chicago Beers" thread in the Off Topic section. Over the winter we usually get together monthly to kill some brain cells and to complain about not boating Ha.. See you soon..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

502Python View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2009 at 10:14pm
Ski247, I live 60 miles south of Chicago and work in the city. I have a few ideas (and calm water) down by my place. Shoot me an email and I can get you set up and probably even find a place for you to store your boat til spring.
1999 Sport Nautique-Python Powered

1999 Ski Nautique-Python Powered
ski247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2009 at 7:03pm
502 Python

Always looking for more spots to ski. I think I am going to keep my boat in Ohio until ski season starts. I am looking for a place to store the boat and possibly the truck when the season starts. Hopefully when I get to Chicago in Feb I can make one of the monthy meetings to meet the local ski crowd. My email is pl650796@hotmail.com. Let me know you suggestions I am all ears when it comes to skiing.

502Python View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2009 at 8:37pm
I have a place you can keep your boat 1hr from Chicago during the skiing months if interested. When you get to town let's meet up for lunch downtown. I'll shoot you an email.

bigwavedave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigwavedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2009 at 12:04pm
Another voice from south Chicagoland. I live on a 3-mile long private stripmine lake that is fabulous skiing. You are welcome to come visit any time. It would be super for weekend skiing. You can buy houses here for the low 200's up to 1.5 million. Lots anywhere from 60,000 on up. Feel free to give me a call if you want to come see us! 815-953-1823.
bigwavedave
502Python View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2009 at 6:06pm
Dave, are you near Wilmington/Essex/Coal City??

ski247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2009 at 10:51am
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like South Chicago is the place to ski. I will for sure give you a call sometime. You can send me an email at pl650796@hotmail.com. Later
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2009 at 7:24pm
i feel sorry for anyone who has to settle for the fox river. it's so nasty and i see the scumiest boats i've seen in my life on the chain O'Lakes plus it tends to be dangerous with all the drunken morons. my advice, stay away from the chain unless your want a skin rash.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2009 at 11:27am
Wow Phospher, little harsh there man.

Skied a bunch on the Fox many years ago, have yet to experience the "skin rash" as mentioned. Some great water and skiers can be found in the early AM on weekends however after 10am it does tend to get pretty busy. Not a good solution for a weekend afternoon set but really how many public rivers/lakes in the Chicagoland area are?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2009 at 11:47am
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

i feel sorry for anyone who has to settle for the fox river. it's so nasty and i see the scumiest boats i've seen in my life on the chain O'Lakes plus it tends to be dangerous with all the drunken morons. my advice, stay away from the chain unless your want a skin rash.

Phil,
I've got to agree with CQ here! Yes you are a little harsh but I do agree on several points. The most dangerous time is when Blarneys island closes for the night and yes the chain can get very busy. I personally avoid boating it but for some it may be the only option. Now, you mustn't have been on the chain in a couple of years because I understand the water is now very clean to the point where you can see the bottom in many spots. Zebra mussels!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic