NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

68 Chris Craft

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 8>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 1:20pm
I feel you're asking for spraying problems with the airless. The HVLP I used once (not on spar varnish - never even considered it - won't work)and couldn't stand the thing maybe because I'm so used to the conventional. I couldn't handle the spray pattern.

Don't worry about your brushing technique. By the time you get to about coat number 7 or 8, you'll be a pro! Don't forget that everyone now does wet sand and buff their brightwork!! Makes up for lots of oops's!

I'd get at least the base coats on the hull sides now (about 5). The hull is in a better position for brushing. Then flip and do the finals.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 1:58pm
Ok, You guys are now scaring me.

If you are truly using a "Paste Wood Filler Stain" You can't spray it.
You'll ruin a perfectly good spray gun.   
It's heavy and settles fast. Keep stirring while brushing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Ok, You guys are now scaring me.

If you are truly using a "Paste Wood Filler Stain" You can't spray it.
You'll ruin a perfectly good spray gun.   
It's heavy and settles fast. Keep stirring while brushing.

Al,
I went back and took a look at where Sean mentioned spraying. He said both stain and varnish and I never commented on the stain since it went right over my head!!

Sean,
If you stain and not fill the Mahogany, what are your plans for the open grain? This furniture guy you've been talking to doesn't sound like he's ever done a wood boat!!! (or a filled piece of furiture ether) Al is correct that a filler stain can not be sprayed. Go back and read some more of Don's book to get a better idea of the process before you go off in a bad direction.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 2:41pm
And yes, I'd flip it back over, but finish the bottom paint first.
Or at least get it down to only one coat left.

Here's what scares me about the CPES between the stain and varnish.
Ok, The paste wood filler has already filled the grain. Thus, stopping the CPES from doing it's job.   Of coarse as per Dr.Brainard stated, let the paste dry for at least two weeks. If you're doing this professionally, you better have something else to do while waiting for this process.
And I would question the long term "stick-ability" of the varnish on top of epoxy.
I would surely do some testing on a "vertical" sample, to make sure the CPES will not pull the paste filler.
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 3:29pm
I must have missed the paste stain thing, I better go back and re read that chapter, its been a few months and a lot of 5200 ago.

Like Ive said before, im a welder, this whole wood thing is new to me and I have not even figured out what open grain is yet.

And no, we not doing this professionally, this is a project I never really wanted to do but am working on in my "spare" time for my wife.

I will go back to reading tonight.
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 4:25pm
Stang,   Open grain   Bare wood

Just sayin',   I'm sure you could imagine waiting two weeks for welds to cool before continuing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

And yes, I'd flip it back over, but finish the bottom paint first.
Or at least get it down to only one coat left.

Here's what scares me about the CPES between the stain and varnish.
Ok, The paste wood filler has already filled the grain. Thus, stopping the CPES from doing it's job.   Of coarse as per Dr.Brainard stated, let the paste dry for at least two weeks. If you're doing this professionally, you better have something else to do while waiting for this process.
And I would question the long term "stick-ability" of the varnish on top of epoxy.
I would surely do some testing on a "vertical" sample, to make sure the CPES will not pull the paste filler.

Al,
I'm getting the impression you don't like Dannenberg or his techniques? Jealousy? You sure shouldn't be because you sure have done some beautiful work.

"Dr.Brainard"? Sounds like you're being "short" with me here! No need to go there - I didn't come across the CPES method and am simply stating a proven method. I wish I had and then wouldn't be dealing with the "suck back" issues!! My last down to bare wood was before the CPES technique.

Two weeks for the filler stain to dry. Yes, when needed it's something that can be planned around. Other work areas on a restoration are always there. If you're into this trade professionally, hopefully you have more than 1 boat project. I saw several at one time in the pictures you posted.

CPES as a primer is excellent. Same principle as using a sealer such as Pettit 2018. The 2018 has some pretty aggressive solvents in it as well. If you use a varnish at a 50% reduction it too is pretty aggresive. Yes, the CPES will saturate into both the filler and wood stabilizing/sealing it just as the 2018 does.

If you're really concerned about filler and stain pull out, then the roll and tip method sure would be good to look into. You just need two people!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 5:33pm
Sean,
Look at some bare wood of different species. Some will be smooth tight grained without open pores and other will be open. As a example, Maple and Birch will be closed grain/smooth. Oak and Mahogany will be open/rough. These open pores need to be filled in order to get the varnish finish to be smooth without the grain showing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 6:35pm
doesent the cpes close the grain when it soaks in and sets?
Boat Pics
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 6:40pm
Pete,   no,no,no, wrong impression, Dr.Brainard was meant complimentary.
Being an Engineer, I know you are a very intelligent person.

I've never read any thing from Dannenberg.

All of my info comes from 22 years of hands on experience. You see, from the two Correct Craft dealers that I had worked for, one was also a long time Chris Craft dealer/restorer, the other a long time Century dealer/restorer.

I had never even intended on putting up any wood related pics or discussion on this site.   I think you may have kicked it off from the whole Cutwater thing.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 8:57pm
Al,
Thank's for the explanation. It was very appreciated. Getting to correct idea/impression across in words is sometimes a problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 8:59pm
Sean,
No, the CPES doesn't fill the grain. It soaks into the wood. Varnish won't do it ether unless you put like 20 coats on and sanding 18 of them off flat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 11:00am
All right, we regrouped a little and re read the next section, I think we are back on track. I have the paste coming and we are working on the color we want. Thanks, both of you, I dont want to miss something.

We are sanding the final shape into the boat this week and hope to do the bleach and stain the following week. I found the old pics of the boat as we were tearing it down, follow the link to the rest of them, to many to post here I think.

boat pics
Boat Pics
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 1:39pm
Stang, I want your chrome plated Morse control!

I found one a long time ago in a rotten 15' Cavalier, didn't grab it.
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 10:54am
I think i will keep it, i need to dig that stuff out and see what needs plated again and what will polish up. last time we did chrome on a car it took almost a year to get it done and back. I need to layout the water line this week and get ready to bleach and stain next week. really on a push to flip this thing...
Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 1:45pm
Finished the long board sanding and shaping yesterday and marked out the waterline again. This morning we used a two part wood kote bleach to lighten up the three darked boards. 72 hours from now we are going to start the filler stain process and hopefully get to some color by the weekend. Im ordering bottom paint and primer tonight as well as some spar varnish so we should be moving towards the flip. probably wont make it by april 1st like i hoped but it should not be far off.

ill try and get a few more pics posted, they have been piling up in facebook just because its easier to post them there from my phone. all this tech stuff kinda overloads my brain.
Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 2:18pm

Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 2:58pm

Bleaching worked pretty well, you can tell from the previous picture how much it lightened up. The dark board is under paint so we did not bother bleaching it . Stain tonight I hope
Boat Pics
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 11:15pm
Sean, Results of the bleach look good, I was a little worried for you with those color variations.

Did you use african or genuine mahogany for the topsides?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 1:15am

We got the filler stain on tonight, ran out of battery before we finished so ill get the rest in the morning. Looks pretty good the darker bleached boards did take stain a little different than the rest so we had to wipe them down with thinner to lighten the stain back up there. Its very close now. Cant really see it in the picture and after a little more work we should be ready to cpes the whole thing and start laying on the paint and varnish.

We used the African on all of it, we will see how that matches up when we flip it and replace the plywood on the deck with strips. Schooner varnish did not show up yet so it will be a little longer til we get it ready to flip. I really want to make it there before we quit for the summer. Racing and baseball seasons are a week away so progress is about to screetch to a halt. I am looking forward to opening up the cottage and getting the dock in next week though.
Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 6:31pm

almost done for the winter, i want to get a couple more coats on it this week and flip it, then it will probably sit till next winter when i have time again to work on it.

I did drag the mustang into the shop yesterday so i can rebuild the carb and dump it in the lake here directly. time to shift gears.
Boat Pics
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 8:58pm
Sean,
Lookin good!! I too was worried about the bleach working as good as it did.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 11:11pm
No one has been as worried as me! Im used to painting cars where everything is the same, this natural wood grain stuff is hard to deal with. The previously darker boards have a different grain pattern from the rest of the boards and bug me a lot but its to late to change that. Ill know better for the topside work. Its been a learning experience for sure, one i honestly hope to not repeat. I like a challenge but this one has been a whopper.

Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2010 at 6:28pm
Well, racing season is over for us now and the Mustang is pulled out of the lake and put to bed for the winter so I guess it means itsw time to start the push to finish the chris. I invited a few friends over this Friday for beer and steak and we will see if we can get this thing up and over Friday night so we can get started on the top side. I think the topside ought to go a lot faster than the bottom and sides did. Maybe 2011 will be the year she makes it back into the water. I'm sure I will have some pictures over the weekend of the flip and the top side. Im looking forward to seeing the top once again but it is nice to see something finished when I sit in my chair and stare as well.
Boat Pics
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2010 at 6:58pm
Awesome! Cant wait to see the results!
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2010 at 2:52pm

Finally we made the flip! not a pretty to look at as the finished bottom was but i think this side will be a bit easier to finish as there are less compound curves and we have a lot more experiance than we did 2 years ago. It was a great boat flippin party, we had about 8 guys and 6 gals there to help move cushions around as we flipped it. We had the double barrel margereta machine fired up, steaks on the grill and the shooting gallery open for the evening.

Its the first party Ive had in years where the police showed up... I figured he would be more upset with all the guys sporting pistols and margs but he just wanted to look at the boat he had heard about. Hopefully we get a good push going here this winter and get this one wrapped up.
Boat Pics
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2010 at 2:57pm
Boats, Booze and guns....sounds like a fun party

Are you going to use the original wood from the deck or are you replacing? Looking good
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2010 at 3:23pm
Well, dont tell Mr Brainard, but I am planning on making a small change to the deck. I want to replace the plywood inserts with mahogony and finish them. I never liked the Vinyl deck, always thought it made it look cheap. The good news is I can always cover it over If I change my mind down the road. Its kind of a shame since there are so few of these around from 68 but i think it was a less desirable boat that way and if I plan to keep it it might just as well be the way I want it.
Boat Pics
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2010 at 4:44pm
I think somethings wrong with my computer or the net has scrambled up the wording in the above post??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2010 at 11:48am
When I get that front Deck pulled up I may get the urge to convert it to an open Bow and build a roll bar out of the left over 2x4s and mahogany i have lying around it weighs enough to be a tug boat... maybe even pull some tubers
Boat Pics
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic