Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

68 Chris Craft

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 8>
Author
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2009 at 2:12pm
Morning and a happy 08 to ya! I did one more thing last night after the pics, in dannenburgs book he recomends wetting the bottom before leaving to swell the boards a little and set them into the 5200. I went back this morning to look and was amazed at how much they swelled and oozed 5200 out of all the seams. up to 1/2" in some spots! Ill leave it covered today and wet to help the process then uncover and start the triming and fairing this weekend.

It was a solid 8 hours to put the bottom on and screw it off with 2 and sometimes 3 of us working on it.

I really hope 09 sees the completion of this project...
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2009 at 3:43pm
75 - What Craftsmanship! Just imagine what it would cost to pay someone to do this for you. They probably wouldn't do as good of job either.

No offense Eric!
β€œBeer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2009 at 4:46pm
your not hurting my feelings, when its a hobby the hours dont matter. I qouted a guy 7000.00 to do a complete transom job, I qouted high cause the rot was going around the corners and to try to avoid the job...the guy said OK, the boat finished wasnt worth 7k and I gulped and backed out politely. ends up through the marine repair place that had me qoute it told me the guy did finally have it repaired from a guy in his backyard at his leisure and said he did a beautiful job, charged him 800.00.
I guess the point is time is money and when its a hobby time doesnt matter.
"the things you own will start to own you"
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2009 at 4:57pm
Dannenburg wanted $7500 to put the bottom on to the point it is right now plus materials, Jack at the wooden boat shop said probably 60k to finish the whole boat. Its a terrible investment in a boat that wont bring 12k in top shape, but its family...
Boat Pics
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2009 at 9:27pm
I completely understand Sean, dont look at it as a poor investment, look at it as therapy and the end result of something that you did with your hands. Im sitting here thinking of my hobbies and the hobbies i use to like doing turned into work....maybe thats why i babble so much on the computer.
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2009 at 10:17pm
Eric, old saying "find a job you like and you'll never have to work a day in you life".

Now, I think that's getting a little carried away, but you know what I mean.
I like my job but there a some days I'd rather be elsewhere.
πŸ‘£ Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2009 at 11:56pm
What do you do Steve, if ya don't mind me asking...

Sean; I am always so impressed by the work some of you guys on here take on. So interesting watching the progress thru the pictures..thanks for taking the time and trouble to share with us guys.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2009 at 1:41am
Sean, I've been following your progress and so far it looks textbook perfect. I was about to ask if you wet it down and covered in plastic overnite and you beat me to it.

FYI, In the packet of info I got with the Hurricane was a quote from a Kentucky boat restorer for $28,000 for LABOR only to remove and refasten the bottom and refinish the sides of the boat. That included zip for materials, 5200, screws, cpes, varnish or any wood that was found that needed replacement. Then throw in rechrome, rebuilding the engine, interior,assembly,etc. Thats why these things are only feasible if you can do the work yourself.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2009 at 3:21pm
Alan, the guy might of said go ahead and fix, I always use the old addage, if you do 9 dollar oil changes you'll get 9 dollar people, if you do 100 dollar oil changes....
nice to see you got it first, its in the right hands
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2009 at 3:43pm
75 the project looks Awesome.

Jbear, I'm a manf. engineer for an Automotive supplier in NW Ohio. Lucky for me we don't supply to the big3. They stopped buying domestic parts long ago. LOL

Steve
πŸ‘£ Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2009 at 4:29pm
Steve,

There are not very many Honda suppliers over in this corner of Ohio, do you work for Kamco?
Boat Pics
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2009 at 6:53pm
No Sean, I work in Paulding, OH. @ Orr Co.

Steve
πŸ‘£ Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2009 at 7:13pm
Gotcha, I'm not as familiar with the industry down in the Paulding area.
Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 6:45pm
I just got the gauges back from Kocian Instruments. I had Dale restore them and they look incredible! Im a long way from that end of the boat right now but I like to think ahead.
Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2009 at 11:28pm
30 days since we finished laying the bottom, its nearly ready to paint. With another burst of energy the sanding and filling should be done this weekend. Ive been slowly collecting more screws, 5200 and mahogany to start the blitz on the sides this month. The goal at this point is to finish the bottom and sides by the end of March and flip this thing back over and move on to the easier parts. Should have a few new pics next week once the bottom is CPES coated and there is a noticeable difference in the look.
Boat Pics
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2009 at 12:03am
Sean, Looking forward to the pictures!

Steve
πŸ‘£ Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 11:33pm

This weekends work. Bottom sanded, holes plugged and sealed with CPES. Its almost a shame to paint the bottom. We start on the sides this week
Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2009 at 5:03pm
Boat Pics
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2009 at 9:32pm
Any updates It's been a couple weeks. The weather is starting to break!
πŸ‘£ Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2009 at 11:28am
Nothing noteworthy, been replacing the cracked side strips, and generally procrastinating on starting the sides, the bends, and fit have to be better than the bottom and we have been trying to get comfortable starting on it. I had to go to Toledo 2 weeks ago and get more Mahogany, the first row of wood on the bottom was wider than the boards we have on hand.

We have looked, read and argued about it for a couple weeks now, its time to crack open a few beers and dig in again now that the pinewood derby and space race are over and I have my evenings and weekends opening up again.

The goal is to have it flipped over by spring and be working the top side finally. If things don't pick up around the shop here I may have a lot of time to work on it during the day too...
Boat Pics
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2009 at 11:31am
Sean, Where in Toledo did you go to get your mahogany? I live in Rossford (suburb of Toledo.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2009 at 11:45am
Kencraft on N westwood ave. Has been my wood supplier for this project, I'm straight west of Toledo about 40 miles so its the closest supplier I could find.

Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2009 at 12:06am

After replacing cracked strips and pluggin' holes we are ready to start fitting and steaming the side boards this week.
Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 3:56pm
Lack of progress report, after learning that the side boards are 5-7 inches wide but cut from 9" boards to make the curve around the bow... just got back from Charlott michigan with $600 worth of new mahogany to try again at a restart on the sides.
Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2009 at 11:46am

I scanned this from the essentials of Chris Craft. This is the exact model and year I have been working on. Says they only made 10 in 68 and 50 of the grand prix models, same boat but much nicer with a wood topside instead of the covered deck. Thanksgiving is over, the cottage is winterized and the bottom was finished last winter so tomorrow Im going to start on the sides and see if I cant get this thing flipped abck over and start on the more fun side before winter is over...
Boat Pics
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2009 at 1:20pm
Nice!
When it is all finnished you can classify it as floating furniture,,,LOL!!!
Wood boats are a lot of work however at the end, the satisfaction feeling is beyond description.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2009 at 7:42pm
Busy week back to work prefitting the side boards before we start sealing them and bedding them in 5200, hopefully next weekend we can make a push to screw down the sides for the final time if all goes well this weekend and next week.

A full picture of the board steamer I concocted.
Boat Pics
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2009 at 7:40pm
Sean,
Looking great. I'm sure you'll be happy the day you get it back on the water. looks like the steamer is working out. Of course you're past the tough ones. The bottom planks are usually tighter bends.

I too had to do some steaming today but they were just short pieces of molding (chair rail and fake raised paneling molding) on the outside curved wall on my staircase. I sure didn't need to go as elaborate and have used this method before. A capped off piece of pipe or in this case a piece of 3" conduit with a plate welded onto the end. Just tilting it so the water stays in the bottom 6" keeps it simple. There's a internal rack to keep the wood off the bottom and out of the water. I'd better go put the gas grill back together. My wife wants me to put something on the grill tomorrow!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 6:16pm
That looks more like a steam powered potato cannon sort of thing youd see on myth busters. neat idea.
Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2009 at 5:26pm
Boat Pics
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 8>
  Share Topic