NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Torque & HP Open Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 8>
Author
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 1:07am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Thanks for bumping it Joe, I thought everyone lost interest!!!

No Way! Altho I have no idea what you guys are talking about...I sure do like the way you say it..

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 1:55am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

What's the logic in using the HM manifolds? Are they proven to flow better?

Cool factor Joel Pure speculation on my part but they are 3" outlets, the Donzi guy's want them and Reid has them on the worlds fasest Mustang.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 2:01am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Cool factor and Reid has them on the worlds fasest Mustang.

What more of a recomendation does a guy need?

How was the last few days of forced OT? Looks like your weather is messy. Gonna call this week?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 3:33am
I agree they are cool, they polish up pretty, they are loud and they do save weight maybe not the best flowing but certainly close enough.

Thats a pretty wide port, not a whole lot of material between the mounting holes and the port to seal. However they are the same width as my current heads though and I have had more problems getting them to seal on the bottom than on the sides.    
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 9:33am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I agree they are cool, they polish up pretty, they are loud and they do save weight maybe not the best flowing but certainly close enough.

Thats a pretty wide port, not a whole lot of material between the mounting holes and the port to seal. However they are the same width as my current heads though and I have had more problems getting them to seal on the bottom than on the sides.    

Not to mention the PCM manifolds don't allow for taller valve covers without adding a spacer to move them outboard, which ofcourse doesn't exist so more backyard enginering required.

Joe, I am concerned with sealing them up. Have you ever had any luck with the copper permatex hightemp sealant.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 9:52am

Joe, I am concerned with sealing them up. Have you ever had any luck with the copper permatex hightemp sealant.

Alan,
I'd like to comment on the copper high temp. It's a silicone and I'm not a big fan of any silicones! They have very poor adhesive qualities and really don't "wet out" on the surface. They only work when you have a large surface areas. I'd go with the "tried and true" Permatex non hardening (no. 2) Form-a-gasket. It's good for 400F.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 12:44pm
I have used the paint on copper gasket sealant from permatex, and the 1372 non hardening similar to the number two pete suggests but rated to 600 f, but have never used the copper silicone type. Just bought some the other day though that I plan to use to install an recently repaired manifold on a grady white that's been hogging the back center bay of my shop for way too long, it's got nla gaskets and not the greatest surfaces for sealing. Some swear by the copper silicone and I haven't heard any complaints so it's good enough for a gw. If you have pretty good but narrow surfaces I would start with 1372 on both surfaces thin and uniform with a good gasket between.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Joe, I think as you are running, the wind over the windshield creates a vacuum, so i dont think it would help with the cover up or down.
I was more on the lines thinking of forced fresh air from the front of the boat...it just seems the little venting they have now doesnt matter

Eric, I disagree- Ive skied on enough cold mornings to know that the windshield doesnt protect much beyond where the driver sits. The engine gets more fresh air than it could possibly use with the motorbox off. Ive driven mine plenty with it off and saw no difference in performance either- though it is louder and looks pretty cool. The venting from the factory must be sufficient, at least on most of our boats.

I do see your point, though- my buddy has a pretty fast MC that picks up a good 2mph with the engine cover off- it must be starving for air with it on.

Alan, cant wait to see everything bolted up!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 3:04pm
Just shooting ideas out there, it seems some of the older boats have 1, 3" going to it' more or less observations
"the things you own will start to own you"
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 11:17pm

Not to mention the PCM manifolds don't allow for taller valve covers without adding a spacer to move them outboard, which ofcourse doesn't exist so more backyard enginering required.

Have you considered a set of header flanges? I know some people who make them in Addison. How thick of a spacer would you need?

Victory Header Flanges
Furno View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 12:15am
With the much smaller cc chamber heads are you expecting much of a compression increase? I would assume so, but not sure how much. There looks to be quite a bit of difference in the chamber area of the heads. Any concerns about how it will run on pump gas?

I think we’re all living vicariously through you….
Andy

'83 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 1:46am
Originally posted by Andy Andy wrote:

Have you considered a set of header flanges? I know some people who make them in Addison. How thick of a spacer would you need?

Victory Header Flanges

Andy, yes I was actually going to go that route until I stumbled onto the HM manifolds. I wouldn't think I'd need much but would have to test fit with some spacers to figure it out. I will keep you in mind if I don't like the HM's I may just do the spacers. Last time I talked to waterdog he mentioned making a set up for his boat.

Thanks for the heads up.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 2:01am
Originally posted by Furno Furno wrote:

With the much smaller cc chamber heads are you expecting much of a compression increase? I would assume so, but not sure how much. There looks to be quite a bit of difference in the chamber area of the heads. Any concerns about how it will run on pump gas?

I think we’re all living vicariously through you….

The heads came with 58 cc chambers and we angle milled the heads down to net us 54 cc chambers, we calculated that would bring the current CR of 9.3 up to 9.94:1

I'm not really concerned with pump gas as long as I can get 93, which hasn't been a problem so far. I've run the current motor on 89 without pinging and I could play with timing if I have to back off. Cam research suggests that the motor will need 2 degrees less total than I'm running now but I'll have to experiment.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 2:24am
For reference I did run the pcm manifolds with Ford Racing tall valve covers for a year, the fit was tight. On one side I could fit a piece of paper through without drag but not much more, on the other the paper would drag. Any spacer width would have made it enough to keep paint on both parts.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 2:26am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

For reference I did run the pcm manifolds with Ford Racing tall valve covers for a year, the fit was tight. On one side I could fit a piece of paper through without drag but not much more, on the other the paper would drag. Any spacer width would have made it enough to keep paint on both parts.

Maybe even double up on gaskets?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 2:30am
Thats what I was thinking, but I wasnt using stock heads so its possible there is a little difference and tolerance stack up to take into account and some may be a little tighter.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 11:43am
Allen,Joe
   Goggle Silkolene 762 MX guys use it to seal the exhaust. I first saw it on Rolls-Royce jet exhaust flanges. I use it and it works - but
at $90 for a tooth paste tube it's pricy. A tube will last a life-time. I can send you guys a little in a plastic bag if you would like to try it.
    I think a 1/2 inch spacer would help the log type ex. manifolds.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2009 at 1:01pm
In regards to additional air flow, I also thought that these boats could benefit, but I've tried the same tests w/o the box and didn't see improvements. Then later, I observed this on our Classic with the scoop on the box, which is open to the engine: early on prior to rebuilding the engine, it had an enormous amount of blow-by coming from the vent tube. When running the boat it would actually blow the smoke OUT of the scoop meaning to me that there was more air/pressure coming out than going in the engine compartment, which really surprised me. This does not contradict what Eric is saying I don't think, as he is speaking more of forced induction and the scoop on the Classic is not sealed to the carb, but is open to the engine compartment.      
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Brktracer Brktracer wrote:

Alan,

What diameter is the outlet on the HM manifolds (measured at the flange where the riser attaches)?

Thanks,

Matt

2.5"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 8:23pm
Reid, that's what I was thinking, at 40 mph with straight induction and cool air it may p/u some performance...hell I always try to think of the ratio's ....dollar per HP or MPH.
I keep thinking of the Mythbusters to where the truck with the tailgate down got worse mileage than the truck with the gate up, completely opposite of what was thought
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I keep thinking of the Mythbusters to where the truck with the tailgate down got worse mileage than the truck with the gate up, completely opposite of what was thought

Yep, that's because the pickup bed with the tailgate up created a perfect static vortex for the incoming air to flow over. I love that show.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 8:57pm
Just like a golf ball, the resistance of air-air is less than air-pickup bed (not to mention the greater area/length to travel).

Sanity - Do I get anything back when I contribute positively to the forums?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 11:08pm
you gain an inch Stiffler
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 11:15pm
Hollywood, did you ever see the wizard of oz when the wizard put the ribbon on the scarecrow? he goes on to start rappin the square root of an isosolize triangle....you always had it in you lol
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 1:48pm
JoeinNY- When you did your motor build did you price out a counter rotation crank?

81Nautique- I'm loving the motor build. What's your expected HP? are you going to re-prop? When changing to the CC heads do you need to change pistons to shape to the new heads or are you running stock pistons? I'm assuming from what you said about the heads being available in aluminum that you went with iron? What advantages does sticking with iron have over going with aluminum for boats?

Everyone- Does anone know what stock valve lift is for the PCM 454?

Thanks
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 3:46pm
Did anyone ever cut open a PCM exhaust riser?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Brktracer Brktracer wrote:

Did anyone ever cut open a PCM exhaust riser?

Don't think there are any spare ones around, they don't rust out like the manifolds do.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

81Nautique- I'm loving the motor build. What's your expected HP? are you going to re-prop? When changing to the CC heads do you need to change pistons to shape to the new heads or are you running stock pistons? I'm assuming from what you said about the heads being available in aluminum that you went with iron? What advantages does sticking with iron have over going with aluminum for boats?

Thanks

Expected HP is 380 but that's optimistic and only a simulated number. Prop question can't be answered until the boat is in the water, I have several to play with and will try them all once the motor is dialed in.

You don't "need" to change pistons when going with a smaller CC head but with any type of change like new cam or shaved heads/deck you have to check for piston to valve clearance. I do not have stock pistons and we think I'll be fine but will check clearance and relief them if I have to.

The iron heads are certainly cheaper than aluminum and I was concerned about consistant engine temps in an open cooling system. If it was a closed system and had more consistant engine temps they would be an option to consider but without that you could be looking at issues that I didn't want to deal with.

I understand aluminum heads can withstand high compression ratios because they dissipate heat better but at 10:1 the irons are fine.

Also, Seems this thread has become more about my motor than was intended so if anyone wants to add to the conversation please jump in. It was meant to be just a general engine hop up thread, not about me.

Someone else will have to help with your 454 question
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 4:46pm

Also, Seems this thread has become more about my motor than was intended so if anyone wants to add to the conversation please jump in. It was meant to be just a general engine hop up thread, not about me.

Alan,
Don't be so modest! You're one of the sites best "Hop up heads"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 5:47pm
Another question I have is can anyone clear this question up for me?

I was told by a teacher that PCMs 454 had a cam gear/crank gear instead of a timing chain. Which would mean although its a counter rotation motor it has a std rotation cam?

Which would mean having a custom cam made to follow the bizarre pcm firing order and crank setup wouldn't be that hard to achieve?

Just trying to learn from the masters of boat hp building
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic