NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PROPS

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PROPS
    Posted: December-18-2016 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Originally posted by PROPGUY PROPGUY wrote:

Your looking for a 12x10? Federal? OJ? What boat?

Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

12 x 10 x 1. LH

Click on my Avatar   

1966 Correct Craft Skylark LH Drive
Universal Super Sabre Buick V-6 155 HP - 225 engine
Velvet Drive 1:1 Transmission
12 x 12 x 1 Michigan 3 blade OEM - 4500 rpm - 38 mph
12 x 13 x 1 Michigan 3 blade -- 4400 rpm - 38 mph
12 x 11.5 x 1 ACME 3 blade - 4400 - 40 mph

Any Luck???
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2016 at 1:43am
Ive heard Scott say that the changes to the hull were to improve the barefoot wake...but at the time both the DX and DXII were AWSA approved waterski boats and the Outboard Sanger was the barefoot boat and its strakes run full length and that did not change so what the National sales manager says is suspect at best. Sanger gave me and my friends a DX to use in 1988 they said go foot with it...it had no plate...the wake was pretty good. I do not think anybody ever put a plate on a DX ....it's years later they put a plate on the DXII and found it had a wake judges could judge and skiers could ski. Never designed for barefooting it just happened to have a wake that worked.

I've seen later than 91 sitting on the old DX hull possibly as late as 97.
This is the life
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2016 at 3:38pm
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2016 at 3:03pm
For the record, I've seen what are at least advertised as 91 model year DXs with both the full length strakes (flush with the transom) as well as the shorter ones. Appears to be a mid model year change.

Outboard to inboard is apples to oranges even if the fiverglass is identical. It's a different wake due to weight distribution and propulsion method. Hell, just a prop change on an inboard causes a noticeable change in wake.
PROPGUY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROPGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2016 at 3:00pm
Thans Andy, I appreciate all your input.... but as I stated I have followed/read your barefoot forum post numerous times, have been friends with scott p since the 80s been around barefooting (invluding Willie) since the 70s, so I am up to snuff on most stuff Sanger. I think I did pick your brain on your steering upgrade as everyone from scott, eric at sanger, you , your marina guy and teleflex all had different opiions.....lol I get the HP thing and I wojld love to upgrade, just dont have a extra 10k laying around. When I do it I will build the motor for probably less than half that. If you need a prop or any metal fabrication call me.
    Rob K
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2016 at 2:23pm
Well alrighty then...just uh an observation...the 383 has 429ft pounds torque at 3800 rpms so running at 40 is not running wide open holeshot is quick and firm and pulls hard throughout....it really makes the boat move effortlessly and driving it so much more fun. Almost no one skis wakes faster than 47...i like 45 forwards and just 40 or 41 backwards. Its just cool to be cruising along at 40 and romp on it and zip up to 50. Throttle it hard thru a turn its just way more fun.
Hey I'm just trying to help since there is alot of confusion about Sanger models ...about the plate about the hulls. I spoke with some guys who run the dam to dam who dropped in a 6.0 in a DX that they race ---they were convinced it was nothing like a DXII wake...I had to explain he in fact had a DX riding on a DXII hull no plate...he was shocked since he had skied other plated DXII'S...I asked if he compared it to an unplated DXII? Nope never. Anyway a real DX is like an Outboard Sanger hull with an inboard engine and taller windshield.
This is the life
PROPGUY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROPGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2016 at 6:02pm
Thanks Andy but I dont need any imput on my Sanger, thats not why I came here. If I were looking for help I would goto the batefoot forum and reread your 17 page Budget Barefoot boat post again. My boat has a plate and 2 booms and just about everything else I need to foot on it. I weigh about 160lbs my wife is 110lbs and we are not competitive barefooters, so we dont need to go 46mph. We are mainly show skiers so 38-40 is just fine. If and when my motor goes kaput I will build a 383 around 400hp. I have acess to a 2015 DXII with a Raptor 440 if i desire to ski at 50+. Thanks again for all the input guys but your wasting your time posting all that here. I apreciate it but I am all good as far as my boat goes. I was offering my assistance and expertise on props to all of you all here thats all. I dont know how this changed to what it did. Again I appreciate all the input and that you guys wanna help with my boat but I would rater help you all. And PS its not only about making money, I like to help to.... and offer my services and a place to get new or used props for someone in need. I will discount all of it to CCF members.
      Rob
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2016 at 5:35pm
Sangers are the shizzy!

Maybe some takeoff Vortec heads would perk yours up?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2016 at 2:36pm
With 350hp I'm turning the original OJ 13X13 5100rpms which tows a big fat footer 47 mph and just at 49-50 no skier. I did run a 400 hp engine and it went more than 50 easily. But it blew up...do not order a motor from blueprint engines. That's another story.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2016 at 2:29pm
Rob I can help with a lot of info on that 88 DX...mine is a 90. One of the best things you can do is add the factory cavitation plate aka barefoot plate. It is the same one used on the DXII. Now here we get into some hull differences. An 88 should have an "original" DX hull ...the DXII hull has shortened lifting strakes see pitot mounting spot...the 88 hull should be like my 90 having full length strakes which has more similarity to the Sanger Outboard hull in design. Many DX's sit on DXII hulls...ive not seen a DXII on a DX deck though...the early 90's Sanger mixed and matched those lower hulls. So what does this all mean? It means your 88 with a plate and 400hp will have a wake as good or better than (in regard to barefoot wake slalom) a brand new 55,000 DXII. My 90 has a wake that hall of fame barefooter Willie Farrell calls it "too easy".
This is the life
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2016 at 10:18am

I'm surprised how this thread went from me "spaming" to you guys helping diagnose my boat. I appreciate all the input and theories,
    Rob (PROPGUY)

That's just good old CCfan initiation hazing, Looks like you're in, Welcome
PROPGUY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROPGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2016 at 11:47pm
Hi guys sorry for the absenteeism but I am busy running my business and don't spend a lot of time online. I'm surprised how this thread went from me "spaming" to you guys helping diagnose my boat. I appreciate all the input and theories, I haven't had it out since Eddie and I ran it without a issue I believe that the issue was/is the lack of fresh air into the engine box due to the fresh air hoses not working and getting good airflow into the box, causing vapor lock. Andy the prop I have on it is a OJ 13x13, it used to get 42 mph now its only 40 on GPS, I think I lost about 200 RPM (timing?) Yes the 383 would be an awesome upgrade but I don't have a spare 9k laying around. I will build a 383 at some point, probably a 400HP one. Thanks seacamper for the prop repair. Have a great weekend guys and thanks for the help with my boat.
    Rob (PROPGUY)
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2016 at 11:09am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

I found a tech note online from Mercruiser about vapor lock issues on these engines.

I don't doubt eddies ability to identify the year of the boat, but perhaps the year/applicability of the Merc bulletin? My point was to confirm that vapor lock is real, but perhaps the bulletin wasn't appropriate for the 88 vintage engine and perhaps it was meant for a mid-late 90's counterpart (possibly with the same name?). Perhaps Merc's service bulletins were engineered only as well as their engines.

Tim,
This is the service bulletin. As you can see it's from 2001. I know well after '88 but it does specifically say All Mercruiser 4,6 and 8 cylinder engines. It also does mention carbed and EFI in the content and does refer back to at least '96 model year engines.
So what years does it really encompass? I have no idea but all Mercruiser 4,6 and 8 cyl. engines does cover a pretty broad spectrum.

I guess the one thing that really jumped out at me was the air temps and ventilation in the engine compartment that is specifically mentioned in the service bulletin. This one detail ironically enough seemed to eliminate the problem once the engine cover was removed. Coincidence or just dumb luck? I have no idea right off hand. More info and testing is needed to verify the cause and effect at this point.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2016 at 10:45am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

We've run the old carbed boats in over 100 degree weather without issues. We've seen them "load up" upon stop and shut down and becomes necessary to open throttle wide open to start.

What prop does he have? My 260 would get 42 with a footer so it's really not too far off. But the rough running is strange given all that's been checked...maybe give the Rochester a kit.

Not sure what prop is on it Andy. As far as I know it's the factory one. My next thought would be a rebuild but again, I've never touched a Rochester.

Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Of course there is the $9000 solution...a complete fi 383 Merc stroker 350hp....they plug right in.

Agreed on the 383 upgrade...LOL. I'm sure Rob would too.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 10:39pm

Seacamper (Tom) I wish we had a before pic, that one was a little rough, I guess all that time sitting on the bottom of the lake. Thanks so much for the business!!
      Rob

Here we go.

]pic 1[/URL]

]pic 2[/URL]
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
PROPGUY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROPGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 9:58pm
Seacamper (Tom) I wish we had a before pic, that one was a little rough, I guess all that time sitting on the bottom of the lake. Thanks so much for the business!!
      Rob
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 9:33pm

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Eddie is that no-ox marine approved or telco approved

LOL...I'm sure it isn't marine approved but by far the best stuff I've ever used to prevent corrosion.

Somehow I have ended up with a couple of big tubes and a small container of the stuff,have no idea from where can't always find it when I'm looking for it though.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 9:29pm
I guess I am Rob's first CCF customer. Here is the 542 he finished:

It turned out great. Thanks Rob.
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 7:20pm

I found a tech note online from Mercruiser about vapor lock issues on these engines.

I don't doubt eddies ability to identify the year of the boat, but perhaps the year/applicability of the Merc bulletin? My point was to confirm that vapor lock is real, but perhaps the bulletin wasn't appropriate for the 88 vintage engine and perhaps it was meant for a mid-late 90's counterpart (possibly with the same name?). Perhaps Merc's service bulletins were engineered only as well as their engines.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 7:03pm
Eddie I know you know it's an 88. Someone started down the fuel injected road.

Crummy fuel tank? Does he normally run low fuel?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 3:53pm
Of course there is the $9000 solution...a complete fi 383 Merc stroker 350hp....they plug right in.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 3:51pm
We've run the old carbed boats in over 100 degree weather without issues. We've seen them "load up" upon stop and shut down and becomes necessary to open throttle wide open to start.

What prop does he have? My 260 would get 42 with a footer so it's really not too far off. But the rough running is strange given all that's been checked...maybe give the Rochester a kit.
This is the life
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

LOL...I'm sure it isn't marine approved but by far the best stuff I've ever used to prevent corrosion.

Eddie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

88 Sanger not 98. Should be carbed but I didn't get a look under the motorbox when he had it over.

Coil could be breaking down but you should have been able to repeat the symptoms. Eddie is no hack he would have been able to diagnose the problem had it reoccurred. All is well that ends well.

Hi Rob.

I said was an '88 and yes, definitely carbed with a Rochester which I know nothing about.
Forgot to mention that the coil is also new. From SkiDim specifically for Mercruisers. The old one was so corroded that terminals were almost unrecognizable. In answer to your next question, it measures 1.5 ohms as the original did and Mercruisers use a resistance wire instead of a ballast resistor. The coil gets warm but not hot by any means.

The fuel has also been replaced with new and new filter/water separator so we know that water in the fuel isn't an issue.. I had a two gallon gas can at the ready to swap in place of the fuel tank when we went for our test run but didn't have to use it so that aspect has not been verified.
All the evidence thus far does point to vapor lock but again, I'm still skeptical.

Eddie
PROPGUY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROPGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2016 at 10:01pm
Nope
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2016 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ken,
Deep Blue has the DJ355 bronze 12" for $364.00 The list is $473.00.

Rob,
Can you do better than Deep Blue?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2016 at 4:57pm
88 Sanger not 98. Should be carbed but I didn't get a look under the motorbox when he had it over.

Coil could be breaking down but you should have been able to repeat the symptoms. Eddie is no hack he would have been able to diagnose the problem had it reoccurred. All is well that ends well.

Hi Rob.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2016 at 4:51pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2016 at 2:49pm
Eddie, it would be interesting if your test run, thrashing the boat for over an hour without any issues, were repeated pretty closely with the motor box in place. If the problem occurred you'd be pretty well sure it was heat related, most likely vapor lock.

I learned about vapor lock in the '80's and I don't think I've seen it happen in the last 2o years, which would jibe with the age of that boat. A couple of easy fixes would be to run the blower when idling or stopped, and to look at the stat that's in it and if 160, maybe run a bit cooler thermostat to keep the engine heat down.

It would be nice if Rob checked back in to this thread. It's a free country and fine if he doesn't want to, but you can't be too thin skinned when posting online, have to learn to take a few shots and just roll with it, especially if you are looking to get a business going.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2016 at 2:13pm
I had a car that was pron to vapor lock and the symptoms sound similar to what has been described. With the exception of the car would vapor lock while stopped in traffic (no air flow blowing through the motor compartment) heat would rise reaching the fuel lines and stall the motor. After it sat long enough it would start right up. Wrapping the fuel lines in tin foil and adding wooden close pins actually helped a little (looked horrible).

If the motor temperature is still normal vapor lock may not be the issue. Although as this boat has some years on it another issue could arise. I have seen water jackets in the heads rusted closed and the temp gauge remained normal. But probably not.

However, the boat issue sounds like it happens under load. You have checked all the normal issues with proper reasoning. The one thing I have not heard mentioned is moisture in the fuel. The boat is older and moisture can build up over time in a tank with condensation. I know you guys are aware of this but it has not been mentioned and this would happen under load. Something to look at.

At my location we see temperatures as high as 115 and as low as -20. Condensation problems are not uncommon. I do not know if this would be a problem in Florida. I store my cars and boats with a full tank of gas (less room for condensation) and Sta-Bil in the tanks. I also frequently add Chevron Techroline fuel injector cleaner to all my vehicles carbed or injected In some cases you may need to purchase specific fuel/water treatments found in cold climates.
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic