Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Guy from Maine

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gpzstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpzstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Guy from Maine
    Posted: March-21-2008 at 12:15am
Hi new member here in Maine waiting for the 4 feet of snow to melt so I can get to teh garage and my 1985 2001 with the 454 motor.
Couple qick questions, anyoen else have the 454 motor?
Does yours rev higher than 4500RPM?
I can't seem to get more than about 42-45 MPH (indicated) out of my boat. I recently replaced all of the below:
Carb, Distributor, Fuel Pump , fule line and filter assembly, cleaned out that sneaky screen in the pickup tube. Who the hell knew that was there?
Anyways I've owned tis boat for about 10 years, have spent many happy hours on it and hope to continue to do so for many more years,
Love to find an owner's manual for it as well as a wiring diagram, that's the next project for this old girl!
Foot safe!
Bill
2006 BMW R1200RT
1970-ish Chang Jiang Sidecar rig
1989 Kawasaki EX500 Track bike
1985 CC 2001 w/454ci
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 12:47am
   Bill,

You've come to the right place.Welcome
many 2001 owners on here,some lucky enough to have the 454.You can search the site for lots of info on the stuff mentioned above and I'm sure the guys will chime in.Get some pics up,sign up for the NE reunion,and pray for spring weather.Where are you in Maine?I see you own a BMW,do you ride that all year with a heated suit.You BMW guys are dedicated!

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 11:33am
Bill,
Welcome to the site.

I've got my '87 manual in pdf format, which I would be happy to email to you. Go to my diary (link at the bottom of this post), and send me a message with your email address. I can send my wiring diagram as well.

Check the reference section for engine manuals, I think you'll find what you need.

Glen
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 12:20pm
Bill you need to make sure that the speed is correct as if you are basing the speed off the speedo's they are very enaccurate at higher speeds so a GPS is a better benchmark to go by. 4500 is about right you might get a little more rpm out of it but not much. Have you changed the plugs, wires, set timing? maybe even bump up the time a couple degrees?

Are the secondaries kicking in? what PV is in the carb?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 12:51pm
Bill,

Welcome to another "Eastcoaster"!
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 1:43pm
Bill,
Welcome to the site! When you get a chance, post some photos of your boat to the Diaries section.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 2:03pm
Welcome aboard!
One questions that I'm surprised hasn't been asked yet is what prop are you running?
I'm not familliar with the bbc, but lots of talk here recently about the sbf turning as much as 5000 to 5200 rpms.
The speedos on these boats can be adjusted very easliy. agree with the others, you really need a GPS to be sure what speed your actually running at.

-Brad
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 6:03pm
Bill, the factory spec for my 454 is 4400 rpm's...in a BFN. Which boat do you have, SN or BFN?

I was just thinking this poor guy is getting hammered. He'll have a 4 page response for all of this?!!?

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 6:18pm
Welcome to the site. What lake do you run your boat on?

A SN with a big block is pretty rare isn't it?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I have no idea about that. If he has a BFN I think he's in the ballpark.
1988 BFN-sold

Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I know there where a few 'show boats' (as is ski-show boats) that where SN's with the 454. Many have an extended pylon as well. There's one on Sokokis.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 7:24pm
Bill,
Just sent my owner's manual to Keith to post in the reference section. I'm sure he'll get it posted pretty quickly.

I hope you'll see my electrical wiring schematic posted below.

Hope it helps.

Glen

gpzstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpzstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 9:14pm
Holy smokes! Thanks to all who have responded so resoundingly to my posting! Sheesh here I was thinking I was the only one who had a "VINTAGE" 1985 CC Ski Nautique 2001.
Don't know a lot of the boat's history. I bought it from a real "meat-head" in Lynn MA. 10 years ago and when I brought it home my wife looked at me like I was insane. It was pretty beat up, but it had a BAREFOOT BOOM on it and that motor sounded sooo pretty!
My two son's understood it though.
Drove it for 2 seasons as it was then had the upholstery and floors and carpet done along with the hull buffed out and new decals. I have a 3-blade bronze prop on it and can probably pull trees out with it if need be.
I did new plugs 2 seasons ago along with wires and the new distributor. My thinking is some carb and timing ajustments are needed cause I was "fiddling around" with the carb adjustments prior to discovering the cause of all my pain with that clogged screen in the pickup tube.
I'm on McWain Pond in waterford, Maine. It's located in the western foothills just shy of Sunday River Ski Area,
Don't have many e-pics just yet but give me time and I'll post some.
The BMW is the uber-sport-tourer 1200 cc 140 hP.
2006 BMW R1200RT
1985 CC 2001 w/454ci
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 9:20pm
Beautiful area. I drive by Bear and Keoka every Sunday on my way to Sunday River. Never been by MacWain though.
gpzstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpzstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 9:24pm
thanks Riley, when you go past Bear Pond right after the Bear MT Inn on the right is Phil's Mobil with the waterwheel.. That road on the right is Mill Hill which leads right past on eend of McWain... It's situated right behind Keoka up on the hill. No public access at all and VERY quiet.. I don't suppose you barefoot??
I haven't found a partner/driver since I moved up in 2000.
regards
Bill
2006 BMW R1200RT
1985 CC 2001 w/454ci
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 9:26pm
Bill, welcome aboard! This is a way above average site...great people and about anything you ever wanted to know about CC's.
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 9:30pm
I know Phil's well. I don't barefoot. The only footers I know I met on this site and they will be at the NE Reunion at Sokokis.

Not many barefooters around. I'm on Sebago and I don't believe I've ever seen anyone on that lake barefooting.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 3:43am
Bill,
I too am a fellow Mainer (even though I live in MA now). Grew up in Gray and have skied Sunday River my entire life. I've been out on Bryant Pond but never MacWain.

My family has a camp on Sokokis Lake in Limerick, just a bit south from you on Route 5. There's usually someone barefooting on weekend mornings before 8:00 am.

Of course, we should also have plenty of footing at this year's NE Reunion. Hopefully you can make it.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 4:03am
Originally posted by gn6027 gn6027 wrote:

Bill,
Just sent my owner's manual to Keith to post in the reference section. I'm sure he'll get it posted pretty quickly. Hope it helps. -Glen

Thanks to Glen, the 1987 Owner's Manual is now available in the Manuals Reference Section.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic