Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Points vs elect Ign.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
fritzc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritzc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Points vs elect Ign.
    Posted: February-13-2008 at 2:25pm
The boat I am looking at has points. The owner said that he tried converting it to electric and could not get it to run right so went back to points. Also did not use a timing light, adj by ear, so it does not run very well. Does that mean I should be concerned that there is something wrong with the engine?

Fritzc
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 2:51pm
Hi and welcome- short answer- probably not. Many people have had issues with the cheapo electronic ignition conversion kits (myself included). Adjusting the timing properly,with a light, is very simple and should be done when changing from points to elec ign (and back again). Points ignitions work very, very well and there is no "need" to upgrade.

You could be more specific with the year/ model of the boat/ engine and what conversion kit was attempted. Is the ignition system stock or aftermarket/ upgraded.
There are many guys on here experienced with ignition systems.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by fritzc fritzc wrote:

Does that mean I should be concerned that there is something wrong with the engine?

Fritzc

depends weather it's the dwell and timing setting causing it to run rough or the something else. If it was me I would be adjusting the dwell and setting the timing for the idiot then see how it runs.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 3:26pm
Fritz, Good luck getting the boat and as Brad and Chris have mentioned it needs to be timed and dwell set. The rough running sounds like it happened after he tried the EI conversion. It does happen where someone has heard someone else state that a electronic conversion is the "hot" setup. Then without any knowledge (or tools-timing light) will go and try it themselves. Don't worry about points. They work! My 64 hasn't had new points put in it in 28 years. Starts up every year and runs great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fritzc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritzc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 3:38pm
1988 Martinique Ford 351
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 5:34pm
Assuming it's a stock setup, then try a tune up (cap, rotor, points/ condensor/ plugs), set the timing with a light (6-8 degrees btdc)and see how it runs before you buy it. Chances are it'll be okay after a proper tune up.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 5:44pm
I've been running a 240 hp PCM Ford since 1992. It runs great with points. I've put about 1000 hours on it and have only changed them about 4 times. I've never even put a timing light on it. Points are no big deal.
78nautique78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78nautique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 10:12pm
I converted my 78 last spring with a PCM EI, did research, Some on this site and other places and have had very good luck with it. I changed over because after a rain the engine wouldn't run good. Moisture getting in the cap. I haven't had any problems yet.
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 11:24pm
I needed to replace my points on my 302 so I went with a breakerless electronic ignition conversion kit which replaces just the points.

That was 2 yrs ago and so far I have not had any problems. I did not even reset the timing. It may have been just luck!!
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 1:28am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I've never even put a timing light on it.

If it aint broke... right Bruce?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Barracuda Barracuda wrote:

It's a great engine. It's always ran really well. I think if I put a timing light on it and it indicated that the timing needed to be changed, I probably still wouldn't mess with it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 12:33pm

It's a great engine. It's always ran really well. I think if I put a timing light on it and it indicated that the timing needed to be changed, I probably still wouldn't mess with it.

that is just dumb luck and usually not the case, most of the time the timing needs to be re-set.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

that is just dumb luck and usually not the case, most of the time the timing needs to be re-set.

I have to agree with '79 here Bruce. Its always good to verify the timing. Who knows- you could be at 5 deg BTDC, which would result in great starts and smooth running, but you could be leaving something on the table for midrange and top end performance.

'78, Ive never heard of a PCM EI kit. I assume youre talking about the Prestolite kit? Thats what appears to have been installed on my buddy's '94 from the factory. Thats what was on my '90 before I upgraded to my DUI, and it ran great (until my MSD coil killed it). Ive heard of a lot more problems with the Pertronix kit. I know SkiDIM recommends the Prestolite.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 1:13pm
I have had 2 SN's with standard ignition, the 77' had a 351 and the 80' had a 350, both were OK, had some issues like 78 mentioned with moisture, more so with the 80' for whatever reason, both had cap issues more then points issues.

Question for you motor heads, if you upgrade from standard to a good basic electronic, would there be any HP gains or loses?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Question for you motor heads, if you upgrade from standard to a good basic electronic, would there be any HP gains or loses?

Unless the points needed to be replaced, Id say no. Ive heard of easier starts and better reliability (moisture issues like you mentioned). To gain HP, youre going to have to upgrade the entire distributor and coil with a setup that will give you a better (or more consistent) advance curve and/or a hotter or longer spark.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 3:10pm
Tim I think that's what chris was saying, replacing the whole dist.

But I agree your realy not going to see a major improvement in HP, you might gain a little mid range torque responce or some top end speed if you use a HighOutput coil and tweek the adv curve some. But mainly your going to get easier starts, smoother idle, better throttle response, better fuel consumption and less maintance as the plugs will last longer and you can gap them wider too.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 3:38pm
Thanks Boy's, and yes Chris, my intended question was replacing the whole distributor, thanks for clarifying for Timmy, he is a little slow sometimes, like his boat!

Good point on the fuel consumption as well, I did notice a big gain in that area with my first EI SN, although I am sure the fuel injection was a big part of that also.

Chris, what's the deal, awful calm lately, you must be getting lucky!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 3:58pm

if you upgrade from standard to a good basic electronic, would there be any HP gains or loses?

Talk about a vague question- you ever even been under the motorbox of one of these things?

Thanks Boy's, and yes Chris, my intended question was replacing the whole distributor, thanks for clarifying for Timmy, he is a little slow sometimes, like his boat!

Hey, it may be slow, but at least it will do over 40!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 4:09pm
Hey Now, Both me and my boat have past the 4-0 mark!

MotorBox, as in electric? I think my boat has an engine and we keep it in the DogHouse, just like me!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 4:15pm
Tim sorry you noreastern's have issue comprehending the written word and can't figure out the real meaning.

as far as being quite well I'm getting enough stress from my 14 yr's attitude and the BS my ex-wife has f**ked up in his head. Jumping to conclusions and over reacting, yelling, screaming at them, threating them and thinking you know exactly what someone else is going to say in a give curcumstance is not the example you want to be giving to a young child. All that does is create an envoroment to be closed minded and have very poor listening skills.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 4:21pm
CQ, I get your point, but Correct Craft calls it a motor box.

Going over 40 while on the trailer doesnt count!

'79, theres no telling what Quinner is talking about when he mentions a "good basic electronic". He could be talking about his personal life.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 4:44pm

noreastern's

To use the parlance of your geographic area...HUH?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 4:46pm

noreastern's

To use the parlance of your geographic area...HUH?

that would be mid-westerner for me, not the east coast.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I have to agree with '79 here Bruce. Its always good to verify the timing. Who knows- you could be at 5 deg BTDC, which would result in great starts and smooth running, but you could be leaving something on the table for midrange and top end performance.

'78, Ive never heard of a PCM EI kit. I assume youre talking about the Prestolite kit? Thats what appears to have been installed on my buddy's '94 from the factory. Thats what was on my '90 before I upgraded to my DUI, and it ran great (until my MSD coil killed it). Ive heard of a lot more problems with the Pertronix kit. I know SkiDIM recommends the Prestolite.

Good point. I do own a timing light. I just never bothered to check it. Maybe that's the reason my Indmar/Chevy walks all over the Ford.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 3:21am

Good point. I do own a timing light. I just never bothered to check it. Maybe that's the reason my Indmar/Chevy walks all over the Ford.

well soory you don't know how to use your timing light and I'm sorry you do not own a CC eather.

Oh your tag lines... well they don't match your mouth...typed words
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 11:07am

well soory you don't know how to use your timing light and I'm sorry you do not own a CC eather.

Chris, its common knowledge around here that Bruce has 2 Malibus in addition to his Mustang. He owns more Correct Crafts than you do!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 11:49am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Chris, its common knowledge around here that Bruce has 2 Malibus in addition to his Mustang. He owns more Correct Crafts than you do!

...and I've always been a CC fan, regardless of what I've been driving.

I will check the timing on that PCM come spring. It runs so good, I'll be surprised if it's off by much.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 12:03pm
riley you just might be in for a little added performance once you get the timing set right. Bump it to around 8-10 bdtc and if it doesn't ping leave it there.

Also your Chevy has been running against the wrong fords as you wouldn't have a chance at GL with it.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 12:22pm
79, I'll give it a try. I just got a timing light last summer, but never bothered with the Ford because it has always run so good. Apples to oranges comparing a new Vortec to a pre GT40 Ford, but Tim has told me he thinks the old Fords have as much grunt out of the hole as the new Vortecs. I haven't found that to be the case with my boats, so maybe it is the timing on my Ford.

When I make it to GL, if I'm running against anyone, it will be Pete and 62Wood.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 12:33pm

the old Fords have as much grunt out of the hole as the new Vortecs. I haven't found that to be the case with my boats, so maybe it is the timing on my Ford.

That may have something to do with it. Ive mentioned a few times that my stock-ish '90 (240hp + DUI, Acme prop) ran dead nuts up to about 30 against my dad's '03 330hp 196/Excalibur. My boat did have a slightly shorter prop and a few hundred pound weight advantage, though. I can say for sure that with equal hp and similar top end speed, the Ford had a 1.5-2 boatlength advantage out of the hole.

'79, I dont think you want to be picking fights with that Vortec Sportster of his. For a stock boat, you wont find many faster- it would outrun me for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic