Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Having a problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Having a problem
    Posted: November-29-2007 at 3:13pm
Can not keep the 3M vinyl letters under the fuel vent from lifting. All other letters have not lifted at all. I even re-lettered and covered the letters with clear helicopter film; and, it came up faster than the letters.

Would the lead additive be causing this problem? The boat is painted with Interlux Brightside Polyurethane which conatins Teflon.

Talked to KEELGUARD and their clear transom guard uses the same 3M adhesive system as the letters and helicopter film.. Is my only solution painting the letters?

Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 3:39pm
Steve, The 3M should stick to the Brightside even with the Teflon. Have you tried cleaning the area first with some denatured alcohol? I personally don't believe in the lead additive but that may be doing it. The alcohol may not cut it but I wouln't use anything stronger out of fear of getting to the paint. If you do get them to stick, I would put a new hose on the vent line long enough so you can loop it around at least once. There is a thread on the vent line and preventing the overflow.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 4:24pm
Peter

Thanx for the reply. The sign shop who cut and mounted the letters did clean the surface with denatured alcohol both times.. I still have some of the clear and will see what the additive does to it. The boat is storage so I can not do anything on the boat till March.

I may stop using the additive for I to question its' useage in the boat. Do use it in our 67 Mustang Ford conv. When Ford reman. the engine they wanted us to use the additive.
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 11:33pm
what about clear coat over the letters.?
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 12:10pm
Chopper

Do you think clear coat will stay on that Interlux paint?
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 10:13pm
Mabe you can turn or change the vent so the fumes dont go to that spot, but if not I think "Chopper" may be right about the clear coat, it should help...good luck
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 10:25pm
Steve, It sounds like the sign shop is telling you that the problem is the paint?? Have you contacted Intralux? Do you know it is a 3M vinyl? Have you contacted 3M? I don't think it is the paint. The alcohol didn't work so I would try a strong general purpose cleaner. I'm thinking that maybe the contaminant is water soluble with a detergent. The clear coat will only hold the vinyl on at the edges. If it fails, the vinyl will come off and now you will have a really big mess. You need to find out why it isn't sticking.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2007 at 2:41am
Pete
Im' going to get some scrap material from the sign shop and see what gas only does to the adhesive and also do the same with additive added. Do believe it is the fuel additive for the shop has not had any other problems.
May also try the adhesive on various surfaces with the above tests.

A friend who paints helicopters in his shop, as well as does the gelcoat repair work for Midwest CC, had the same problem with airplane fuel on the birds and had to paint on all the lettering.

Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic