NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wire harness

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
85Nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wire harness
    Posted: October-04-2007 at 6:49pm
Hey 79,

I just burned up my wire harness I saw that you have replaced yours did you just rewire with plain wire from home depot and remove the plugs on the harness. The wires are burn from the alternator. Need your help trying to fix this weekend so that I can winterize soon ..

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2007 at 6:50pm
sorry it is a 351 commander
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2007 at 7:00pm
Brian, I would try to find out what caused the melt down first. Have you been doing some rewiring with Home Depot wire? Sound system? pumps? Fill us in! They do make "marine" grade wire! More important are the connections. Fusing??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2007 at 7:37pm
the melt down happened after i replaced the alternator belt, I have not done any replacing of wire, Should i get the wire from boaters world or something like that, I have all the color and Gage of wire i need for each wire just not sure what Pin referres to. Is this something i can do in a weekend. any help would be great
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2007 at 7:59pm
Brian, Replacing the belt just meant that the alternator may have put out it's full rated amps. (the belt wasn't slipping) You haven't mentioned any add-ons that may have been done. Have you installed a larger than stock alternator? If you had a short, the main breaker should have popped. I'm trying to get a idea of why the burnt wiring.

Skidim does have wiring harnesses.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2007 at 8:30pm
get a new harness from skidim and you will be done in about hour or so.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2007 at 11:54am
The old belt may have been slipping but the new belt was not slipping, Regards to add-on it is stock other then a electronic ignition and I installed a depth sounder to replace the clock. Nothing other then that. I am thinking the alternator wires may have been cracked or touching and that may have caused the melt down. Not all the wires in the harness are burnt so I am going to look it over this weekend and replace the ones that need to be replaced and leave the rest no need to break something that has been working.

Let me know if I am on the right track. I talked to woody at southeast correct craft and Vince at SkiDim:

Vince said he has a harness but it would need to mod. To word.

Woody said just replace the wires that are fried and leave the rest. And splice into the harness before the plug.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic