NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reid this is it

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reid this is it
    Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:57am
Reid this is just what you need . Better jump on it . It looks cheep .

Ford turbo Big Block
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 2:02am
nice too bad it's not a supercharger for the low end grunt, but man the top end has to be wicked.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 2:05am
Turbos are awsome:) but a supercharger would be 500 times easier in a boat because you could still run the water through the manifolds. There was a vortech stetup on Ebay not to long ago for ford marine engines:)
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 10:28am
Excuse my ignorance, but why would a turbo not allow you to run water through the manifolds? Would the water ruin the drive impellers of the turbo, or help drive the turbo?
Hopefully this ? doesn't fall into the "dumb ? of the month"
Lefty
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 10:35am
i think it would convert it to steam, the water would not cool it fast enough,I cant remember on the diesel boats on how the water would bypass the turbo's, but it did, we had 3 engines with twin turbo chargers, we could not get the boat out of the hole we tried everything, the engines would come up to about 1200 rpms and stay there and blow smoke. Finally what we did is we ran 3 air vent tubes down to the top side of the props to airiate the props, when those turbos spooled up you thought you were in the space shuttle
"the things you own will start to own you"
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 12:51pm
Thanks Pat. I was actually in the truck making a beeline for Phoenix when I found out it wasn't reverse rotation. Oh well. Sho 'nuf is purdy though.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:17pm
too bad its not a chevy...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:29pm
Now Steve, come on, with that SS you need to start thinking Mopar!

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, but why would a turbo not allow you to run water through the manifolds? Would the water ruin the drive impellers of the turbo, or help drive the turbo?
Hopefully this ? doesn't fall into the "dumb ? of the month"
Lefty

Tull, If you look at this picture, you will see that the cooling water running through the manifolds is bypassed around the turbos to the exhaust riser with the short piece of hose. No water through the tubos.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

Now Steve, come on, with that SS you need to start thinking Mopar!

Chuck

Chuck,
All the SS' I had ( and still have) are Chevy powered... but the 'Cudas were Nopower...I mean Mopar... now Im really confused....
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 2:09pm
For sustained runs the turbo is an excellent choice but not for ski boats, in a ski boat a super charger is the way to got as 79 said earlier, the turbo lag is problem. a turbo charger doesnt have the ability to compress air as does a roots type supercharger, because of this you want to run low compression pistons because it kicks up the compression ratio, a rotary screw air compressor is a good example of a roots type compressor if you are familier with them
"the things you own will start to own you"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 4:21pm
Its a 460 ford, turbo lag isnt going to be a problem because even with the lower compression that thing is going to have torque to spare on the bottom end.

Reid should buy it and convert it to RR... sounds like theres a company that will make some custom reverse rotation roller blanks..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 8:59pm
Not that I would even consider it, but wouldn't that thing make ungodly amounts of heat and pretty much cook an engine box, or no? I see it moreso in a I/O boat with a large engine compartment or maybe a flatbottom exposed-engine scenario.

And Joe, while I'm with you 100% on the torque, I still see it possibly being a slug out of the hole, as you're gonna prop it larger for the max rpm gains resulting from the turbos. In a car you have the benefit of multiple gears to compensate. Interesting.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 9:30pm
Everything looks to be water jacketed except the turbos, worst case we could water cool your motor box but I hightly doubt it would be a problem. You will need a huge prop but it will slip a bit and by then your building boost. Might have to give some consideration to that when your specing out your rr roller cam though to make sure you can jump on plane.

It looks and sounds like a seriously done right motor, I can't imagine the reserve
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 12:24am
Why would you have to make it reverse rotation ?
Get a Classic with the steering on the left side . Or a 1:23 - 1 trans and prop it right .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 3:36am
Pat, Those suggestions were a joke right? If that engine had about 300 less HP those would both be great ideas however.

EDIT: Speaking of the Classics, our 390 is finally running up to par with some hours on it and a 4 blade OJ from Doc. So if 330 HP will push one 51 mph, what do you reckon 650HP would do?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 3:46am
Alot. We did 6...do I hear 8?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 5:45am
67 mph in the classic would be my guess, slight motor box modification required. I bet that 390 is pushing 350
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 11:50am
Sorry John, but no ski pole in the Classic, go figure. So what would we tie the ropes to, Backfoot100 Eddie's forearm maybe? But then he couldn't be one of the footers.

Joe, I WAS hoping 340-350, but I feel the boat would be running faster if so, and that's why I dropped my estimate. The engine made 320-335 in a car back when, and I've got the same .480-490 lift cam spec as the 335hp model, plus an intake and slightly better heads and same 10.5 CR. The boat supposedly does weigh about 2400 based on a 'cuda, but I've never seen an actual Classic weight in print. We're still tinkering however, but I'm trying to contain myself from beating on it like we do the Mustang.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 8:47pm
Reid,
I got 2425 lbs shown in the doucumentation I received with my Classic.
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 11:38pm
Reid   I would suppose with 650 hp. you would be pushing close to 102 mph . If my educated guess is right . I figure double hp. = double mph.

But then again I did graduate 5th grade.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2007 at 3:09am
102...wow..parts were falling off his boat at 45mph before, I wonder what happen at 102, I know one thing he wont have to worry about his hair blowing around!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2007 at 3:42am
Score one for MM!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 12:18am
John, please don't encourage him.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 12:23am
He needs no encouragement.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Joe, I WAS hoping 340-350, but I feel the boat would be running faster if so, and that's why I dropped my estimate. The engine made 320-335 in a car back when, and I've got the same .480-490 lift cam spec as the 335hp model, plus an intake and slightly better heads and same 10.5 CR. The boat supposedly does weigh about 2400 based on a 'cuda, but I've never seen an actual Classic weight in print. We're still tinkering however, but I'm trying to contain myself from beating on it like we do the Mustang.

Well 325 or 350 it sounds like she is coming along pretty good, I agree she is a little too pretty to beat like a standard Windsor block engine especially considering you have a few other options when your looking for all out speed.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic