Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

repaint

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
lilltechile82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 9:23am
do you think because its been that way so long they look like that
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 10:17am
82, No we are starting to think you have stringer problems. Just as skibum found and posted the pictures of his cracks that went through the gel and into the fiberglass, you may have the same condition. It may be time to start thinking about looking under the floor.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 10:21am
That is even worse than my boat. You need to plan for a total repair of the stringers and hull before doing anything else.

Stringer and Hull Repair

There are plenty of step by step photos, materials lists, and lessons learned in this string. Before you commit to this project take a look at what you are up against.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 12:15pm
I had a stress crack in the same spot due to my floor seperating from the side fo the boat. If you run fat sacs on either side of you motor for very long they will seperate. My dealer said that from 82 to around 86 CC did not put enough glass along that joint. They have repaired a ton of them mine included!!!!! This was someone from Southwest Correct Craft so I am confident they would know. I had four addition layers of glass installed on mine by them to stiffen up my boat. Made a huge difference!!!!

Brad
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 5:31pm
The good news is that it's worth fixing a Correct Craft! Good luck.

Ken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 7:36pm
what would fixing the hull consist of

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 8:01pm
rough ideal what do you think this will cost

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 8:27pm
i saw some other string and got ideas is there some body that mite want to tackle this job
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 8:49pm
someone else doing it is going to be very expensive, for that much work.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 10:34pm
wow...sell it on ebay and buy another one!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2007 at 12:00pm
what is something like this worth the rest of the boats in nice shape
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2007 at 12:20pm
That looks pretty bad. I have some gelcoat problems that I am going to tend to this summer, but nothing that serious.

Here are some quotes for stringer and floor repair:

Stringers, labor, materials-1775
floor, labor, materials- 860

I think the gelcoat work is something you might want to consider yourself if you are somewhat of a handyman. The stringers and floor are very time consuming, and unless you take an approach like skibum, you might screw it up. The gelcoat will also be time consuming, but if you screw it up, you can always sand it off and try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2007 at 12:33pm
i'm in minnesota were would a guy have to go for that price. i would remove motor and interior and maybe remove the floor but i seen in the skibum project that you got to remove and replace the stringers one at a time. i think i could handle the gelcoat
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2007 at 3:25pm
Kodak Tennessee is where I am taking mine. It takes the guy about a month, so factor in that you will be shipping the boat twice. I really trust this guy. He has been working with boats for 35 years and has worked for some of the big boat companies located in TN. He got tired of the corporate scene, so he started building custom racing boats. He also does stringer repair and the pictures he sent show awesome work. He also promised me a warranty in case his work is defective, but he swears he does it right the first time.

The guy I am bringing it to does not want me to remove the floor, just the engine and carpet. He said I can even leave the wiring in so that he can put it back in before he puts the floor in.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2007 at 5:04pm
82, In the land of a thousand lakes, aren't there thousands of guys that work on boats? Have you checked with marinas? Ask around to other boaters if they know someone in the area. A small 1 or 2 man shop will probably be cheaper but find out his reputation first. This is not a good time of the year to have this work done. You may end up getting it mid summer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2007 at 10:44am
that would be ten thousand i did a little checking and come acrossed some big numbers
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2007 at 12:57pm
82, Hopefully you paid little numbers for the boat!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2007 at 2:40pm
chil,
Your boat is not a total loss. Just depends on what do you want to do? If you are willing to spend about $1500 in parts and tons of your time in labor you can revive that boat. You don't have to do everything at once. You can do repairs to the stringers and floor to get you through the season. Or, you could do repair the stringers and floor in 3-4 weeks (depends on how much time each day you can work on it) for$500-$700. Leave the gelcote work for this winter. If you really want then grind of the gelcote in the areas that are cracked. Match the color as best you can and repair. There are many options.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2007 at 5:43pm
i'm not to fimailar with fiber glass the wood part wouldn't be a problem
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2007 at 8:14pm
I can't help it; this post reminds me of a very old joke:

A man is hired to paint a house, but he severely underbid the job. In order to make ends meet he drastically thins the paint. He gets done with the house and gets paid. A week later a big thunderstorm strikes and the paint washes off the house.

The painter is contacted by the owner and at first does not agree to make the job right. Later that day the painter changes his mind after he hears a voice from heaven, dramatic and strong saying, "Repaint and thin no more!"

Sorry, Chuck

Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic