NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting 87 SN Floor/Stinger Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 11>
Author
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 7:29pm
Skibum
   Talked to a couple of engineers at work today. Here goes,the stuff that leaves the vinyl ester resin when it's curing is styrene it's heavier than air so it's kind of traped in the bottom of the boat. If you move the air with a fan that will move the styrene off the surface and help cure the resin.
Also with epoxy resin sometimes,when the stars line up right there's something called Amine Blush on the surface of the cured epoxy. You my or may not be able to feel a greasy film . The Amine Blush may inhibit the cure of vinyl ester resin if its in close proximity. It happens for a lot of reasons high humidity, petroleum fueled heaters,temp swings ect...
It will help if you're trying stick anything to epoxy,( more epoxy, paint ect..) to use an acetone wipe on the epoxy and a lite scuff with sandpaper, soap & water won't hurt either. If vinyl ester is used over epoxy all bets are off, if it cures ,it wont stick very well.

Anyway glad to see your back on your feet.

Our composite materials lab (where I work)
has some pretty sharp guys. Here's my work # if you want to give a shout out
252-464-7167 We repair all Navy - Marine helo's AV-8b Harriers, V-22 Ospreys & more.     

- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 8:20pm
I was warned about the "amine blush" before I applied the vinyl ester resin. I sanded the entire surface of the epoxy resin before I applied the vinyl. I will set a fan in the bilge to try to circulate the air. I use a kerosine heater for my primary heat source in the garage. You mentioned that petrolium fueled heaters may be a problem. I have the humidity and the heater.

No worries. The vinyl ester resin is almost cured completely from the engine compartment to the stern. Once the front catches up I'll be sanding sanding then applying a finish so I can set the floor. Just need a few days to let the chemicals work.

Might just give you a call too. Thanks.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 8:45pm

Starting to recover from the vinyl ester disaster. The bilge cured enough that I could grind and sand it back to epoxy. Used epoxy resin, thickener, and 3M Gla$$ Balls applied in a thick coat over the front of the bilge. When this cures it can be sanded smooth. Probably one more application after that sanding and the front of the floor can be set in place. Then the rest of the floor. Once finished I'll deal with the rest of the bilge.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 9:25pm

I finished sanding the front portion of the bilge that would be covered by the plywood portion of the floor. Applied gla$$ and resin attaching the floor to the stringer where the plywood covers the bilge. Will come back with additional gla$$ and epoxy once the floor cures to make sure that the connection between the plywood floor and the stringers is totally water tight. Used Microfibers with the epoxy to help with bonding. The weights are just keeping downward pressure on the bonds until things cure.

Starting the rest of the floor tomorrow. Will worry about cleaning the remaining vinyl ester gunk out of the bilge later.

Checked out the Louisville, KY boat show today. Great inspiration to get this thing finished.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 9:39pm
Origional plan was to fill and sand the bilge until it was perfectly smooth, then apply vinyl ester resin so I could apply bright white gelcoat to the entire bilge. The vinyl ester resin would not cure, created a huge mess and spent days getting it cleaned up.

New plan. Ordered more gla$$ bubbles, epoxy resin, and some bright white tint for the epoxy. This should still give a smooth, shiny, water proof bilge. Time will tell.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 6:08pm

Gla$$ed the observer side of the floor today. Started with the biaxial mat. Stuff is very thick. Followed that with a layer of epoxy mat which was also quite thick. The final layer of gla$$ was 10oz cloth for a smooth finish. It took two gallons of epoxy resin. Extended each consecutive layer of gla$$ farther up the side of the hull at 2", 4", and 6". Same with the gla$$ that connected to the stringers where it eventually extended the height of the stringer. Spent a long time rolling out the air bubbles. Could feel the heat from the resin curing. The combination of the three gla$$es is quite thick and absorbs plenty of resin.

Plan to do the other side of the floor tomorrow. Then, decide whether or not more layers will be needed. Probably base that decision on how much epoxy and gla$$ I have remaining.

To finish the floor I'll have to use epoxy and fairing compound to fill in low spots. It should turn out just fine. No worries.

The bilge is still a crime scene. Once the floor is finished I'll have to grind the remaining vinyl ester away. Then several applications of epoxy and 3M gla$$ bubbles followed by sanding.

Looking better anyhow.
Bill
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 7:17pm
Skibum
Good talkin to ya Friday, glad things are going your way now. " Not much of a hill for a climber" and Dude Your a Climber!!!
Your doing a great job.   
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 6:35pm

Gla$$ed the driver side of the floor. Same layup as before: biaxial, mat, and cloth. The work from yesterday was cured and seems very sturdy. Probably don't need more gla$$ but have not decided yet.

Need to climb under the plywood on the floor and attach strips to seal off the bilge from the floor. Probably install a brace then as well.

Looking much more like a boat. The back half of the bilge looks like Baghdad. Plenty of work left.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 6:49pm

The top photo shows the layup used for the floor. The biaxial is quite thick and so is the mat. Each side absorbed two gallons of epoxy resin.

The bottom photo shows the gla$$ required for one side. That is a lot of gla$$ saturated with epoxy.

Even so, leaning toward adding more gla$$ to the floor before I use fairing compound to smooth out the bumps.
Bill
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 4:47pm
Hey Bill,

I am very impressed with your work. Owning a 1983 2001, I am thinking about taking on the same job myself this summer.

I was wondering, what type of materials to use (such as fibergla$$ types and resins). Also if any special tools were needed. I have experience working with engines and fibergla$$ on boats, but never something of this extent. About how much money did you spend in material and how much time in labor?
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 6:38pm
Also, what brands and websites did you shop from.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by leo0648 leo0648 wrote:

I was wondering, what type of materials to use (such as fibergla$$ types and resins). Also if any special tools were needed. I have experience working with engines and fibergla$$ on boats, but never something of this extent. About how much money did you spend in material and how much time in labor?

The only special tool I used was an engine crane to remove the engine. That is one option. It is not the best either because the crane does not extend far enough to the center of the boat and I had to deflate a tire to clear the boat. Another option is a tripod with a ratcheting chain lift. Some people have used the rafters in their garage and a come along. I don't recommend that method.

To remove the floor and most of the cutting I used an air powered hand saw. Got it at an auto parts store. When the blades are good they pull right through the cut. Blades are inexpensive. To remove the foam I used a 24" long wrecking bar (bent on one end - straight on the other) and a variety of metal scrapers (1", 2", and 4" wide). For grinding the excess gla$$ and bumps I used an electric grinder with a flapper belt. For most sanding I use an orbital sander. To adjust the heightof stringers and other shaping I used a hand plane, level, tape measure, and dial caliper. To cut the gla$$ I use scissors. To apply the resin I use disposable wood handle brushes. To get out the bubbles I use a 3/8" roller.

For all work in the floor, stringers, and anything else between water and the floor I used epoxy resin (635 thin resin). For the gla$$ I used a lot of the 8.9oz cloth tapes (2", 4", and 8" wide). Primarily I use 10oz E gla$$ cloth for the finish; biaxial mat is awesome for build up and adds strength; epoxy mat is good for adding thickness. For bedding the stringers use chopped strand filler (I used micro fibers but apparently they don't add strength). For thickening I use aerosol-cabosil. For a sanding filler I use 3M gla$$ bubbles or fairing compound. The foam I used was 4lb.

Buy almost everything from US Composites. Many thanks to Mark who has given me plenty of technical support on the phone.

US Composites

So far as cost I lost track long ago. (Won't be buying that Perfect Pa$$ this season). I can say that for installing the stringers you need one gallon of epoxy resin per stringer. 10yds of mat, 10 yds of cloth, 50ft rolls of 2" 4" 8" 8.9 oz cloth, 5qts of chopped strand filler and cabosil will laminate and bed all of the stringers. The floor used two five gallon buckets of foam, 10yds of biaxial, 3yds of epoxy mat, and 3yds of 10oz cloth and 2" 4" and 8" rolls of 8.9 oz cloth. All together used six gallons of resin to make the floor.

As for time. When I planned this project I thought I would be done in 10 long 12 to 14 hour days ( I took a vacation). I started this project before Christmas. I am still working on it now. Some of that is because I was really not managing my time properly. I was able to cut the floor and remove most of the foam in one day. I had the rest of the foam out and one stringer in one day. Took 3 days to make, laminate, install, bed, and shape each stringer. Took two days to pour and shape the foam. Two days to gla$$ the floor. When I say days, I mean I went to work before the sun came up and stopped when my wife turned off the breakers in the garage.

Eventually I will put together a journal with photos, tools, materials, and lessons learned about the project. I'll burn a bunch of disks and send them to CCFans if they pledge a donation to the site. For now if you need more specific info send me an email if you want:

Bill

Good luck.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 7:13pm

I added 2", 4", and 8" 8.9 oz cloth tape connecting the floor to the hull. Then added a layer of biaxial mat. Used another couple gallons of epoxy resin. The floor is now thicker than the origional. You may be able to see low and high spots on the floor. Don't know how that happened. Great planning - poor execution I suppose. Anyhow, when the floor cures I'll mix up a gallon of epoxy with some fairing compound and go back through to fill the low spots and blend the steps on the side of the hull.

There will be a little more work to do at the bow. Going to have to add a layer of biaxial to bring it back to the right height.

Maybe in two days I can grind and sand off the rest of the vinyl ester from the bilge. The floor is almost finished.
Bill
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 8:28pm
Thanks,

I will definately make a donation for that disk.

What is the reasoning for the different width tapes (2" 4" 8")? Is it to build up a slope?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 8:30pm
Don't be so hard on yourself Bill, I can't wait to see it colored and finished. Better than original by a long shot, awesome work man.
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 3:00pm
how about using this for stringers instead.

http://www.coosacomposites.com/bluewater.html
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 6:40pm

What is the reasoning for the different width tapes (2" 4" 8")? Is it to build up a slope?

When attaching a stringer to the hull or floor to the hull I use sequential widths of tape starting with the 2" centering it along the joint. This is followed by the 4" tape and then the 8" tape. Each layer doubles the first. Where the three layers overlap there is a large concentration of resin and gla$$. This helps to "bed" the stringer.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 6:52pm

how about using this for stringers instead. http://www.coosacomposites.com/bluewater.html

I visited the link you provided. The material looks like it would be a great replacement for any plywood applications in the boat and would certainly work for the secondary stringers which are made of 1" pine.

Waterdog, a veteran of the site, works with composites for aircraft applications. He has been trying to come up with some combination of composites that could be used to replace the wood stringer.

I considered several options before I started my project. In the end, I went with the wood. The origional stringers lasted tweny years. I am certain that with the precautions I took to water proof the stringers they will last more than twenty years. The wood is relatively inexpensive and strong enough to support the forces of the engine and drive train.

The guy on "Ship Shape TV" once built a boat where he installed foam core stringers. They were light weight and very much water proof. But he was installing them for an outboard.

I belive you could make an integrated stringer system like the modern ski boats. You are limited only by your imagination, skills, and patience.

Bottom line, I recommend just use the large fir for the main stringers. If you want to use the composite material for the sub stringers that would work fine.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 6:59pm

Thanks for the encouragement Alan.

Used just under a gallon of epoxy resin with fairing compound on the floor. First I sanded off the little bumps that mysteriously appeared. Tried to get the fairing compound where it was thick enough to fill properly but thin enough to run into the low spots to make the floor level. I think I mixed the compound a little thin. If you remember back, I made the floor a little higher at the hull so water would run into the bilge. Yeah, resin does the same thing as water. Most of the resin and compound stayed behind so the floor should be quite level. Just one more piece of the floor to finish now.
Bill
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 7:04pm
Bill,
This is a great looking project. Thanks for all the help.

Just curious, what branch are you in? I will be signing a contract soon over here at Texas A&M and will be going National Gaurd.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 7:14pm

This is the removable floor. The origional was made of 3/4" thick plywood. There was no resin, gla$$, or water proofing of any type on the origional floor. In reality, it did not have a lot of rot. However, it was heavy and somewhat saturated with water.

My concept is 1/2" untreated plywood. Applied epoxy mat then 10oz cloth on one side today. Will do the same on the other side when it cures. Also will make certain to saturate the edges very well. This will make the floor very strong and very water proof.

I did notice a problem with the stringers. With the floor laying in place the corner on the back observer side is higher than the front driver side. No worries. Just need to finish the removable floor piece. Then I'll set it in place and make the adjustments to the stringers.

I remember working with a level, dial caliper, and hand plane for hours on end. I really thought everything would turn out in the end. But, I have more work to do.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 7:17pm

Just curious, what branch are you in?

I am in the army. A cavalry scout MOS 19D4PD3YY. After my most recent trip to Iraq I was rea$$igned as a drill sergeant at Ft. Knox, KY. Rather be in Iraq.
Bill
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 7:36pm
And you still find time...
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 7:39pm
I'll sleep when I am dead. (Besides, we are on cycle break - no privates).
Bill
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 8:52pm
Thats how I feel most nights and mornings.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 9:33am
Skibum & leo0648

I checked out the composite web site http://www.coosacomposites.com/bluewater.html
looks promising. I'm going to get a half dozen
samples ,cut'm up and do some tests interlaminer shear,flexural,compression this stuff looks like the "ticket".
Skibum
Do you remember the weight of the 2 by 8 fir main stringers (1 ea. ) Thanks
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 10:25am
I bet the plywood is twisted. Not your excellent stringer/floor repair/replacment.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 10:58am
If I were a betting man (which I am not) I would bet with Mark Mel. Of course I could also see you checking it since you have been very thorough with this whole process. I say eff it and wrap that carpet around the edges so it will sort of self adjust.

Either way, awesome job and this is one of the best threads to consult for stringer/floor work.

P.S. Thank you for serving.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 11:57am
Here's some pictures for a local MA marine restoration shop. They did an interior and new stringers on an '87.

Ski Nautique

Ken
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 1:13pm
Waterdog, I think I am going to go the same route as skibum with wood. I didnt get a quote from coosa on the material, but my guess is that it is a lot more expensive than wood. If I do the stringer job, I am going to make it bulletproof just like skibum. I know that the wood will stay waterproof, but will it maintain its strength over 20-25 years? I haven't taken strength of materials yet in college, but I can imagine that all the energy that the stringer absorbs will eventually break down the integrity of the wood, even if the wood stays dry. With composite, I think you will maintain your strength over a longer period of time. Although, to me, 20-25 years with wood is pretty good. That would mean that my boat was 50-60 years old and it only cost me a summer of fibergla$$ work.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic