NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SURVEY: Nautique Trailers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SURVEY: Nautique Trailers
    Posted: March-26-2007 at 8:59pm
I am winding down on the 81 Nautique restoration and one of the remaining tasks is the trailer. I am personally fond of the original Correct Craft #3 trailer and am going to build a replica one for the 81. I am determined to doing this I began wondering what opinion all you collectors have about a classic sitting on any other brand of after market trailer. In your opinion does it detract from the boat? Does it matter to you? I am very interested in all input and view points.
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 9:22pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 9:26pm
hasbeenskier
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 12:48am
Boat looks great.I personally have passed on a couple of boats due to the trailer.If it is the same style I am ok but one was on a roll type trailer...Not my taste and probably interesting to launch as well.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 4:16am
Hasbeen, You may already know my answer but I'd say if you can't find a original, build one. From the looks of the boat, (looking great) and the work you put in to it, it seems that you have the ability to build a trailer. They, as you know are relatively simple. Get the 3" channel out and the welder buzzing!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 7:11am
Definately matters, these things don't look right on anything but a CC trailer. Detracts big time from the value in my opinion. They look Even better on a low boy so if you want some pictures and measurements of mine I plan on taking the boat off to do some bottom work this weekend. I think the major difference is the drop axle and prop guard.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 8:05am
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1046&sort=&pagenum=5&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970

The original trailer is a bonus, but not having one wouldn't keep me from buying the boat.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 8:29am
81, I guess i have a different mind set when it comes to trailers,and the job they do.
C/C builds the best ski and pleasure boats out there,1960s to 1975,they built their own trailers.
The boats were a 10 the trailers a 2,somehow this amazes me.Were the boats built in Fl. and the trailers at Bubba's Backyard Boat & BarBQue?................boat dr
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 8:42am
I like the originals, simple and low.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 9:28am
Inboard trailers evolved from wooden cradles. Correct Craft trailers are a good example of this. The trailers back in the day were unique, and I'd like one to match the boat, but it wouldn't be critical, as long as the trailer supported the boat.

Here's a photo of our old Barracuda on its trailer hitched to a 69 GTO. The boat sat pretty high, as compared to trailers today.http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=207&sort=&pagenum=11&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 9:39am
Just my opinion but these older boats look better sitting on a period correct bunk trailer. I think it's important for the package to look correct not just the boat. I'm in no way a purest but I want my boat to look as good sitting on the trailer as it does in the water. hence my search for a deluxe lowboy with the fiberglass skirts. Sooner or later I'm going to give up on that and make a mold and build my own.

Doc, I can't vouch for the build quality of cc trailers but I never liked to the short ones they put under the Tiques where you had about 3' of the boat hanging off the back but that's how it was done back then and still looks correct.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 10:43am
IMO having an original trailer is best, the coolest CC/Ram-Lin trailer we have had was the Low Boy Custom under the 77', similar to this one:

79' Ski Nautique On Trailer

Today there are some better trailer options then a Ram-Lin, when ordering our 99' the dealer had a Ram-Lin and Eagle right next to each other on the showroom, the Eagle appeared to be a much better built trailer hence we ordered one then and again for our 206.

If that was my 81' I would opt to put a factory trailer underneath it.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 11:08am
When I fist bought my 64 it was setting on a brand new Shorlander trailer. I thought the same thing,,gotta find an original trailer, but after pulling the boat across the midwest, Its not as big a deal as before.

One thing I do like about mine is it sits pretty low ,so you dont have to be as deep to launch. Also nice not having 12" tires as most of the early 60s trailers had.

I am planning on replacing the plastic fenders with metal ones and installing "guide-ons". Also planning on putting a set of Torque-thrust mags on it...and a prop guard. Hope to make it look a little more 60's...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 11:20am
Quinner, That's exactly right, when you put a boat on one of those it looks like it should be sitting in a trophy case.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 11:25am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Today there are some better trailer options then a Ram-Lin, when ordering our 99' the dealer had a Ram-Lin and Eagle right next to each other on the showroom, the Eagle appeared to be a much better built trailer hence we ordered one then and again for our 206.

If that was my 81' I would opt to put a factory trailer underneath it.

I agree with Quinner. For all the boats through the early 80's, the original CC trailer looks best, and anything else looks out of place. The newer boats dont look bad on their CC/Ramlin trailers, but they can look just as good or better on nice aftermarket unit (especially tandem axle). Functionally, Im not crazy about the new Ramlins- the hull fit isnt the greatest and they make a lot of noise. My '90 with an aftermarket tandem tows nicer than our '92 CC trailer ever did (or my dad's '03 Ramlin for that matter).
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 12:41pm
I have that same trailer for my 82 and while it does look pretty good I would like it much better if it had prop guard like the newer trailers.

Before realizing that I would be spending all of my money on my stringer replacement project I was thinking about adding a prop guard and maybe even a second axle.

With a metal break and minimal welding skills it would be super simple to recreate the fenders like on the old trailers. I think if you added those to a newer style trailer it would look pretty period correct.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 1:02pm
I like keeping everything as original as possible. However, I would probably purchase an Eagle trailer if original wasn't an option. The only thing I didn't like about my 1980 Nautique trailer is that the rear-end of the boat was floating in the air. The guides stopped at a certain point and left a chunk suspended. What's up with that?

Ken
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 1:27pm
Don't know how much it would cost to build a trailer, and because this is for a newer boat, it may be too long, but anyway, just FYI, here is a trailer on ebay

trailer on ebay
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 3:51pm
75, Axles are really pretty cheap even with a set of wheels and tires. It makes me wonder if they are coming over from China! The steel I would say would cost less that $250 and the rest is labor and paint. I didn't mention brakes since none of the early ones had them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 5:11pm
My parents 78 SN had the fiberglass trailer. I loved that thing. The fiberglass panels line the bottom of the trailer which kept the hull from getting rocks thrown up on it from the tow vehicle. The long steps on the side were nice also. I wished they had continued making these. I would have one for the BFN.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 5:54pm
A Correct Craft trailer is good, but a galvanized CC trailer is even gooder!!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 6:35pm
Madd (Man) Marxx... You had better put a lock on that thing It might turn up missing this week end bj
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 6:36pm
Good answers guys, and I thought It would be a majority. I will press on with the program .
hasbeenskier
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 10:21pm
Madd.... Thats a sweet trailer, I am building one, I never had the orginal, Can you measure the lengths of the frame from the hitch to the tailend, and from the hitch to the center of the axle? A few pics from different angles would be a huge bonus!!
NO LONGER A MEMBER
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 12:19am
mackwrench...I can do that for you, no problem!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 7:10am
MM, I have a galvanized CC trailer as well. Still solid as a rock after 26 years . Just doesn't look that great, I hear there's a 2 part primer you can use to go over the galvanized and then you can paint your color over that. That was supposed to be my winter project but I got sidetracked, maybe next year.

Mackwrench, I will post a few pics of mine this weekend, it has a prop guard so you may want to think about adding one to your trailer. It's a pretty basic item, very little fabrication.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic