Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1979 Ski Tique Transmission Problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Hayhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1979 Ski Tique Transmission Problem
    Posted: March-12-2007 at 2:04pm
I have a 1979 Ski Tique with a Borg Warner Velvet Drive 71C transmission. I just bought the boat and put it in the water this weekend to find that the transmission has problems. The boat will go into forward and reverse and has good power, but it will not go into neutral from the forward position. It will go into neutral from the reverse position, but has to be done manually, without the linkage. It's almost like the linkage needs to be adjusted, but inside the transmission. The transmission fluid was whitish-pink (water) so I drained and refilled. This did not fix the problem. Also has a clanking noise when in gear at idle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 2:08pm
you should have flushed it more than once but odds are the plates are stuck together from the water being in the case. Eric I'm sure will have a little more to say about it but it doesn't sound good. You need to find the source of the water maybe a cracked cooler, or the boat was flooded at one time.
Hayhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 2:17pm
Thanks for the reply. I ran out of daylight yesterday, but plan on flushing it again today. This is my second Correct Craft, the first was a 74 mustang. I rebuilt the mustang from the ground up, but didn't deal with the transmission, it was fine. Is there any way to unstick the plates without having to rebuild the transmission? Where is the cooler on the transmission? What is the best way to test the cooler for cracks?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 8:24pm
Shane, no quick fix on this one, the damage is done. there is slight warpage in the forward plates and chances are the water in the trans had something to do with the problem. as soon as water gets mixed with oil it completely breaks down the lubrcating qaulities of the oil and what happens is whats called heat smearing in the pump, the outside gear will heat because of friction and start to pull metal and lose clearance in the pump and allow the trans to slip.
clutch plates are not a cause for a transmission failure in which everybody thinks that you can throw in a new set and your on your way.
clutch plates really do not go bad...clutch plates fail from something else going bad and you have to isolate why. the rattle you are getting is probably due to a weak spring damper plate along with a slight miss (plugs, timing etc...)
You could pressure check your cooler but i doubt that is the reason for the water, with a cracked cooler you normally...normally will see a rainbow behind the boat and the trans will be low on oil
Eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
Hayhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 9:09pm
Eric, What would you do to fix the problem? Should I replace the pump and rebuild the transmission? The trans oil is not low and there was no rainbow behind the boat. I'm just not sure where to begin on this one. I have a mechanic that has done service work for me in the past who can rebuild the transmission and replace the pump, but I'm not sure if that will completely fix the problem. Can you provide any further guidance? Thank You for the help.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 5:01am
Hayhead, If the mechanic you have can't compleatly fix the problem, I would start to worry!! I think you need to ship the trans to Eric.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hayhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 10:18am
Eric, What are the costs involved to ship the transmission to you for rebuild/pump replacement?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 11:49am
Where are you located, if you would like call me 330-273-8291
need more info on what exactly happened
Eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic