Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can someone answer these questions?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TSarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can someone answer these questions?
    Posted: March-09-2007 at 8:47pm
There are some real experts here on Correct Crafts, I have three questions???

PLEASE HELP

I have a 1974 Correct Craft Martinique.

Quest #1 I am being told I have a crack in a manifold by a marina. The boat was running absolutely perfect and they noticed it while winterizing? How serious is this, and how much should I expect to pay to fix it?

#2 The boat has a large woodgrain steering wheel. I would like to replace it with a newer style smaller version with padding; WILL THE NEWER ONE ( say 1998ish ) fit on this steering shaft, and how hard would it be to change.

#3; Any suggestions on new front seats, is there a good on-line place to find seats or is it easier to have them fabricated at an upholstery shop.

THANKS FOR THE ASSISTANCE, IM NEW TO OWNING THIS BOAT

Tim S
Chicago Il
TSarge
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 9:00pm
#1 If you have the marina do it will cost a grand or more maybe,

if you do it then maybe a little under 200-250 depending where you buy the manifold. But don't run it with the cracked one unless your insurance is paid up on the boat and they well buy you a new motor when it hydrolocks and trashes the motor. To check if it is leaking it needs to be off and you need to fill it with water and look for water going out of the exhaust ports not through the riser section like it's suppose to.

#2 Not sure maybe not but you can get a different wheel non the less and change the looks pretty easily, it might work but I know the helms are different but the wheels may mount the same 74 and 98

#3 you might be able to get skins from Mid-west CC or other sources but really your just as well off using a local shop.

welcome and enjoy and don't forget to post some pictures in the diaries sectiona and meet up with the other chicago folks on this site, and Sorry about the BEARS lose,,, WORLD CHAMPS   INDY COLTS   go horse
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 11:05pm
Welcome Tim.
If you wait a bit, you'll get some other guys with boats the same vintage as yours to offer answers...
Are you talking about recovering the seats (follow 79's advice) or completely rebuilding/replacing them. That would make some difference...

good luck.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 7:53am
Tim, All wheels except the tilting have 3/4" tapered shafts so anything will fit. You may want to stick with something as close to original as possible but that depends on how much of a purest you are.

Regarding the seats / upholstery, I'm very much a purest and would hate to see a classic CC 74 with the junk aftermarket seats in it. Get them to a uphostery shop and they will be able to come real close if not exact to the original. The only problem they may have is getting the heat embossed fake pleated vinyl but this can be stiched in. I doubt that CC will have skins for a 74.

If you had a MasterCraft then I would say it would be OK to buy the cheap aftermarket seats!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 8:32am
Tim,
What kind of manifold is it? The dealer planning on a new one? You might be able to find a good used one thru. the "Parts Wanted Section" here.

To check it on the boat, couldnt you check it with air? Hook it up thru the water hoses..It wouldnt take much pressure to show a problem. Use a gauge and do a leak-down test? If it is cracked ,like 79 says.. Replace it.. a crack could let water in engine.. Not good!

As for seats, Id re-upholster...you can get the exact color /style what you ...probably as cheap or cheaper?

Enjoy the ol inboard ...you'll love her! Got pics?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 10:52am
Tim, This photo shows the stiched in rather than the heat embosed original.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 11:08am
that's a great color for a CC.

do you use teak guard on the platform? or just oil it up regularly?
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 11:09am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Man, I hope you can get one (or both) of those CCs to Green Lake this year. Come on Pete!

Rob
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 11:22am
79, A earlier thread had all the bad things about organic teak oils and how they actually feed the black mold and mildew. I have found that the non-organics are best and don't peel like the Teak-Gaurd does. The most important thing is cleaning which gets rid of the mold down deep in the pores of the teak.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 7:35pm
Pete, that Tique is awsome !!!!! My first CC was a brand new 1978 Tique in the same color. Only difference was the engine cover was completely covered. I loved that boat but out grew it with the family. You know I bought that boat for $7,500 new and sold it 10 years later for $7,500. Talk about value !!!
TSarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 7:58pm
Thank you to all for the help. You guys are really a wealth of knowledge. As soon as I get a little more info on the supposed "crack" in the manifold, I will come back for more help if needed.

I love the Ski Tique in those pictures, after seeing that, I want to sink mine. The pictures will definetly help with the upholstery!

Thanks again.
TSarge
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 8:22pm
Tim, Don't sink it!! Boats for alot of us are a "labor of love". We start with a wreck and with many man hours end up with great looking boats. You'll get there and stick with us for any help you may need.

Do you know what shape your stringers are in?

Get some pictures and post them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 8:31pm
I don't think I've seen your Tique before Pete. That is a real beauty. BKH
Livin' the Dream

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 8:40pm
Pete, your 77' looks amazing!! Was the teak platform original equipment in 77'? My first Nautique was a 77' Ski, it had the ladder on the back which I eventually removed when I added the teak.

Tsarge, Welcome to CCFan, another Chicago guy here, where do you ski?

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 9:00pm
Pete, you have to be kidding with that Tique. Just amazing. Giving Alan's 81 a run for the money with that one. WOW.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 9:25pm
Great looking boat, trailer, everything. I hope mine grows up to be like that!

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2007 at 7:54am
Thank's everyone. I got it last fall so I haved even had it in the water yet! I have been working on it this winter. It's a replacement for our day to day ski boat because the kid's have outgrown the 17' 140 HP I/O that I still need to sell and recoup some $$. We have always had a fiberglass boat for the sking since as my wife says it probably would be grounds for divorse if she scratched ether one of my wood boats!! The previous owner put the swim platform on it after removing the ladder. Being the purest I am I wouldn't have done it but looking through the Ref section ,I think I did spot a 79 with one so I guess that's close. As soon as the ice is out, I plan on getting it up to a lake just to the north called Powers Lake. I know there's a group of you guys on it so I'll keep my eye out and say hello. It will then go up to stay in northern wisconsin where I have a second home. Hope to get to GL but with only 2 weeks vacation and the 2nd home it will be a tough schedule.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2007 at 9:24am
I don't believe you could get a swim platform in 79 mine had a ladder that was replaced as well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2007 at 10:14am
79, I went back into the ref section and found the picture i refered to. It's a 79 American Skier with a swim platform.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2007 at 7:37pm
My 78 Tique did not come with a ladder or a platform. I added one that I got from CC, but do not remeber the year? I still can't remeber how we got in and out of the water without the platform?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 4:51am
2_ , I'm sure your 78 had the ladder like mine did originally. They weren't the greatest since you needed to be a contortionist to use them. I guess it was better than climbing over the gunnel though!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 7:30am
Those ladders are a pain.. Mine has a ladder and ones want to pull themselves up with the cross bar for the rope guide which usually gets bent.

Steve
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 7:32am
Pete, I had to get out the old photos to be sure, me memory gives out sometimes My tique did not have a ladder or platform when new. I still can't remember if we tried to climb into the boat or just used the dock????
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 11:17pm
Pete,
You did a fine job with your Tique!
Thanks again for making up extra decals for the older boats. Did your Tique come with that bench observer seat? My 79 has a single bucket observer seat and my kids would live a bench like that. I'm about to have the seats redone and was curious if it would be hard to change to a bench seat.
Gabe
Work to live, not live to work.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 4:43am
Gabe, The previous owner wasn't the purest like myself. He widened the observers seat by making new plywood for the back and bottom then used the original aluminum frame. It's a very practical mod so I'm leaving it until the day comes when I need to reupholster. Have you finished the carpet on the floor yet? I ask because the seat frame and the brackets on the floor need to be widened too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic