Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

scary day

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dobbinscorey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dobbinscorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scary day
    Posted: March-07-2007 at 9:46pm
Me and my best friend bought a used nautique last august. We were out on the lake near our house heading back to the boat launch when we saw a beautiful buck swimming accross the finger. We both watched him swim and thought about how this was the type of thing that we were so excited to experience as boat owners. Having only been looking at the buck for about 15 sec I turned forward and just as I did I saw a fat log right in front of me. The sound was so sickining that my heart jumped into my throat. I emediatly slowed the boat and after convincing myself that I had torn a gaping hole in the hull I figured that I ought to try to get back before our boat sunk. We limped back and pulled the boat out and found no severe damage. Now we are getting ready for our first whole season. Our prop has been fixed and hopefully our biggest mistakes are out of the way. Oh and by the way we have already had a launch while the plug sat in the cup holder. If there are any other mistakes that you may have had that you might be able to warn me of I would love to hear about it. I hope they are funnier than sad.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 9:52pm
So what did you tear up with the log? Only the prop?

Other mistakes to avoid...hmmmmm...don't bet on the Bears or Ohio St.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 9:54pm
make sure you keep the boat hooked up to the trailer(how ever you secure it to the trailer) until the boat is in the water and running. Then unhook and be on your way. When pulling it out make sure to rehook the boat to the trailer before pulling out of the water. You don't want to drop the boat on the ramp If you thought running a log over was scary, try dropping a boat of the trailer.

OH yeah keep a spare impeller in the boat incase yours goes bad. The wrench to change it with helps to.

Anyone else keep a jump box in their boat? I do, you never know. Sometimes you start having fun and forget how long the radio has been on. Someone leaves the key on, or someone else on the lake might need a jump.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dobbinscorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 10:03pm
We actually haven't had it back on the water yet, but we have had it looked at and they couldn't find anything wrong with the shaft or anything other than the prop, but the prop was pretty bad. We will put it back in the water sunday.

Hey thanks for the tip on securing the boat to the trailer. That sounds like it was quite an ordeal. I hope it wasn't as bad as it sounds. Were you able to fix it?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 11:36pm
Very funny Dude. OSU game still gives me fits, these gator guys down here will just not let me forget it.

I put my Yellow boat in once with no plug. Don't worry, every time out is a learning experiance.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 6:31am
As stupid as it sounds, I think we all have had the experience of forgeting the drain plug. Mine was making the mistake of not checking myself and thinking my son had put it in. I ended up blowing through a slow no wake to get the boat to the shore station!

Dobbin, There was quite a thread on hooking the boat to the trailer while launching or pulling out The general concensus was that it's important no matter what you've heard about CC's "drive on - off" trailers. We heard from several people that ended up with their boats on the ramp. Watch out for the logs!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 7:55am
I'd be one of them people who left the boat on the ramp while pulling out. NOT! I repeat NOT! a pleasant experience.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 9:03am
Welcome to the world of boat ownership!!! It doesn't matter how careful you are, it seems that at some point in time, something happens that you just want to kick yourself in the ass about.

A couple of things that I've had the pleasure to experience;
1) The plug (or lack there of). Also make sure that the plug is not only in but in very snug. Just last summer, I found the plug had worked it's way out after we had been on the water for almost two hours. I had been distracted while putting in the plug and probably only tightened it a turn or two, not all the way.
2) Backing the trailer too far into the water and without guide posts, hammering the prop against the steel trailer when the boat got off center. Ouch!!!
3) ALWAYS CHECK ALL GAUGES before you leave the trailer!!!!!! Make sure that everything is normal (the water temp wouldn't be but . CHECK ALL GAUGES occasionally during your boating session. ALWAYS!!!!!! I've had the alternator go out twice on me in the middle of the lake and end up getting towed in when the battery went dead the first time. The second time I noticed that the alternator wasn't charging and the battery was all that was running the boat. Made it back to the launch without incident just because I was watching the gauges. Those gauges are there for a reason, use them. I've gotten to a point that I give all gauges a quick look every couple of minutes.
4) Make sure that you use some sort of trailer tie-down on the back of the boat. The first time you hit a good bump and the rear end of the boat jumps a couple of feet into the air and slams back down on the trailer, you'll remember!!!

I've also started carrying a remote starter switch in the boat that has saved my bacon more than once and a couple of other boaters too. Takes up no room and only costs a couple bucks.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 10:16am
Putting the axle of a trailer off the back of a concrete launch ramp was one of the most embarrassing incident I had a part in. A lifted dodge with 39 inch tires and hemi won't do you much good when you have a square trailer crossmember that your trying to pull through 8 inches of concrete.

More fun was finally getting the 2000lb trailer back on the ramp utilizing every bit of leverage and wedge like flotsam in the area (had to fight the mocs for one board but it was key to the efforts) only to realize that even with one axle off the end of the ramp and most of the air let out of the front axle tires we still couldn't get the 5500lb boat back on the trailer, this being the last open ramp on the lake (others had already been left high and dry due to drought) and it getting dark we were in a pickle.

We actually ended up dumping the trailer back off the ramp and I spend the next hour under water pulling on ropes and straps to pull the trailer up to the boat and repeating the lever/ramp process again....

not only did we not get to go skiing that night we were also out of luck for the rest of the season on that lake..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 10:39am
Hey Joe, What's a "moc". I'm here in the midwest and have never heard the term. A "native American" ??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 11:46am
When I bought my boat the guy forgot to put the plug in on the test drive. He was really embarrased.

Make sure and check your bearings on your trailer. THere is nothing more embarrasing than taking a bunch of friends camping and ending up stuck in a public park in some tiny town in Oklahoma. Plus I had to have the trailer and boat put onto a flatbed tow truck with the wheel falling off. It was very stressful situation. I would definetly get a good set of bearing buddies if you don't already have them. I always shoot some grease in them every time I hook up to go somewhere.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 11:54am
On that note, everyone have a safe boating season.

My drain plug hangs between the throttle control and the neutral button. If I attempt to start it without the drain plug in, the drain plug will clank out of place and hit the floor. So far, no issues.

Ken
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 12:21pm
moc = moccasin, short for the Cottonmouth Water Moccasin which love to lie on branches, boards, etc at the waters edge in those parts.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 1:16pm
Joe, Thanks for filling me in! I didn't know that the mocs liked their boards that much!!

Sounds like the bottom of the ramp was washed out from people powering their boats onto their trailers. CC I think invented the concept but now I see the newer trailers have winches on them. I really hate it because I've been there with the trailer wheels in the bottomless pit from the powering on to the trailer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dobbinscorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 3:30pm
Aren't water moccasins a very posinous snake? I live out in northern california and we don't have anything in our waters like that. I have always wanted to visit florida and go to a ski school but the stuff I have heard is in their water gives me the creeps.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 3:47pm
Dobb I never left my boat on the ramp, was just giving some insight of what not to do. As 8122 stated there is a rather indepth thread on whether to hook the boat to the trailer or not while launching and loading.

I hope never to leave one on the launch ramp.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 4:12pm
8122pbrainard,
     It was about a six foot solid concrete drop off on the end of that particular ramp so the power loading wasn't too much of an issue. Couldn't believe how much a dropoff it was till I decided to see if I could stand on the bottom and overhead press the trailer up high enough to clear the crossbar. Turns out I can't overhead press a 2000lb trailer while holding my breath...

dobbinscorey,
They are small little snakes that are territorial, agressive, and poisonous. However on that particular virginia lake it had been at least 10 years since someone skiing too close to shore fell a little too near a den and didnt come back out. I must say being a northern cold water boy I never quite got over the creepy feeling in some of the southern waterways either..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 4:48pm
i forgot my drain plug when nite on my old renken.we were going out at nite to catfish when my buddy standing in the boat yells "hey theres a lot of water in here". i replied to him that thats because it rained a few hrs ago.it finally dawned on me the plug wasnt in..so clothes on and all i dove under the boat and put the drain plud in..after the boat was half full of water..
CCrider89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCrider89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 10:03pm
I saw a guy standing on the ramp looking into the water at his car, trailer and boat. The car was up to the windows in water. He forgot to put the car in park and his parking brake let go as he was getting out to get the boat started.
The guy called a tow truck and pulled the whole mess out.
Since then I have always used two chocs behind the vehicle wheels with a short rope to the hitch from each. When you drive forward they get pulled to the center and are not in the way of the trailer wheels.
CCrider89
Boating in the northern Adirondacks
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 10:29pm
Don't do this.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
Ski Texas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 11:38pm
Doesn't apply to nautiques, but be sure to raise you motor on an i/o before you pull it out of the lake
3/4 of the Planet is water
Spend 3/4 of you time on the water
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 5:43am
Ski, Yeh, have you ever noticed all the scrape marks up the center of the ramps?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 8:39am
So here's another one for you.

Don't leave the ski platform at home.

If I want to use the other stall in the garage, I have to take the ski platform off the boat so I can get it all the way in the garage and also get the truck in.

One day, I invited some co-workers out to go skiing, wakeboarding, etc. Rushed home after work, got the boat hooked up, grabbed towels and munchies, and off I went. Half way to the boat ramp, which was a 40 minute drive that day, I got a sinking feeling in my stomach. I had forgotten to put the platform on the boat. Now I've never tried getting back in the boat w/o the platform, and I'm sure it can be done, but it didn't seem like it would be much fun, escpecially for guys coming out with me for the first time. I was already running late, and turning around to get it was out of the question. Fortunately, a good friend of mine who lived closer to the boat ramp let me borrow his boat for the evening which save the day.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 8:45am
It's not much fun trying to pull someone out of the water and into the boat without anything to step on. It does pay to be a good friend once in a while for times like that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic