NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

lifting ring area repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
michigan dave View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lifting ring area repair
    Posted: March-07-2007 at 3:00pm
Both of the lifting rings on the Correct Craft inboard I am working on have "wallerd" out the surrounding fiberglass area. This allows the ring to wobble side to side. and eventually allow water to enter the core in that area.

Here is a 6 dollar fix for this problem. The plate in the picture can be bought from any T-top or tower builder. Its basically a mounting plate for the top to the floor. They weld the pipe to this plate when fabricating. I bought this one at Wolfs for 6 bucks.

I did have to enlarge the hole about a 1/16 of an inch. to get a nice smooth fit.

I used 4200 sealer to fit/seal the plate to the deck.

dave.

1984 Fish Nautique
351ci- 14x13 four blade acme
south haven mi.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 11:38am
Good solution. Is it just me, or that ring designed to be used as a rope attachment point (for towing)? Feed the rope loop through and hook over each finger.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 11:52am
David, Michigan didn't say what year the boat is but I have seen lifting rings that shape on older boats. The shape is for attaching a rope like you mentioned but it's for the mooring lines and not towing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 11:56am
David, I think that subject has been touched on before,and IMHO it is to be used for lifting the boat,vertical load.The pull of a skier,tube,26 ft. parasail,are loads this item was not designed to do.I think that is why they are called "LIFT EYES"
Then you have a bar that goes in front of the motor,it's called a "SKI PYLON" this will hold anything your boat will pull,and yes it will endure the parasail.Makes the boat roll tho,have now installed two tow eyes thru the transom,the correct way to pull the chute.............boat dr
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 12:32pm
yeh, yeh, I have heard it all before. That is why I made the comment about how it "looks" like it was intented to be used as a tow point. Sorry if I started the debate again. I am on the side of the fence that says us it to pull whatever.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 1:05pm
I know its suposed to be used for lifting but when the kids say "Dad pull us around the lake" whats a Dad suposed to do. I suspect the damage done on this rig was from towing a disabled boat or storm surge while moored.
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 1:28pm
Ok, let me ask a question: Is that lifting ring supposed to be oriented 90 degrees to what is shown in the pics? If so, the design would suggest mooring instead of towing. In the picture, you will notice that the fiberglass is not damaged due to any possible horizontal loads, just worn our from years of vibration/abrasion.

On my '93, CC placed a towing spool on the stern deck. the spool is simply through bolted with an aluminum backing plate. The through bolt is either 5/16" or 1/2" max...much smaller than the hub of the lifting rings. the smaller size would cause more stress to the fiberglass. I tow the kids from the spool all the time without any issues.

Now, in the picture above, the lifting ring does not screw to the deck to prevent rotation (like the new ones) this could have caused the wear to the fiberglass. Also the deck is allowed to flex up and down contributing to the wear. the new styles that screw to the deck have a plywood backing plate to suppport the deck (via a nut on the threaded rod) so that the screws do not rip out of the fiberglass if someone steps on the deck near the lifting ring. This equates to no movement and thus no long term wearing of the fiberglass.

Sorry for the long winded post, I am bored at work today.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 1:38pm
Those Eyes are the only thing to attach mooring lines to in the back on most of the older boats, kind of a PIA but the clean transoms look pretty.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 3:23pm
Will if it would have been me I would have cut the threaded rod down or loosen the jam nuts and screwed the lift ring down more instead of messing with adding the plate, it would have been a much cleaner look to me.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 4:31pm
79, I have to say that I agree with with you. It's the purest thing coming out in me again!! The boat didn't come with the plate on it. The only thing I would have added is some 5200 in the hole to help keep the eye from bouncing around.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 5:19pm
All good points but the fact of the matter is the fiberglass was worn to the point the flange of the lifting eye no longer covered it. Also I was too lazy to remove the 75 gallon tank to access the lifting ring rod..

This way the deck is supported for horizontal loads and the eye is still perfect for vertical loads. Best of both worlds. Oh and the picture that shows the hinge slightly off center, that is factory placement. So you see I am a purest. I didnt change that

dave
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 5:34pm
well the threaded rod is so short and with the L-bracket underneith (sp) the deck along with the large jam nuts too side loading was never an issue to start with.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 7:18pm
I use the rear lifting eye for pulling tubes, no problems here.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 5:37am
BFN, You refered to "pulling tubes". What are they?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 10:42am
Everyone has their own way of fixing things. I think the metal escutcheon looks fine (original or not). If it was me, I would wax up that lifting ring, fit it in place (leaving high) and force thickened epoxy round the lifting ring. Of course tape off or wax up the fiberglass deck first. Once the epoxy hardens, it can be sanded flush and the lifting ring now has the proper sized hole. Gelcoat can be applied if necessary.

Again, I think the escutcheon looks good.
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

...escutcheon...

Is that our SAT vocab word for the day? haha

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 4:03pm
Shot off the stern of the 78, one of my favorite photos, makes me wish it was summer for us in the north

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 8:03pm
Wow thats a clear picture, just a few more months of this crap weather and we can be back in the water. Your cuddy throws up a nice wake, I think it has the same hull design as my fish. Thanks for sharing the photo.

Here is one of my favourites, my wife Brenda fighting the first salmon caught on our CC.

dave
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
snapperscrapper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snapperscrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2007 at 11:56am
Just wanted to let you know that I like your idea. I also do alot of towing tubes and wake boards with my 23Fish and have had my eye loosen up. will probably copy yours. Thanks
snapperscrapper
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2007 at 12:02pm
Oh no, another tuber!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic