Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Part Name

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Part Name
    Posted: February-17-2007 at 5:39pm
What is the bracket called that holds the Steering Clamp Block that is mounted inside the hull above the strut?

Mine is aluminum, bent and cracked, and needs to be replaced.

I'm thinking of making one out of steel. Would this be a bad thing? Thanks d
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 9:53am
bracket
"the things you own will start to own you"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 9:54am
make it out of stainless, i really dont know what its called
"the things you own will start to own you"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 10:04am
sounds like a bad stringer and someone has moved the mounting point for the clamp block. I have seen pictures of guys making a bracket and attaching it to the strut mounting bolts.

this isn't a factory installed bracket and something that has been fabricated
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 12:56pm
Thanks Chris, I a$$umed there was something amiss since I couldn't find one anywhere. Guess it's time for another stringer inspection. d
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 1:32pm
Duffnit, what year is your boat? My '90 has a bracket installed on the strut mounting plate. I have no reason to believe this isnt the factory set up.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 8:01pm
was talking about the older boats I guess. I have a completely different clamp block set up.
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 8:32pm
Cool pic!
Thanks TRBenj, my bracket is the same as yours. An 89 SN BTW.

I had to run up to the lake today and while I was there I removed the bracket and checked the stringers which still appear solid.

I still think I'm going to make one out of steel, at least for the time being. Hoping to put the boat in for a first run toward the end of March. d
Danny

duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 8:51pm
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w160/uscduff/MVC-075F.jpg
Danny

duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 9:00pm

Cracked Bracket

This is what I need to replace. d
Danny

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 9:00pm
if you are having one made make it from stainless steel instead of AL.
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 10:08pm
While I concur with you and Eric about the stainless, isn't stainless brittle, while aluminum is soft? d
Danny

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 8:04am
Duffnit, The stainless isn't brittle. The 300 series alloys can't be hardened to that point because the do not contain enough carbon. Depending on the specific alloys, the tensile strength of the stainless is 3 to 10 times that of aluminum. The stainless is a good choice. A little harder to cut but a little easyier to weld.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic