NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Proper Position of Boat on Trailer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1987SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proper Position of Boat on Trailer
    Posted: October-26-2006 at 8:02pm
My 1987 Ski Nautique 2001 boat trailer has that adjustable front bow stop. The prop is aligned with the prop guard, but the back of the boat over hangs the back of the trailer. Is that the correct position? I have been told several variations of the proper tongue weight from 50 to 300 lbs (quite a range). Anybody out there have an idea? Perhaps just a simple distance in inches the back of the boat should over hang?

Thank you in advance.

1987 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 8:25pm
tongue weight should be 10%, your boat weighs ~2400 dry, so maybe a total of 3500 lb

Your boat position sounds fine
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 12:22am
I moved mine up an removed the spare tire to my truck bed when towing.I don't have a prop guard, but I like how my boat doesn't hang over as far.My prop has never hit.My truck is a silverado & can tow 8500 lbs ,so I'm not worried about a little extra tounge weight on my 6500 lb frame hitch.Thanks ,Dan
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 9:02am
The reason for the 10% is for handling issues, but sounds like your setup works so go with it. You're better off with too much tongue weight, too little and you'll be swaying all bouncing down the road.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 11:07am
Hollywood is right on the 10% for handling reasons. When you see those trailers fishtailing down the road they're not weighted properly.

You'd never see an outboard boat hanging off the end of the trailer like many of the inboards do. That would eventually cause the transom to sag and form a hook in the hull and would cause porposing.

There's really no weight on the transom of an inboard to worry about so the overhang is fine although it doesn't look it.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 11:43am
Agree with those answers! If your set up trails well...no need to make a change.

If yours bounces or sways...move it a few inches. I moved mine up a few inches because there was some bouncing...that solved it! Just 2 or 3 inches will change things quite a bit.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 12:07pm
My '87 hangs over the bunks about 6-8" (from memory) on a CC trailer. I can get a better dimension if you want, but the weight at the tounge is the key.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 1:09pm
[QUOTE=1987SN2001] Perhaps just a simple distance in inches the back of the boat should over hang?

I dont think there is a "simple distance" everyones trailer/boat are going to be a little different. My boat sits right at the end of the bunks, no overhang. Many overhang and thats correct on their application. I think everyone just has to tune their boat to their trailer and tow vehicle. In short, everyones advice above is correct.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 2:55pm
10% tongue wt. is spot on, also I try to tow
with as little fuel in the boat as possible.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 3:54pm

Looking at the photos of your boat, it appears the axle is centered under your motor which is exactly how those trailers are designed. If you need to adjust the tongue weight, I'd say you couldn't be off more than a couple of inches. BKH
Livin' the Dream

1987SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2006 at 4:28pm
Thanks for all of your replies. My tongue weight is 250 lbs. That is slightly over the 10%. However, the trailer handles well on the road. I was concerned about the over-hang on the back. You all answered that question as well. Thanks again.
1987 Ski Nautique
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2006 at 12:20am
My boat hung over like this guys when I bought it.I moved it to here.Both pulled great, I just didn't like it hanging off. I really need fenders!!! Dan
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

You'd never see an outboard boat hanging off the end of the trailer like many of the inboards do. That would eventually cause the transom to sag and form a hook in the hull and would cause porposing.

Hey Alan it's taken me a long time to stumble upon this post. I've been wanting to bring this issue back up since I see lots of outboard boats on lifts around us here (specifically Hydrodynes that I look out for), as well as kapla's dry boat storage pics. This can't be good! I'd imagine bouncing down the road would do more damage to the transom of an o/b if not fully supported underneath rather than just laying up on a lift or dry dock.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic