Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Southwind 18 bilge pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tom Southwind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Southwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Southwind 18 bilge pump
    Posted: July-24-2006 at 1:10pm
I bought a southwind 18 can some one tell me how the bilge system works. The pump is running but I can not find where is is pumping to it looks like it goes in to the floor but I cannot see where it goes.
Thanks
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2006 at 1:53pm
there is a thru hull fitting that the hose connects too. Mine is forward of the driver's seat. Look around on the outside of the hull and you should find a thru hull fitting with about a 3/4" dia hole in the middle, usually plastic but maybe metal. there should be another one that is chrome and smaller and that is the vent for the gas tank and mounted on the transom mostly.
fredo68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2006 at 3:31pm
what year southwind? and maybe if you hear the pump running you should pull the boat
and drain it from the bolt in the hull.
fredo68
Tom Southwind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Southwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2006 at 11:17pm
Ti is a 77 Southwind I have been drain with the plug I have never had much water in the boat I have only been out for short trips The pump is located about 6 or 8 inches in front of the drain plug will the drain I think I know the hole on the transom there is no water coming from that hole when pump is runing
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2006 at 9:14am
Perhaps there is not enough water in the bilge to prime the pump and remove the water.
It seems like you need 2-3 inches of water to actually prime and pump. That being said it won't remove all of the bilge water, or at least none of mine do. d
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 10:33am
It takes less than an inch to get water to come out of either of my Correct Crafts, you won't get much but you will get some. I would pull the hose from the pump, and either blow through or pour water through the through-hull fitting and make sure that the hose is attached to the fitting and there are no blockages.
-joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
fredo68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 11:48am
the hole in the transom is the gas tank vent.
you bilge through hull fitting will be on the
side. joes right check the hose for obstructions, however a new pump and hose is
a lot cheaper than a wet starter, or worse.

good luck
fredo68
oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 9:27pm
My 75 Southwind has the drain on the far port side of the stern. Further over then the gas tank vent.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic