Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Timing marks

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing marks
    Posted: May-31-2006 at 10:07pm
I installed my new ignition conversion today. Started right up and idles smoothly. I was advised to check the timing at idle, and make sure it was at 6 degrees BTDC (as it states in the manual). I didn't have enough daylight to do it today but I noticed that there is a "pointer" but no scale? Am I missing something? Thanks in advance!
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2006 at 12:42am
If your motor is a 351W Ford based engine, you have a pointer that extends outward from the timing cover and the "scale" you speak of should be on the outer ring of the harmonic dampener (mounted to the end of the crankshaft). It should have a "0" (zero) and some marks with other numbers such as 10, 20 and so on.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2006 at 8:01am
sometimes the timing marks get covered up with dirt, so take some carb cleaner and clean the edge of the balancer and you can use a piece of chalk and rub over the grooves/timing marks so you can see them easier.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2006 at 8:02am
sometimes the timing marks get covered up with dirt, so take some carb cleaner and clean the edge of the balancer and you can use a piece of chalk and rub over the grooves/timing marks so you can see them easier. 8 degrees is a better setting.
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2006 at 8:07am
Yes, Ford 351. Should have mentioned that in the first post. I'll clean that balancer up and see what I find. I guess I've usually seen the mark on the balancer and the scale fixed on the block. Thanks again.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2006 at 11:28am
To make the marks easier to read, my method is to use correct fluid (i.e. liquid paper) and "paint" the line I want to use for base timing and then another a set distance from base. This way you can estimate settings in between the two marks.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2006 at 7:26pm
If you cannot see the timing marks check to make sure you have your light connected to #1 cylinder. Ford's are different than GMs.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2006 at 10:50am
Thanks everybody. Good idea on the "white out", I'll be puttin the timing light on her tomorrow. I'll let you know! Thanks again.
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2006 at 10:18pm
Well, too rushed to put the light on it, but went out Saturday for a test run. Ran beautiful; idle, cruise and fairly high rpms. Lake was too rough to run WOT. The new prop makes an astounding difference. I'm assuming that the timing is close because it runs so freaking good. I wish we had more time to spend on the boat.....
SS-201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS-201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2006 at 5:28am
Go to a speed shop, buy a timing tape glue it on to get accurate reading. However the right way is to degree the cam find dead center or use a plug to be sure where the real dead center is. With hrs of runing the chain streeches and dead center changes
Also the orginal chain and sprocket are built in retardeds 9 degrees from the factory. Replace with the over the counter chain and sprocket and gain more power.
SS 201
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic